watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Linneker is a patronising twit

Started by bog, February 25, 2018, 09:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

It may come across that I am not fan of Gary Linneker since he retired. The latest example of why I do not came on MOTD this morning. On Sunday's they always spotlight a premier club's involvement with the local community. This week it was Stoke. Lou Macari, who has gone right up in my estimation, was on and spoke movingly of the homeless who sleep rough in that area. He has set up a form of fundraising to help.
  A reporter from the BBC went along and this was introduced by the bouncy patronising millionaire Linneker with the line...'So our reporter (such and such) grabbed his sleeping bag to join in.' This very flippant remark from Mr Fortunate did not go down well with me.

092.gif

Arthur

As he had to name the reporter who went, I would imagine he's read that from the autocue - a line which will likely have been written by someone behind the scenes.

Let's cut him some slack, eh?

bog

Quote from: Arthur on February 25, 2018, 10:04:41 AM
As he had to name the reporter who went, I would imagine he's read that from the autocue - a line which will likely have been written by someone behind the scenes.

Emm.

Holders

My ex sister-in-law, who sat on a jury where the said personality was  involved, says that in her opinion he's a nasty piece of work. The case was kept out of the papers and she wouldn't give any further detail.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Southcoastffc

I know several people who have met Lineker and all say he's very full of himself, not at all a nice guy.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Mince n Tatties

toshes mate

Mmm, any material would have been prepared from a meeting at which the 'personality' (sic) involved would have had input as he is the anchor.  If he had any conscience he would have chosen better words to introduce the item.  No excuses and no slack.

Bill2

I have not heard anyone say a good word about him and personally can't stand his patronising sneering attitude.

I did hear a rumour about why he left Sunningdale Golf Club but won't say what as it was only a rumour and possibly libellous.

sunburywhite

Quote from: Bill2 on February 25, 2018, 10:26:11 AM
I have not heard anyone say a good word about him and personally can't stand his patronising sneering attitude.

I did hear a rumour about why he left Sunningdale Golf Club but won't say what as it was only a rumour and possibly libellous.

He was in a four ball?
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Arthur

Quote from: toshes mate on February 25, 2018, 10:24:05 AM

Mmm, any material would have been prepared from a meeting at which the 'personality' (sic) involved would have had input as he is the anchor.  If he had any conscience he would have chosen better words to introduce the item.  No excuses and no slack.

On the other hand, it could have been: 'Gary, this week's football in the community bit is from Stoke. Just a two-line introduction. We'll put it in after XYZ.'

But you may be right.

It's insensitive, but not a criminal offence. I would still say, 'Let he who is completely without sin...'

grandad

He never played for us so of course I dislike him.
Where there's a will there's a wife

bog

When he was at Spurs a brother of a friend of mine worked in the office and he said out of all the players there he was the one non one liked.

filham

Funny how Linneker has created and maintained a nice guy image of himself but when the surface is scratched an amount of distasteful matter is revealed.

bog

Quote from: filham on February 25, 2018, 11:37:18 AM
Funny how Linneker has created and maintained a nice guy image of himself but when the surface is scratched an amount of distasteful matter is revealed.

Exactly

bobbo

Just want to add my two penath , I worked at Heathrow for lots of years and I can tell you all on more than one occasion I saw Gary linneker brush staff aside and refuse autographs for possiblysomeones young lad or lass.anyone who tried to speak to him was given short shrift .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Carborundum

MOTD did it's reliable job of cheesing me off this morning.  The discussion around the Burnley player and whether he should have taken a yellow card "for the team" to snuff out an immediate threat.  The whole thing was couched in the terms of "Sean Dyche would be saying to the player take a card."  Lineker and Shearer then made a play of how they would never suggest doing such a thing, but Dyche privately would.

Here's the relevant facts

Dyche didn't suggest it
You, you pusillanimous pundits, did suggest it.  In front of millions.
Kids watch MOTD and are impressionable
Deliberate professional fouling is cheating

There has to be better than these pair to interpret the premier league on free to air television.

bog

Quote from: Carborundum on February 25, 2018, 01:08:20 PM
MOTD did it's reliable job of cheesing me off this morning.  The discussion around the Burnley player and whether he should have taken a yellow card "for the team" to snuff out an immediate threat.  The whole thing was couched in the terms of "Sean Dyche would be saying to the player take a card."  Lineker and Shearer then made a play of how they would never suggest doing such a thing, but Dyche privately would.

Here's the relevant facts

Dyche didn't suggest it
You, you pusillanimous pundits, did suggest it.  In front of millions.
Kids watch MOTD and are impressionable
Deliberate professional fouling is cheating

0001.jpeg

There has to be better than these pair to interpret the premier league on free to air television.

bobbo

I thought exactly the same carborundum and it not the first time Alan shearer has made such a suggestion.
Diabolical.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

bog

Quote from: bobbo on February 25, 2018, 04:33:58 PM
I thought exactly the same carborundum and it not the first time Alan shearer has made such a suggestion.
Diabolical.

I recall Shearer playing for Newcastle and doing an horrendous tackle on someone but getting away with it because he was going to pay for England soon. Am I correct?  :023: 

cookieg

Quote from: bog on February 25, 2018, 04:53:34 PM
Quote from: bobbo on February 25, 2018, 04:33:58 PM
Diabolical.

I recall Shearer playing for Newcastle and doing an horrendous tackle on someone but getting away with it because he was going to pay for England soon. Am I correct?  :023: 

I believe you maybe. That certainly rings a bell with me.