Author Topic: Referee  (Read 1765 times)

Offline toshes mate

• MAESTRO
Re: Referee
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2018, 03:21:27 PM »
I am not going to blame the referee for anything because the crucial decisions he made did not, in my opinion, change the course of the game against us, even the added time.  Brentford had been threatening to score for most of the game and I thought Mitrovic's brilliant strike from Johansen's deft pass would propel us to better things by opening the game up.  Instead, after a slightly better period, we started to get rattled, we failed to control the game, and Brentford scored.  The referee was about average as referees go these days.     

Offline alfie

• cebu
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2018, 04:19:50 PM »
The ref and his assistants were rubbish, so many wrong decisions, wrong about throw ins, corners and of course the dead cert penalty that Brentford should have had and the offside which wasn't! Some complain about the officials when we lose (can't remember the last time though), please don't complain about today, we were very fortunate!
Get qualified and do the job yourself, it is so easy when you don’t have to do it.

Online Statto

• cebu
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 04:24:35 PM »
The ref and his assistants were rubbish, so many wrong decisions, wrong about throw ins, corners and of course the dead cert penalty that Brentford should have had and the offside which wasn't! Some complain about the officials when we lose (can't remember the last time though), please don't complain about today, we were very fortunate!
Get qualified and do the job yourself, it is so easy when you don’t have to do it.

doctors, lawyers, policemen, teachers, local councilors, health and safety officers, among many many many others are often sacked and/or shamed for the lowest levels of negligence. Why do referees get a pass?

Offline davew

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 06:45:57 PM »

Too old now m8 but at least my eyesight still appears better than the officials yesterday!

Offline alfie

• cebu
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2018, 08:02:11 PM »

Too old now m8 but at least my eyesight still appears better than the officials yesterday!
I understand the issues with refs but we get a completely different view of the game from the stands, many occasions we see things the ref doesn’t or can’t see, he is a pitch level, and yes me included we often wonder why something was missed or indeed given, it is certainly not a job I would do.

Offline davew

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 08:40:08 PM »
Agreed Alfie and as I am now only an armchair supporter with the benefits of TV technology, pause, replay etc., it is easy for me to comment. Everything happens so much quicker these days, not sure if I was still able to attend games I would even see the goals! If we make the play off final, I will definitely be trying to use my past family connection to get a ticket, it worked in 1975!!

Offline Andy S

• MAESTRO
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2018, 10:14:40 PM »
That's the problem.everyone thinks they can referee. You can only eve hope to get most of the decisions right. I thought the referees decision making yesterday was acceptable. He was even handed and kept the game moving we all accept that it was a good game yesterday the referee was a big part of that

Offline davew

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2018, 10:23:56 PM »
That's the problem.everyone thinks they can referee. You can only eve hope to get most of the decisions right. I thought the referees decision making yesterday was acceptable. He was even handed and kept the game moving we all accept that it was a good game yesterday the referee was a big part of that
I have no problem with the result yesterday, in fact a draw was a bonus thanks to the officials so no sour grapes with me! I really don't think that because we give opinions about wrong decisions by officials doesn't mean we thank we can referee a match better, not at all, they operate in real time while we have the benefit of post match analysis technology. Yes it was a good game yesterday!!

Offline Lighthouse

• Moritz Volz
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2018, 11:20:50 PM »
Not sure the point was the referee made us lose or his decisions cost us more. What was being stated was he made some decisions that made little or no sense. Even if you happened to be on the pitch, in the ground, on the toilet, in the bath. or even eating an eel pie. The point was he wasn't very good and in my view seemed to enjoy the fact he was on the telly.

Online Statto

• cebu
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 12:01:01 AM »
Not sure the point was the referee made us lose or his decisions cost us more. What was being stated was he made some decisions that made little or no sense. Even if you happened to be on the pitch, in the ground, on the toilet, in the bath. or even eating an eel pie. The point was he wasn't very good and in my view seemed to enjoy the fact he was on the telly.

Exactly

It is not a mitigating factor that he made some terrible decisions in our favour

Offline Stevieboy

• Lakey/Dark Room
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2018, 07:04:19 PM »
Their goal could have been given as offside, wonder whether the officials ‘switch off’ as the final seconds tick by!!

Offline KJS

• tjl
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2018, 08:37:31 PM »
Lucky he was crap because Brentford should of had a penalty

And their player was offside for the equaliser

Offline KJS

• tjl
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2018, 08:40:41 PM »
I actually believe that the EFL should stop using Premier League Refs to officiate in the championship as they always to a man have a bad game as the matches are completely different to what they are used to reffing!

Offline Milo

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2018, 09:01:45 PM »
Dave you need to stick up for yourself, old chap!

Statto made a good point on another thread and then again on here.

We definitely should be able to criticise referees when there are multiple errors being made in the game when they are professional and paid to do this for a living. All jobs are in a sense people being paid to take responsibility. To assess risk and to manage risk. The standard of referees in the Premiership is substantially better than in the Championship and this needs to be addressed.

Offline KJS

• tjl
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2018, 09:04:04 PM »

We definitely should be able to criticise referees when there are multiple errors being made in the game when they are professional and paid to do this for a living. All jobs are in a sense people being paid to take responsibility. To assess risk and to manage risk. The standard of referees in the Premiership is substantially better than in the Championship and this needs to be addressed.

If that is the case then how come a Premier League referee was so appalling on Saturday at the cottage??

Offline Milo

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2018, 09:59:41 PM »

If that is the case then how come a Premier League referee was so appalling on Saturday at the cottage??

Agreed but judging the entire standard of premiership referees based on one performance is unjust.

Did you get chance to see the Wolves v Cardiff game for instance? Mike Dean was excellent.

It's the overall standard of referring across the season that counts. How many times have we lamented the officiating on this forum? They do not happen to nearly the same extent in the Premiership.

I think a point that was made above was interesting actually. That while Prem referees are the best, they do not necessarily maintain that in the Championship when they are in charge for the odd game here and there because there are differences in playing styles and demands in this league. The finer points escape me as I'm not a referee of course but it stands to reason that that's the case.

The solution in the long term therefore is not to bring Prem referees down to the Championship, as they're a finite resource anyway, but to invest more money in training Championship referees to a higher standard and paying them more under professional contracts.

In the short term, I support the Prem refs dropping down to manage the big games. E.g. Upcoming playoffs.

Offline Woolly Mammoth

• Moritz Volz
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2018, 04:33:05 PM »

Was the coin they tossed up with Double Headed ?

Offline Andy S

• MAESTRO
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2018, 04:58:10 PM »
Ex players rarely become referees. The reason is they know what stick a referee gets and what a horrible job it is. It is not easy and the camera's are out to trip you up. That is why the standards are as they are. They could be improved by having proper schools for referees instead of learning it on a Sunday morning refereeing kids before moving up refereeing adults. It is a long route to refereeing pro's

Offline HatterDon

• Moritz Volz
  • just like that
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2018, 04:49:22 AM »
as pointed out, if the referee had been better, we'd have lost 2-1.

It continues to be amazing to me that every weekend since I've been following Fulham -- some 13 or so years now -- we always draw the very worst referee possible.