more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (07/04/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 06, 2018, 09:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic on why he HAD to leave Newcastle and why Fulham is perfect for him

The Serbian won the Player of the Month award for March and has revealed why leaving Newcastle was the right decision

Aleksandar Mitrovic believes leaving Newcastle United for Fulham worked perfectly for him - citing getting game time as the main reason he left the north east.

The Serbian has been on fire since heading down to Craven Cottage on Deadline Day, scoring 10 goals for his new side and taking to west London like a duck takes to water.

He's become the focal point for Fulham's easy-on-the-eye build up play, something that he enjoys playing in, with Slavisa Jokanovic finally getting the striker he's craved for.

His loan is up in the summer, but at the moment, Mitrovic has said his family enjoys west London and he hopes his love affair with the club continues.

After winning the Player of the Month award for March , he said: "I'm happy and proud, I'd like to thank my team mates for helping me to achieve this and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

"From the first minute here, I adapted really fast and my teammates have helped me a lot. I feel good to play every game on the pitch so I hope that we'll be able to fight for automatic promotion for the rest of the season.

"I needed to leave Newcastle because I needed game time and needed games in my legs and I was desperate to play football, to be on the pitch, to score goals.

"It works perfectly for me, I really enjoy it here, my family enjoy it and I hope it continues. The manager, obviously being Serbian too, helped me a lot and the style they play, the players they have, I like a lot."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aleksandar-mitrovic-leave-newcastle-fulham-14498228

WhiteJC

Mitrovic In Fine Form For Fulham – Wins Award – But Newcastle Will Still Sell Serbian In The Summer

Aleksandar Mitrovic has been in good form for Fulham, and he has been named the Championship Player of the Month for March.

Since joining Fulham on loan from Newcastle United on the final day of the January transfer window, Mitrovic has scored eight goals, five of them in March in his five appearances for the club.

That's excellent form from Mitro.

In the 25 Championship games, he played for Newcastle last season he scored four goals.

The difference seems to be that Fulham are playing more to his strengths up front, whereas Rafa Benitez at Newcastle prefers a counter-attack type of play.

But it's great for the 23-year-old he is doing well at Fulham.

This is what his manager Slavisa Jokanovic has said – via a tweet.

We're almost certain that Rafa will still sell Aleksandar in the summer.

It would seem like Fulham would be the favorites to sign him if they can get promoted.

That would be either by finishing second in the league by pipping Cardiff City or via the playoffs.

And if Mitro has a good World Cup, which would not be a big surprise, his transfer could be well above the £14M we paid Anderlecht for him almost three years ago.

The Newcastle fans love Mitro because of his all-out effort on the field and that Newcastle was his favorite club with Alan Shearer being his idol.

But since Rafa arrived, he hasn't had a good time of it on Tyneside, although he refuses to talk negatively about the manager.

A move in the summer would be good for the talented Serbian.

http://www.nufcblog.com/2018/04/06/mitrovic-in-fine-form-for-fulham-wins-award-but-newcastle-will-still-sell-serbian-in-the-summer/

WhiteJC

U18s Host Spurs

Colin Omogbehin's Under-18s get back to Premier League South action on Saturday as they host Scott Parker's young Tottenham Hotspur side at 11am at Motspur Park.

Spurs have leapfrogged Fulham in the table in recent weeks, the North London side are sixth in the table, one place and one point above the Young Whites. Spurs also have a game in hand.

Fulham have played Tottenham twice already this year with two trips to the Tottenham Hotspur Training Centre, once in the PL South and once in the PL Cup. In both encounters Fulham won 2-1 over their London rivals.

The Young Whites have lost their last three matches in the league and will be looking for a reaction, last time out Fulham suffered a 2-1 defeat in their trip to Leicester.

A Timmy Abraham 35-yard chip wasn't enough to take home any points.

Spurs in their last three league matches have lost one, drawn one and won one. Last time out Spurs lost to West Ham.

In-between those 3 matches Tottenham also lost the final of the PL Cup against Chelsea.

"Spurs are a very good side," Omogbehin commented on this weekend's fixture. "They play football the right way.

"It's going to be an opportunity for us to go out there and try perform our game. We haven't played in the last couple of weeks so it is going to be an interesting challenge, the boys are chomping at the bit to get out there on Saturday."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/april/06/u18s-host-spurs

WhiteJC

Sessegnon Reduced To Clear

Long time Tottenham Hotspur target Ryan Sessegnon is currently 50% off!

Hopefully this never to be repeated price encourages Daniel Levy to leap into action and offer Fulham a payment plan that they find impossible to resist.

The reality of the situation is far less dynamic.

The Sun's Charlie Hyatt actually wrote a piece on Fulham midfielder and included three quarters of the way down was the throwaway line 'The same goes for £25m-rated Ryan Sessegnon.'

Wyatt then continues...

"He is being chased by a string of top clubs but as Sunsport revealed last week, could sign a new deal and stay at Craven Cottage if the team gets promoted. Sessegnon, unsurprisingly, is also set to feature in the Football League's end of season awards."

I  take a view that clickbait isn't multilaterally a bad thing. People want to be read – there is nothing dumber than the nobility of being unread.

And as long as the content was worth reading, fair exchange is no robbery.

However HITC have taken urine extraction in this space – to a high art form.

'New Price Quoted For Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon Should Please Spurs Greatly' trumpeted their headline.

Will Levy being running the legitimacy of printing off this garbage, thrusting it in the face of the Fulham chairman along with a carrier bag fluff used readies past his lawyers?

Of course not.

http://theboyhotspur.com/sessegnon-reduced-to-clear/

WhiteJC

Ryan Fredericks delivers his verdict on Fulham's scintillating form

Ryan Fredericks is excited about what the future may hold for Fulham, but when it comes to their recent run he's hoping that it isn't 'all for nothing'.

The Cottagers haven't been beaten since December 16th and they've moved to within a whisker of the top two. Cardiff hold a five-point lead over the London side though and have a game in hand yet to play against Derby County.

"It's frustrating when the boys in front of you keep picking up points as well," Fredericks told Fulhamfc.com. "Normally a run like ours sees you to the top of the league, but hopefully it won't count for nothing come the end of the season and we'll be where we want to be."

The top two meet tonight at the Cardiff City Stadium and Fulham's right back admits they'll be watching in their hotel ahead of their own clash with Sheffield Wednesday.

"We'll be in our rooms in the hotel but we'll have one eye on it. There's nothing more we can do other than keep winning our games and hope that a few other teams do us a favour. We're on a great run at the moment. We set the record for the most unbeaten games for Fulham, so the lads are all buzzing, but we're a confident bunch anyway."

Former Tottenham trainee Fredericks has been in great form himself this season, attracting the attention of, amongst others, West Ham United manager David Moyes.

The Verdict

Nobody would bet against Fulham at the moment, they're on fire and have been throughout 2018. If they don't end up in the top two they'll rue their early season form, especially the draw against Bolton and defeats to struggling Sunderland and Wednesday.

I can't see beyond a play off spot for them, as long as Cardiff hold their nerve. It's certainly set to go down to the wire and much rides on tonight's game for both sides.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/ryan-fredericks-delivers-his-verdict-on-fulhams-scintillating-form/

WhiteJC

George Williams hoping to top off a special week with Motherwell victory

The St Johnstone loan star is enjoying his time at McDiarmid Park and is determined to end the season positively

George Williams is expecting a few more sleepless nights over the coming months after celebrating the arrival of his son.

But the St Johnstone midfielder is planning to put any Perth relegation fears to bed when Motherwell visit this weekend.

Williams was on hospital duty on Saturday and missed Saints' disappointing league defeat against Aberdeen at Pittodrie.

The 22-year-old has been back in training this week as McDiarmid men set their sights on three points to rule out any relegation worries.

"It has been a bit crazy and I didn't play on Saturday because I was at the hospital all day," Williams said. "It was a special day for my family.

"We were playing it by ear because I trained on the Friday. I was hoping the baby would come on Friday night but he didn't.

"I left it as late as I could but it got to about nine o'clock in the morning.

"So the gaffer said to me that I needed to stay there as it was the right place to be, which I was thankful for.

"The baby didn't end up coming until nine o'clock at night so I probably still could have made the football.

"But there are sometimes more important things than football.

"It gives me a boost and gives you another thing to fight for.

"I don't know much about Motherwell but every game is tough no matter if you are playing bottom or top of the table.

"Top six is gone but whatever happens in football you are always trying to get three points on Saturday.

"We'll carry on taking it game by game and see how many points we can finish on."

Williams feels he is getting up to full speed now after arriving at the club on loan from Fulham in January.

He said: "It took me a few games to get going but it was always going to.

"The last two or three games I've really felt like I've pushed on.

"I feel like I am getting more confident and fitter with every game.

"I really want the games to keep coming now. I don't want any more breaks.

"Ideally I would be playing midweek and then Saturday because that is how much I am enjoying it.

"It's about getting games and as long as I am getting minutes I will continue to get better.

"It's difficult to come into a club in January because you are coming into a team that has been playing with each other all season.

"You need to come in, figure out how they play and figure out the players.

"You need to do that quickly while still being expected to perform. That is what happens in football.

"I have gone through that but now I'm getting used to the boys and how the gaffer wants to play.

"People are starting to see what I can do."

The Welsh international spoke highly of his loan experience in Perth so far.

"The club has been great and there is such a good team spirit," Williams explained to the Perthshire Advertiser.

"The boys are so close and I've really enjoyed that. I've been getting on with everyone.

"There are no negatives about coming up to Scotland.

"The game is a fast tempo and is a lot faster than anything I have played in before.

"It is very competitive and everyone wants to win that little bit more.

"I've learned some things that will be very valuable for me."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/george-williams-hoping-top-special-12314343

WhiteJC

Fulham boss delighted at Denis Odoi's versatility and performances at centre back

Odoi has adapted well to playing at centre half and has barely put a foot wrong for the side since replacing Tomas Kalas

Slavisa Jokanovic is delighted with the versatility that Denis Odoi has shown this season, and is even more impressed with his performances at centre back.

The Belgian has been used all over the defence by Jokanovic during his time at Fulham , but it seems like he's found a home in the unlikeliest of places for a man that measures at five foot nine.

Odoi has hardly put a foot wrong in the heart of defence alongside Tim Ream since coming in to replace Tomas Kalas, who missed a couple of games due to injury.

The Chelsea loanee will have his work cut out to replace Odoi in defence, and although Jokanovic is pleased with the performances Kalas has put in, he's just as pleased at how the Belgian has done coming into an unfamiliar position.

He said: "I use Denis is in different positions, last few games he play well.

"He's a player that has the characteristics to play in these kind of games that we play, for another side Tomas Kalas played many games for us and made a great job.

"I can only use 11 players, both players are important for us and definitely we are satisfied with how Denis has done his job, like I am satisfied with how Tomas has done his job.

"At the end, I will take decision which I believe is best for the team."

Having players that can play in the same position does cause the head coach a headache, but he's happy he has players that could all get into his XI fighting for a place in the side.

Fans have wondered why Neeskens Kebano hasn't featured as much in recent weeks, while Ibrahima Cissa and Marcelo Djalo have barely featured at all since the start of the campaign.

(Image: Catherine Ivill/Getty Images)

And now Jokanovic believes Fulham find themselves in a situation where nobody is complaining should they miss out on a spot in the squad, but instead are fighting harder on the training pitch to make the team in the next game.

He added: "I need competition in my team, I say many times that I need competition between us and that they need to fight on the training ground to get into the team and at the end of the week all of us need to compete against the opposite team.

"This is great news for us, we have quality players, we are working better with better competition and we must be concentrated and focused.

"In this moment, I have a situation where nobody complains so much, I can understand and cannot make all the players satisfied, but at the moment people whoa are not completely satisfied try to find the solution on the training ground and try push hard forward and fighting for the space in the team and this is good news for us.

"I will start will 11 players, but always it's really important for us on how we will finish the game and it's the role of these people, who are coming on the pitch from the bench, it's a really important role.

"Step by step, people start to understand this situation and all the team are pushing in the right way."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-delighted-denis-odois-14499372

WhiteJC

Newcastle United and West Ham striker swap deal could be perfect for both clubs

West Ham are keen on Newcastle striker Aleksandar Mitrovic.

West Ham are keen on signing Newcastle United striker Aleksandar Mitrovic, the Evening Standard reported this week.

Manager David Moyes watched Mitrovic score his eighth goal in 11 games on loan at Fulham this week, and also saw him score for Serbia a week earlier.

Newcastle would demand around £20 million [The Mail] for Mitrovic, and Fulham will want him too, but West Ham have a trump card to tempt the Magpies with a swap offer.

West Ham forward Javier Hernandez is unsettled after signing for the Hammers for £16 million last summer from Bayer Leverkusen.

"I cannot guarantee anything", Hernandez told Mexican outlet Univision this week, expressing a dissatisfaction at spending time on the bench.

Newcastle were linked with Hernandez last summer and local paper The Chronicle yesterday already put forward the possibility of Newcastle renewing their interest this summer.

A swap deal could really work for both teams and players, allowing both strikers fresh starts at Premier League clubs, and allowing each side to shift an unwanted asset and gain a quality replacement in return.

Mitrovic's form is better than Hernandez's right now and West Ham may have to offer Chicharito plus cash to get it done, but it's a move all parties could stand to benefit from.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/04/06/newcastle-united-and-west-ham-striker-swap-deal-could-be-perfect/

WhiteJC

How far we've come
by Lydia on April 6, 2018

By 1730 on the 16th December 2017, Fulham's season hit a new low. The start we had had in the league was disappointing, and a fair few fans were calling for Slavisa Jokanovic's head after that miserable defeat away to Sunderland, their first victory at the Stadium of Light in just shy of a year. Fulham sat 8 points off the final play-off spot and 15 points off Cardiff in the second automatic promotion spot. The promotion dream was close to disappearing before we had even reached half way through the season. I remember sitting in the stadium head in hands because of the lacklustre display that I had just witnessed.

Fast forward just under four months and the awful sinking feeling we all had in Sunderland that day seems a distant memory. Not only have Fulham consolidated their place in the play-off places, we are just five points behind Cardiff in second, albeit that they have a game in hand. Tonight sees one of the biggest games in the Championship this season when leaders Wolves head to Cardiff. Wolves will be desperate to put the Championship race realistically to bed tonight as a win over their closest rivals will put them 9 points clear at the top of the table. On the other hand, a win for Cardiff puts them just 3 points behind and with that game in hand against Derby.

From a Fulham point of view we will obviously be routing for Wolves tonight. If Cardiff fail to pick up points tonight and we beat Sheffield Wednesday tomorrow then there is just 2 points between us. Yes, the ball is in Cardiff's court, but we can't help but dream, can we? We have to take care of our own business regardless and hope that there is a big slip up in Wales.

Tomorrow's game against Sheffield Wednesday will be a tough one. They are one of those teams who can find a result out of nowhere and they will hope to thwart our style of play. They are also on very good form at the minute, with three wins on the bounce and 8 goals scored along the way.  Atdhe Nuhiu and Fernando Foresteiri will give our defence a hard time. It will be interesting to see whether Slavisa Jokanovic sticks with Tim Ream and Denis Odoi at centre back or if Tomas Kalas will get the nod to partner Ream. The height, or lack of it, of Odoi does slightly concern me against Nudhiu and Foresteiri but at the same time he has done incredibly well in that position since Kalas got injured, the QPR mistake aside.

I also think that Slav could rotate a bit further up the field. Johansen looked exhausted by the end of the game on Tuesday while we have so many wingers available that I think that we could see some movement in that position. I think it is more likely however that any rotation, apart from maybe the right-wing position, is more likely to come on Tuesday night against Reading at the Cottage. I feel as though it's a game made for Aboubakar Kamara but by then we could be just behind Cardiff in the table so Slav may not want to change things too much.

For now, we should just sit back and try and enjoy watching tonight's game between Cardiff and Wolves. By 10pm tonight the dream of a top 2 finish could be slightly closer.

#COYW

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/04/how-far-weve-come-2/

WhiteJC

Fulham boss warns against complacency ahead of Wednesday clash

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has urged his side to forget about their 18-game unbeaten run in the league when they face Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.

The third-placed Whites can all-but seal their place in the Sky Bet Championship play-offs if they win at Hillsborough.

"The Championship is a busy competition and immediately in front of us is a new exam," Jokanovic said at his pre-match press conference.

"We cannot look behind us so much enjoying our life. We're going to have a hard afternoon on Saturday when we play against Sheffield Wednesday, and we must be ready."

With leaders Wolves travelling to second-placed Cardiff on Friday night, Fulham have the chance to capitalise on any dropped points.

"It's a crucial period in the competition," said Jokanovic, whose side trail Cardiff by five points and Wolves by 11 ahead of Friday's fixture.

"It's the last few games, and we must be extra focused and we must concentrate, and not spend so much time looking behind us.

"Behind us is part of history that doesn't stand for anything, regardless of if we're satisfied or not. Whether we're satisfied on Sunday morning depends what we do on Saturday."

Aston Villa, two points behind Fulham, will also be looking to keep alive their slim hopes of automatic promotion when they travel to Norwich on Saturday lunchtime.

Villa boss Steve Bruce said in his press conference: "It won't be easy, but the games come thick and fast and then we'll see where we are in a week's time."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-boss-warns-complacency-ahead-sheffield-wednesday-clash

WhiteJC

Sheffield Wednesday aren't afraid of Fulham, says boss Jos Luhukay

Fulham haven't lost in 18 games but the Wednesday manager says his side aren't afraid of Slavisa Jovanovic's side

Sheffield Wednesday boss Jos Luhukay has said his aren't afraid of Fulham ahead of the two sides meeting at Hillsborough on Saturday.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side are on an 18 game unbeaten run in the league, form that seen them go within five points of the automatic promotion spots, which is currently occupied by Cardiff City.

Despite that stunning form, Luhukay has pointed to his side's form against the top six for reason why he believes Wednesday can get a good result when they welcome 'a very good footballing team'.

Luhukay said: "Fulham are one of the best teams. They have a lot of quality in every position.

"They are a very good footballing team. They don't play with long balls. They always play with a good plan.

"They have in every situation solutions. Fulham are a very good opponent so we must have a top performance.

"It is a very good challenge for us to play against this Fulham team. When we have played the top six (teams) in the last few months, we have played very good games and also got some results. It is also possible on Saturday.

"We are not afraid. We have a lot of respect for Fulham but I believe in my team that we can give them a good game and hopefully at the end give our supporters a good result."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sheffield-wednesday-arent-afraid-fulham-14499897

WhiteJC

29-year-old impresses Fulham boss Jokanovic – Surely he can't be dropped?

Nothing can stop Fulham's relentless march up the table, not even injuries or suspensions.

When Chelsea loanee Tomas Kalas picked up an injury in the 2-0 win against Wolves in February, it was left to Belgian Denis Odoi to step into an unfamiliar position.

He's done so well since earning his first team chance, manager Slavisa Jokanovic is torn between the two for this weekend's clash with Sheffield Wednesday.

"I use Denis is in different positions, last few games he play well," he told Get West London. "He's a player that has the characteristics to play in these kind of games that we play, for another side Tomas Kalas played many games for us and made a great job."

Kalas was an 88th minute sub in the recent win against Leeds, having played and scored for the Czech Republic against China in the international break. That poses even more problems for the Serbian manager.

"I can only use 11 players, both players are important for us and definitely we are satisfied with how Denis has done his job, like I am satisfied with how Tomas has done his job. At the end, I will take decision which I believe is best for the team."

Odoi arrived at Craven Cottage on a permanent deal from Lokeren last season at the same time as Kalas arrived on the first of two season-long loans. Kalas has since started 55 times for the Cottagers, whilst Odoi has started 45 league games.

The Verdict

I think the problems facing Jokanovic indicate what a strong squad he has assembled. Whilst most sides begin to look depleted in April, his Fulham squad are still providing him with selection headaches. Both of his defenders have certain qualities and that brings competition for places, which is always healthy.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/29-year-old-impresses-fulham-boss-jokanovic-surely-he-cant-be-dropped/

WhiteJC

30% Off Away Kits

The boys are back in black this Saturday and we're offering fans 30% off all Away Kits!

Available this weekend only, Fulham fans can pick up the 2017/18 Away Shirt for £35 Adults and just £28 Juniors.

Why complete the look with this great discount also available on all Away Shorts and Socks, too.

The Whites will be looking to continue their fine form on the road, so why not show your support and secure your 2017/18 Away Kit today!

COYW!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/april/06/away-kit-offer

WhiteJC

Fulham is the right place for Tom Cairney, Ryan Fredericks and Ryan Sessegnon - Jokanovic

The head coach believes that Ryan Fredericks, Ryan Sessegnon and Tom Cairney are in the right place amidst rumours of their futures

Slavisa Jokanovic believes that Tom Cairney, Ryan Sessegnon and Ryan Fredericks are at the right place in Fulham.

Interest in 17-year-old wonderkid Sessegnon has been high since he broke through into the first team, while the Hammers were keen on signing Cairney and Fredericks in January, with David Moyes watching the pair, along with Aleksandar Mitrovic, in the 2-0 win over Leeds.

The Cottagers managed to keep hold of all their key players in the last Transfer Window, but they're expecting clubs to come back in for the trio in the summer - with Fredericks able to talk to other clubs as his deal runs out at the end of this season.

Fulham have offered him a new contract, but so far there's been no movement on it, and with Cyrus Christie coming in during January it looks like the club are preparing for the eventuality that the 25-year-old may leave Craven Cottage when his deal does run out.

However, amidst all this interest over his star players, Jokanovic has insisted that Fulham is the best place for them and that he will fight for them to stay at the Cottage.

He told GetWestLondon: "I am thinking about Sheffield Wednesday game - everything is not under my control.

"Right now, in this moment I don't want to be thinking so much about this situation, some of the rumours or some team is interested in Fulham players.

"It must be good news for the team, for the club, for the players and for the coach, if you want, but I am not thinking so far ahead.

"It's not a question about not caring, I care, but I cannot answer.

(Image: Stephen Pond/Getty Images)

"I am sure this is a very good place all these players that have some kind of the offers to play in a different place.

"A different place is a different place, a different place is a different team, a different team is a different coach and can be many different things, like a different city.

"Sometimes, what I am sure, the place where they are right now is best, where we are talking about Tom Cairney, Cairney is captain of the team and is happy here, I am 100% sure.

"The supporters like him, it's not a question of being comfortable or not but he knows this place, I understand he is enjoying his life.

(Image: Catherine Ivill/Getty Images)

"He's made some steps and in life you must make these steps, they can be in the right direction or not, sometimes it is better to stay than make the wrong steps.

"This is for Tom Cairney, Ryan Sessengon or Fredericks, who in the last few days there exists some news in the newspapers.

"They are in the right place and I will fight for them to stay in the right place where they are now and at the end, everything won't depend on myself, but I know exactly what is my job and which side I will push."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tottenham-ryan-sessegnon-fulham-right-14496434

WhiteJC

Three Players to Watch: Matchday 41 vs. Sheffield Wednesday
Can Fulham seek revenge from their defeat at Craven Cottage earlier this season?

Another evening. Another three points for Fulham.

It's almost becoming too routine for this club as the good guys came away from last Tuesday with a comfortable 2-0 win over a Leeds United side that just didn't have any answers at all. But in the end, Fulham did what the best clubs in the Championship do: put a weakened team to the sword and never look back.

Even Fulham's run of good fortune found a way to continue as Kevin McDonald was credited for the first goal after the ball hit off of his backside from a powerful Aleksander Mitrovic header. All that mattered was that McDonald was at the right place at the right time. Some will say that is McDonald doing what he does best: being a presence wherever he is on the pitch and taking initiatives to how the game will be won. But really, he just so happened to be point blank range in the opposition penalty area not knowing where the ball was going to go. But because he is such a tall human being, no one could get in his way from just having any body part touch the ball and pass Bailey Peacock-Farrell towards the back of the net.

The second goal was no where close to a fluke as a terrific save from Marcus Bettinelli lead to a counterattack that was full of direct dribbling and minimal touch passing. While Leeds did have enough men back to possibly prevent a goal from happening, the ball was just moving so crisply that Mitrovic's cannon of a right foot was the least of their worries. As stated beforehand, it was only a matter of time before Fulham found cracks in Leeds' midfield and that second goal proved to be the death nail.

Now Fulham will travel to Hillsborough and see if they can put in a much better performance than what they did against the same Sheffield Wednesday team they faced at Craven Cottage close to the beginning of this season. Things have changed dramatically since these teams have last met. As we all know, Fulham's attack is so much better and much more confident than that fateful Saturday. On the other side, the Owls are a team in complete retooling mode under a new manager.

Gone is Carlos Carvajal after so many seasons of looking like the club had a shot of being promoted to the Premier League. In his place is a Jos Luhukay; a Dutch manager that plied his managerial trade in the Bundesliga with FC Augsburg and Hertha Berlin being his longest tenured stints. It has taken quite a while for Wednesday to start seeing results improve, but it looks like things are finally turning a corner for them after going unbeaten in four games. However, this is without so much trials and tribulations throughout the course of the season.

The club have used 23 players that have played 900 minutes or more of Championship football and different formations have had to be used to have the squad best fit into Luhukay's systems. But with a 3-5-2 now being the main formation used over recent weeks, Wednesday are finally seeing the results come through. Wins over Preston North End and Leeds United being signs of what the club can truly be as they have outscored opponents 10-4 during the past month. Like all other fixtures, this is another one in which Fulham can not take their eyes off of if they are to maintain their historic run and continue to push towards promotion.

So amidst all the chaos that is Sheffield Wednesday's season, let's take a look at three players that have stepped up in recent weeks for them.

Adam Reach

With the aforementioned turnover of players this season, there has been one constant for this team. This season, Adam Reach has gone on to play 3,535 minutes of league football and has recently surpassed the most league appearances he has ever had in one season during his young career. In fact, Reach has been such a calming presence to the club that the next man up in the league minutes leaderboard for Wednesday has been fullback Morgan Fox with only 2,204. I haven't even had the chance to bring up where Reach has played on the pitch this campaign, because it has been everywhere.

Whether it is out on the wing or wingback, in the attacking midfield behind the two center forwards or as the more creative central midfielder in the double pivot, Reach has done it all. And with four goals and eight assists, that is a mighty fine tally for a 25-year old that still has plenty of seasons ahead for him. With one year left on his contract, I'll be fascinated to see which club could pick him up for 2018/19 if he were to decide to leave. After being on so many Premier League promotion pushes with his boyhood club Middlesbrough, can you blame him for wanting bigger and better things?

Lucas Joao

Up next is a striker that has found a way to return to Wednesday's good graces after playing for Blackburn on loan the previous campaign. The 25-year old Portuguese International has been in integral part in the clubs resurgence thanks to his seven goals in his last 11 appearances. If this season were to end, Joao still would have scored more goals than he ever has in his six seasons of second tier English football and top flight Portuguese football.

Despite being 6'3", Joao has also proven to be a great dribbler of the ball that has brought great balance at the front of Luhukay's formation. Like Reach, Joao has one last year on his contract. Unlike Reach, Joao's campaign seems more like a one-year blip more so than a continued improvement of his footballing career. As you will see above, Joao's goal conversion and shots on target ratio have been the categories improving more than his shot rate: a sign of luck being the reason for success more so than talent. Whoever he plays for must know that there will be more questions than answers.

Atdhe Nuhiu
All data from whoscored.com

Lastly, we go from one hulking striker to the next. At 6'6", Atdhe Nuhiu will surely be nothing short of a neisance in the air and on the ground thanks to his seven goals in the last three games. With just 1,077 league minutes, it hasn't taken him that long for the Kosovo international to lead the club in aerial duels won with 131. Sprinkle a little bit of mathematics, and you are left with a whopping 10.9 aerial duels won per 90 minutes. For those still recovering from the PTSD of Fulham's playoff fixtures against Reading, that is basically Yann Kermorgant times two! With Sheffield Wednesday currently sixth in the league in completed long passes with 32.6 per fixture, you will certainly know who will be on the receiving end of such passes.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/4/6/17205262/three-players-to-watch-matchday-41-vs-sheffield-wednesday

WhiteJC

Pundit makes disappointing Sheffield Wednesday prediction ahead of Fulham clash

David Prutton is expecting Sheffield Wednesday's winning streak to come to an end this weekend when they take on Fulham in the Sky Bet Championship.

Writing in his prediction column for Sky Sports, Prutton is predicting Fulham to pick up a 1-0 victory when they visit Hillsborough this weekend to continue their surge towards the promotion.

Sheffield Wednesday, who many expected to be competing for promotion at this time of the season, currently sit mid-table, with Jos Luhukay's side struggling for large parts of the year.

However, despite their troubles, Wednesday have managed to pick up three consecutive victories prior to this weekend, beating Leeds United, Preston North End and Sunderland to bring some positivity back to Hillsborough.

Prutton is expecting that run to end this weekend, when the Championship's form side visit South Yorkshire.

Fulham are on a lengthy unbeaten run in the Championship, with Slavisa Jokanovic's side looking to claw their way into automatic promotion contention during the run-in.

The Cottagers defeat Leeds 2-0 at Craven Cottage on Tuesday evening to move within five points of Cardiff City.

The Verdict

Sheffield Wednesday are entering this weekend in excellent form, but it is hard to see how Fulham can be stopped, with Jokanovic's side flying at the minute.

Fulham weren't at their best against Leeds on Tuesday, but still produced a winning performance.

Luhukay's side will have to produce their best performance of the season to stop Fulham this weekend.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/pundit-makes-disappointing-sheffield-wednesday-prediction-ahead-of-fulham-clash/

WhiteJC

Sheffield Wednesday v Fulham
SAT 07 Apr 2018   Championship
Venue: Hillsborough

Sheffield Wednesday striker Atdhe Nuhiu has scored five goals in his last three appearances

Sheffield Wednesday defenders Joost van Aken and Morgan Fox have both been ruled out for the rest of the season.

Forward Fernando Forestieri (knee) will be included in the squad but remains unable to start.

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has a full squad to choose from as his side attempt to extend their unbeaten Championship run to 19 games.

Full-back Ryan Sessegnon returned to the starting line-up for Tuesday night's 2-0 win over Leeds.

SAM's prediction
Home win 20%   Draw 25%   Away win 55%

SAM, the Sports Analytics Machine, is a super-computer built by @ProfIanMcHale of the University of Liverpool.

Match facts
    None of the 33 league meetings between these teams at Hillsborough have ended goalless, with both teams finding the net in each of the last six.
    Fulham's 2-1 win at Hillsborough on the final day of last season is their only win in their last seven meetings in all competitions (D2 L4).
    Fulham's 2-0 win over Leeds in midweek extended their club record unbeaten run in league competition to 18 games (W14 D4).
    Atdhe Nuhiu has scored five goals in his last three league appearances, as many as in his previous 85 games combined.
    The Owls have won their last three games, their longest run in league competition since a six-match streak ending in April 2017.
    Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored eight goals in his last eight Championship matches for Fulham.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43602110

WhiteJC

Opposition view – Slavisa Jokanovic

Fulham may well be on an incredible run in the Championship but manager Slavisa Jokanovic has stressed the importance of concentration in the run-in.

Despite their outstanding form, the Cottagers have so far been denied a place in the top two, with Wolves and Cardiff leading the way.

But Jokanovic wants no let-up from his charges as they face a defining point in the season.

He said: "The Championship is a busy competition and immediately in front of us is a new exam.

"We cannot look behind us so much enjoying our life. We're going to have a hard afternoon on Saturday when we play against Sheffield Wednesday, and we must be ready.

"It's a crucial period in the competition."

He added: "It's the last few games, and we must be extra focused and we must concentrate, and not spend so much time looking behind us.

"Behind us is part of history that doesn't stand for anything, regardless of if we're satisfied or not.

"Whether we're satisfied on Sunday morning depends what we do on Saturday."

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2018/april/opposition-view--slavisa-jokanovic/

WhiteJC

Sheffield Wednesday star relishing clash with Fulham ace

Sheffield Wednesday take on Fulham this weekend and the Owls will be looking to put out a massive statement with a win.

The men from Hillsborough have not had a good season and really wanted to be up where Fulham are at this point in the campaign.

Even so, their form has picked up in recent games and, though Fulham are arguably the toughest side to face in the league right now, they'll be fancying their chances of upsetting the apple cart for the Lilywhites.

For sure, it's going to be an intriguing battle this weekend between the two sides and Tom Lees appears to be relishing the prospect of coming up against an in form Aleksandar Mitrovic.

As quoted by the Sheffield Star, he said:

"He [Mitrovic] is in really good form. I watched the game (A 2-0 win over Leeds) the other night and he looked good. He's a big, strong player and that's the sort of player that I like playing against."

Mitrovic has been superb of late and really added an extra dimension to Fulham's attack. Lees has certainly improved Wednesday defensively since his return from injury, though, and so it should be a fascinating battle between the two.

The Verdict

Without Lees, Wednesday would surely not be feeling as confident as they perhaps are of keeping Mitrovic.

On form, the Owls man is one of the best in the league and with him getting back up to speed he's clearly ready to take on the Serbian marksman.

Whether or not he can keep him quiet for the whole game, then, remains to be seen.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/sheffield-wednesday-star-relishing-clash-with-fulham-ace/