more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (13/04/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 13, 2018, 07:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney: "We have to carry on winning"

Tom Cairney has talked up the significance of Fulham's 1-0 win over Reading, but insists that promotion to the Premier League is still a big ask.

The Cottagers maintained their impressive form on Tuesday night by grinding out a narrow victory at Craven Cottage, courtesy of Stefan Johansen's 25th-minute goal.

Cardiff lost to Aston Villa by the same scoreline, meanwhile, making it one point from the last nine on offer to blow the race for automatic promotion wide open.

Unbeaten in their last 20 matches, Fulham are now into second place and looking to hold on in the remaining weeks, although City still have a game in hand at Derby County to come in a fortnight.

Speaking to reporters after the game, Cairney said: "It is huge moving into the top two. Mentally it is big but we have not done anything yet and it is still in Cardiff's hands because they have a game in hand. All we can do is keep putting on the pressure and that is what we've done.

"We still see ourselves as the team chasing. We are above them at the minute but it is in their hands. We have to carry on winning. We have four games to see what our destiny is. We will go to win all four. If we do that then Cardiff are under serious pressure."

"Nothing changes for us. We are proud of the run we are on. Are we confident we will go up? We are confident we can win games. If it was in our hands I might have a more positive answer but it is not at the minute.

"But momentum is huge in this league. You could say we have had it for a few months but you have got to keep it and perform every week. To be 20 games unbeaten is something special. I do not know how Cardiff are feeling. We are just concentrating on ourselves."

Cardiff have the chance to move back into second place when travelling to Norwich City on Saturday afternoon, shortly before Fulham face Brentford in a West London derby.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/championship-promotion-race/news/tom-cairney-we-have-to-carry-on-winning_323239.html

WhiteJC

Another excellent display from Fulham
Fulham 1 Reading 0

FULHAM moved into the automatic promotion spot on Tuesday night with an excellent performance against Reading. A goal from Stefan Johansen following a sublime low cross by left-back Matt Targett ensured Fulham made it 20 games unbeaten in the Championship.

It was another excellent Fulham display. Reading, who knocked Fulham out of the play-offs last season, made it difficult for the Cottagers in the early stages, but the belief of the relegation-threatened side dropped after Johansen's strike.

Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli did not have to make one save, as the home side carved out numerous chances with the prolific Mitrovic lacking his usual clinical marksmanship.

A remarkable feature of Fulham's unbeaten run is that both January loan signings, Targett and Aleksander Mitrovic, have yet to lose a game in a Fulham shirt.

The signing of Targett freed Ryan Sessegnon to create havoc and Mitrovic's outstanding target man performances have allowed creative midfielders Johansen and Tom Cairney to excel.

Under the guidance of new manager Paul Clement, Reading have improved in recent games and it was this recent success to which the Reading manager attributed the added-time sending off of Leandro Bacuna for a rash and reckless challenge on Sessegnon.

Clement said: "I thought the challenge was a little bit reckless and showed frustration that we were not going to get the result we wanted."

His opposite number Slavisa Jokanovic downplayed the significance of Fulham moving into second spot, with Cardiff having a game in hand in which they could leapfrog his side and ensure that their promotion hopes rely on the Welsh side slipping up.

"It's not important that we are second. Still the situation is not in control. We are not thinking so much about the position. [We're] just being prepared for the next game.

"I am always thinking about short steps. I never look at what has gone on before or into the future. I'm sure that, over the next few weeks, many things will chop and change in the Championship and we have to stay calm."

https://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/article/another-excellent-display-fulham

WhiteJC

Fulham boss is only focused on Brentford and not Cottagers' promotion battle with Cardiff

The Whites win over Reading put them into second in the Championship

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic is determined his side will live in the moment and not look anywhere other than Brentford.

The Cottagers have undertaken a miraculous turnaround from being 17th in the league to second thanks to a miraculous 20-match unbeaten run.

The Serbian coach is not one to reflect on the past however, and won't even look ahead to Fulham's final three games until after they've met the Bees.

He said: "I am always thinking about short steps and this is where we are - where we are going to finish and looking back is not so important in this moment.

"What I trust, is that the past is not important. In the end this team tries to follow some kind of philosophy and some kind of preparation to compete, we do not look so far.

(Image: Paul Burgman)

"You know, we are enjoying today, we had a good performance and got three new points and we need more steps. It is only one, one is ahead of us next Saturday and after this step there will be another and another.

"We don't need to think about Millwall, Sunderland or Birmingham because this is not under our control and we must wait for these games.

"Important game is what is ahead of us. Against a good team, a team that is fighting for the play-off.

"I am happy when a team is fighting for something and come to visit us at our home."

The former Watford manager also wouldn't be drawn on Fulham's battle for second with Cardiff but couldn't help put the pressure on the Bluebirds.

He said: "It's important, the situation is still not under our control, it will depend on Cardiff, they have one game more than what we've played.

"At the end, this is good situation that we find tonight but we are not thinking about position in this moment.

"We catch one target, we are guaranteed to play in the play-offs, in the future we must be ready for next step, next step is Brentford game and we must be ready to try be in our best level and win the game."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-focus-brentford-cardiff-promotion-14518613

WhiteJC

Fulham v Brentford - Match Officials

The victory over Reading, on Tuesday evening, stretched Fulham`s current unbeaten run to twenty-games.

It also saw Slavisa Jokanovic`s side creep into second-place in the Championship table, although the Bluebirds do have a game in hand.

This Saturday, Fulham welcome Brentford to Craven Cottage, for a West London derby, a game where form, with bragging rights at stake, sometimes go out of the window.

With the fixture looming large, we are now able to bring you the names of those officiating in the fixture:

• Referee - Neil Swarbrick

• Assistant Referee - Simon Beck

• Assistant Referee - Derek Eaton

• Fourth Official - Keith Stroud

With regards to the referee, Keith Stroud, he has taken charge of 30 games this season and n those 30 games he has issued 130 yellow cards and 7 red cards.

This season, Keith Stroud has taken charge of the following games involving Fulham Football Club:

• 2 Jan - Championship - Fulham 4 Ipswich Town 1 - yellow cards issued 7, red cards issued 1.

• 6 Mar - Championship - Fulham 3 Sheffield United 0 - yellow cards issued 5, red cards issued 0.

• 30 Mar - Championship - Norwich 0 Fulham 2 - yellow cards issued 7, red cards issued 0.

Three fixtures and three wins, let`s hope that run continues.

COYW`s

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=525721#ixzz5CX2HOYIw

WhiteJC

Fulham player happy with first season at the club, 'lived up to expectations'

Fulham striker Rui Fonte has given an interview to Portuguese newspaper O Jogo this Wednesday.

The former Braga player has mostly spoken about his former teammates, making big compliments to Paulinho, the club's top goalscorer this season.

But there was obviously a little bit of room for Fonte to speak about his Championship adventure, which started last summer.  The player was sold from Braga to Fulham in a €9m deal last August.

Fonte had been a regular starter for the London side at first, but slowly lost his place in the team, and that's what he's talked about when interviewed by O Jogo.

The striker has five goals and five assists in 27 appearances this season, but his last goals were scored back in January.

"The club has top conditions and lived up to my expectations," Fonte told O Jogo. "I started well, I played a lot of games, but I scored few goals. Lately I have not played so much, but the team have guaranteed good results and this is always the most important."

Asked about the Portuguese players and managers who have been working in the Premier League, Fonte claims they are being welcomed in England.

"Carlos Carvalhal is the latest case, he managed to get Swansea out of a delicate situation. The Portuguese are highly praised here, not only for their quality but also for the professional and committed way they work."

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-player-happy-first-season-club-lived-expectations/

WhiteJC

Fulham star praises the impact of Newcastle's Aleksandar Mitrovic and Southampton's Matt Targett

The midfielder scored the winning goal against Reading on Tuesday night

Stefan Johansen has hailed the impact of Fulham's January signings in helping to turnaround the Cottagers' form.

Slavisa Jokanovic added Aleksandar Mitrovic, Matt Targett and Cyrus Christie to his squad during the transfer window and Norwegian international mentioned each individually.

The Whites have now extended their unbeaten run to 20 matches and Johansen believes the competition in team is crucial to that.

(Image: Paul Burgman)

He said: "The signings we made in January, we probably needed some fresh blood and Mitro came in and did brilliantly.

"Matty is different class as well and Cyrus who has come in and changed a couple of games for us. It is a massive thing if you want to go up.

"You need challenges in the squad between the players to keep fighting and that what it is all about.

"You need to fight for your place, good teams should have good players on the bench and in the stands as well.

"It's such an important part people coming from the bench to keep pushing and they might play the next game and then be a huge part of what we are achieving."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/fulham-newcastle-mitrovic-southampton-targett-14519226

WhiteJC

Fulham: Jokanović has made them promotion favourites

After coming close last season, Fulham look set to return to the Premier League after a four-year absence.

(Photo credit – Александр Осипов)

Fulham have yet to taste defeat in 2018 and have picked up an impressive 45 points from a possible 51. This has left the London side in the automatic promotion places and just four games away from calling themselves a Premier League side once again.

Fulham came ever so close last season to gaining promotion to the Premier League as their end of season form saw them make an unlikely push for the playoffs.

A 3-1 win against future Champions Newcastle United started a run of seven wins from a possible ten that propelled them into dreaming of a Premier League return.

A great season ended in disappointment as the team fell short in the playoffs succumbing to a 2-1 aggregate defeat against Reading. But the team showed that they had potential to be a contender next time around.

A slow start
There was a time this season where Fulham were rumoured to be looking at replacing their Jokanovic due to poor results. The team picked up just one win in their first six games and were mediocre until December.

The defeat to lowly Sunderland before Christmas left Fulham in 11th place and six points outside the playoffs. That defeat was arguably the best thing to happen to Fulham this season as the wake-up call of losing to a side who were yet to win a home game in the whole of 2017 would have stung.

Since that defeat to Sunderland, Fulham are yet to taste the bitterness of losing. Make that 20 games without defeat.

Jokanovic deserves credit for, not only turning his sides season around but for the manner in which his team has done so. He and his team could easily have sulked after a poor start to the season – just look at Reading who were the side who beat Fulham in the playoffs last season and now sit in the lower reaches of the table.

Not giving up
There was a time this season where Fulham were rumoured to be looking at replacing their Jokanovic due to poor results. The team picked up just one win in their first six games and were mediocre until December.

The defeat to lowly Sunderland before Christmas left Fulham in 11th place and six points outside the playoffs. That defeat was arguably the best thing to happen to Fulham this season as the wake-up call of losing to a side who were yet to win a home game in the whole of 2017 would have stung.

Since that defeat to Sunderland, Fulham are yet to taste the bitterness of losing. Make that 20 games without defeat.

Jokanovic deserves credit for, not only turning his sides season around but for the manner in which his team has done so. He and his team could easily have sulked after a poor start to the season – just look at Reading who were the side who beat Fulham in the playoffs last season and now sit in the lower reaches of the table.

Not giving up
Fulham have four games left to finish their season but their fate is not in their own hands despite them being in the top two currently. Cardiff have a game in hand on the Cottagers and sit just one point behind them.

But Fulham have four games that are winnable ahead. Brentford and Sunderland travel to the Cottage while they face away trips at Birmingham and Millwall.

The issue Fulham have is that they face three sides who all desperately need points. Birmingham and Sunderland are involved in a hotly contested relegation battle while Millwall are currently fighting for an unlikely playoff berth.

However, it would be silly to bet against Fulham completing an unlikely promotion as they have been rampant since Christmas.

If they can pick up three wins from their final four games, then they should be able to call themselves a Premier League team next season – and it is exactly what the Cottagers deserve.

https://realsport101.com/news/sports/football/fulham-jokanovic-has-made-them-promotion-favourites/

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic hailed as the 'best signing' in the Championship by Neil Warnock

Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock has praised Fulham for bringing in Aleksandar Mitrovic as the battle for promotion continues

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock has pinpointed Aleksandar Mitrovic as the reason for Fulham's remarkable run of form which has seen the London side leapfrog the Blue Birds into second place in the Championship.

Warnock's has seen his side slip out of the automatic promotion places after Fulham made it 20 games unbeaten in the Championship.

Their good form has coincided with the arrival of loan signing Mitrovic from Newcastle who has gone onto score eight goals in 13 league appearances.

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock has pinpointed Aleksandar Mitrovic as the reason for Fulham's remarkable run of form which has seen the London side leapfrog the Blue Birds into second place in the Championship.

Warnock's has seen his side slip out of the automatic promotion places after Fulham made it 20 games unbeaten in the Championship.

Their good form has coincided with the arrival of loan signing Mitrovic from Newcastle who has gone onto score eight goals in 13 league appearances.

Speaking after his side's defeat to Aston Villa, Warnock hailed Fulham for bringing in Mitrovic.

"The striker they got on loan has been the best signing in the whole league. That's what they've been missing for the past few years and all credit to them."

Mitrovic was set a 20 goal target by Rafa Benitez as he left on deadline day with the aim of getting first team football ahead of the World Cup in Russia.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aleksandar-mitrovic-hailed-best-signing-14519210

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic: 'Fulham will keep fighting for promotion'

Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has vowed that his team will "keep fighting" in the battle for automatic promotion from the Championship until the end of the season.

The Whites are within two points of second-placed Cardiff City - who have played a game fewer - after the weekend's round of fixtures, and the in-form Serbian has declared that all of their remaining matches will be treated like cup finals.

"We are very happy, but we don't have time to celebrate," the Evening Standard quotes Mitrovic as saying.

"Every game until the end of the season is a final. We have to go out there with this mentality to try and win every game. It is going to be hard. It will not be easy but that is the Championship and that is why this league is really interesting. We have to stay hungry, to keep fighting and we will see what is going to happen."

Fulham are back in Championship action this evening when they play host to Reading.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/mitrovic-fulham-will-keep-fighting_323145.html

WhiteJC

The Perfect Storm
by Lydia on April 11, 2018

Where do I start?

It's hard to put into words the emotions that I'm sure we all felt during last night's football. I work in a sports news room preparing various things for the news bulletins so at one point during the night I had the Manchester City v Liverpool game on one screen, the Aston Villa v Cardiff on another and had Gentleman Jim and Jamie Reid blasting in my ears. One thing that I love about working in a sports news room is that we are all sports fans, and when there is a night of football you can clearly tell who everyone supports. You get the various shouts of glee or frustration every so often, and no one bats an eyelid! On Saturday I let out a shout when Mitrovic put us in the lead and one colleague walked past and said, "Ah, Fulham scored, then?"

Too right they did.

Every game we play right now is crucial but last night was the night that I fully believed that Fulham would leapfrog Cardiff into second. Villa at home, after a poor defeat on Saturday, needed to prove to themselves and their supporters that they were still in with a chance of automatic promotion so needed to get a result against Cardiff. My cheer for Jack Grealish's thunderbolt of a winner late in the day was nearly as loud as my cheer for Johansen's goal for Fulham earlier on! The psychological torment that Cardiff had to cope with in the aftermath of missing two injury time penalties against Wolves on Friday night will have affected the team massively. It might have been different if Neil Warnock hadn't have lost his own nerve in a big way after that game, as I honestly think that you need your manager to lead by example. And that display, Neil, was not what your players or fans needed to see.

While we can be thrilled to have overtaken Cardiff into second for the time being, we can't get too ahead of ourselves. We could win all of our remaining games and still end up in the play offs if Cardiff beat Derby in their game in hand. We also have the very difficult task of heading into the lion's den to take on high flying Millwall, and that's after playing another West London Derby this weekend against Brentford. No game is straight forward in this league, but these are two very in form teams that we are taking on next. Things could still yet change.

For us the important thing is that we keep up this incredible run. It has been a glorious time as a Fulham fan, and that miserable defeat at Sunderland seems like a lifetime ago. We have to savour these moments as I have no idea when we will have a run like this again! The way the team is playing, the passion among them and supporters, the fantastic manager and backroom staff have all contributed to this perfect Fulham storm.

For now though, the boys will be focusing on Brentford and putting right the reverse fixture defeat at Griffin Park. We have four games left to fend off Cardiff, just four games left before a possible promotion party. This is history in the making.

#COYW

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/04/the-perfect-storm/

WhiteJC

The inside track on Cardiff City's rivals Fulham: why they keep winning and what they really think about the Bluebirds

Can Slavisa Jokanovic's side be stopped? We asked an expert for the lowdown on the unstoppable Craven Cottage club as the promotion run-in takes shape

Cardiff City fans know their side has a horrible habit of making things difficult for themselves.

And the recent defeats to Wolves and Aston Villa have shown us the Bluebirds are fallible, with promotion rivals Fulham looking unstoppable right now after another win which lifted them to second.

The Bluebirds have a game in hand, but it's anyone's guess who will snatch second place after this latest development.

It looks like a straight shootout between Neil Warnock's counter-attacking Cardiff and Slavisa Jokanovic's fluent Fulham for a place in the Premier League.

With that in mind, we asked Fulham reporter Scott Trotter for the inside line on Jokanovic's men: Can they can be stopped? How long can the unbeaten run continue? And what's the mood around Craven Cottage?

This is the lowdown on Fulham and how they're shaping up for the enormous automatic promotion run-in...

The incredible unbeaten run

Perhaps Cardiff's latest blip wouldn't have been so harshly punished had Fulham not been hanging onto their coat tails all this time.

Let's not forget the Bluebirds had won eight in a row themselves, enjoying a period that saw them go 13 games without defeat. But all the while Fulham were there or thereabouts, sweeping aside all before them.

"I think you could point to a couple of things to explain why Fulham have put together this 20-game unbeaten run," says Scott.

"The return to form of Tom Cairney after an injury-hit start to the season, January investment that included Aleksandar Mitrovic — but also Matt Targett, who has also been a real asset.

"More than anything though, it's a team that has started to gel and play how Jokanovic wants them to.

"The slow start, followed by great second half of the season, is reminiscent of Fulham's 2016/17 so it perhaps it takes a little while for the ethos to bed in and the football to start flowing. Right now, the Cottagers are gaining confidence with each win."

The mood around Craven Cottage

From underachieving and languishing in mid-table, the apathy around Craven Cottage has turned into hope, bordering on expectation.

They can barely remember their last defence (on December 16 against Sunderland) and after thrashing Cardiff 4-2 in South Wales on Boxing Day, the confidence has grown and grown, as Scott explains: "We've turned from a situation where Fulham were nearer the bottom of the table than the top and a small minority of fans were perhaps questioning Jokanovic's position.... to this.

"Crucially, there's now a belief that the Whites will score whereas you were never sure before.

"Targett and Ryan Fredericks provide superb deliveries in the box and Mitrovic and Ryan Sessegnon in particular are getting in positions to put the ball in the net from six yards.

Tom Cairney of Fulham celebrates scoring against QPR

Aleksandar Mitrovic of Fulham celebrates one of his many goals since signing on loan from Newcastle

"There's a sense that most of the side could play in the Premier League and, when they go 1-0 up, you don't see them relinquishing a lead — the QPR result aside — showing how the defence is gaining confidence from the form of the attackers."

How Fulham are viewing Cardiff right now

In a word, catchable. The Bluebirds have frustrated Fulham with their own impressive patch, but are finally showing the fault lines that Jokanovic will want to exploit.

"Judging by the jubilation when they beat Reading and heard about Jack Grealish's goal against Cardiff, the Fulham fans certainly fancy their chances," adds Scott.

"The atmosphere has been brilliant at Craven Cottage in recent weeks and it's hard not to believe in anything when your team has gone 20 matches unbeaten and collected 52 points from a possible 60.

"Chants of 'Cardiff City we're coming for you' and 'the Whites are going up' could be heard on Tuesday and there's definitely a fervour of excitement.

"Make no mistake, Fulham fans believe this can be done, despite Cardiff having that precious game in hand."

Fulham's Stefan Johansen celebrates scoring against Reading

Jokanovic confident?

Both Jokanovic and Warnock have traded blows in the media, both determined to remain underdogs.

And while Warnock likes holding court in the media, Scott explains why Jokanovic's understated style has helped contribute to Fulham's success.

"He's a guy that likes to stay in the moment."

"The Serbian gives an impression of being the coolest person in London as the pressure begins to amplify. After each match he refuse to focus on anything but preparation for the next game.

"He believes in his team though, and is impressed that they can now grind out 1-0 wins as well as blow teams away. The former Watford boss was quick to point out that Cardiff still had a game in hand despite dropping to third however..."

The run-in

Scott, like many in the Fulham camp, can only see one winner when it comes to hunting down the final automatic promotion spot.

"Maybe I've been spending too much time around managers but I actually think Fulham have a harder run-in than Cardiff.

"The games against Brentford and Millwall are huge. Two derbies but also two teams that are chasing the play-offs. The Lions are 16 matches unbeaten and in sixth and Brentford are four points below them. The Bees dispatched Fulham 3-1 in December.

"I don't think you can help but pick Fulham to snatch second though; the form is with them and momentum just seems to be straying away from Cardiff at the wrong time of the season."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/inside-track-cardiff-citys-rivals-14517151

WhiteJC

Matt Targett: I've had no contact from Saints

MATT Targett has revealed that Saints have not been in contact with him since joining Fulham on loan in January.

The 22-year-old from Eastleigh is yet to experience a defeat in 13 games for the Cottagers, who are unbeaten in 16 matches since losing at home to Saints in the FA Cup third round.

Targett has been a big factor in their rise into the Championship's top two.

Asked if Saints had been in contact in the last few months, he told Get West London: "Believe it or not, I've had none.

"They're in a sticky patch themselves so we'll just have to wait and see what happens at the end of the season.

"[Staying at Fulham next season] is certainly an option, everyone wants to play Premier League football and if Fulham are in the Premier League then I don't see why not.

"I've enjoyed every minute here at Fulham, we haven't lost yet while I've been here and we have to keep that run going.

"I knew Fulham were a good side, but I didn't realise just how good they were, it's been nice playing week-in, week-out so I can't complain.

"The manager said to me to play my natural game, I like to pass the ball and he likes that style. It was a no-brainer to come here and I've fitted in perfectly."

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/16152786.Matt_Targett__I_ve_had_no_contact_from_Saints/?ref=rss

WhiteJC

David Prutton's EFL predictions

Aston Villa v Leeds, Friday 7.45pm - Live on Sky Sports Football

What an end to the game it was at Villa Park on Tuesday night! Aston Villa needed a result against Cardiff and Jack Grealish came up with the goods for them with that stunning volley.

You'd fancy Steve Bruce's side against Leeds, who just want the season to end. Although Villa have slipped a few times lately when you've expected them to go on and win. That being said, I think this is a home win.

Prutton predicts: 2-0 with Jack Grealish to score first (33/1 with Sky Bet)

Fulham v Brentford, Saturday 5.30pm - Live on Sky Sports Football

What a job Fulham have done to get themselves above Cardiff and into the top two. It's 20 games unbeaten now for Slavisa Jokanovic's side and 16 of those have been wins. What a remarkable run it's been.

Brentford are a tough proposition for them, however. The Bees still have a shot at the play-offs and they turned Fulham over at Griffin Park in December. I think this will be close, but I fancy Fulham to just about edge it.

Prutton predicts: 1-0 with Aleksandar Mitrovic to score (20/1 with Sky Bet)

Norwich v Cardiff, Saturday 3pm

What a disappointing week it's been for Cardiff. From seeming certain for automatic promotion it now looks like they're going to have to scrap with Fulham for that spot, and they'd probably have preferred an easier game than Norwich.

The Canaries have nothing but pride to play for this season, but that didn't stop them beating Villa at the weekend! Still, though, Cardiff have shown resolve before and I've got to back them to get back to winning ways here.

Prutton predicts: 1-2 (8/1 with Sky Bet)

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/34681/11325349/david-pruttons-efl-predictions

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic unleashed at Fulham after Newcastle struggle

Aleksandar Mitrovic has shone on loan at Fulham

Aleksandar Mitrovic is firing Fulham towards promotion after falling out of favour at Newcastle. He tells Sky Sports about his outstanding form, what he has learnt from his "silly mistakes", and how countryman Slavisa Jokanovic is helping him channel his aggression...

"So many things were going through my head," Aleksandar Mitrovic tells Sky Sports. The Serb is casting his mind back to the drama of transfer deadline day, when a proposed loan move to his former club Anderlecht collapsed at the 11th hour, threatening to leave him in non-playing limbo at Newcastle in a World Cup year.

Mitrovic recalls the "stress" of flying back from Belgium with his future unresolved and the "pressure" of the clock ticking towards the deadline, but on a sunny afternoon in south-west London three months later, he is thankful. If things had worked out as intended, he would never have sent the opportunistic message to Slavisa Jokanovic which led him to Fulham.

"It was worth the stress," he says with a smile. "One hundred per cent."

All the stress has melted away now. The tattooed 23-year-old has a reputation as a hot-head but in a small stand overlooking one of the training pitches at Fulham's Motspur Park training ground, where he has just collected the Sky Bet Championship Player of the Month award, he seems totally at ease. Mitrovic could not get a game at Newcastle, but he has scored nine goals in his first 11 starts for Fulham.

His latest, a clinical first-time finish which secured a late 1-0 win at Sheffield Wednesday at the weekend, put Fulham within touching distance of the automatic promotion places. On Tuesday night, they jumped above Cardiff with another victory over Reading. Fulham are on an extraordinary 20-game unbeaten run. The Premier League is within reach.

"I hope I will continue like this and the team will continue with this form," says Mitrovic. "We only have a few games left but they are all finals. We need that mentality to continue like this and try to put the pressure on Cardiff. We have some tough games but they do too so it's going to be interesting."

Mitrovic, a £13m signing from Anderlecht in 2015, had not started a league game in nine months at Newcastle. He insists his relationship with Rafael Benitez remains cordial, but the emphasis on tactics and defence did not suit him. At free-wheeling Fulham, who have scored more goals than any other Championship side since the turn of the year, he feels far more comfortable.

"I really enjoy the way the team plays and the players that they have," he says. "It's a good style and a good team for me. I think it's a good team for any striker. I thought I could enjoy this style and I'm really happy to be on the pitch and scoring goals to try to do the best that I can to help the team achieve what we want from this season."

Aleksandar Mitrovic celebrates his goal against Sheffield Wednesday

Does he have any regrets about Newcastle? "I would never say I regret that I was there, but I have regret because I didn't play as much as I could and maybe I should have scored more goals. There are a lot of things I wanted to do there that I didn't do, so of course I have regret, but I still enjoyed my time there and I'm still a Newcastle player so we will see what happens."

At the moment, though, his focus is Fulham. Mitrovic has relished the service provided by new team-mates Stefan Johansen, Tom Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon - "I think he is a player who is going to play for a top, top club," he says of the latter - but the most important influence is undoubtedly Jokanovic, who he has known since his days at boyhood club Partizan Belgrade.

He looks tough but he's a real gentleman and a really nice guy.

Aleksandar Mitrovic on Slavisa Jokanovic

"He was a big player in Serbia and now he's one of the best managers Serbia have," says Mitrovic. "He looks tough but he's a real gentleman and a really nice guy. I spoke to him a few times and in the end we ended up together so I'm really happy. I'm really enjoying working with him and playing under him. He didn't give up on me and neither did Fulham."

It comes down to "faith, trust and game-time", according to Mitrovic. "That's important if you are a striker. I could tell that he felt confidence in me. If you really feel trust from the manager, it's much easier to play. That's what I feel now. I know that he believes in me and I know what he wants from me. My job is to do that and do it well. I hope I will continue like this."

Mitrovic has given Fulham the attacking focal point they previously lacked and already scored more times than any of the club's other strikers have managed all season, but he is just as popular among fans for his full-blooded style as his goals. Since his debut, there have been three bookings, a bicep-flexing celebration against Sheffield United and more fouls than any other Fulham player.

Crucially, however, his aggression has not yet spilled over. Mitrovic is an explosive, instinctive striker whose short fuse and maverick character have already landed him five career red cards at the age of just 23 - including two in one season at Newcastle - but so far at Fulham he has largely succeeded in keeping his temper in check.

So how has Jokanovic helped?

Mitrovic smiles and makes a calming motion with his hands. "He tells me: 'Use your head and stay calm'," he says. "He tells me to stay focused and not spend energy on some things that are not important."

I made some silly mistakes but I have tried to learn from my mistakes.

Aleksandar Mitrovic

Rather than removing the natural aggression that makes him such a handful for opposition defenders, however, it is simply a case of curbing it. "I am very competitive and I want to win every game," he says. "That's my way. That's how I have played all my life. It's how I see football and that's it. I'm a winner and I will try to do everything to win the game.

"I made some silly mistakes but I have tried to learn from my mistakes. It's not always possible to channel the anger in the right way but I try to stay focused on the team and to do my job. That is to stay on the pitch and to score goals, to assist, to create space. I need my passion but I have to control it. I try to use it on the goal and on the team."

Mitrovic has scored nine goals in his first 11 starts for Fulham

Mitrovic's fine form has prompted links with Premier League sides West Ham and Everton, but he has not ruled out staying at Fulham, nor is he certain of leaving Newcastle permanently.

"I am 100 per cent focused on Fulham and the upcoming games," he says. "I hope we get promoted, then I will have the World Cup, then I will need to rest a little bit, then we will see what happens. But I am 100 per cent with my head here. I want to give back to Fulham because they gave me the chance to come here, play games and be part of this beautiful club. I will do everything I can to help the team get promoted."

All the stress, pressure and uncertainty of deadline day is still fresh in the memory, but it would be foolish to bet against him now.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11678/11326279/aleksandar-mitrovic-unleashed-at-fulham-after-newcastle-struggle

WhiteJC

The inside track on Cardiff City as they challenge Fulham for automatic promotion

We spoke to Dominic Booth from WalesOnline to find out more about the Bluebirds and whether they're feeling the pressure

Well looks at that, the race for second place has been blown wide open and right now Fulham are in the driving seat.

The Bluebirds have a game in hand thanks to that postponed match with Derby and lie just a single point behind the Cottagers but are they losing their bottle?

Defeats to Wolves and Aston Villa will have left doubts in the minds of many, who perhaps though Cardiff would simply have midtable mediocrity to worry about this season rather than a potential foray into the Premier League.

We get the lowdown on what we can expect from the Bluebirds and what has happened so far this from WalesOnline Digital Sports Writer Dominic Booth as the race heads down to the wire.

Did anyone expect Cardiff to be challenging for automatic promotion at this stage? What has got them into this position?

It's fair to say hardly anyone (outside Neil Warnock's office) expected Cardiff to be top two contenders this season, but the Warnock factor has proved decisive in keeping the Bluebirds in the promotion mix.

The veteran boss bought well in the summer to ensure his team got off to a rapid start. And they've proven tough nuts to crack ever since, relying on a rock solid defence and a swift counter-attack to blitz teams that aren't up to their physical standard.

They've been a streaky side this season too - going on long winning runs while enduring the odd blip - because their best attackers are all confidence players with Warnock's man management skills the catalyst to tip the balance in Cardiff's favour.

Is it a case of character over class?

It would be unfair to suggest Cardiff don't have classy players. Sol Bamba and Junior Hoilett are as good as anyone in the division in their positions, but certainly the whole squad has character in abundance.

The stand-in skipper: Kevin McDonald (Image: Olly Greenwood/PA Wire)

Even fringe players, like Anthony Pilkington, have come into the side and done a great job, showing that team spirit has stayed strong throughout the season. Cardiff will need more of that for the rest of the campaign, for sure.

Two defeats after incredible run, can Bluebirds rally?

You wouldn't bet against them, although those two defeats will really hurt. Especially the manner of them with late heartache against both Wolves and Villa.

It's now Warnock's job to rally the troops ahead of some tough fixtures, but Cardiff also have leaders on the pitch in Bamba, Sean Morrison and Aron Gunnarsson to galvanise those around them.

With Fulham sneaking ahead - although Cardiff have a game in hand - it will be a mammoth test of the Bluebirds' mettle. So far this season, they've overcome every mental barrier.

Warnock starting to crack after that Wolves outburst?

He might give that impression when he rants at raves at opposition managers and referees, but we're talking about someone who has seven promotions to his name.

He's been here before!

So has Jokanovic, mind you, so it's really difficult to tell who will blink first. Both have been playing mind games in the media, claiming their side is the underdog in the hunt for second place.

Missed penalties, Derby cancellation, is fate conspiring against the club?

The Derby postponement may yet work out in Cardiff's favour, as they travel up there on April 24 for their game in hand and will be desperate to beat the Rams to set the record straight.

Those penalties [against Wolves] will certainly be cause for frustration though, but it's about whether Cardiff can forget all that has gone before and hold their nerve for the final furlong.

Thoughts on the run-in?

Cardiff's run-in is a whole lot tougher than Fulham's, with away games at Norwich, Hull and Derby, plus home matches against Nottingham Forest and Reading.

Those games at Cardiff City Stadium ought to yield three points each. But the way Fulham are playing, Cardiff may have to pick up five or six points from the three away games too.

The visit to Carrow Road - where Cardiff have an appalling record of late, failing to win there in 11 years - will prove all important.

If the Bluebirds win there, they get their promotion bid back on course. Fulham's trip to Millwall looks a potential boost for Cardiff.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/fulham-cardiff-city-automatic-promotion-14519717

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic gives big new interview on Newcastle, Fulham, his competitive nature and life after the World Cup

Aleksandar Mitrovic "It comes down to faith, trust and game-time...I'm still a Newcastle player so we will see what happens."

Aleksandar Mitrovic has played 13 times at Fulham and helped produce ten wins and three draws.

As well as leading the line well and getting a lot of praise for his workrate and all-round contribution, the striker has also done his main/proper job, scoring nine goals.

There will no doubt be the same divide amongst the same Newcastle fans on either side of the argument, as to whether if Rafa had kept and played Mitro, the Serbian cold have scored goals and NUFC could potentially have done even better with him in the team, after Dubravka and Kenedy gave such a boost after arriving in January.

What can't be denied, is that you can't ignore Aleksandar Mitrovic, even in nine months without a league start for Newcastle he was talked about at least as much as any other NUFC player.

As Fulham at last overhauled Cardiff this midweek, the Welsh club's boss pointed to the player who had made the big difference and potentially may be the final piece in the Cottagers' promotion puzzle:

"The striker [Aleksandar Mitrovic] they got on loan has been the best signing in the whole league.

"That is what they've been missing for the past few years and all credit to them."

The Newcastle loan star has been speaking to Sky Sports ahead of this weekend when the broadcaster is showing live their home match with Brentford, at Saturday teatime.

It obviously still hurts him that things haven't worked out at Newcastle, so far, he doesn't totally rule out staying at the club – but the chances must be slim. Unless of course Mike Ashley once again prices the forward out of a permanent move elsewhere.

Mitrovic says he would never regret coming to Newcastle but does regret not getting more games and not scoring 'more goals' when he was playing.

Like all strikers, confidence is a big factor and once again Mitro comes back to that, saying how with Fulham boss Jokanovic 'It comes down to faith, trust and game-time'.

Whether Rafa was right or not in his dealings with Aleksandar Mitrovic, you certainly can't fault the striker for his reaction to being sidelined for so long/so often, never once did he come out in the media and try to cause trouble.

For Newcastle supporters who are both fans of Mitro and those who aren't, it will be an interesting next three or four months as we watch from afar to see what happens with Fulham, then in Russia, and finally where he will be playing next season.

Aleksandar Mitrovic speaking to Sky Sports:

"I really enjoy the way the team [Fulham] plays and the players that they have, it is a good style and a good team for me. I think it's a good team for any striker.

"I thought I could enjoy this style and I'm really happy to be on the pitch and scoring goals to try to do the best that I can to help the team achieve what we want from this season."

Newcastle United?

I would never say I regret that I was there, but I have regret because I didn't play as much as I could and maybe I should have scored more goals.

"There are a lot of things I wanted to do there that I didn't do, so of course I have regret, but I still enjoyed my time there and I'm still a Newcastle player so we will see what happens."

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic?

"He was a big player in Serbia and now he's one of the best managers Serbia have.

"He looks tough but he's a real gentleman and a really nice guy.

"It comes down to faith, trust and game-time, that's important if you are a striker. I could tell that he felt confidence in me. If you really feel trust from the manager, it's much easier to play. That's what I feel now. I know that he believes in me and I know what he wants from me. "

Anger management/competitiveness?

"I am very competitive and I want to win every game.That's my way.

"That's how I have played all my life. It's how I see football and that's it. I'm a winner and I will try to do everything to win the game.

"I made some silly mistakes but I have tried to learn from my mistakes. It's not always possible to channel the anger in the right way but I try to stay focused on the team and to do my job. That is to stay on the pitch and to score goals, to assist, to create space.

"I need my passion but I have to control it. I try to use it on the goal and on the team."

What next?

"I am 100% focused on Fulham and the upcoming games.

"I hope we get promoted, then I will have the World Cup, then I will need to rest a little bit, then we will see what happens...

"But I am 100% with my head here and I want to give back to Fulham because they gave me the chance to come here, play games and be part of this beautiful club, I will do everything I can to help the team get promoted."

https://www.themag.co.uk/2018/04/aleksandar-mitrovic-gives-big-new-interview-newcastle-fulham-competitive-nature-life-world-cup-newcastle-united/

WhiteJC

Store Closure

Fans are advised that due to essential maintenance works scheduled at Craven Cottage on Sunday 15th April, the Stadium Store will be closed all day.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, but supporters can still head to our online store 24/7.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/april/12/store-closure

WhiteJC

U23s Host Southampton

Peter Grant's Under-23s host Southampton in the PL2 on Friday evening at Motspur Park in a 7pm kick off.

Having reached the business end of the season, both teams are vying for the play-offs with two matches remaining.

Fulham are sixth in the table with 29 points, two points off Reading who occupy the final play-off spot. Southampton are one place below the Whites, with two points less.

Last time these two sides met was in the reverse fixture at Southampton's training ground.

Fulham dramatically won 4-3 with an explosive first half which saw the teams level with 3-3 at the break.

Jordan Graham scored the opener and Elijah Adebayo grabbed himself a brace, Mikolaj Kwietniewski scored the winner in the 82nd minute.

Fulham's form has dipped as of late with one win in their last five matches, the Saints have picked up 10 points from their last five fixtures.

Reading, who the Whites are chasing, have also only won one of their last five.

In the race for the final play-offs, Fulham's remaining fixtures are against the Saints and Newcastle United who sit second from bottom of the PL2 Division 2.

Reading's next matches are against the Magpies and Stoke City. After playing the Whites, Southampton face league leaders Middlesbrough at home.

For those that can't attend the match at Motspur Park, the fixture will be broadcast live, free for fulhamfctv subscribers. Alternatively, there will be live updates provided on the Club's official twitter account, @FulhamFC.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/april/12/u23s-host-southampton

WhiteJC

Have Cardiff City bottled automatic promotion?

Anthony Pilkington fired home an injury-time equaliser. The travelling support erupted into riotous scenes. Neil Warnock punched the air with jubilation, although, of course, not too joyously. He wouldn't want to offend his opposite number in the same "disgraceful" manner as Nuno Espirito Santo would just four days later, but more on that in a bit.

Cardiff City had been under the cosh for the whole game. Sheffield United exerted maximum pressure in their pursuit of a vital scalp in the race for the playoffs. Chris Wilder's men could, probably should, have had a two or three goal lead before Pilkington struck.

Yet, it was a sign of promotion. A team able to grind out results despite poor performance, pick up a point where none seemed forthcoming, deserved to go up. Indeed, the table seemed to support this assessment. City sat comfortably in second place, eight points ahead of Fulham with a game in hand.

Fast forward a week and a bit from that Easter Monday recovery and Warnock's side are now third, a point behind Fulham. Disoriented? That sums it up. In an eight-day period, the Bluebirds lost twice and saw their grip on automatic promotion slip quite dramatically.

Four days after the encounter at Brammal Lane, the Bluebirds welcomed Wolves in a hotly-anticipated title-decider. Well, supposedly. A record league attendance at the City Stadium greeted Warnock's side, but they failed to impose themselves for large portions of the game. When Ruben Neves curled in a jaw-dropping free-kick, it was no surprise.

As they always do, this Cardiff side rallied. They bombarded the Wanderers' backline, hoping the onslaught would cause a mistake, a slip, anything. It even happened. Twice.

Few people don't know what happened next, but just for the sake of setting the scene: Cardiff were awarded two penalties in the space of 30 seconds. They missed both. Cue Nuno's wild scenes of celebration which left Warnock in full Gran Torino mode.

This was a disorientating experience for all clad in blue within the CCS. It was disbelief. As Warnock ranted in his post-match press conference over the ungentlemanly conduct of Nuno, Fulham fans were licking their lips. They responded by beating Sheffield Wednesday, closing the gap to just two points.

The last place Cardiff wanted to visit after such an exhaustive encounter was Villa Park. Almost predictably, they hit the post, had a shot scrambled off the line, and otherwise had the unfortunate experience of meeting an inspired Sam Johnstone in the Villa net. City once again lost, this time to a Jack Grealish screamer. Get him on the plane, Gareth.

In by now completely predictable fashion, Fulham won. Their one-goal triumph over Reading pushed the Cottagers past Cardiff into second.

Warnock's side still hold a game in hand. Their destiny remains in their control. That is if they can rediscover their control. Ironically, their spare game comes away at Derby. Originally, the fixture was notoriously called off despite a suspicious lack of snow. The Rams are also fighting for a playoff spot after threatening to tumble out of the top six.

Cardiff's fixtures list is more daunting than Fulham's. Alongside the rearranged fixture with Gary Rowett's men, the Bluebirds travel to an insurgent Norwich City, then Hull City. Fulham's most testing fixture is Millwall away, before facing Sunderland and Birmingham. Both side's fate may be sealed by the time they match up.

It would seem a tad harsh to brandish Cardiff 'bottlers', not only because the season is not yet over, but it would be folly to put it past Warnock to pick his men up once again. The problem is Fulham's remarkable form.

Salvisa Jokanovic's men are unbeaten in 20, a staggering run that stretches before Christmas. Few saw them coming because such runs are extremely rare in the division. To be fair to Cardiff, the Championship is a division where the extremely rare tends to poke its head up at the most inopportune moments.

Rather than casting scornful blame on the Welsh, this churlish response should be replaced with credit and praise for the astonishing success Jokanovic has wrought at Fulham. I just don't feel like being the bigger man.

http://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/articles/have-cardiff-city-bottled-automatic-promotion

WhiteJC

Cardiff City still have the edge over Fulham in battle for Premier League promotion

No need to panic because promotion is still very much in Bluebirds' own hands

What a difference a week makes.

Back-to-back losses to Wolves and Aston Villa, coupled with Fulham wins over Sheffield Wednesday and Reading, have suddenly seen the Cottagers leap above Cardiff City into the promotion spots .

Cue panic amongst many fans sweating upon the Bluebirds' prospects of going up into the Premier League.

Welcome to the real world of football, I respond. This is how it was always going to be, nip and tuck right up until the final day.

Tense and tight, but to be enjoyed.

What next? Here's my take on the big issues facing Neil Warnock and his team...

BLUEBIRDS OR FULHAM? THERE'S NO NEED TO PANIC

I've won promotion a few times before, with Bolton, Cardiff, Wolves and Blackburn and by and large it's always the same. It's nerve-shredding, no-one is going to hand you it on a plate. You have to go out and TAKE it.

I know a lot of Bluebirds fans appear to be panicking a little, as a result of events of the last few days, but there really is no need.

Cardiff still have the upper hand. Win the remaining five games and there's nothing Fulham can do about it.

The players have got to stay calm, focussed and relaxed. It's when you start worrying that you begin making stupid mistakes and give goals away.

Whilst I felt Cardiff were poor against Wolves in every sense, like Neil Warnock I still cannot believe they didn't win the game at Aston Villa. That performance gave me great encouragement.

We had real chances in front of goal, their keeper pulled off four brilliant stops. If Nathaniel Mendez-Laing's early strike had been an inch the other side, instead of hitting the post, I'm convinced Cardiff would have won that comfortably.

These are the fine margins we're talking about, but Cardiff played well enough in defeat to convince me they can go to Norwich this weekend and edge it 1-0.

Whilst I felt Cardiff were poor against Wolves in every sense, like Neil Warnock I still cannot believe they didn't win the game at Aston Villa. That performance gave me great encouragement.

We had real chances in front of goal, their keeper pulled off four brilliant stops. If Nathaniel Mendez-Laing's early strike had been an inch the other side, instead of hitting the post, I'm convinced Cardiff would have won that comfortably.

These are the fine margins we're talking about, but Cardiff played well enough in defeat to convince me they can go to Norwich this weekend and edge it 1-0.

Sometimes it's easier to be the hunter than the hunted, as Warnock said .

Fulham have the easier run-in, people keep telling me. Let me make one thing clear - there are no easy games at this stage of the season.

Cardiff need to hang in there, wait for a Fulham slip. Even if the Cottagers keep winning, Cardiff still have it in their own hands to overtake them.

And even if Fulham do finish second, Cardiff can still go up via the play-offs. I've experienced that, too, and it's quite magical.

No need to panic, everything still to play for.

DOES WARNOCK MAKE CHANGES?

Another thing lots are saying is that Warnock has to make changes, freshen up the side, give Cardiff a new dynamism.

No. I don't agree. If they'd been awful at Villa fair enough, but they weren't. They played really well and deserved better.

Cardiff have made their name this season through being strong and powerful, defensively resilient, and good on the break with Mendez-Laing, Junior Hoilett and Kenneth Zohore.

They should stick to that system and personnel for me, no need to tinker.

The analogy I will use is England and Harry Kane. He's this so-called world-beating centre-forward, yet Kane goes to the Euros and completely bombs. Suddenly people are saying Daniel Sturridge or Marcus Rashford or Jamie Vardy should be playing.

Changing the personnel doesn't solve the problem, winning a football match does.

Cardiff haven't been a free-scoring team the whole season. The fact Callum Paterson is top scorer, and he was bought as a right-back, says everything you need to know bout it.

Their mantra has been keep a clean sheet and try to win 1-0. Or keep the opposition to a goal and we'll get two.

The formula has got Cardiff where they are today and they just need to finish off the job.

Things don't always go smoothly over the course of a season, you get down spikes. It's like a boxer in a 12 round fight. He dominates early on, gets hit on the chin midway through, stumbles to the floor, gets back up, weathers the storm and then does what he did at the start to get back on top again in rounds ten, 11 and 12.

That's what Cardiff have do to in the Championship. They're in the middle of a wobble. They have the steel, experience and record to get back to what they were doing before.

THE GUNNARSSON CRITICISM

Aron Gunnarsson has come in for a lot of flak since his return from injury , even though I think he's done okay.

But there's a lot of pressure on him. He'll be thinking 'I've come into a winning team and suddenly we're losing. Are people going to blame me?'

That's human nature.

Privately, in Warnock's office they'll also be asking themselves whether they have put too much at Gunnarsson's door.

It takes six games to get up to match sharpness. Gunnar has had three after his absence, so it's understandable he isn't quite at the level Warnock would want.

The manager might have thought Gunnarsson could just float with the winning team he came into, but in Wolves and Aston Villa they've met formidable opposition who have been able to counteract Cardiff's strengths.

Cardiff's problem is they don't have six games at tis stage of the season. Do they roll the dice and stick with Gunnarsson, hoping it will work out?

Or do they go for Craig Bryson or Loic Damour to offer greater legs in the midfield?

Because Marco Grujic isn't the quickest or most mobile, it highlights Gunnarsson's own lack of match sharpness and ability to go box to box.

What will Warnock do? I don't know. What would I do? I don't know that, either.

It really is a 50-50 call.

THE MADINE MYSTERY

Many are questioning why Gary Madine was bought for £6m and what he brings to the table, but put yourself inside the mind of a centre-forward for a moment.

Madine is accustomed to being number one striker, but was clearly signed as competition for Kenneth Zohore, who then upped his own gaame.

Because Zohore is rightly first pick, Madine has had to get accustomed to being on the bench, getting the odd 10 minutes here or there. It's strange for him, as a striker you can't get into any kind of rhythm like that.

When he's coming on he has to chase the game, ends up trying too hard because he so wants to impress.

He's copping a lot of flak because he missed that penalty against Wolves. But even if Madine had scored 40 goals, then missed a crucial penalty, my guess is he'd still get criticism.

The best thing he can do is come on against Norwich and hit an 87th minute winner. Then score against Forest and Derby, too.

AND SO TO NORWICH

I was disappointed with Cardiff against Wolves, but I repeat the performance was so good in defeat to Aston Villa that they can head to Norwich with real belief.

Games at this stage are about character and just getting over the line. Cardiff have proven time and again this season they have those qualities in abundance.

It will be tense and tight, but I think Cardiff will do it. 1-0.

Over to you, Fulham.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/cardiff-city-fulham-championship-promotion-14520115