more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (02/04/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 02, 2018, 08:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham v Leeds United - Match Officials

In their second fixture of the Easter programme, Fulham welcome Leeds United to Craven Cottage for a Championship fixture.

On Good Friday, Fulham kept their unbeaten run going stretching it to seventeen games, with a 2-0 win against Norwich City, at Carrow Road.

The Cottagers are firmly in the driving seat to claim one of the Championship play-off places, although an automatic promotion place might be just out of their reach.

Ahead of the fixture, against Leeds United, we are now able to bring you the names of those appointed to officiate:

•   Referee - Peter Bankes

•   Assistant Referee - Daniel Leach

•   Assistant Referee - Timothy Wood

•   Fourth Official - Craig Hicks

With regards to the referee, Peter Bankes, he has taken charge of 35 games this season and has issued 121 yellow cards and 8 red cards.

This season, Peter Bankes has taken charge of the following games involving Fulham;

•   29 September - Championship - Queens Park Rangers 1 Fulham 2 - yellow cards issued 6, red cards issued 0.

•   24 February - Championship - Fulham 2 Wolves 0 - yellow cards issued 3, red cards issued 0.

COYW`s

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=525369#ixzz5BUs6bTc5

WhiteJC

Fulham captain Tom Cairney not giving up on second but admits it's a big ask to catch Cardiff

The skipper has scored on his last four visits to Carrow Road and has said he believes that scoring midfielders is becoming a dying art

Tom Cairney isn't giving up on a top two finish for Fulham this season - but admits it's a big ask to catch Neil Warnock and Cardiff City.

A 2-0 victory over Norwich City - a 17th game unbeaten - kept up pressure on the Welsh side who responded with a 3-1 win over Burton Albion to keep the gap at seven points.

With just seven games left (eight for Cardiff who have a game in hand), it's looking harder and harder for Slavisa Jokanovic's side to catch the Bluebirds, but if it is the Play-offs for Fulham, their skipper wouldn't mind playing the end of season showpiece at Carrow Road, having scored in each of his four previous visits to Norfolk.

He said: "I've scored in my last four visits to Carrow Road in a row, one for Hull, one for Blackburn and two for Fulham.

"I wish it was my home ground, I've scored two in each goal here. Hopefully Norwich go on a run! But I like playing here, it's an old school stadium.

"It's a big ask, I'm a realist, if they win three more games it's over more or less, but I think they've got a tough run-in, so if they lose one of those it can affect you mentally.

"All we can do is put on the pressure, we're 17 unbeaten at the moment, club record, all we can do is keep winning but if we catch them it will be one hell of a story.

"We aren't playing for the play-offs, we're playing to catch the top two, that's in our mentality and that's what will drive performances on."

Scoring duo: Stefan Johansen and Tom Cairney celebrate (Image: Joe Giddens/PA Wire)

As well as Cairney scoring his fourth of the campaign, Johansen grabbed his seventh goal of the season to open the scoring and break the deadlock at Norwich.

Both goals came from midfielders - something that the 27-year-old believes is becoming a dying art in the modern game.

"I think midfield players who score are a bit of a dying art at the moment, I really do, I can finish and I work on it in training and Johansen can as well," he added.

"I think that's why we were so successful last season, we were both top goal scorers in the team so it's rare for a midfielder but the way we play suits us.

"We have a license to get forward and that suits us."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-captain-tom-cairney-not-14480809

WhiteJC

Fulham can still finish second, claims Cairney
by DAN on APRIL 1, 2018

Tom Cairney still believes Fulham can gain automatic promotion from the Championship – but admits that overhauling Cardiff City to claim second spot is now 'a big ask'.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side won 2-0 at Norwich City on Good Friday to extend their extraordinary unbeaten league run to seventeen games, but the Bluebirds still sit seven points clear with a game in hand following the postponement of their recent fixture at Derby County. Cairney insists that, after last season's sensational late run to nick a play-off spot, the Whites won't rule themselves out of contention – and their confidence is high given that excellent recent form.

The Fulham skipper told GetWestLondon's Ryan O'Donovan:

We aren't playing for the play-offs, we're playing to catch the top two, that's in our mentality and that's what will drive performances on. All we can do is put on the pressure, we're 17 unbeaten at the moment, club record, all we can do is keep winning but if we catch them it will be one hell of a story.

It's a big ask, I'm a realist, if they win three more games it's over more or less, but I think they've got a tough run-in, so if they lose one of those it can affect you mentally.

The Scottish midfielder was delighted to grab another goal at a ground that is quickly becoming one of his favourites. His second half strike that double Fulham's lead was fourth goal in as many trips to Norwich.

I've scored in my last four visits to Carrow Road in a row, one for Hull, one for Blackburn and two for Fulham. I wish it was my home ground, I've scored two in each goal here. Hopefully Norwich go on a run! But I like playing here, it's an old school stadium.

He revealed that he feels the goalscoring midfielder might now be a dying breed with the modern game becoming so much more technical, but Jokanovic was indebted to his skipper and Stefan Johansen for popping up with crucial goals to break the deadlock in East Anglia – something which Cairney admits he needs to keep working on.

I think midfield players who score are a bit of a dying art at the moment, I really do, I can finish and I work on it in training and Johansen can as well. I think that's why we were so successful last season, we were both top goal scorers in the team so it's rare for a midfielder but the way we play suits us. We have a license to get forward and that suits us.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/04/fulham-can-still-finish-second-claims-cairney/

WhiteJC

On this day in 2010, Bobby Zamora and Damien Duff defeated Wolfsburg
by DAN on APRIL 1, 2018

There were many magical nights in Fulham's incredible run to the Europa League final but one Craven Cottage evening that doesn't get discussed as much as it arguably should is the night – eight years ago today – when Bobby Zamora and Damien Duff combined to defeat Wolfsburg in the quarter final first leg.

Going into the game, I remember being particularly worried that the Whites might not be able to match the phenomenal performance levels they produced in the previous round to complete that still scarcely believable comeback against the mighty Juventus. Wolfsburg, the reigning Bundesliga champions, travelled to London in good form despite mounting a poor defence of their title, which saw Felix Magath (remember him?) sacked, having won one of their last ten fixtures.

The first half was a nervy and rather pedestrian affair – as the enormity of the occasion had got to Roy Hodgson's side. Fulham did well to largely nullify the visitors' dangerous striking duo of Edin Dzeko and Grafite, but struggled to create many clear-cut chances themselves. It wouldn't have been difficult to imagine Hodgson plaintively asking his players for more during the half-time team talk – and the Whites obliged with a much more adventurous and penetrative second half showing.

Zamora's partnership with Zoltan Gera was pivotal to Fulham's remarkable progress in Europe that year – and the pair combined beautifully to break the deadlock. The Hungarian's perceptive pass to find Zamora floated fully 30 yards across field. It might not be remembered as instantaneously as his wonder strike against Shakhtar Donetsk, but it was a beautiful piece of finishing all the same – with the forward stirring yet more England talk with another lovely curler off his left side, making the most of a clever decoy run from Duff, who had intelligently drawn defenders away from the Fulham forward.

This correspondent felt Duff's consistent excellence didn't get the credit it deserved throughout that European adventure. His experience of the big occasion proved invaluable for an unfancied side who suddenly found themselves in the latter stages of the competition. Duff was always a handful for defenders – and the loss of that trademark pace that made him such a devastating winger at his peak – actually turned him into a more intelligent footballer. Like Zamora, the Irishman was on fire that year. Had the pair been fully fit for the final I firmly believe the outcome would have been different against Atletico Madrid.

It was Duff and Zamora who combined so smartly for the goal that gave Fulham some breathing space. The often underrated Paul Konchesky drove the Whites forward with an ambitious run down the left and Zamora held up the ball brilliantly before cushioning it perfectly into Duff's pass – and the winger fired home clinically, as he often seemed to do, with a modicum of fuss from twelve yards. The joy was unconfined and the way Fulham were able to turn on at will against one of the continent's leading sides convinced many that Hodgson's men belonged at this level. People also forget that Simon Davies, lauded for his efforts later in that European run, turned in a great display at right back that night.

My match report that evening fretted about the consequences of Alex Madlung's late header from a corner that handed Wolfsburg – whose squad featured future Fulham favourites Sasha Riether and Ashkan Dejagah – a precious away goal, but another Zamora moment of magic seconds into the return leg happily rendered that particular piece of sloppy defending academic. Those European nights at the Cottage were so special – and I'm sure I'm not the only Fulham fan who savours the memories of the Whites putting Europe's best to the sword even now.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/04/on-this-day-in-2010-bobby-zamora-and-damien-duff-defeated-wolfsburg/

WhiteJC

Fulham Awaydaze

Our visit to Fulham is on Tuesday night, with a 7.45 kick-off, and once again we're live on Sky Sports. We're not famous any more!

As you probably know, Craven Cottage is by the Thames in South-West London. By road you need to take junction 15 off the M25 onto the M4, which becomes the A4. Keep following the A4 signs for 11.5 miles till you get to the Hammersmith Flyover Junction, then take the exit marked A306, A315, A219. From the following roundabout follow signs to Putney Bridge, which will bring you into Fulham Palace Road.

You are now just over a mile from the ground and from here you might as well think about parking in the first spot you see, parking on the streets near to the ground is restricted to one hour 'pay & display' on matchdays, even in the evening, and this is strictly enforced by an army of traffic wardens. It's probably less hassle to park at a tube station further out and complete your journey by underground.

The nearest tube station to Craven Cottage is Putney Bridge (on the Wimbledon Branch of the District Line) which is only a ten minute walk away, Turn left out of the station and then immediately turn right into a street called Ranelagh Gardens, then just keep going in this direction, keeping the Thames on your left as you cross the main road and go through Bishops Park.

En route you will pass the 'Eight Bells' which is popular with away fans, and alternative is 'The Temperance' which you'll a few minutes walk further along Fulham High street, going away from the river. 'The Crabtree on Rainville Road (10 minutes from the ground) welcomes away supporters, but diehard CAMRA enthusiasts will probably head for 'The Bricklayer's Arms', in Waterman Street, just the other side of the river in Putney.

There is also a selection of alcohol available inside the stadium, which even includes cans of Tetleys! The High Street is also the best bet for takeaways, which you might need to use, as the food inside the ground is expensive, though quite tasty and with generous portions.

When I first came to 'the Cottage' in the 1980s there was terracing at both ends, with the one for visitors naturally being open to the elements, but in the years since the club have had to comply with the Taylor report by replacing them with new stands. And the away fans are still in the same place today, with our initial allocation being 3,600 seats in the Putney End plus an extra 875 after the first batch sold out, out of a total stadium capacity of 25,678. There are still some of these additional tickets for sale on the official Leeds website.

They cost £35 for adults, with concessions at £30 and £15, as this match has been designated 'Category A', despite it being a midweek fixture and on Sky. Some of the seats are 'restricted view' (which is disappointing for a new stand) and are £2 cheaper. Next to us is a section which is designated as 'neutral', so fans of both clubs can mix, and surprisingly it seems that still applies for this game, so it could be worth a try if you haven't got a ticket in the Leeds end. The Fulham website is restricting sales for all the home stands to fans with a 'purchase history'.

To our right is the building known as the 'Cottage', which thankfully has survived amongst all this modernity as a reminder of an earlier age. But technically this is just a pavilion, as the original cottage was demolished many years ago.

As the future is concerned, the Club have now received planning permission to redevelop the Riverside Stand (the one to our left, which dates back to 1972). This would increase the capacity of Craven Cottage to 29,600. It will have a large lower tier and a smaller lower tier, as well as exciting things like restaurants, meeting facilities, bars and nine flats. It is expected that work on the stand will start at the end of the 2018/19s season.
Some of this stuff came from www.footballgroundguide.com .

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/leedsunited/news/47828/

WhiteJC

Chelsea loanee Lucas Piazon: Returning for another spell at Fulham wouldn't be a problem

The Brazilian is on his second loan spell at Craven Cottage and has revealed he'd have no problem staying at the club for another season

Lucas Piazon has revealed that he would have no problem with staying atFulham another season and believes playing for the club in the Premier League would be 'fantastic'.

The 24-year-old signed a new contract Chelsea before heading back to Craven Cottage for another loan spell having enjoyed his time in SW6 the previous season, but that second period is coming to an end at the end of this season.

Slavisa Jokanovic is a big fan of the midfielder and wanted to sign him permanently in the summer transfer window before he returned on a loan spell, alongside fellow Blues man Tomas Kalas.

A horrible leg break against Leeds United back in August saw Piazon miss a huge chunk of the season, but he's come back into the first team and put in a number of good performances, including getting an assist for Tom Cairney's goal against Norwich City on Friday.

And Piazon has enjoyed his time at the Cottage and has revealed it wouldn't be a problem for him to stay another season.

He said: "I stayed another season last year and it's coming to the end, it's always a place that I said I enjoy, the club, the players, the way we play so it's always a good place to be and I enjoy it a lot here.
"It wouldn't be a problem for me to stay another season.
"We all want to be playing Premier League football so if I can do that one day with Fulham it would be fantastic.
"I feel good, I've always felt good playing in this team, it's a team that wants the ball and I want the ball too, so I feel comfortable in any position.

"We are all close to one another, it's more of a friendly competition but we are all together in this so we just try to win games and play as high a level as we can."

The talk of the Cottage is all about chasing down Cardiff City in second place, but a seven point gap that doesn't seem to be getting any smaller, despite a 17-game unbeaten run, is a big sticking point for Fulham.

Pointing to the sky: Lucas Piazon celebrates Fulham's second (Image: Stephen Pond/Getty Images)

The Bluebirds also have a game in hand on Piazon's side, but the Brazilian has pinpointed their tough run of fixtures as a chance for Fulham to make up some points on Cardiff.

He added: "Today (Friday) was a game that we expected them to win, we are still chasing them and still have seven games so a lot of points on the table.
"We will just keep doing our job and hopefully they drop some points.
"They have a tough run of games now, they have Wolves, Villa, Sheffield United, Derby, and we have a shot.
"I think we got through the tough run of games very well and we made as many points as possible.
"We are so many games unbeaten and we just think of the next game, today is in the past, we aren't even going to think about it and we'll just focus on Leeds now."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chelsea-loanee-lucas-piazon-returning-14480922

WhiteJC

Piazon eyes another year with Fulham
by DAN on APRIL 1, 2018

Lucas Piazon has revealed that he would be very happy to spend another season at Fulham as he starts to consider his future.

The Brazilian forward has been at Craven Cottage for the last two seasons on loan from Chelsea and Piazon has developed such a special affection for the Whites that he told GetWestLondon's Ryan O'Donovan after Friday's win at Norwich City that he would be delighted to continue the arrangement for a third year in a row.

I stayed another season last year and it's coming to the end, it's always a place that I said I enjoy, the club, the players, the way we play so it's always a good place to be and I enjoy it a lot here. It wouldn't be a problem for me to stay another season.

Piazon – who has become popular with the Fulham fans during his time at the Cottage – revealed that he greatly enjoys playing a part in Slavisa Jokanovic's side – believing that Fulham's style suits his own abilities.

I feel good, I've always felt good playing in this team, it's a team that wants the ball and I want the ball too, so I feel comfortable in any position. We are all close to one another, it's more of a friendly competition but we are all together in this so we just try to win games and play as high a level as we can.

The 24 year-old said his focus is now on trying to help his adopted club back to the top flight as another injury-hit season approaches its final chapter.

We all want to be playing Premier League football so if I can do that one day with Fulham it would be fantastic. I think we got through the tough run of games very well and we made as many points as possible. We are so many games unbeaten and we just think of the next game, today is in the past, we aren't even going to think about it and we'll just focus on Leeds now.

He admitted that Cardiff City's excellent run of form makes pinching the second automatic promotion place difficult, but insists that Fulham haven't given up hope of catching Neil Warnock's side.

Today was a game that we expected them to win, we are still chasing them and still have seven games so a lot of points on the table. We will just keep doing our job and hopefully they drop some points. They have a tough run of games now, they have Wolves, Villa, Sheffield United, Derby, and we have a shot.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/04/piazon-eyes-another-year-with-fulham/

WhiteJC

Stef-Jo: Pressure On Cardiff

Stefan Johansen believes Cardiff City are going to have to be at their best if they are to earn automatic promotion to the Premier League.

Fulham remain seven points behind the Bluebirds courtesy of our 17 match unbeaten run, and Johansen says his side will be doing everything in their power to snatch second spot.

Speaking to the official website, he said: "It doesn't matter where we go, if it's home or away, we're going to go out and try to win the rest of the games and put pressure on Cardiff, who we know have a tough run now.

"We will see how they deal with the pressure, and we'll make sure we keep putting pressure on them.

"We're going to go out there on Tuesday [against Leeds United] and try to get another three points. That's what matters at this stage of the season.

"As I said, we're going to push hard to put pressure on Cardiff and see what they are all about. If they make it, they'll have deserved it. If not, we're going to keep pushing and make sure we get into the Prem."

As he did last season, Johansen broke the deadlock at Carrow Road to set the Whites on their way to what could be another priceless victory.

"It was important to get the first goal," he admitted. "It was a tight game all round so we knew we needed to break through and get the first one.

"They were quite tight defensively so it was hard to create a lot of chances but we knew we'd manage it so it was just about taking them.

"We had a lot of supporters there which is good because it's always important to have fans in decent numbers.
"It always helps the team, and it's just nice to give something back to them."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/april/01/stefan-johansen-pressure-on-cardiff

WhiteJC

Johansen ready to ramp up the pressure
by DAN on APRIL 1, 2018

Stefan Johansen wants Fulham to ramp up the pressure on Cardiff City as their bid for promotion from the Championship enters the final straight.

The Norwegian midfielder believes that Neil Warnock's side have it all to lose going into the final weeks of the season, sitting seven points ahead of Fulham in the second automatic promotion spot. He strongly disagrees with Warnock, who tried to suggest that the weight of expectation was with Aston Villa and Fulham ahead of the latest round of fixtures. Johansen has urged his team mates to continue their unbeaten run against Leeds United at Craven Cottage on Tuesday night and throw down the gauntlet to the Bluebirds.

He told Fulham's official website:

It doesn't matter where we go, if it's home or away, we're going to go out and try to win the rest of the games and put pressure on Cardiff, who we know have a tough run now. We will see how they deal with the pressure, and we'll make sure we keep putting pressure on them.

We're going to go out there on Tuesday and try to get another three points. That's what matters at this stage of the season. As I said, we're going to push hard to put pressure on Cardiff and see what they are all about. If they make it, they'll have deserved it. If not, we're going to keep pushing and make sure we get into the Premier League.

Johansen was delighted to break the deadlock at Carrow Road on Friday as the Whites eventually saw off a spirited challenge from Norwich City to get back to winning ways after a disappointing draw in the west London derby against QPR before the international break.

It was important to get the first goal, It was a tight game all round so we knew we needed to break through and get the first one. They were quite tight defensively so it was hard to create a lot of chances but we knew we'd manage it so it was just about taking them.

The former Celtic midfielder enjoyed entertaining the 2,000 Fulham fans who made the trip to East Anglia on Friday – indulging in some mock celebrations in front of the travelling support long before the final whistle.

We had a lot of supporters there which is good because it's always important to have fans in decent numbers. It always helps the team, and it's just nice to give something back to them.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/04/johansen-ready-to-ramp-up-the-pressure/

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic wants Fulham to play good football and enjoy the end of season run-in

The head coach isn't concentrated on what will happen in May, but wants to leave Fulham fans satisfied with the season

Slavisa Jokanovic is only interested in preparing for things that are under his control - and that's keeping Fulham playing good football and enjoying the end of season run-in.

A 2-0 victory over Norwich City further extended the side's unbeaten run to 17 games, but they are still a whopping seven points off Cardiff City in second who have a game more left to play.

The head coach isn't one for resting on his laurels or talking about what is done - mention that unbeaten run to him and he shrugs it off as history, whereas other coaches may see it as a defining point in their careers.

There's no doubting that deep down, Jokanovic will look back on this campaign and be proud of creating Fulham history, but at this moment on time the Fulham head coach is focused solely on the things he can control going forward, which is keeping the side playing good football and enjoying the run in.

He said: "I am optimistic in my life, but this is question I am thinking in front of the press, and it doesn't exist any sense.

"I want to be successful, and to be successful I must be tomorrow at training ground, and on Tuesday against Leeds.

"If I start talking about May we have all the similar ambition, but in this moment all we can do is try play good football, find our style and win the games and try enjoy and make our fans satsified.

"All the clubs want an happy end, we are not at the end, we are going to fight to go up, but for which position and what is going to happen I don't know.

"I am only interested in preparing the game in front of us, this is under my control.

"Other things are not."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/slavisa-jokanovic-wants-fulham-play-14481218

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney seems to love playing against Leeds United, judging by his stats against them

A hand in six goals in his last six league games against the Yorkshire outfit - Cairney seems to love playing against Leeds

Tom Cairney seems to love playing against Leeds United.
Last season, the Fulham skipper sent the Hammersmith End, and indeed the rest of Craven Cottage, into absolute raptures when a last-minute equaliser, curled into the top corner of the Leeds goal, equalised and set the side well on their way to the play-offs.

As if that wasn't enough for Leeds fans to be sick of the sight of the skipper, his stats against the Elland Road outfit make for some really interesting reading.

Cairney was released by Leeds at the age of 16, something that hurt him a lot as a youngster, but it seems to be the 27-year-old who is getting the last laugh now.

The skipper, and arguably the best creative midfielder in the Championship, has had a hand in six goals in his last six league matches against Leeds (four goals, two assists), scoring exactly once in each of his last four matches against the Whites.

Here's how that looks on paper:
   •   March 7, 2017, Fulham 1-1 Leeds - GOAL
   •   August 16, 2016, Leeds 1-1 Fulham - GOAL
   •   February 23, 2016, Leeds 1-1 Fulham, GOAL
   •   4 April, 2015, Leeds 0-3 Blackburn, GOAL
   •   1 January, 2014, Leeds 1-2 Blackburn, ASSIST, ASSIST

It's some record, and one that Fulham fans will hope continues on Tuesday night when Cairney and his side welcome Paul Heckingbottom's side to the Cottage.

On another note, the Leeds United boss has lost all four of his Championship games against Fulham, while Slavisa Jokanovic has never lost to Leeds.

The last FIVE league meetings have ended as draws too, in case you were wondering.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tom-cairney-seems-love-playing-14481384

WhiteJC

How much Leeds United will have earned from being on Sky Sports this season after the Fulham match

United have been shown on the box plenty of times this season - but how much have they banked?

Leeds United might have suffered from a poor run of form recently, but that hasn't stopped them from still being a big draw for Sky Sports.

Their 3-0 defeat to Wolves last month was the 17th time this club have been shown by Sky in the Championship this season, with next week's clash against Fulham at Craven Cottage also being selected for transmission.

Despite Leeds now falling out of play-off contention following a wretched run of form in 2018, they have been consistently shown on the box, rarely going a month without being shown, but what has this done to their bank balance?

The EFL hand out Championship clubs £100,000 for every home game that a club hosts on Sky Sports, with that figure going up to £120,000 for games being played on a Sunday and £140,000 for Thursday games.

Visiting sides are awarded £10,000 per game.

Leeds have seen home clashes with Sheffield United, Middlesbrough, Aston Villa, Nottingham Forest, Bristol City and Wolves televised, with the clash against the Championship leaders making it a total of £640,000 banked by the club for their Elland Road matches.

The remaining 12 away matches up to the Fulham game will see Leeds secure another £120,000, making it a total of £760,000.

This total is higher than the £690,000 that Championship pace-setters Wolves will have picked up by the end of the season, ahead of the final round of TV fixtures being selected this season.

But that's probably where the bragging rights should stop - as Wolves, sitting six points clear at the top of the Championship look set to be playing Premier League football next season, with all the TV riches which that entails.

Leeds beat Bolton 2-1 on Good Friday to claim only their second win of 2018 but remain nine points off the play-off spots, so for Heckingbottom the final seven games of the season will likely be spent assessing his squad ahead of what promises to be a busy summer transfer window.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/sky-sports-earnings-leeds-united-14372861

WhiteJC

'Devastating' double blow: Two major injury setbacks for Leeds ahead of Fulham clash – confirmed

Adam Forshaw and Liam Cooper are facing lengthy spells on the sidelines in a "devastating" double blow for Leeds United, according to Paul Heckingbottom.

The United manager has explained to Leeds Live that central midfielder Forshaw has a long-standing calf injury that will keep him out "for a while".

Scans have showed that centre-back and skipper Cooper has torn a thigh muscle after suffering a setback in training last week.

Both players have been ruled out of Tuesday night's Championship clash against high-flying Fulham at Craven Cottage and are facing battles to play again this season.

"It's his calf," said Heckingbottom of Forshaw, as quoted by Leeds Live. "He did it in the Sheffield Wednesday game. It's something that we were aware of when he signed.

"When I came in I think he missed a couple of games, managed him through a few games, it was always there and it just got too painful after the Sheffield Wednesday game so yes, he's going to be out for a while."

Cooper has also suffered a shattering setback which is likely to have been a result of his desperation to recover from a dead leg he sustained in Leeds' defeat to Wolves last month.

"So, Wednesday we did the press conference, then before I left we had to send him for a scan because he came from training reporting something and we found out he's got a tear in his thigh," Heckingbottom explained, as quoted by Leeds Live.

"It's the same thigh, whether it's related or not we'll never know. Whether it's him pushing himself to get back in contention, but obviously he's devastated about it and I was when I got the phone call on Wednesday night."

Football Insider verdict:
Given the nature of their injuries and the 1 April date, it is highly doubtful whether Forshaw and Cooper will play again this season. Indeed, Leeds' position in the table means neither should break their neck to rush back into action. United are not going to get promoted, bar a miracle, and both players will be needed in top condition ahead of next season. Cooper is replaceable, and that might well happen in the summer window, but he is currently Leeds' second best centre-back after Pontus Jansson. January signing Forshaw has made a huge impression since his £4.5million move from Middlesbrough and it is vital he is able to hit the ground running in pre-season with fitness and health fully restored.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/devastating-double-blow-two-major-setbacks-for-leeds-ahead-of-clash-v-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham v Leeds United
TUE 03 APR 2018   CHAMPIONSHIP
Venue: Craven Cottage

Fulham winger Ryan Sessegnon could start after being named on the bench for Friday's win at Norwich.

Aboubakar Kamara and Oliver Norwood are also options for boss Slavisa Jokanovic, who said his side looked tired in the game at Carrow Road.

Leeds have no new injuries to contend with after ending a four-match winless run against Bolton on Saturday.
Forward Samuel Saiz will be hoping to start after returning from a hamstring injury from the bench against Bolton.

Match facts
   ▪   The past five league meetings between these sides have ended as draws, with the reverse fixture ending goalless this season.
   ▪   Leeds are unbeaten in their past three league visits to Craven Cottage (W1 D2).
   ▪   Slavisa Jokanovic has yet to lose against Leeds as manager, although four of his five encounters have been draws (W1).
   ▪   Paul Heckingbottom, meanwhile, has lost all four of his Championship matches against Fulham, including two this season with Barnsley; the last manager to lose three Championship games against the same opponent in a season was Lee Clark in 2014/15 against Sheffield Wednesday.
   ▪   Tom Cairney has had a hand in six goals in his past six league matches against Leeds (four goals, two assists), scoring exactly once in each of his past four matches against the Whites.
   ▪   Leeds have lost 17 of their past 24 away league games in April (W4 D3), with their most recent victory coming in April 2016 away at Birmingham.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43550811

WhiteJC

Ryan Sessegnon set to return to Fulham's starting line-up against Leeds

Ryan Sessegnon could return to Fulham's starting line-up against Leeds after being named as a substitute for Friday's 2-0 win at Norwich.
Sessegnon came off the bench in the 54th minute and helped the Craven Cottage side to a 2-0 win.
Slavisa Jokanovic may also start Aboubakar Kamara and Oliver Norwood after bringing them both off the bench at Carrow Road.
Tomas Kalas could also feature after being an unused substitute following a hip injury.
Leeds will be without Adam Forshaw and Liam Cooper for their trip to west London.
Forshaw will be sidelined for some weeks because of a troublesome calf after suffering the injury in the 2-1 defeat at home to Sheffield Wednesday.
Cooper is also set to miss a few weeks after scans revealed the centre-half has torn a thigh muscle picked up in training last week.
Both players face missing the rest of the season.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/preview?gameId=483226