Started by WhiteJC, March 12, 2018, 07:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Results

Sunday
Nottm Forest
0 - 0 Derby

WhiteJC

How Fulham can keep hold of Ryan Sessegnon this summer amid Spurs, Liverpool & Man United links

Latest Spurs transfer news includes comments from Bobby Zamora on Ryan Sessegnon

Bobby Zamora has said that Fulham will be able to keep hold of Ryan Sessegnon this summer, amid interest from Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester United and Liverpool.

It's been another standout season for the teenager. He's scored 14 goals and weighed in with four assists in the Championship so far and has played a key role in the Cottagers' surge up the table following that defeat against Sunderland back in December.

Since then the Cottagers have put together a 15-game unbeaten run - which includes a victory over leaders Wolves - and are just five points off an automatic promotion place with 9 games remaining of the campaign.

Should they fail to reel in second-placed Cardiff City then a play-off place almost certainly beckons for the west London outfit and Zamora is of the opinion that Sessegnon will still be at Craven Cottage next season provided his former club are a Premier League side.

Ryan Sessegnon has been in fine form for Fulham this season (Image: Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images)

"He's a real talent, 17 years of age, the big challenge is can they keep hold of him like last year?," he told Get West London.

"He possibly should've gone last year, let alone this year, so that's the big challenge.

"Yeah, if they get promoted I think he'll stay about but money talks and the end of the day and what he's been doing for the past two years, people will pay a lot of money for that."

With that said, Zamora does think that a move to Spurs or Manchester United to play under Mauricio Pochettino or Jose Mourinho would help Sessengon's development, even if he means starting opportunities are limited as a result .

"I think it would help his development but saying that, if you're under the likes of Jose Mourinho or Pochettino, whoever it may be, then you'll certainly learn from those guys too," he added.

"There's two sides to it, he may not play every week but there's certainly benefit to being around those players."

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/transfer-news/sessegnon-spurs-transfers-liverpool-fulham-14392612

KJS

If he went to Man U under Jose he would go backwards

WhiteJC

Denis Odoi says Preston victory was more satisfying than the Sheffield United result

The Cottagers had to show a different skill-set to get the victory at Deepdale, battling back after the Lilywhites fought back from 1-0 down.

Denis Odoi has hailed the battling qualities shown by Fulham in their 2-1 victory over Preston.

The Cottagers had to show a different skill-set to get the victory at Deepdale, battling back after the Lilywhites fought back from 1-0 down.

Fulham have been dominant in recent weeks, and Odoi says that he's delighted that his team showed they're capable of doing the business when things don't necessarily go their way.

(Image: Dan Istitene/Getty Images)

Speaking after the game, Odoi said: "Yeah it was a really nice victory, it feels like a nicer victory than the one against Sheffield United.

"It was a very hard game so props to Preston for the way they played, it maybe wasn't the nicest way, but it's effective and we had a hard time.

"But these are really nice victories and can make the difference towards the end of the season.

"It wasn't our best performance, but respect to Preston, it's the way they played, it was hard to play against and at half time we said we weren't playing our best game and we knew that, we need to get tight, the way they play is very intense and takes a lot physically so it's still 0-0.

"They dropped their intensity a little bit and we started to play towards the end of the first half you could see we were playing a bit better so we said we needed to continue that and we played a better game.

"It was still a hard game, not our best but a very nice victory."

The victory over Preston took Fulham's run to 15 without a league defeat, and Odoi says that their early-season has taught them that they're capable of mounting a comeback.

He said: "We're on a good run and everybody is confident, but that doesn't mean that the victory will come by themselves.

"At the beginning of the season we had a bad run but there were some moments where we came back from 2-0 so we know it's possible if you get behind you can still come back.

"When it was 1-1, we knew we just had to keep going and we said during the week the way they played is very hard for them physically so towards the end of the game there will be possibilities."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/denis-odoi-says-preston-victory-14395723

WhiteJC

Rafael Benitez: 'Aleksandar Mitrovic future to be decided in May'

Newcastle United manager Rafael Benitez has revealed that the future of striker Aleksandar Mitrovic will be decided at the end of the season.

The Serbian international, who is on loan at Fulham, took his tally to seven goals in eight games for the Cottagers with a game-winning brace against Preston North End.

Benitez told reporters after the game that he is happy to allow Mitrovic to flourish in West London before deciding on whether to bring the striker back to West London.

"There are two ways to analyse this," the Spanish coach said. "One is Mitrovic is scoring goals in the Championship. It's good news for him and us. Two, he is playing before the World Cup and he is our player.

"We then have to discuss his future in May. In May we will see and if he is doing well, fine no problem. It's not about style. We were the best team in the Championship and had an offensive style.

"We scored 85 and conceded 40. We were the best team bar none. We had more shots on target than anyone and we were second on crosses. So everything was there in place."

Newcastle earned a crucial 3-0 win over Southampton on Saturday, with goals coming from Kenedy and Matt Richie.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/newcastle-united/news/benitez-mitrovic-future-decided-in-may_320633.html

WhiteJC

Rafa Benitez explains 2 ways to analyse Aleksandar Mitrovic

Whisper it quietly but just maybe Aleksandar Mitrovic and Rafa Benitez are correct in what they are saying...

Rafa Benitez was yet again asked about Aleksandar Mitrovic on Saturday.

Newcastle had just beaten Southampton 3-0 in a key relegation battle with a commanding performance, yet still the questions came.

Just imagine if Newcastle had collapsed after the transfer window closed...

Instead, despite some tricky fixtures, since January Newcastle have just the one defeat at Liverpool, picking up two wins and two draws for eight points from five games, which is at the very least upper mid-table form.

Aleksandar Mitrovic now has seven goals in his last five Championship matches, the seven goals coming in a 17 day period.

As Newcastle beat Southampton 3-0, Fulham were winning 2-1 at Preston with Mitro scoring both goals, just as he did in a 2-1 win for Newcastle last season, as well as scoring two against the same club in the League Cup.

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic says Aleksandar Mitrovic is 'doing a fantastic job' for Fulham, plus he added that the 'team is playing for him too'.

Recently, Mitrovic had said Newcastle's style last season wasn't very attacking and didn't suit him as well as Fulham do now.

Rafa Benitez answered back on Saturday once again, saying nobody was more attacking than Newcastle last season.

Just a though but are maybe both of them right?

Slavisa Jokanovic after Mitro's two goals v Preston:

"We know Aleksandar Mitrovic can help us, at the moment he is doing a fantastic job for us and the team is playing for him too.

"All the players, like Aleksandar, deserve to be satisfied and be happy with our performance."

Get West London match ratings:

Aleksandar Mitrovic 8:

"Wasn't as involved in the game as he has been in previous matches in the first half.

"Much better in the second half with his hold-up play and got the two goals."

Rafa Benitez yesterday:

"There are two ways to analyse this.

"One is – Mitrovic is scoring goals in the Championship.

"It's good news for him and us.

"Two – Mitrovic is playing before the World Cup and he is our player.

"We then have to discuss his future in May.

"In May we will then see, and if he is doing well, then fine no problem.

"It is not about style...we were the best team in the Championship and had an offensive style.

"We scored 85 and conceded 40. We were the best team bar none.

"We had more shots on target than anyone else and we were second on crosses.

"So everything was there in place.

"We were an attacking team and Dwight Gayle got 23 goals, even with two months out injured.

"Nobody can complain about our attacking style, as we had Gayle, Ritchie and Atsu.

"You can see the numbers."

Rafa Benitez asked about Aleksandar Mitrovic at start of February after the striker joined Fulham on loan:   

"My relationship with him (Aleksandar Mitrovic) is fine.

"He is a nice lad.

"You pick your team and I don't need to worry about my ego – I have won trophies around the world and I don't need to be worried about my ego.

"My priority to win games and you pick your team thinking...'This is the best team for me'.

"It was clear that he wanted, and needed, to play games.

"Now he has an opportunity.

"Hopefully he will score 20 or 25 goals.

"We will be happy with that.

"He would have more value.

"He will come here and say...'I am a new player and you have to trust me because I have scored 25 goals.'

"Fine, no problem."

https://www.themag.co.uk/2018/03/rafa-benitez-explains-2-ways-analyse-aleksandar-mitrovic-newcastle-united/

WhiteJC

Fulham defender reveals how he would stop Newcastle loanee Aleksandar Mitrovic

The striker, who is currently on loan from Newcastle, scored a brace to see the Cottagers secure a 2-1 victory at Deepdale; a result which has further strengthened the side's promotion hopes.

Fulham defender Denis Odoi has heaped praise on Aleksandar Mitrovic after he guided the team to victory against Preston.

The striker, who is currently on loan from Newcastle, scored a brace to see the Cottagers secure a 2-1 victory at Deepdale; a result which has further strengthened the side's promotion hopes.

(Image: Paul Burgman)

Speaking after the game, Odoi was full of praise for the Serbian striker, saying he brings something a little different to the Fulham team.

He said: "He's been a great asset for us, I think he is perhaps the striker we didn't have yet.

"He's physically strong with the defender at his back and I think first half it was difficult for him because the two centre backs were playing really well.

"I know him from Belgium and in the 18-yard box he is just lethal."

He added: "It's the type of striker we didn't have yet.

"It gives us a player to play and we can push up, and he plays very well and we can make runners and on the crosses too, coming in front of his man he is very strong too.

"I play against him in training and I have my way of defending against him – I don't think you need to have too much contact with him because if you stick against him he's just going to use you as a training pole.

"You just need to keep your distance."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-newcastle-aleksandar-mitrovic-odoi-14395695

WhiteJC

Grant's International Appointment

Fulham's Under-23 Head Coach Peter Grant has been appointed Assistant Coach of the Scottish National team.

Alex McLeish has appointed former Scotland internationals Grant and James McFadden as his assistant coaches, with Stevie Woods named as goalkeeping coach.

The trio have been appointed on two-year contracts and will join up with the Scotland squad ahead of the Costa Rica fixture at Hampden Park on Friday, 23 March.

Grant, who won two Scotland caps in a playing career spanning three decades, will combine his Scotland coaching duties with his role as Lead Professional Development Coach at Fulham.

"I am delighted to be in a position to welcome Peter, James and Stevie to the Scotland coaching staff", said McLeish. "I'm relishing the prospect of working with them on the training ground.

"The three offer a complementary blend of experience, enthusiasm and success – both as players and as coaches – and are fully aware of the responsibility that comes with being part of the national team staff.

"Peter has enjoyed a distinguished coaching career and is already familiar with the set-up in the Scottish FA's Performance department, having worked with our Under-21 team last year.

"I have known Peter for a long time – in fact, I played alongside him for Scotland in both his appearances for the national team – and I am thrilled that he has accepted my offer to work with the team."

"With these appointments, the final pieces are in place for my backroom staff and we can now begin the process of selecting and training a successful team to entertain the Scotland supporters and take us back to a major tournament, starting with the UEFA Nations League matches later this year."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/march/11/grants-international-appointment

WhiteJC

Confirmed: Door open over Newcastle outcast returning to first team as decision date revealed

Newcastle United manager Rafael Benitez has left the door open over a return to the first team for outcast striker Aleksandar Mitrovic when his loan at Fulham comes to an end.

The Serbian striker was shipped off the Craven Cottage in the January transfer window after being cast out of the senior side, falling behind both Joselu and Dwight Gayle in the striker's pecking order, and managed just seven appearances in the first half of the campaign.

He has rediscovered his goal scoring touch on his return to England's second tier, with an impressive seven goals in eight appearances for the promotion chasing side, and Benitez has confirmed that a decision on his future will be made in May, insisting there is still a chance he will return as a member of the first team.

The Spanish boss told the Chronicle: "There are two ways to analyse this. One is Mitrovic is scoring goals in the Championship. It's good news for him and us.

"Two, he is playing before the World Cup and he is our player. We then have to discuss his future in May.

"In May we will see and if he is doing well, fine no problem."

The 23-year-old has a total of 72 appearances under his belt for the Magpies, with just 17 goals coming across all competitions.

Football Insider verdict

Benitez is not daft, and will never admit to putting a player up for sale as it will just reduce their price tag. A return to the senior side at St James' Park would be a major surprise for Mitrovic and the Toon Army while the Spaniard is still in charge, who has evidently had issues over both his on and off field performances. As such, his comments should be taken with a pinch of salt, but if he continues scoring at the impressive rate he is right now, then the Newcastle boss may have no choice but to give him another opportunity to shine.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/confirmed-door-open-over-newcastle-outcast-returning-to-senior-side-as-decision-date-revealed/

WhiteJC

Odoi overjoyed as Fulham grind out another win
by Dan on March 11, 2018

Denis Odoi felt Fulham were far from their best during yesterday's victory at Preston North End – but the Belgian defender believes the three points could make a real difference in May.

The Belgian utility man, who was outstanding at the heart of Fulham's defence in place of Tomas Kalas once again, said that the injury-time success – which came courtesy of Aleksandar Mitrovic's second goal of the afternoon – was sweeter than the midweek dispatching of Sheffield United at Craven Cottage. Odoi told GetWestLondon's Ryan O'Donovan:

Yeah it was a really nice victory, it feels like a nicer victory than the one against Sheffield United. It was a very hard game so props to Preston for the way they played, it maybe wasn't the nicest way, but it's effective and we had a hard time. But these are really nice victories and can make the difference towards the end of the season.

Odoi admitted that Alex Neill's side gave Fulham's promotion credentials a thorough examination, especially during the first 45 minutes where the hosts were clearly in the ascendancy.

It wasn't our best performance, but respect to Preston, it's the way they played, it was hard to play against and at half time we said we weren't playing our best game and we knew that, we need to get tight, the way they play is very intense and takes a lot physically so it's still 0-0. They dropped their intensity a little bit and we started to play towards the end of the first half you could see we were playing a bit better so we said we needed to continue that and we played a better game.

The Fulham defender felt that the Whites' fightback from 2-0 defeat at Craven Cottage earlier in the season – where Odoi slotted home a stoppage-time leveller -had prepared them well for this encounter and was delighted that Mitrovic's predatory instincts finally told at the death.

We're on a good run and everybody is confident, but that doesn't mean that the victory will come by themselves. At the beginning of the season we had a bad run but there were some moments where we came back from 2-0 so we know it's possible if you get behind you can still come back. When it was 1-1, we knew we just had to keep going and we said during the week the way they played is very hard for them physically so towards the end of the game there will be possibilities.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/03/odoi-overjoyed-as-fulham-grind-out-another-win/

WhiteJC

Preston North End 1-2 Fulham: Player ratings
by Sarah on March 11, 2018

Man-to-man marking from Deepdale as Fulham pulled off another late, late away win ...

Marcus Bettinelli: The lonely life of a goalkeeper means that you're remembered for the horrible clangers you drop rather than the outstanding saves you make. Yesterday was such an afternoon for Bettinelli – after much of the opprobrium this year has been heaped on David Button. The Fulham goalkeeper made two magnificent stops to keep out efforts from Ben Pearson and Ben Davies, but nothing will stick in the memory longer than the horrible howler that saw him allow Sean Maguire's header to creep under his gloves and into the net for Preston's wholly-merited equaliser. 6

Ryan Fredericks: Another all-action display from the Fulham full back, who was had his defensive credentials severely tested by Preston's impressive forward line. The visitors' threat in the final third increased when Fredericks was able to get forward, which he did much more often after the break, and the right back just seemed to be winning his own individual battle when he was replaced by Cyrus Christie. Given the substitute's sensational introduction, Jokanovic got that decision absolutely right. 7

Matt Targett: Targett looks so assured at left back it is a wonder that Southampton let him leave on loan. Twice made brilliant saving tackles when Preston's fluid movement meant he was desperately needed to cover for beaten centre halves. Worked hard to get up in support of Fulham's attacks as well, although fewer of his crosses found their target here than in previous weeks. 7

Denis Odoi: Excellent again at the back from the Belgian, who looks more and more assured in the continued absence of Tomas Kalas. He's not a natural centre back as Maguire's movement showed on occasions, but his will to win is unsurpassed. Looked a little vulnerable during the first 45 minutes, but produced a composed display after the break – save for allowing Maguire the free header from which the hosts levelled matters. 8

Tim Ream: The American had a busy afternoon up against not just Maguire but the clever runs of Tom Barkhuizen and Callum Robinson, who frequently drifted into threatening areas from the wide positions. Twice blocked Preston shots when they looked likely to beat Bettinelli and also employed that elegant passing and know how to take the heat of more than a couple of tricky situations. Fulham will hope his outstanding form continues into the season's final stretch. 8

Kevin McDonald: Looked a little flustered by Preston's fast start, being caught out of position on a couple of occasions and sending a few passes astray. Got his bearings and was a key reason for Fulham's football beginning to pose Alex Neill's men a few problems before the first half was out, initially on the break. Broke up play far more effectively in the second half and covered his centre backs well when required. 7

Stefan Johansen: Perhaps not up to his recent standards, but the Norwegian never stopped showing for the ball and his energy always posed a problem for the Preston midfield. Did superbly to fashion an unbelievable chance for Mitrovic, which the Serbian somehow squandered before the break, and also did plenty of tracking back the other way. Had a key part to play in a lightning break that nearly led to a classic counter-attacking goal at the death before the injury-time drama. 7

Tom Cairney: Was largely nullified by the brilliant Ben Pearson at the heart of the Preston midfield, but his moments of class really worried the home side. Skipped away from challenges majestically down the right wing at one point in the second half and an inspired moment of quick thinking in stoppage time, when he offered an option for Targett's throw in and delivered a delicious ball in for Mitrovic settled the contest. On such moments do seasons turn. 7

Floyd Ayite: Had a quiet first half but when he got on the ball, the Togolese international looked a real threat. Played a splendid pass to set Stefan Johansen clear down the left flank in the first half and might have opened the scoring with a rasping drive from distance just after the break. Faded a little and was replaced before the hour mark, but his rapid pace and confidence to pull the trigger shows just why Jokanovic values Ayite. 7

Ryan Sessegnon: The seventeen year-old is perhaps now proving he's human. Had to do plenty of defensive work during Preston's high-tempo start and had a quiet first half, but was desperately unfortunate not to put the visitors in front when sliding in at the back post to try and touch home a Fredericks cross. Looked a little leggy by the final ten minutes – which is not surprising given how heavily involved he has been in Fulham's season – and was replaced by Sheyi Ojo. 6

Aleksandar Mitrovic: What can you say about the super Serbian? This wasn't shaping up to be one of his better displays during a forgettable first half where he somehow contrived to miss the target from six yards in front of an open goal and seemed to be outmuscled by Paul Huntingdon. But Mitrovic showed just how potent he can be in the opposition penalty area, tucking away the opening from Christie's clever cut back and then guiding home that vital header in stoppage time. The physical fox in the box Fulham have lacked all season. 9

Substitutes:

Lucas Piazon (on for Floyd Ayite, 58): The Brazilian's industry might have got unnoticed during a pulsating period of end-to-end action in the second half, but Piazon's movement in from the right flank gave the visitors another hold-up option in addition to Mitrovic. Worked hard and occupied defenders, without much reward. 6

Cyrus Christie (on for Ryan Fredericks, 67): The Irish international's introduction had the desired effect within two minutes of replacing Fredericks. A confident run saw him hurdle a cynical lunge from Callum Woods and he produced the perfect cut-back for Mitrovic to break the deadlock. His physical presence gave Fulham a bit of cover in the air and Christie worked hard to blunt Preston's forward momentum after they equalised. 7

Sheyi Ojo (on for Ryan Sessegnon, 83): Introduced for the tiring Sessegnon and got himself about the pitch, offering some much-needed energy in and around both boxes. His pace worried the Preston back line when he galloped forward, even if he didn't have much direct impact on proceedings. 6

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/03/preston-north-end-1-2-fulham-player-ratings/

WhiteJC

Benitez fires back at Aleksandar Mitrovic's comments after making it 7 goals in 5 games for Fulham

Rafa Benitez has hit back at Aleksandar Mitrovic's suggestion that Newcastle's 'tactical' style of play in our Championship campaign didn't suit him, politely explaining why he does not buy this – also revealing that his future with NUFC will be discussed in May.

'Mitro's on fire' is a phrase that's often been unjustified, but he really has been since arriving on loan at Fulham in January. Not only did he score two in Fulham's their midweek win over Sheffield United, he backed that up with another brace in their 2-1 win over Preston on Saturday.

The Serbian has been full of praise for Fulham's attacking football, suggesting they play to his strengths more than Benitez's 'tactical' NUFC did in the 2016/17 season.

Rafa has responded to this in emphatic fashion, having the following to say about the striker's recent comments:

"It's not about style. We were the best team in the Championship and had an offensive style.
    "We scored 85 and conceded 40. We were the best team bar none.
    "We had more shots on target than anyone and we were second on crosses.
    "So everything was there in place.
    "We were an attacking team. We had one key player – and that Dwight Gayle. He got 23 goals even with two months out injured. Even Daryl Murphy scored six goals.
    "Nobody can complain about our attacking style as we had Gayle, Ritchie and Atsu. You can see the numbers."

Hard to argue with that. Fulham may play the best football, but in terms of crosses into the box and goals scored, we were the top dogs – suggesting Mitrovic should have thrived far more than he did.

http://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2018/03/11/benitez-fires-back-at-aleksandar-mitrovics-comments-after-making-it-7-goals-in-5-games-for-fulham/