more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (24/02/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 24, 2018, 07:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Targett flourishing at Fulham under Jokanovic

Since making his debut for Southampton's first-team back in August 2014, Matt Targett has wormed his way into the starting line-up on a number of occasions through injuries, rotation and systematic changes. But ultimately, he's failed to ever truly cement his place in the starting XI, and is it any wonder with England International Ryan Bertrand as competition?

So with Targett being 22-years-old, and Southampton desperately struggling for form, the club came to the conclusion that a loan spell elsewhere would be best for his development.

Such a decision would only prove valuable, however, if Targett's receiving regular game-time and playing an attractive brand of football, that fits in with Southampton's ethos (even if our first-team are currently failing to do the latter).

His destination? Slavisa Jokanovic's Fulham, and since joining on the 22nd of January 2018, It's fair to say that this deal has worked out perfectly for all parties involved.

So join us as we speak with Fulham fan and sports journalist, Rhys Daly, to find out how Targett's settling into life in London.

What were yours and the Fulham fan bases initial thoughts when Matt Targett joined?

All the fans were delighted when he signed. From the start of the window it was clear we only needed a left-back and a centre-forward, something the board listened to and achieved.

At the start of the season we signed Rafa Soares on loan from Porto and I had high expectations of him. To my disappointment, Soares failed to achieve match fitness and force himself into the side, which left Ryan Sessegnon as our only player comfortable playing in that position.

How have Fulham fans taken to Targett so far?

Despite only making five starts, Fulham fans love him. His role gives Sessegnon freedom to play on the wing with security behind him. Having said that, Targett has been far more than just a shield; he likes to get forward and deliver crosses and even got on the scoresheet away to Bolton.

What have been his greatest strengths?

I've been particularly impressed with his 1v1 defending. Even though he is only 22, you can see he has experience at a higher level each time he plays.

Has he shown any areas of weakness so far?

The only weakness I've seen came against Bristol City last Wednesday. He wasn't directly at fault but their goal but it did come down the left side. He limped off injured but the club are yet to announce the severity of it so I expect it's just an impact problem.

What type of role and responsibilities has Slavisa Jokanovic handed Targett?

The combination of having a more balanced defence all while giving Sessegnon more freedom is already crucial to our chances of promotion. Jokanovic will have certainly told Targett how important he is and he will probably be thriving off being a key cog in the machine.

Given that he's made over 20 Premier League appearances for Southampton since 2014, have you been able to tell that he's plied his trade in England's top division? 

His Premier League experience has given him so much confidence, I would say he isn't far from being a regular in the top division and slightly unlucky to have not played more there already.

What have been his greatest strengths?

I've been particularly impressed with his 1v1 defending. Even though he is only 22, you can see he has experience at a higher level each time he plays.

Has he shown any areas of weakness so far?

The only weakness I've seen came against Bristol City last Wednesday. He wasn't directly at fault but their goal but it did come down the left side. He limped off injured but the club are yet to announce the severity of it so I expect it's just an impact problem.

What type of role and responsibilities has Slavisa Jokanovic handed Targett?

The combination of having a more balanced defence all while giving Sessegnon more freedom is already crucial to our chances of promotion. Jokanovic will have certainly told Targett how important he is and he will probably be thriving off being a key cog in the machine.

Given that he's made over 20 Premier League appearances for Southampton since 2014, have you been able to tell that he's plied his trade in England's top division? 

His Premier League experience has given him so much confidence, I would say he isn't far from being a regular in the top division and slightly unlucky to have not played more there already.

http://freshsaints.com/targett-flourishing-at-fulham-under-jokanovic/

WhiteJC

Mitrovic 'really happy' to open his Fulham account
by Dan on February 23, 2018

Aleksandar Mitrovic says he 'was really happy' to score his first Fulham goal at Bristol City in midweek and the Serbian striker is hoping that the goals will keep coming for the remainder of his loan spell at Craven Cottage.

The Newcastle striker, deemed surplus to requirements by Rafa Benitez in January, opened the scoring at Ashton Gate after latching on to a fine cross from Fulham debutante Cyrus Christie. Speaking to Fulham's official website, Mitrovic matter of factly suggested that scoring goals is what he is in the team to do:

It's my job to score goals so I tried to be in the box to think where the ball would go and I was right so I made good movement in a good moment and it was a tap in. It was a good ball from Cyrus and I was really happy to get my first goal and I hope I will continue.

It is important as well because my job is to score so I wanted to break that barrier but for me at this moment I want to help my team and to fight for every ball and to try to help them to win the game. I try to do my best to score goals but the team is most important and I think we are good, we showed good character.

The 23 year-old felt that a point piece was a fair result – although he was pleased with the draw given the number of top sides Lee Johnson's men have already embarrassed in this campaign.

It was not an easy away game and they have beaten big teams this season like Manchester United, and Manchester City really struggled, and in the end we nearly won, we could have lost but the point was fair enough for both teams.

Mitrovic believes he is getting sharper with each game he plays and hopes to play a considerable part in the Championship run-in as Fulham target promotion to the Premier League, which the popular forward achieved with the Magpies last year.

I've been starting games and I feel I am getting better and better, I'm getting sharper, I feel my movements are better and I hope I will get better and better as the season goes. I'm really happy to be here, I feel good and I hope I can help the team as much as I can, my job is to score goals and I will try to help my teammates with this.

He knows that the visit of league leaders Woverhampton Wanderers to Craven Cottage tomorrow will prove a stern test for Slavisa Jokanovic's side.

Every game is difficult in this league, there are no easy games. We don't have much time to prepare, we don't have so much time to recover so we tried to recover the best way we can, to prepare mentally and tactically for this game so we are ready. We are at home and we want to try to win every game this season, it's not going to be easy but we are ready.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/02/mitrovic-really-happy-to-open-his-fulham-account/

WhiteJC

Fulham favourite Tony Gale shares his thoughts on Wolves boss Nuno

Wolverhampton Wanderers boss Nuno Espirito Santo is a popular figure in the Championship.

Woverhampton Wanderers Manager Nuno Espirito Santo celebrates victory during the Sky Bet Championship match between Ipswich Town and Wolverhampton Wanderers at Portman Road on January 27,...

Fulham favourite Tony Gale believes Wolverhampton Wanderers boss Nuno Espirito Santo comes across as an honest, level-headed guy as his side prepare for their upcoming clash at Craven Cottage, Fulhamfc.com report.

The fixture this weekend arguably sees the two in-form teams meet in the Championship, with Fulham winning six of their last eight league games and Wolves winning seven of their last 11.

Wolves were labelled as one of the favourites to win promotion at the beginning of the campaign, and Nuno has dealt with the pressure well as his side remain nine points clear of second place Cardiff City.

Speaking in his column ahead of the encounter, Fulham favourite Tony Gale admits he has been impressed with the Portuguese boss and feels his honesty is one of his great qualities.

"They were the big spenders this season so there was quite a bit of pressure on Nuno, the manager, but I've been impressed with him," Gale told Fulham's official website.

"They lost up at Sheffield United and had someone sent off, and afterwards I said he deserved to go, which Nuno agreed with completely.

"There were no arguments, so he seems quite a level headed guy. There was a lot of pressure because of the money that was spent, but he's responded well."

Wolves won the reverse fixture at Molineux 2-0, but since then Fulham have picked up and their recent form suggests they can push on and challenge for that second automatic spot come the end of the campaign.

The Cottagers have won seven straight home games in West London, with fellow promotion challengers Derby County the last team to come away with a positive result following the 1-1 draw in November.

Wolves, on the other hand, are undefeated on their travels since October and many feel another six wins from their final 13 games should see them earn promotion back to the Premier League.

Nuno's current win percentage of 64.1% ranks among Wolves' best ever, and the former Porto man has all the qualities to help the West Midlands side establish themselves as a top-flight club.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/02/23/tt-fulham-favourite-shares-his-thoughts-on-wolves-boss-nuno/

WhiteJC

Nuno Santo to make 1 important change – Strongest 3-4-3 Wolves lineup to face Fulham

Predicted Wolves Lineup To Face Fulham In The EFL Championship

The biggest game in the Championship this weekend, and possibly this season, is at Craven Cottage between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Fulham. Nuno Espirito Santo will have to pick his players up from a disappointing draw against Norwich to take on a free-scoring Fulham side who are after an automatic promotion spot themselves.

After two draws in a row, the Wolves players will be asking themselves what they need to do to get back on track and make sure that they make it to the Premier League with the least fuss possible. Fulham, on the other hand, will hope that they can get the crowd on their side and get into the Wolves players' heads early on and disrupt their play. It is going to be a titanic battle.
Team News

Ruben Neves will miss this game because he has picked up a two-game suspension for picking up 10 yellow cards. He will also miss their trip to Reading. Nuno Espirito Santo is expected to keep the lineup very similar to usual, despite dropping points in their last two games, and will instead ask for a reaction from his players.
Probable Wolves XI
Formation: 3-4-3
GK – John Ruddy

A classy goalkeeper who has been a key element in keeping Wolves at the top of the table, he will have a busy day against the Fulham attackers.
CB – Ryan Bennett

Ryan Bennett was the defender who came out of the previous game with the most credit. He will be hoping to do it again.
CB – Conor Coady

The club captain has had a difficult week on the pitch and will finish it by facing Aleksandar Mitrovic, which is not an easy task.
CB – Willy Boly

Still probably the best defender in the league, Boly has had a taste of what the Championship can be like.
LWB – Barry Douglas

The ever reliable Barry Douglas will probably have to deal with Ryan Fredericks and Floyd Ayite on his side of the pitch. So he will have to be at his very best defensively.
CM – Romain Saiss

The Moroccan comes back into the side at a time when his defensive solidity is needed more than ever.
CM – Alfred N'Diaye

He has popped up with some important goals for his side. He may need to provide another one here.
RWB – Matt Doherty

Matt Doherty is Wolves through and through and this weekend, he will be expected to whip in perfect crosses while also getting back to defend against a certain Ryan Sessegnon.
RW – Helder Costa

When Helder Costa fires, he is one of the best in the league but he can drift in and out of games. He will need to be on top form to beat the Fulham defence.
ST – Diogo Jota

Jota provides so much more to Wolves than your average striker would but despite all this, he still has 13 goals this season – a healthy return.
LW – Ivan Cavaleiro

He will be given another chance to add to his 10 assists this season and help Wolves retain their form.

https://soccersouls.com/2018/02/24/nuno-santo-to-make-1-important-change-strongest-3-4-3-wolves-lineup-to-face-fulham/

WhiteJC

3 Replacement Targets For 22 Y/O English Midfielder At Leeds United Including This Fulham Ace

Leeds United target Josh Brownhill might not be on his way to Elland Road after all. The talented Bristol City midfielder has played an extremely impressive season and has attracted interest several clubs including Bristol City.

It is now being claimed that Bristol City who signed the player to a new contract are not looking to sell him to Leeds United. With their hopes of getting Brownhill going down, here are three replacement they can look at for next season.

Marko Grujic

Dubbed as the "new Nemanja Matic" for his tall, commanding figure and his quiet yet effective presence on the pitch, Grujic is one player who is still waiting to kick off his career at Liverpool. He was convinced personally by Klopp's call to snub other clubs in favour of Liverpool. The 21-year joined Liverpool during the 2015-16 season and the box to box midfielder was sent back on loan for the rest of the season and had to wait till the next season to make his Liverpool.

Since then, he has only played 12 games for the club. Sitting on the bench week in week out has hampered his progress and is perhaps deserving of more game time, given the fact that he adds certain steel to any midfield and along with his good range of passing, can be an asset to any attack.

Presently he is on loan at Cardiff City but would be available for a loan next season again.

Nick Powell

The English player failed to impress at Manchester United where he made only 9 appearances in four years. He subsequently moved to Wigan in 2016 where he has impressed for the Latics.

He would prove to be another cheaper alternative for Leeds United as Wigan are reportedly ready to give in to any incoming party seeking Powell and have placed a fee of £1.5 million should the Whites wish to pry away Powell from the League One club.

Thomas Cairney

The 26-year-old has been in excellent form this season at Craven Cottage. Fulham, who made it clear that they are not ready to part ways with any of their players and instead wants to bring in a few new faces, might be the major stumbling block in the progress of the deal.

Cairney has scored around 22 goals in over 100 appearances for Fulham and would be a good deal for Leeds United, given his football dynamics. However, agreeing on a deal with a Fulham side who will in no way want to lose their captain will be difficult.

http://the4thofficial.net/2018/02/3-replacement-targets-josh-brownhill-leeds-united-including-liverpool-star/

WhiteJC

Tottenham move would be 'fantastic' for Ryan Sessegnon, says Jimmy Bullard

Former Fulham midfielder Jimmy Bullard says a move to Tottenham would be 'perfect' for youngster Ryan Sessegnon.

The young wing-back is the hottest property in the Championship, having excelled under Slavisa Jokanovic.

The 17-year-old tops the goalscoring charts at Craven Cottage and, despite Fulham's resistance, has been heavily linked with a move to the Premier League.

With Tottenham keen admirers, Bullard says the move would be ideal for Sessegnon, though he won't come cheap.

"I have a lot of close friends who are Fulham fans and they think the world of him - they're absolutely raving about him," he wrote for Betright.

"They think he's the best thing to come out of the football club.

"He's already scored 12 goals from left-back this season all out of neutral play and again, I'm not surprised to hear the rumours of a potential move to Spurs in the summer.

"After some thought, if I was the boy's old man, I'd think that's absolutely the right move for him at this stage of his career.

"Let's have it right, Fulham won't let him go for nothing - the asking price will be £30-£50million - so if Spurs do shell out that amount of cash then there's no way he's not playing.

"Spurs are becoming one of the biggest teams in Europe now, they've got a new stadium on the way, they're building a top-class side with plenty of English talent in there and they've got a top, top manager.

"So, if the move did go ahead this summer, then I think it would be fantastic for the lad."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-move-would-be-fantastic-for-ryan-sessegnon-says-jimmy-bullard-a3774791.html

WhiteJC

Three Players to Watch: Matchday 34 vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers
How will Fulham cope with the best team in the Championship?

So Fulham was not able to get the full three points against Bristol City, and that is ok. Their draw last Wednesday still kept them in the playoff picture and they prevented a side that could have leapfrogged them up the table. Along with that, Fulham survived an away fixture that came after four days rest. Oh, and Slavisa Jokanovic got away with a little squad rotation in the process.

Cyrus Christie and Denis Odoi were part of the starting XI and did what they needed to do to get the job done, with an assist from Christie to boot. Still, this change in the lineup came the game after Ryan Fredericks put in a man of the match performance. But with three games in eight days, It is critical for Fulham to strike a balance between keeping everyone healthy and competing at maximum performance.

As long as the good guys come in with good confidence against the Championship leaders, that's all you can ask out of them. Because, boy, is Wolverhamton Wanderers good. Almost all season they have been the most complete team and it is only a matter of time before we see them and Mino Raiola's influence make an impact on the Premier League.

Not only did Wolves lead the league in goals scored, but they also are just ahead of all comers in goals conceded. Manager Nuno Santos has been brilliant at implementing a 3-4-3 formation that has been a real struggle for the opposition to break down. The result has been a league-leading 10.0 total shots conceded per 90 minutes.

However, this is not a team known for its elite possession to prevent teams from ever having the ball at their feet. In fact, they are seventh in the league in tackles and fifth in the league in interceptions. If anything, they fit the mold of Chelsea in terms of the way they play. At their best, Wolves are compact in midfield, have wing backs that truly commit in both attack and defense, and have a multi-dimensional attacking trio that will attack you with thousands of paper cuts.

If there is good news, Fulham will have possession of the ball. But they will have to fight fire with fire with their midfield three and it will be critical to have their attack to be as efficient as ever breaking down the defense. Aleksandar Mitrovic has been off to a mesmerizing start to his Fulham loan spell, but the rest of the big players in Tom Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon will have to be at their best for Fulham to win.

With that said, here are three players for them to watch out for.

Ivan Cavaleiro

First up, we have the leading goal contributor for Wolves with 18 (8 goals, 10 assists). The former Monaco man is having a career season with Wolves after spending so many years not showing his true potential in top-flight football in Portugal, Spain, and France. At 24, Calvaleiro has brought plenty of that kind of experience to the club, but it is much better for him to play week-in-week-out rather than going to any club whose standards are to qualify for European football every season.

Even with his high goal count in the Championshi, it is quite clear that Calvaleiro is a pass-first player and loves to go at people on the dribble. I'll be quite fascinated to see what happens to him the rest of his career because it is satisfying to see him get this much success this season.

Barry Douglas

If you are looking for a solid example of a late bloomer, Barry Douglas is certainly a good one. At 28, he has truly been a perfect wingback for Nuno Santos' systems and was nothing short of a nightmare to Fulham in their reverse fixture last November. There is no denying that with his production that he and Matt Doherty have what it takes to survive in England's top flight.

After coming through the historic Queens Park Academy, Douglas made his Scottish top-flight appearances after he moved to Dundee United. You would think that after all that, it would be smooth sailing for Douglas that would lead to a long-term international career. Instead, he plied his trade in Poland and Turkey before returning to the British Isles this summer. If this season doesn't lead to him becoming a mainstay for the National Team under new manager Alex MacLeish, I don't know what will.

Willy Boly
All data from whoscored.com

Lastly, we take a look at one of Wolves' defenders in their back three in Willy Boly. The 27-year old FC Porto loanee has been a solid presence carrying the ball from the back and being a rock in not having defenders go past him and winning headers going his way. It also helps that he has been the most highly rated player according to whoscored.com. Boly is also a solid passer without having to hoof it out of the pitch every chance he has.

Considering where he is at this stage of his career, it would be best for him to get a permanent deal with Wolves and see if he can leave a permanent legacy rather than return to Porto where he'll just be another rotation player. That being said, he is on the second year of a five year contract with his parent club. It will be quite fascinating to see what his price tag will be considering those circunstances and when Wolves confirm promotion.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/2/23/17037780/three-players-to-watch-matchday-34-vs-wolverhampton-wanderers

WhiteJC

Steve Bull names the Wolves ace Nuno should avoid playing against Fulham

Wolverhampton Wanderers travel to Craven Cottage to take on Fulham in the Championship today.

Wolves legend Steve Bull raved about the quality of Morgan Gibbs-White, when writing his regular column for the Express & Star, but explained why he would not start the youngster against Fulham today in the absence of Ruben Neves.

The Black Country outfit have been superb this season, and currently sit comfortably at the top of the Championship table, nine points clear of second placed Cardiff City.

Nuno Espirito Santo deserves so much credit for the manner in which he has gone about his business at Molineux.

The Portuguese managed to sign some excellent players in the summer, and he has also had the bravery to give some of the club's youngsters the chance to showcase their ability.

One youngster who has shone in particular is Gibbs-White, who has made six appearances for Wolves.

The 18-year-old midfielder has been totally unfazed by his promotion to the first-team squad, but Bull, who scored 306 goals for Wolves, explained why he would avoid throwing him into the mix at Craven Cottage today, when writing a column for the Express & Star:

"The 18-year-old midfielder, from Stafford, is a class act. Of course, he is only a young lad and has a lot to learn but I think I speak for all Wolves fans in saying that I like what I've seen from him so far. Morgan seems to have a mature head on his shoulders, he is a natural. He has a great engine too. And I like the way Nuno Espirito Santo has brought him into the fold, giving him 20-30 minutes on a regular basis – to give him a taste of what it is all like. That being said, I would not chuck him in from the start at Fulham today in the absence of Ruben Neves, who is suspended. There is a lot of responsibility there, starting in the middle of the park, and I would avoid doing that just yet."

Wolves will be looking to cement their place at the top of the table with a win against Fulham today, but that will be easier said than done, with the Cottagers currently flying high in fifth place in the division.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/02/24/steve-bull-names-the-wolves-ace-nuno-should-avoid-playing-agains/

Litrecola_

As per the away fans at the Cottage. I am Canadian and lived in Scotland 20 years ago and on weekends I would travel to London to visit friends on RyanAir. Fulham tickets were cheaper, the atmosphere was great with no violence, the area has great pubs to drink in before the match and after the match. I was hooked. The reason that they have such a high away side attendance is that it is a fantastic trip for anyone! A full Cottage is better than a half empty one, plus gate money is always needed to stay competitive. COYW beat Wolves today. I get to watch as it is on tv over here!!!!

WhiteJC

We Are Ready

Nuno Espirito Santo explained that his side are ready to stand up to the challenge of Fulham on Saturday evening.

Wolves travel to Craven Cottage to take on the Whites in a 5.30pm Sky Bet Championship fixture in front of the Sky Sports cameras.

Fulham have enjoyed a strong run of form of late and approach the game on the back of seven consecutive home victories but Nuno believes that his side are ready for the test.

He said: "It's another game. Another game against a good team. It's going to be a tough challenge for us.

"Fulham have good momentum, they play good football, we know that from when we played them earlier in the season. We analysed them.

"But nothing changes. We take it game-by-game and tomorrow it's Fulham. We are ready for it.

"We've already got Wednesday's game out of our mind. It was out immediately after the game finished.

"You have to know that the game is finished and so is this moment of sadness and disappointment.

"You have to organise your thoughts and the right moment to do that was yesterday, then today you are ready for the competition. The most important thing is the next game and that's Fulham.

"We have a lot of supporters at all of the stadiums that we go to and they always get behind us.

"We are very thankful for that and tomorrow we are ready to compete to 100 per cent of our strength."

Nuno and, Fulham Head Coach, Slaviša Jokanović are former teammates, having played together at Deportivo La Coruña.

The Wolves boss was asked if he felt that his team's style of football was similar to that of Jokanović's Fulham side.

He replied: "I would not say style, I would say the idea. The idea is more important.

"Style is different. You define style by playing good football, beautiful football and scoring fantastic goals.

"That's not the only football that I see. The idea is more important. When you have the ball, when you don't have the ball - this is what makes a good team, when you are ready and you can perform well in both moments.

"I think everybody, all the managers, start building their own ideas through their careers.

"Our past as players has an influence but it's not determined by that. Managers build their ideas through years of work and experience."

https://www.wolves.co.uk/news/first-team/20180224-we-are-ready/

WhiteJC

Fulham boss wary of Wolves attacking trio Ivan Cavaleiro, Helder Costa and Diogo Jota

Whites manager will need the squad to work together today

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic believes Wolves' front three can win a game by themselves.

The Whites host the runaway league leaders at Craven Cottage this evening, with the 5.30pm kick-off live on Sky Sports.

Fulham go into the game as the Championship's form team, having not lost in their last 11 games, eight of those being victories.

But Wolves have lost just four times all season, and Jokanovic is wary of the threat of the table-toppers' attacking triumvirate of Diogo Jota, Ivan Cavaleiro and Helder Costa.

Current top scorer Leo Bonatini has not been able to get into the side, such is the quality.

Jokanovic said: "They are a really expensive, quality team in all parts of the pitch, they have important players. The three offensive players can resolve the game alone. They can cause you a lot of damage."

But the Serbian believes his team can cause their own problems as they aim to make it eight straight wins at home.

He added: "I need more players, not just 11. What's important for me is I don't want to lose any player for the game ahead of us, I need people from the bench from the stand, we need to push all together."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-wary-wolves-attacking-14331757

WhiteJC

Santo issues Wolves rallying call ahead of crucial Fulham fixture

Wolves manager Nuno Espirito Santo has come out fighting for his team ahead of this evening's fixture with Fulham, insisting his side are ready for the test of the Cottagers.

Speaking the club's official website, Santo was passionate in his words as he said his team are 'ready for it', despite conceding that the Cottagers represent quite a challenge for his side.

"Fulham have good momentum, they play good football, we know that from when we played them earlier in the season. We analysed them. But nothing changes. We take it game-by-game and tomorrow it's Fulham. We are ready for it.

"We've already got Wednesday's game out of our mind. It was out immediately after the game finished. You have to know that the game is finished and so is this moment of sadness and disappointment." added Santo.

Wolves have been flying this season at the top of the Championship and will know a win over the Cottagers will give them quite the boost and almost give them one foot in the top flight.

Fulham themselves are hoping to fight it out for the second spot in the second tier following an excellent run of form which has seen them climb the table and give themselves a real chance of sealing an automatic promotion spot.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/santo-issues-wolves-rallying-call-ahead-of-crucial-fulham-fixture/

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic backs Tom Cairney to find better form and help side to victory against Wolves

The skipper was subbed in the latter stages of the 1-1 draw with Bristol City and his head coach has admitted his star man has looked tired

Slavisa Jokanovic has admitted that Tom Cairney looked jaded in the latter stages of the 1-1 draw with Bristol City, but insists he'll be available for Wolves.

The Fulham skipper was subbed towards the latter stages of the game having started two matches in the space of four days having returned from rehabilitation on a knee injury that has plagued him all season.

Since returning, Cairney hasn't looked at his best, which is understandable considering the amount of time he's spent on the treatment table this season, but his head coach is backing him to get back to his best as he hails an 'important player'.

He said: "He's our most expensive, best player, he's missed many training sessions this season, we detect he was a little bit tired last game, but he knows what the Championship is.

"He will catch better form, he's our captain, an important player and he will be available to help us tomorrow."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/slavisa-jokanovic-backs-tom-cairney-14331823

WhiteJC

Sky Sports pundit David Prutton reckons Fulham will extend run to 12 unbeaten against Wolves

Prutton is backing the game under the Sky cameras to be an entertaining draw as the two go head-to-head this evening

Sky Sports pundit David Prutton has backed Fulham to extend their unbeaten run to 12 games with a 2-2 draw against league leaders Wolves.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side got a point from a hard-fought draw against Bristol City on Wednesday night, while a 2-0 victory over promotion chasing Aston Villa has boosted their promotion hopes.

They welcome Wolves this evening, who have dropped points in their past two games, in what is sure to be a entertaining but tough test for Jokanovic's men.

And Prutton is backing another draw, and reckons Aleksandar Mitrovic, who opened his Fulham account in midweek, will be the man to open the scoring.

He wrote on his Prutton Predicts column : "Wolves are still a good amount clear at the top of the league but that gap can close quickly if they keep letting results slip like they did against Norwich in midweek. The job's not done yet.

"Fulham's momentum has been ever-so-slightly halted by a couple of draws lately, but they'll still be an extremely tough proposition for Wolves, who are yet to drop points in three games in a row this season. I fancy an entertaining draw.

"Prutton predicts: 2-2 with Aleksandar Mitrovic to score first."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sky-sports-pundit-david-prutton-14331851

WhiteJC

Up next: Wolverhampton Wanderers (h)
by Dan on February 24, 2018

Arguably Fulham's toughest test of the season arrives this evening with the visit of league leaders, Wolverhampton Wanderers, to Craven Cottage for a mouthwatering tie that falls in the middle of the Whites' most difficult run of the fixtures as they seek to sustain a serious push for promotion themselves. Slavisa Jokanovic's side head into tonight's encounter in front of the television cameras unbeaten in eleven games and still hoping to haul in Cardiff City, who currently have an eight point advantage over the Whites in second place. They will want to right the wrongs of a forgettable November evening at Molineux when Fulham were well beaten by half time and when relegation looked a more likely prospect than challenging at the right end of the table.

Facing Wolves, who have firmly established themselves as the best side outside the top flight over the course of the season under Nuno Espirito Santo, is a daunting prospect given the quality of the football they have played this season and their seemingly irresistible ascent to the Premier League. Jokanovic has already proclaimed them a Premier League side and shared his irritation yesterday that Fulham merely rolled over on their visit to the Midlands before Christmas – something the Serbian will seek to improve upon under the Cottage floodlights this evening.

The visitors didn't have to be anywhere near their formidable best to triumph in the reverse fixture, with two deadly set piece deliveries from Barry Douglas doing the trick. Romain Saiss, who could replace the suspended Reuben Neves in central midfield later on, headed the first goal before Léo Bonatini added a second with the Fulham defence looking all at sea. Wolves head down to London in good heart – and not just because of their all but unassailable position atop the Championship table. They've won on their last three league visits to the Cottage – sharing a goalless draw in an FA Cup tie – since a 5-0 drubbing pushed them closer to the Premier League exit door in 2012.

The club's transformation from a side that were scrapping for their lives at the wrong end of the Championship has a lot to do with Nuno's tactical acumen and assembling of a squad that could compete with plenty in the Premier League already as well as the influence of the 'super agent' Jorge Mendes, who advised Fosun International ahead of their takeover of the club and counts Nuno as his first ever client when he moved into the industry. Whilst the fulcrum of their midfield might be missing this evening, Wolves have plenty of weapons capable of bringing Fulham's fine run to an abrupt end.

Adopting the 3-4-3 system that has swept English football this season, marauding wing backs Douglas and Irish international Matt Doherty force Ryan Fredericks and Matt Targett into doing far too much defensive work for Fulham's liking. Conor Coady seems to be reaping the rewards of leaving Anfield and fulfilling the potential that had been whispered about at Melwood for many years whilst both Alfred N'Diaye and Morgan Gibbs-White, who helped England's under 17s win the World Cup alongside Steven Sessegnon in the summer, will be hoping to shine in Neves' absence in central midfield.

Nuno's front three will pose real problems to a Fulham defence that hoping record four home league wins with clean sheets for the first time since Kevin Keegan's side clinched the Division Two title by beating Gillingham in April 1999. Eyebrows were raised when Wolves broke their transfer record to bring in Ivan Cavaleiro from Monaco back in 2016 but the Portuguese winger followed a fine first season with eight goals and ten assists in 32 league appearances this term. Helder Costa's rejuvenation on the opposition since Boxing Day has been quite remarkable and he comes to Craven Cottage in a rich vein of form, having scored twice in his last three outings. Then there's Diego Jota, who has twelve goals and eight assists to his name, with Benik Afobe – who made a shock return to Molineux on loan in January – also awaiting a chance.

Fulham must hope they can quieten Wolves' considerable artillery as well as finding some rare chinks in their armour at the other end. Jokanovic's team selections have sprung some surprises lately and that unpredictability might in itself offer an opportunity tonight. Should he return to the starting line-up, Ryan Fredericks will be raring to make an impression following Cyrus Christie's debut at Ashton Gate in midweek and Tomas Kalas should be chomping at the bit to resume his partnership with Tim Ream at the heart of the Fulham defence if he is preferred to Denis Odoi. The Fulham head coach hinted that Matt Targett had recovered from the ankle problem that curtailed his evening at Bristol City on Wednesday, which means he should be free to team up with Ryan Sessegnon, who has been a little below his admittedly sensational standards in the past two games.

Following the January transfer window, Jokanovic has an array of options to chose from in the forward areas. Lucas Piazon looked a little leggy in midweek and might well be replaced by Floyd Ayite if pure pace is what the Whites want to unleash tonight. Aleksandar Mitrovic is already looking leaner having swapped St. James Park for another tilt at promotion from the Championship – and the Serbian striker's confidence should be sky high after breaking his Fulham duck on Wednesday night. He'll need to be at his very best if the Whites are to cause a surprise this evening.

MY FULHAM XI (4-3-3): Bettinelli; Fredericks, Targett, Kalas, Ream; McDonald, Johansen, Cairney; Ayite, R. Sessegnon, Mitrovic. Subs: Button, Odoi, Norwood, Kebano, Piazon, Kamara, Fonte.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/02/up-next-wolverhampton-wanderers-h-3/

WhiteJC

Jokanovic talks up 27-year-old ahead of Wolverhampton Wanderers clash

Slavisa Jokanovic has backed Tom Cairney to have a positive impact for Fulham tonight when they face Wolverhampton Wanderers in the Sky Bet Championship.

Speaking to Get West London, Jokanovic has admitted that Cairney remains Fulham's best player and despite his tired performances, he will be available to help Fulham in their difficult task against Wolves this evening.

Jokanovic said: "He's our most expensive, best player, he's missed many training sessions this season, we detect he was a little bit tired last game, but he knows what the Championship is.

"He will catch better form, he's our captain, an important player and he will be available to help us tomorrow."

Cairney, 27, has struggled to rediscover the form he showed last season in Fulham's play-off push, with injuries plaguing the midfielder's campaign.

However, even with their influential captain below his usual standards, Fulham have coped well and are well placed to push on for promotion in the coming weeks and months.

Jokanovic's side currently sit fifth in the table, eight points adrift of the top-two with 13 fixtures of the season left, with the Cottagers still holding hopes of automatic promotion in May.

Fulham will face a stern test of their promotion credentials this evening, welcoming Wolves to Craven Cottage.

Nuno Espirito Santo's side currently top the Championship table, and have one foot in the Premier League, having opened up a 13-point gap to third.

The Verdict

Cairney might not be hitting the same heights he found last season, but as Jokanovic states, the midfielder is still Fulham's key man.

The run-in will be difficult for Fulham, who will need Cairney at the top of his game if they are to go on and secure promotion in the coming months.

It might've been a quiet season so far from Cairney, but if he can find his best, he could be the man to fire Fulham to the Premier League.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/jokanovic-talks-up-27-year-old-ahead-of-wolverhampton-wanderers-clash/