Started by WhiteJC, April 14, 2018, 07:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Results

Friday
Aston Villa
1 - 0 Leeds

WhiteJC

Revealed: What superstitions Fulham fans have been following on this 20 game unbeaten run

As it's Friday 13 - we thought we'd find out what superstitions Fulham fans have been following on this 20 game unbeaten run

Football fans are a superstitious bunch.

After the 1-0 victory over Reading on Tuesday night, Fulham made it 20 games unbeaten, forcing themselves into second place in the process after Aston Villa beat Cardiff City by the same scoreline.

There's still a long way to go until May 6 and that final game against Birmingham City, with a lot of twists and turns yet, but going that many games unbeaten is something to admire.

And, of course, an unbeaten run like that is bound to raise some superstitions amongst football fans (and players) alike.

Seeing as it's Friday 13, an unlucky day for some, we thought we'd find out what routines and rituals Fulham fans have been doing since this run start on December 16 - five months ago now.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/revealed-what-superstitions-fulham-fans-14525790

WhiteJC

"Everyone has to be ready for it"

Neal Maupay looks ahead to tomorrow's derby trip to Fulham

Brentford top scorer Neal Maupay admits The Bees are still in a must-win situation as the team prepares to make the short trip to Craven Cottage on Saturday evening.

Three straight 1-0 victories, two of them coming after goals from the Frenchman, have left Dean Smith's side four points outside the Play-Offs with four games to play. The 21-year-old feels The Bees haven't been at their best in recent weeks but as long as they keep grinding out the wins, like they did on Tuesday night at Nottingham Forest, that's all that matters.

"It was a difficult game; I don't think we played well but we just need three points," admitted Neal to iFollow Brentford, speaking about Tuesday's victory. "That is what we did. We deserved the win but I think we can, and have, to do better. However, if we win every game and don't play well then it doesn't matter. We are confident at the moment as we are in a good way. We have to keep going because if we want to make the Play-Offs we have to win all our games. We can only think about one game; when we are on the pitch we will fight to the end to get the win. We know that if we don't win it is probably finished for the Play-Offs so we have to go and play hard, and try to win."

Those two winners in recent weeks, against Bristol City and Ipswich Town, were Neal's 11th and 12th strikes of his debut season in England. Coming from France, Neal admits the congested nature of the Championship fixture schedule has been tough to adapt to but said he's doing everything he can to be in the right shape to add to his tally during the final run-in.

"I have already played 40 games whereas in France, if you played every league game, you would only play 38 games," said Neal. "It's crazy but I think I am doing a great job in training, and with the physios, to be fit. I am young so I am not really tired but when you play three times a week for three weeks it is hard at the end. However, I do a great job to feel good and feel fresh on the pitch. I am pleased with my goals and my confidence at the moment but I think I can do more for the team. I am always thinking that I can be better and improve. However, I've scored twice in the last three games so I am confident. Hopefully there are a few more goals coming."

Neal was suspended for The Bees 3-1 victory over Fulham at Griffin Park back in December but has derby experience, after featuring in both games against Queens Park Rangers so far this campaign. With both sides needing the points for their own promotion ambitions, Neal is expecting an epic encounter at Craven Cottage in front of the TV cameras tomorrow. 

"It will be a big derby," admitted Neal. "A lot of fans will be there. They are fighting to get into the Premier League and targeting second place while we are fighting for the Play-Offs. It will be a very good game and everyone has to be ready for it. When you are struggling in the game and hear the fans behind you, pushing you to give everything you have, it helps you. It will be good to have a lot of fans there on Saturday. Playing Queens Park Rangers, the Brentford fans were noisy and it was a really good atmosphere. I also scored against QPR in the cup which was a good feeling. I expect the same on Saturday and I hope that we can get the win."

https://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2018/april/neal-maupay-pre-fulham/

WhiteJC

West Brom and Fulham eye Cunningham

HITC Sport understands duo are tracking Preston defender Cunningham.

West Bromwich Albion and Fulham are eyeing moves for Preston North End defender Greg Cunningham this summer, HITC Sport understands.

Cunningham has established himself as one of the most consistent defenders in the Championship after impressing in the past three seasons for Preston.

The former Manchester City youngster is entering the final year of his contract at Preston and as yet there has been no new deal agreed at Deepdale.

The news has alerted a number of Cunningham's suitors who are ready to test Preston's resolve to hang onto the left-back this summer.

West Brom are expected to make wholesale changes to their squad this summer once their inevitable relegation from the Premier League is confirmed.

The Baggies expect to lose a number of their key stars who will not want to drop down into the Championship and the club's scouting staff are already looking at players who have experience of playing in the Championship for next season.

Fulham are also in the market for left-back reinforcements with Matt Targett expected to return to Southampton following his loan spell at Craven Cottage, while speculation continues to surround the long-term future of Ryan Sessegnon with a host of the Premier League's top clubs chasing the teenager's signature.

Preston are keen to keep hold of Cunningham with the Republic of Ireland international a key member of Alex Neil's side, but they are bracing themselves for offers this summer.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/04/13/por-west-brom-and-fulham-eye-cunningham/

WhiteJC

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock predicts when Fulham will slip up in promotion race

The Cardiff boss delivered a brilliant tongue-in-cheek response when asked about the Cottagers' incredible run of form

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock has jibed that Sunderland are the most likely side to end Fulham's blistering run of form in the Champonship.

The Cottagers leapfrogged the Bluebirds into second place in England's second tier in midweek as they extended their unbeaten run to 20 matches with a 1-0 victory over Reading at Craven Cottage while Cardiff were beaten by Aston Villa .

Despite suffering back-to-back defeats, Cardiff's destiny remains in their own hands given that they boast a game in hand over Fulham who are just one point clear of the Bluebirds .

Slavisa Jokanovic's men end the campaign with games against Brentford, Millwall, Sunderland and Birmingham City while the Bluebirds face Norwich City, Nottingham Forest, Derby County, Hull City and Reading between now and the end of the campaign.

And Warnock quipped that Chris Coleman's Sunderland - who are six points adrift of safety with just four games left to play - will probably be the side that dent Fulham's automatic promotion bid.

Speaking ahead of his side's trip to Carrow Road, Warnock said: "It'll probably be the Sunderland game they'll slip up in!

"You just don't know with four games to go. Every game's difficult you've just go to go into it and do the best you can.

"You look at the games and they're (Fulham) expected to win every game really.

"It's got to be us and if we can't then good luck to them 20 odd games unbeaten in this league is fantastic. They've got great players and a great squad and we're actually competing with them.

"They've gone 20 odd games unbeaten and it's neck and neck. It shows how far we've come really."

Warnock's men started their league campaign with five consecutive victories while they also secured eight wins on the bounce prior to their 1-1 draw with Sheffield United at Bramall Lane earlier this month.

And Warnock believes his side are more than capable of going on another winning streak in the remaining weeks of the campaign, although he admits Fulham deserve immense praise for their remarkable run of results.

"We're capable of doing it," said Warnock when asked if the Bluebirds can win all five of their last five league games.

"Whether we will I don't know. It's been our fault really as we've not won the games. We've played pretty well in the last two games. It's been a lesson for us and we've moved on and we're a good side. You don't get this far if you're not a good side.

"Everyone knows I'm after that eight promotion. Nothing's changed on that and even if it didn't happen I couldn't have asked for any more from the players and the fans, who've been incredible in the last few weeks and months."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-fulham-championship-promotion-14526250

WhiteJC

Fulham v Brentford preview: West London derby live on Sky Sports Football

Fulham will again be without Floyd Ayite when they aim to take another step towards promotion against local rivals Brentford.

The forward sustained a hamstring injury at Sheffield Wednesday last weekend and could also miss next Friday's test at in-form Millwall. Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic could name the same side that earned a 1-0 victory over Reading, although he does have options in the likes of Neeskens Kebano and Oliver Norwood.

The midweek win moved Fulham a point above Cardiff in their battle for automatic promotion.

Alan Judge could miss the short trip as he continues to struggle with a hamstring problem. The issue forced Judge to miss Tuesday's victory at Nottingham Forest and he did not train on Thursday.

Fellow midfielder Ryan Woods is available after completing his three-match ban while winger Florian Jozefzoon is back in training and could feature. Brentford are 10th in the Sky Bet Championship, four points adrift of the play-off places with four games remaining.

Opta stats

Fulham have only won one of their last 17 home matches against Brentford in all competitions (D9 L7), a 1-0 win in April 1990.

The Bees have won four of their last seven Championship meetings with Fulham (D2 L1).

The Cottagers have won 12 home league matches this season, their best tally in a season since 2005-06 when they won 13 in the Premier League.

Brentford have won their last three league matches, all 1-0 - only three of their previous 30 wins had been 1-0 before this run.

Fulham are now unbeaten in 20 league matches (W16 D4) - only three teams in second tier history have gone unbeaten for 20 or more matches during a season and not finished in the top two, most recently Brighton in 2015-16 (the others are Preston in 2005-06 and Blackburn in 1987-88).

The Bees haven't won four Championship matches in a row since October 2015 under Lee Carsley.

Prutton's prediction

What a job Fulham have done to get themselves above Cardiff and into the top two. It's 20 games unbeaten now for Slavisa Jokanovic's side and 16 of those have been wins. What a remarkable run it's been.

Brentford are a tough proposition for them, however. The Bees still have a shot at the play-offs and they turned Fulham over at Griffin Park in December. I think this will be close, but I fancy Fulham to just about edge it.

David Prutton predicts: 1-0 with Aleksandar Mitrovic to score (20/1 with Sky Bet)

http://www.skysports.com/football/fulham-vs-brentford/preview/375126

WhiteJC

Cardiff boss Neil Warnock tries to ramp up pressure on Fulham ahead of the promotion run-in

Cardiff and Fulham are near enough neck and neck in the race for promotion and he thinks that fact shows how far his side have come

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock has had his say on when he thinks Fulham will slip up in the promotion race, but has hailed the side's 20-game unbeaten run.

The two teams are neck and neck in the charge for the Premier League, with the Whites finally overtaking Cardiff on Tuesday night thanks to a 1-0 win over Reading, while the Bluebird lost by the same scoreline to Aston Villa.

It has been a fantastic battle between the pair, with Fulham going 20-games unbeaten, while a determined Cardiff have defied all the odds to go into the final few games of the season with promotion firmly in their sights.

And Warnock has tried to ramp up the pressure ahead of the last few games of the season, saying Fulham are expected to win every game left.

He said: "It'll probably be the Sunderland game they'll slip up in!

"You just don't know with four games to go. Every game's difficult you've just go to go into it and do the best you can.

"You look at the games and they're (Fulham) expected to win every game really.

"It's got to be us and if we can't then good luck to them, 20 odd games unbeaten in this league is fantastic. They've got great players and a great squad and we're actually competing with them.

"They've gone 20 odd games unbeaten and it's neck and neck. It shows how far we've come really."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-boss-neil-warnock-tries-14526562

WhiteJC

Brentford midfielder reveals what he expects from Fulham contest

The Bees, who have won their last three games by a goal to nil, are four points off the top six while the Whites are second having played a game more than Cardiff

Nico Yennaris is expecting a lively atmosphere at Fulham on Saturday as Brentford look to keep their play-off hopes alive.

The Bees, who have won their last three games by a goal to nil, are four points off the top six while the Whites are second having played a game more than Cardiff.

And that sets up an electric atmosphere at Craven Cottage with Dean Smith's side looking to complete a double over their rivals after a 3-1 win in December.

Yennaris said: "It (the win over Nottingham Forest) sets up Saturday for a nice atmosphere. It should be a great footballing game as it's two teams who want to play.

"We beat them earlier on this season and we can get another result against them."

Last year saw Brentford eschewed in mid-table with pride to play for and having something riding on it makes it more enjoyable.

Yennaris added: "It's all to play for. It makes Saturday's game even more exciting. They'll be at home and they'll have the crowd on their backs if it's not going their way.

"I think we've got to go there, express ourselves and play with the freedom. We'll have a great backing from our supporters. Hopefully it'll be a great game."

If the season were to finish as it is now, Brentford fans would be torn between viewing the campaign as a good season and a missed opportunity, given the points dropped in the opening months of the campaign.

But, after not winning in their first eight games, Yennaris is delighted to be in a position where the Bees can fight for something still.

He explained: "We still have something to play for and that's what we're fighting for and we'll keep going until the last game.

"We're not in the position we feel we deserve to be in. That's down to ourselves and we're the only one that can change it.

"Hopefully we get that luck now. Who knows what can happen, it's a funny league."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brentford-midfielder-reveals-what-expects-14527309

WhiteJC

Fulham v Brentford
SAT 14 Apr 2018   Championship
Venue: Craven Cottage

Serbia international Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored nine goals in his past 10 games for Fulham

Fulham forwards Floyd Ayite (hamstring) and Sheyi Ojo have been ruled out of the west London derby against Brentford at Craven Cottage.

The home side are on a 20-match unbeaten run in the Championship, which has lifted them from 12th to second in the table.

Bees midfielder Ryan Woods is available to return after a three-match ban.

Midfielder Alan Judge will be assessed but Florian Jozefzoon is fit to feature after missing the last two games.

Left-back Rico Henry is a long-term absentee, and is working his way back from a serious knee injury.

SAM's prediction
Home win 52%   Draw 25%   Away win 23%

SAM, the Sports Analytics Machine, is a super-computer built by @ProfIanMcHale of the University of Liverpool.

Match facts
    Fulham have only won one of their last 17 home matches against Brentford in all competitions (D9 L7), a 1-0 win in April 1990.
    The Bees have won four of their last seven Championship meetings with Fulham (D2 L1).
    The Cottagers have won 12 home league matches this season, their best tally in a season since 2005-06 when they won 13 in the Premier League.
    Brentford have won their last three league matches 1-0 - only three of their previous 30 wins had been 1-0 before this run.
    Fulham are now unbeaten in 20 league matches (W16 D4) - only three teams in second tier history have gone unbeaten for 20 or more matches during a season and not finished in the top two, most recently Brighton in 2015-16 (the others are Preston in 2005-06 and Blackburn in 1987-88).
    The Bees have not won four Championship matches in a row since October 2015 under caretaker boss Lee Carsley.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43677858

WhiteJC

Mitrovic Reborn
by Lydia on April 13, 2018

When Aleksander Mitrovic signed for Fulham on loan from Newcastle I had a cautious excitement about the deal. History has shown that the Serb has the sort of tenacious aggression that we had been missing in attack, but it also showed that the 23 year-old could be a hothead and a liability. By the age of 21 he had already amassed over 20 senior career yellow cards and 3 red cards. Interestingly, or perhaps just shockingly, each of his red cards in his senior career have been straight reds for stamps, head butts or similar. In his first season with Newcastle in 2015/16 his first four games included two yellow cards and then his first red in English football for a studs up challenge/stamp on Arsenal's Francis Coquelin. On the final day of that season, with Newcastle already relegated, Mitrovic got a straight red for a horror challenge on Tottenham's Kyle Walker. He is very fortunate that he didn't effectively end Walker's career, it was THAT bad. For the Coquelin challenge Mitrovic earned himself a three-game ban, for the Walker challenge it was a four-game ban that was carried on to their first four games back in the Championship for the 2016/17 season.

After then keeping his nose relatively clean for the 2016/17 season with Newcastle, Mitrovic started this season more like his old over aggressive self. He was handed a retrospective three game ban for violent conduct after an elbow on West Ham's Manuel Lanzini on the 26th August 2017. The referee missed the incident entirely but after it was caught on video, the FA charged him with violent conduct. It was that event that was most likely the final nail in the coffin of his Newcastle career. He had completely lost the trust of his manager and many of the Newcastle fans.

However, there was something that I have always liked about Mitrovic. He has an incredible desire to win and to score goals for his team. He has always been the sort of striker who needs to be loved, not just by his team mates but by his club's fans. He just didn't have this at Newcastle. In Fulham he has found a home and in Jokanovic he has found a mentor. In any interview that Mitrovic has done where Jokanovic has been mentioned, you can nearly feel the respect that he has for him. As a fellow Serb they have the relationship that has allowed Mitrovic to thrive. In a recent interview with Sky Sports, Mitrovic spoke about how Jokanovic has helped to focus him and has encouraged him to put his aggression into something positive, which is exactly what he has done. In 13 appearances for Fulham he has nine goals and one assist. Additionally, since he came to Fulham he has also scored twice for Serbia meaning that since February he has managed eleven goals in fourteen games. Jokanovic has helped transform him for club and country.

Mitrovic at Fulham is a man reborn. He hasn't lost his aggression, but he has focused it into his football in a positive way. We are without a doubt seeing the best of him and he has massively improved this Fulham side and become the piece of the attacking jigsaw that we have missed.

I'm thrilled that we have been able to witness someone come in and prove that he is worth it. His raw talent is being well matured thanks to Jokanovic and his own desire to do well. Fulham have a massive chance to get promoted this year and if we do, making Mitrovic's deal permanent should be the number one thing on the summer to-do list. The Serb has been a revelation, so long may the Fulham-Mitrovic love affair continue.

#COYW

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/04/mitrovic-reborn/

WhiteJC

Match Preview: Fulham

Everything you need to know ahead of Saturday's crucial West London derby

Brentford head to Craven Cottage on Saturday 14 April in the Sky Bet Championship with everything on the line.

The Bees are in search of a fourth win in four to keep chasing the Play-Off places, while The Whites are desperate to secure the second automatic promotion spot. It's all set to be a thriller on the banks of The Thames.

The Opposition
Fulham host Brentford tomorrow evening in front of the Sky Sports cameras with both sides hoping the other slips up. Should Fulham win, Brentford will need other results to go their way if they want to keep charging for the top six. Should The Bees come out on top, it's all to play for going into the final four games of the 2017/18 campaign.

A slow start to the season saw Fulham needing to clamber out of the bottom half of the table, much like their neighbours in TW8. A string of good results in the winter months, including a 5-4 win over Sheffield United and a 1-0 win against Millwall, dragged the side into the upper reaches of the league. Recruiting Newcastle United's Aleksandar Mitrović, as well as the form of both Tom Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon, has gone a long way to keeping them there.

On 2 November, goals from Sergi Canos, Ollie Watkins and Romaine Sawyers saw Brentford triumph 3-1 at Griffin Park in the reverse fixture. Denis Odoi saw red that day early in the second half, allowing The Bees to cruise to three points and leapfrog Fulham in the standings.

Fulham haven't lost in 20 league games, last overcome by a shock result at Sunderland in December. Their last three games have been wins, like their opponents tomorrow. Leeds United went down 2-0 on 3 April, before two successive 1-0 wins against Sheffield Wednesday and Reading.

Team News
Ryan Woods could return for Dean Smith's side following his three-match suspension after a red card against Sheffield United in March. Florian Jozefzoon missed the trip to Nottingham Forest with an ankle problem but is also looking likely to be involved.

Chiedozie Ogbene gave Smith something to think about during his debut against Forest on Tuesday, the youngster impressing after coming on as a second-half substitute.

Fulham have no injury concerns to worry themselves with, but do have three players only one booking away from a two-game suspension. That includes goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli and full-back Ryan Fredericks. If Jokanović opts to swap his stopper for the match, it could see former Brentford man David Button don the gloves as he did at Griffin Park in November.

The Manager
Slaviša Jokanović had a stellar playing career, winning 64 international caps for Yugoslavia and FR Yugoslavia and playing at the 1998 World Cup. He won the Spanish and Yugoslav titles and also had two seasons in the Premier League with Chelsea when he was in his 30s.

He moved into coaching and was soon appointed Head Coach at Fudbalski klub Partizan, in Belgrade, where he also spent three years as a player. He won two doubles before leaving in 2009 and has had a nomadic career since which has included working in Bulgaria, Spain and Thailand as well as England. He led Watford to promotion from the Sky Bet Championship in 2015 and nearly repeated the feat at Fulham last May.

https://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2018/april/match-preview-fulham/

WhiteJC

"Cardiff City will drop points against Reading" - Fulham manager's response to Neil Warnock's Sunderland quip

It comes after Warnock said the Cottagers would probably lose to Sunderland

Slavisa Jokanovic has joked that Cardiff City will lose their final home game of the season to strugglers Reading after Neil Warnock stated that Sunderland would probably be the side to end Fulham's outstanding run of form.

The Bluebirds go into their clash with Norwich City at Carrow Road knowing that they will climb back into second place if they secure all three points against Daniel Farke's men.

However, Fulham will remain in the Championship's automatic promotion places if they can clinch victory over London rivals Brentford at Craven Cottage in the evening game on Saturday, regardless of the result in Norfolk.

Ahead of the latest round of matches, Warnock jokingly stated that relegation threatened Sunderland pose the strongest threat to Fulham's automatic promotion bid .

And Jokanovic has responded by stating that the Bluebirds will slip up when they host Reading at Cardiff City Stadium on the final day of the 2017-18 campaign.

"They will drop points with Reading," joked the Fulham manager .

"This is a long competition, I don't know, all these teams are quality, Cardiff, all season they are in the position to be promoted, now we make one step forward but they are in control."

Jokanovic lavished praise on Warnock and admitted that he doesn't expect anyone to beat Cardiff between now and the end of the season.

But he went on to take the opportunity to lump the pressure on the Bluebirds by stating that they are "100% favourites" to beat Norwich City on Saturday afternoon.

"After the Brentford game is over, we will prepare for Millwall," added Jokanovic.

"We are in great momentum, if we perform well we can expect good result.

"They are a tough opponent, they try to play in a similar style, they won last three games and had three clean sheets.

"Everything is possible, we cannot think about Sunderland, we must push. Warnock is a great man, I don't see any opponent that can win against Cardiff too.

"They are strong, they are physically impressive. It's not easy to play against them, they are 100% favourites for tomorrow when they play Norwich.

"Surprises exist in this championship, but I don't think they'll be surprised tomorrow."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-fulham-championship-sunderland-14527673

WhiteJC

Cardiff are feeling the heat as Championship promotion race reaches its climax, says Fulham star Ryan Fredericks

The Cottagers have overhauled an 18-point gap to reel in the Bluebirds, and climbed above the Welsh side on Tuesday

Ryan Fredericks says Fulham are eyeing automatic promotion this season (Image: Getty Images Europe)

Ryan Fredericks believes Cardiff are buckling under the pressure as the Championship promotion race hots up.

Fulham have overhauled an 18-point gap to reel in the Bluebirds, and climbed above the Welsh side into second place after Tuesday's victory over Reading.

Neil Warnock's men have failed to win in their last three outings, but have a game in hand on Slavisa Jokanovic's side.

However, Cottagers full-back Fredericks believes their rivals are feeling the heat.

He said: "We've made Cardiff open their eyes and play with a bit of pressure.

"We're on the best run in the league, we go out to each game and we're fighting for every ball, every challenge we're getting stuck into, wanting to win it, and it's proven to be good in the end.

Fredericks believes Cardiff are feeling the pressure in the race for promotion (Image: Getty Images Europe)

Slavisa Jokanovic's men are unbeaten in their last 20 matches (Image: PA)

"At the same time we are taking each game as it comes. We know how hard the play-offs are and are doing everything in our power to go straight up.

"Cardiff are a good team as well. They're not going to throw it away, it's still in their hands. We have just got to make sure we do everything in our power to win the next four games."

Fulham will look to tighten their grip on the second automatic promotion spot when they take on west London rivals Brentford on Saturday afternoon.

Fulham have overhauled an 18-point gap to reel in the Bluebirds (Image: Action Plus)

Neil Warnock's Cardiff have failed to win in their last three outings (Image: Getty Images Europe)

Victory would see Jokanovic's men put down a real promotion marker and potentially move four points clear of Cardiff, who take on Norwich at Carrow Road.

While defeat for Dean Smith's men would be a hammer-blow to their play-off hopes, as they look to close the four-point gap on Millwall in sixth.

Defeat at Craven Cottage would be a hammer blow to the Bees' play-off hopes, and Fredericks believes it's their neighbours who have it all on the line.He added: "They have got more to be worried about. For us, it's just as important as the last 20 games that we've not lost in."

* Ryan Fredericks was speaking on behalf of Grosvenor Casinos, main team partner of Fulham FC, for the Grosvenor Poker Cup. Watch the highlights here.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/cardiff-feeling-heat-championship-promotion-12351705

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic 'expects good result' against Brentford

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic refuses to set his sights beyond the next game, in which he expects his side to deliver against West London rivals Brentford.

Jokanovic has overseen Fulham's 20-game unbeaten run, which he believes stands his side in good stead for their match against the Bees on Saturday evening, live on Sky Sports.

"We have great momentum," Jokanovic said. "I trust we'll perform well and if we do that, I expect we'll have a good result.

"If we are focused enough we are 100 per cent capable of showing ambition and being successful. The players trust each other and trust they can win the games - trust is necessary for us to perform well."

He does recognise the challenge represented by tomorrow's derby at Craven Cottage, acknowledging it would necessarily be "different". Brentford ran out 3-1 winners in the reverse fixture at Griffin Park.

"They are a tough opponent. They try to play in a similar style; they won their last three games and kept three clean sheets.

"We both want to have possession, dominate and attack. It can be one of the best games of the season."

Despite their strong run of recent form, which has left Fulham second in the Championship, Jokanovic refused to speculate on his side's chances of achieving automatic promotion at the end of this season - his sights instead focused squarely on the task immediately at hand.

"We don't need to think about second place or about promotion, we must be thinking about the next chance in front of us," he insisted. "My target is only Brentford, I am not looking so far behind or ahead.

"We decided a long time ago to go step-by-step and it's positive. It's not necessary to think about where we are right now.

"We can't celebrate if we win the game. We must push forward.

"After this chance tomorrow, we will think about next steps and that's it. My ambition is always to win the next game - with this desire we can be successful.

"We'll do our job and we'll see where we finish."

There is little margin for error, he suggests, with Cardiff City - Fulham's main competition for second place - breathing down their necks.

"I don't see any opponent that can win against Cardiff," he admitted. "They are strong, they are physically impressive. It's not easy to play against them.

"They are 100 per cent favourites for tomorrow when they play Norwich. Surprises exist in this championship, but I don't think they'll be surprised tomorrow."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11328781/fulham-manager-slavisa-jokanovic-8216expects-good-result8217-against-brentford

WhiteJC

HOT OR NOT: Slavisa Jokanovic has Fulham flying towards the Premier League but Israel Folau should have been punished for homophobic slurs

Slavisa Jokanovic has helped in-form Fulham win 19 of their last 27 matches
    Peter Drury's commentary of Roma's last goal against Barcelona is worth a listen
    Australia star Israel Folau has not been punished for homophobic comments
    Referee Antonio Mateu Lahoz got a big decision wrong at the Etihad on Tuesday

It's Hot or Not time again as Sportsmail's Ian Ladyman reveals what's been making him feel warm and what's been leaving him cold this week.

HOT

SLAVISA JOKANOVIC

Four wins from his first 15 games in the Championship put Fulham manager Jokanovic under pressure, but following the removal of controversial stats wizard Craig Klein on October 31 results turned round.

Nineteen victories from 27 matches since that day have placed Fulham in the promotion picture which suggests that sometimes it is best to leave the football to the football people.

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has led his side to 19 wins from their last 27 league games

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-5612827/Slavisa-Jokanovic-Fulham-flying-Premier-League.html#ixzz5CcyiqCgj
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Head Coach press conference

Slaviša Jokanović has put second place to the back of his mind and is focusing solely on Brentford.

The Whites moved into the automatic promotion places on Tuesday, but the Fulham Head Coach knows a lot can happen in four matches.

"I'm not thinking about where we are right now," he insisted. "We decided a long time ago that we'd go step by step, game by game.

"We're in a positive way and right now we don't need to think about second position or promotion.

"The only thing we must think about in this moment is the next chance that's immediately ahead of us, the next chance for us to perform well and fight for three points. We'll find this chance tomorrow afternoon.

"I don't believe it's necessary for my side to think so much about where we are right now, because nobody can guarantee you'll stay where you are.

"My target in this moment is only the Brentford game. I expect we can be successful tomorrow, we have great momentum, we trust we can perform well, and if we perform well we can expect a good result."

The Bees still harbour hopes of a top-six finish, and currently find themselves four points off the pace – something that Jokanović believes means they need to leave Craven Cottage with a victory on Saturday evening.

"It's a tough opponent," he admitted. "They try and play in a similar style to us. They won their last three games and kept three clean sheets.

"Brentford is a very good team. They are fighting for the Play-Offs, tomorrow is probably one of their last chances to catch this opportunity to get into the Play-Offs.

"We know we need the points, and Brentford need the points too. This is clear. This is one of the last chances for them to catch the Play-Off positions. We are going to have some chances after this game.

"This is part of the sport, we are under some kind of the pressure, they are under some kind of pressure. This is a normal situation and we must manage ourselves, like they are going to manage themselves.

"One point is not enough for them, with one point they can't win anything. We're playing at home, we need the points too, and we're going to see who can play better football and win the game."

Fulham are currently on a 20-match unbeaten run, and Jokanović puts that down to the unity in his squad.

"They trust each other, and they trust they can win the game," he explained. "This is very good news.

"If there's trust then this is the best way for us to perform well and try and find the way for three points. This news is very important for us and definitely encourages myself and my staff, and my team too.

"The last 12 [home] games we won 11 and drew one. We feel we are strong at home, we mark our territory, this is our home and we are going to try and be strong, dominate the situation, put them under stress and win the game."

The Whites are currently a point ahead of Cardiff City in the league standings, but Jokanović believes the Bluebirds are effectively in second position, courtesy of their game in hand.

"Cardiff is in front of us because they have played one game less, and everything is in their hands," he stated. "If they win all their games, we can do everything but it wouldn't be enough.

"We expect Cardiff to keep pushing. They have the opportunity to fight for 15 points, we are fighting only for 12. They had an impressive winning run where they won eight games, and they can do everything."

When asked if Neil Warnock is trying to unsettle him with his comments to the press, Jokanović replied: "No, he is a great man.

"I don't see any opponent that can win against Cardiff. They are strong, they are physically impressive, and it's not easy to play against them.

"They are 100 per cent favourites for tomorrow when they play against Norwich. Surprises exist in the Championship, but I don't believe they are going to be surprised tomorrow.

"Cardiff have spent all season in position to be a promoted team. We took one step forward in this moment but the situation is in Cardiff's control."

Tickets are still available for the Brentford game, starting from £15 juniors and £35 adults. Fans can buy online, by telephone on 0203 871 0810 (opt 2) or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/april/13/head-coach-press conference

WhiteJC

Confirmed: Door left open over stunning return of Newcastle outcast

Newcastle United outcast and current Fulham loanee Aleksandar Mitrovic has left the door open over a stunning return to the Magpies after finding himself surplus to requirements during the January transfer window.

The Serbian powerhouse fell down the pecking order in terms of strikers during the first half of the campaign at St James' Park and after managing just seven appearances and two goals across all competitions, he was shipped out to Craven Cottage where he has rediscovered his form quickly.

The 23-year-old has already netted nine goals in 13 outings for the Championship high flyers, playing a crucial role in their push for promotion back to the Premier League, but despite his struggles on Tyneside has left the door open over making what would be a surprise return back to the first team.

Newcastle United outcast and current Fulham loanee Aleksandar Mitrovic has left the door open over a stunning return to the Magpies after finding himself surplus to requirements during the January transfer window.

The Serbian powerhouse fell down the pecking order in terms of strikers during the first half of the campaign at St James' Park and after managing just seven appearances and two goals across all competitions, he was shipped out to Craven Cottage where he has rediscovered his form quickly.

The 23-year-old has already netted nine goals in 13 outings for the Championship high flyers, playing a crucial role in their push for promotion back to the Premier League, but despite his struggles on Tyneside has left the door open over making what would be a surprise return back to the first team.

Mitrovic has a total of 72 appearances for the Magpies under his belt, having notched up just 17 goals in his outings.

Football Insider verdict

The powerful Serbian has certainly landed on his feet after heading to Craven Cottage and the sort of form he is showing for both club and country mean that Newcastle will be having second thoughts about letting him leave. If he can come back to Tyneside and show that he has grown up from the angry young forward he was before, then there is every chance of him carving out a future at the club, something the fans would love to see. Still, a big money offer could convince the Magpies to sell up, and if that money is reinvested wisely, then it could be best for all parties. It is a tough situation and one which will have Rafael Benitez scratching his head over. Watch this space.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/confirmed-door-left-open-over-stunning-return-of-newcastle-outcast/

WhiteJC

Career of Newcastle favourite as good as dead as latest comments sound death knell

The Newcastle United career of Serbian striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has been a dramatic one, and his time on Tyneside have left fans divided into two main camps.

One one hand, you have the members of the Toon Army who applaud the 23-year-old for his passion and enthusiasm on the pitch, willing to let his dedication to the cause mask his apparent struggles in front of goal and hoping that he can still forge a career on Tyneside.

On the other, you have the supporters who see Mitrovic as a striker who simply is not good enough for the Magpies, and that his 17 goals in 72 appearances is a record not befitting a Premier League centre forward, no matter his impassioned displays – although either way, he will always be considered a cult favourite.

As for manager Rafael Benitez, he would likely fall into the latter category, unimpressed by his performances in front of goal and lacking the trust required in his striker after a series of misdemeanours, which included a three match ban for violent conduct earlier this season.

Some would say that the Serbian's mightily impressive form for Fulham, where he headed on loan in January, would be enough to have the Spaniard scratching his head over a potential future on Tyneside.

However, Mitrovic's own comments seem to have put any hopes of that to bed, and he appears to have sounded his own death knell.

Speaking to Sky Sports, he talked about how he needed to feel confidence from the manager in order to perform at his best – and considering Benitez's lack of confidence, it does not look good.

He said: "Faith, trust and game-time – that's important if you are a striker.

"If you really feel trust from the manager, it's much easier to play. That's what I feel now (at Fulham). I know that he (Slavisa Jokanovic) believes in me and I know what he wants from me."

The Serb's fellow countryman might well trust the powerhouse forward, but Benitez simply does not, and if that is what he needs from a manager, then he needs to start looking for an exit strategy for his time at Newcastle is as good as dead.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/career-of-newcastle-favourite-as-good-as-over-as-latest-comments-sound-death-knell/

WhiteJC

Opposition View: Fulham

With Ryan O'Donovan of Get West London

2018 has undoubtedly been Fulham's year as they recently made it 20 games unbeaten, leapfrogging Cardiff City into second place in the process. Can you sum up the last few months?

It's been a bit of a rollercoaster after starting the season the way they did. The last time the two sides met, Fulham lost and you didn't really have any inkling that the next six months was going to happen. It's been four months of stunning football and they are finally becoming the Fulham everyone thought they would be last season, going into the start of this season. Everything seems to have clicked and Slavisa Jokanovic's side are playing really good football; it's entertaining, you get the sense every game will have goals in it and those signings in January have really added steel and grit – they've been the missing pieces, really. If you wanted to sum it up, I suppose you'd have to say it's been sensational.

Early signs pointed to a season of mid-table mediocrity for The Whites - what was the turning point?

The main thing that fans have been pointing to is the January signings, and you can't look past them. At the same time, the fitness levels they have now is what they needed at the start. I don't think pre-season was too good and the way Fulham play football - they like to dominate the ball and hound the opponents with possession and pressing - I don't think they were fit enough to do that in the first part of the season. Everything has clicked and their fitness levels are where they should be. Then, obviously, you have to look at the signings: Mitrovic is the striker they've been crying out for the last couple of seasons, he's scored nine goals now which just shows his influence. Targett is Premier League quality and adds comfort to the left, but also allows Ryan Sessegnon to get further forward as well and to be let loose on opposing teams.

I imagine it'll be difficult to choose, but who has been the best player over the last few months?

Centre-backs aren't always going to get the headlines, but I think it's been Tim Ream – he's been absolutely outstanding this year. Fulham haven't been good defensively since they dropped down to the Championship, but over the last six months they've finally managed to add those clean sheets and grit and steel in defence. Ream is in the form of his life at the moment – I do the player ratings after the games and I've run out of ways to describe how he's playing because he's a solid eight out of ten every game. He's probably been my player of the season.

It's been a privilege to watch Ryan Sessegnon, though. You know he's going to become an absolutely quality player and when he's playing in the Premier League and Champions League you'll be able to say 'I saw him at the start of his career'. It's been great to witness his progression – to have 14 goals at 17-years-old from the left side of the pitch is just outstanding. Towards the end of last season he didn't look like a 16-year-old lad playing in a men's team and he's just gone over and above this season and looks like he's been playing men's football for the last 10 years. It's been a pleasure to see him develop into the player he is today and I'm sure there is so much more to come.

What is your highlight of the season so far?

I think the 20 games unbeaten has been a huge highlight, but personally it was the 5-4 win at Sheffield United in November. I'd never seen a game that crazy before and it was the game that kick-started the run, really. The fact that two players scored a hat-trick and it ended with nine goals was absolutely crazy. Games like that come around once in a blue moon.

How are Fulham likely to set up at Craven Cottage on Saturday evening?

It'll be 4-3-3 and I reckon it'll be the same back five that have played the last few games. It'll be Bettinelli in goal, Targett left-back, Ream, Odoi and Fredericks across the backline and the midfield won't change at all – it'll be Cairney, Johansen, McDonald and that's their staple, what gives Fulham the ability to play football in the way they do. Cairney has come back from injury and has been absolutely outstanding, so much so that he's on the Player of the Year award list despite having missed so much of the season. Mitrovic will be leading the line, Sessegnon will be out on the left and who plays on the right will be anyone's guess. He likes playing Piazon at home and Ayite is out injured so it'll either be Piazon or Kebano, I think.

What's your score prediction for the game?

I think I sat on the fence last time out, but this time I'm going to have to go for a 2-1 Fulham win just on the basis of the form they are on.

https://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2018/april/opposition-view-fulham/

WhiteJC

Brentford striker heading to Fulham full of confidence

Victory for Dean Smith's side would see them right in the mix for the top six with their play-off rivals all facing each other, while defeat would see their hopes end for this season

Neal Maupay will be heading to Fulham full of confidence but the Brentford striker knows that victory is the only option at Craven Cottage.

Victory for Dean Smith's side would see them right in the mix for the top six with their play-off rivals all facing each other, while defeat would see their hopes end for this season.

The Bees have won their last three games by a goal to nil and confidence is high at Griffin Park ahead of the crunch fixture.

"We are full of confidence at the moment. We are in a good way. If we want to make the play-offs we have to win the next game," Maupay said.

"I think we have to go one game at a time. When we are on the pitch we fight to the end to get the win. If we don't win, it's probably finished for the play-offs so we have to go hard to get the win."

Maupay will be looking to add to his tally of 12 goals for the season by adding another in west London derbies to go with his strike at QPR in the League Cup.

He added: "I'm pleased with my goals and with my confidence at the moment. I think I can do more for the team.

"I'm always thinking I can improve. I'm confident and hope a few more goals are coming."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brentford-striker-heading-fulham-full-14529398