watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bobby Moore.

Started by bill taylors apprentice, February 24, 2018, 08:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill taylors apprentice

Is it really twenty five years ago he died?

When told by a fan who engaged him in conversation in an East End pub how surprised he was that a hero portrayed as aloof could be so polite and modest, Bobby put an arm around his shoulders and said quietly: 'If you are quite good at something, you don't have to tell everybody.'

alfie

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on February 24, 2018, 08:55:37 AM

When told by a fan who engaged him in conversation in an East End pub how surprised he was that a hero portrayed as aloof could be so polite and modest, Bobby put an arm around his shoulders and said quietly: 'If you are quite good at something, you don't have to tell everybody.'
My all time favourite player ever.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: alfie on February 24, 2018, 09:03:18 AM

That's quite a statement Alfie, but on reflection I have to agree with you whole heartedly.
Whether he was playing for West Ham, England and in his later years Fulham.
There was an aura about him, something other players could only dream about.
His dignity was second to none, and as modest a man you are ever likely to meet.
I remember an England player once commented that he sometimes appeared immortal, and when he walked into a room everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at him, and that is the effect of charisma.
As we know, he let his football always do the talking.
We were privaliged at Fulham to have the pleasure of seeing him in the evening of his career, showing us exactly what made him great, which coincided with the return of the mischievous and ultra talented Rodney Marsh, and the one and only George Best.
How lucky we were, it was a road show of epic proportions, etched in the memory of us who were lucky to witness what took place.
I remember Bobby scoring a goal from 25 yards at the Hammersmith End, and as soon as the ball hit the net, he turned and ran back to the halfway line, and the expression on his face never changed as he resumed his place, no histrionics from him. A players player, and an example to us all, and the modern players who in a lot of cases are not fit to lace his boots.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

SP

We weren't aware he'd been battling illness so his passing came as a complete shock.  A day of mixed emotions for me as the radio in the delivery suite announced his death minutes after the birth of my daughter.  The midwife offered words of comfort to me, I didn't tell her my tears were due to Sir Robert rather than our new arrival.  Happy 25th birthday to my daughter & rest in peace Bobby.

bucksfulham

I played golf with Bobby and John Mitchell when John worked for Blue Arrow travel. It was a day I'll never forget and he really was a true gentleman.

cmg

So many memories.
Superlatives are so much overused these days as to be almost meaningless, but in any discussion among those knowledgeable about the game as to "Who was the greatest defensive player ever to walk onto a football field?" the name of Bobby Moore will, inevitably and rightly, appear at or near the top.
How fortunate we were to have had him in our colours for 150 games. It was no coincidence that his arrival, after the days of his greatest glory, coincided with what was, at least up to then, our day of greatest glory. His displays in that Cup run are testament to that.

Les Strong's personal experiences put it much more eloquently than I could:
http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/february/24/les-strong-bobby-moore-true-gentleman

Thanks to a genuinely great player and a genuinely nice bloke. 

filham

A tremendous player who represented us off the field as well as he did on it.

We are still fortunate to be able to say, Bobby Moore, oh yes he played for Fulham.

SP

I love Tony Gale's comment that he treated everyone the same whether they were the Prime Mininster or an autograph hunter. 

b+w geezer

I agree with everything posted and was sufficiently keen to trek to his last ever match, a dead-rubber in Blackburn, just for the prospect of seeing him exit for the last time (am just out of the frame in photo 30/30 of the 'Fulham Years' slideshow!).

No reduction of admiration or respect is therefore meant when one also notes that, astonishly, his impeccable standards on the pitch and dressing room were (as has since emerged) unaffected by prodigious thist and disobeyance of many curfews. Given that he never seems to have let anybody down as a result, this actually adds to the mystique.

See e.g.  https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/oct/03/bobby-moore-stands-alone-england-enigma-two-halves

Truly a one-off and a privilege to have had in our colours.

Holders

Hear hear. A lovely bloke and a great footballer.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Twig

Nothing left to add. Plus 1 to all the above plaudits.

alfie

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 24, 2018, 10:00:16 AM
Quote from: alfie on February 24, 2018, 09:03:18 AM

That's quite a statement Alfie, but on reflection I have to agree with you whole heartedly.
Whether he was playing for West Ham, England and in his later years Fulham.
There was an aura about him, something other players could only dream about.
His dignity was second to none, and as modest a man you are ever likely to meet.
I remember an England player once commented that he sometimes appeared immortal, and when he walked into a room everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at him, and that is the effect of charisma.
As we know, he let his football always do the talking.
We were privaliged at Fulham to have the pleasure of seeing him in the evening of his career, showing us exactly what made him great, which coincided with the return of the mischievous and ultra talented Rodney Marsh, and the one and only George Best.
How lucky we were, it was a road show of epic proportions, etched in the memory of us who were lucky to witness what took place.
I remember Bobby scoring a goal from 25 yards at the Hammersmith End, and as soon as the ball hit the net, he turned and ran back to the halfway line, and the expression on his face never changed as he resumed his place, no histrionics from him. A players player, and an example to us all, and the modern players who in a lot of cases are not fit to lace his boots.
I view him the same as Frank Mclintock at Arsenal, not worlds greatest players, but they knew just where to be at the time they needed to be there.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

bog

What a line that is. One of my most memorable football photographs was after the Brazil v England World Cup game in 1970. The world's best player versus the world's best defender. Bobby was magnificent that day and after he and Pele swapped shirts. What a photo that was. I admit to welling up when I think what he did for Fulham.  :Haynes The Maestro:

092.gif

grandad

One of the Worlds greatest footballers but as a husband to Tina he was the pits.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bog on February 24, 2018, 01:59:53 PM

What a line that is. One of my most memorable football photographs was after the Brazil v England World Cup game in 1970. The world's best player versus the world's best defender. Bobby was magnificent that day and after he and Pele swapped shirts. What a photo that was. I admit to welling up when I think what he did for Fulham.  :Haynes The Maestro:

092.gif

Yes I remember that match in Mexico and the tackle he did on Jaordinhio or was it Rivelino when he dispossesed him when he was at full pace and as cool as a cucumber side stepped Tostao and set up another England attack. What a defender against the worlds best that year.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

bog

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 24, 2018, 02:33:01 PM
Quote from: bog on February 24, 2018, 01:59:53 PM

092.gif

Yes I remember that match in Mexico and the tackle he did on Jaordinhio or was it Rivelino when he dispossesed him when he was at full pace and as cool as a cucumber side stepped Tostao and set up another England attack. What a defender against the worlds best that year.

I recall three times Pele bearing down on him but Bobby just took the ball off him and calmly set up an attack. Towards the end of the Cup final in 75 he was down in the far corner to the right. Lampard snr had pushed up and might have said something to Bobby as he majestically turned and left him for dead whilst giving him a look.   

092.gif 

HV71

Was my neighbour when he died. A real tragedy a wonderful man - a real gent. Just can't believe it's 25 years ago . Very sad even after all this time- thoughts are with Stephanie today

Fulham1959

This quote from a newspaper article after he died says it all :

"Tell Heaven's Eleven to get changed - their captain has just arrived".

HatterDon

One of the first players I really admired when I came to England in 1966, along with Bobby Charlton, Gordon Banks, and our own Johnny. Haynes. One tribute I remember was during the period when there was a perceived difference between northern and southern clubs. Northern fans would deride pretty much every player in London and south of the capital as soft -- with the exception of Bobby Moore. They always had tremendous respect for him.

As we'd say over here, he could play CB in a tuxedo.

Unlike most of you lot, I got to watch him play often for the San Antonio Thunder of the old North American Soccer League. In that league the clock on the scoreboard was official [they'd stop it for injuries, etc.]. I was there when he scored his only goal for us -- as the clock counted down to zero, to win the match. Great player. After reading this thread, it's a shame I never met him.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel