watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

This is bold but I blame SJ

Started by bobbo, April 14, 2018, 10:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbo

We were winning 1-0 and completely had all the play and impetus when Slav takes off our strike force and replaces with defensive type players hoping to keep them out by it.

Well it absolutely didn't work.They were struggling for possession after we scored, because we were totally in the acendencey .

I'm a massive fan of slavisa but I really think he got the late substitutions so wrong, and it was proved to be so.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

grandad

I agree with SJ replacing Piazon with Kebano & we certainly looked better with his energy. I can also agree with Norwood coming on with a fresh pair of legs in midfield. However, bringing on Christie for Kebano made no sense to me. Brentford´s goal came about with a lack of understanding between Fredericks & Christie. Both were out of position as they didn´t seem to know where they were supposed to be.
Fredericks had run his socks off & Christie should have been a straight swap.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

HV71

Stew was out on his feet - he was completely spent ( Slav did the right thing and brought on Norwood ) I was delighted to see Kebano replace Piazon but the guy did look completely gone when he came off. Christie looked to me like a good substitution - he is quick , strong and also good in the air. It just didn't work out - he should have taken the ball into the corner but elected to attack the goal. I'm not going to hang him out to dry for trying to be positive
Subs looked like the right decision at the time

In Joka I trust

Robbie

To be fair to Christie he has had no game time and looks unfit.
Slav needs to work the subs extra hard over the next few weeks .... bring them up to match-like fitness.

Luka

Kebano looked good the whole time he was on. He was defending from the front perfectly and unless he was injured then taking him off was reckless and the reason we dropped the points.

Andy S

I think the substitutions caused us to concede the goal however it might have come without them as well. In the end iT is the players fault. But the players got us here in the first place

Riversider

Quote from: Luka on April 14, 2018, 10:22:37 PM
Kebano looked good the whole time he was on. He was defending from the front perfectly and unless he was injured then taking him off was reckless and the reason we dropped the points.

+10000000000
👏👏👏👏👏

andyk

I wouldn't get too worked up about the last minute equaliser. If we don't make automatic promotion, it won't be down to that goal. 53 points from the last 21 games, that's incredible form . It was the 29 points from the first 22 games that has done for us.

Lighthouse

The decision to take Kabano off felt a mistake at the time. It proved to be and was the reason we conceded late. But after 21 games unbeaten I am not blaming the squad for looking tired or the Coach. But that one sub remains a mystery to me unless Neeskens was knackered because of flu type virus or something.

What we do have to be careful of is not entering the play offs with a tired side. Time for changes or do we gamble and keep a tired side together. My feeling is we bring in a few changes. We have a squad so lets use it from the beginning. But subbing a sub felt a mistake at the time.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Riversider

Quote from: Lighthouse on April 14, 2018, 10:58:12 PM
The decision to take Kabano off felt a mistake at the time. It proved to be and was the reason we conceded late. But after 21 games unbeaten I am not blaming the squad for looking tired or the Coach. But that one sub remains a mystery to me unless Neeskens was knackered because of flu type virus or something.

What we do have to be careful of is not entering the play offs with a tired side. Time for changes or do we gamble and keep a tired side together. My feeling is we bring in a few changes. We have a squad so lets use it from the beginning. But subbing a sub felt a mistake at the time.

It was a terrible decision by Jokanovic,  he's obviously got a problem with Kebano judging by how many times he's been used this season, and today certainly won't help the relationship.

davew

We are in the driving seat, let's anticipate who will finish where and arrange our results so we face the team we think we are most likely to beat in the first of the play offs! I mentioned these tactics before and with only 3 games left why wouldn't we?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Matt10

I think it's very easy to blame SJ, but I think it's incorrect. Christie brought on to be an outlet but also a defensive presence. He's got the size and pace, so both options were in favor. He has also proven to be a great passer, including setting up Mitro in the past. We could have had another goal or two if we had done better in our counters, but we didn't. We didn't kill the game off, and came back to bite us. We sat too deep for too long, and it cost us. I agree with Statto in saying that we held them off for a good amount of time - but we just got out of our gameplan of defending a high line, and we paid the price. Slav was asking for us to push up, but the pressure got to us - and the rest is in the books.

Twig

Many of you are blaming SJ for pulling Kebano. But from where we were sitting it seemed very likely that Kebano had taken a bad knock.  If it was a tactical switch then it was wtong but if it was enforced then it is more understandable.

Riversider

Quote from: Matt10 on April 14, 2018, 11:08:28 PM
I think it's very easy to blame SJ, but I think it's incorrect. Christie brought on to be an outlet but also a defensive presence. He's got the size and pace, so both options were in favor. He has also proven to be a great passer, including setting up Mitro in the past. We could have had another goal or two if we had done better in our counters, but we didn't. We didn't kill the game off, and came back to bite us. We sat too deep for too long, and it cost us. I agree with Statto in saying that we held them off for a good amount of time - but we just got out of our gameplan of defending a high line, and we paid the price. Slav was asking for us to push up, but the pressure got to us - and the rest is in the books.

You contradict yourself there a couple of times !
You are saying that you agree with Kebano being taken off then say that Jokanovic was asking us to push up, so why then take Kebano off ?
You say we could have done better on the counter but surely that's a strength of Kebano, so again why take him off ?
Not trying to have a dig at you, I just don't understand the treatment of Neeskens today.

Matt10

Quote from: Riversider on April 14, 2018, 11:19:39 PM
Quote from: Matt10 on April 14, 2018, 11:08:28 PM

You contradict yourself there a couple of times !
You are saying that you agree with Kebano being taken off then say that Jokanovic was asking us to push up, so why then take Kebano off ?
You say we could have done better on the counter but surely that's a strength of Kebano, so again why take him off ?
Not trying to have a dig at you, I just don't understand the treatment of Neeskens today.

I'm not against Neeskens in any way, I'm just explaining why I believe the decision is not as impactful as people are making it out to be. I think Neeskens played well, and missed a couple opportunities - but who didn't?

What I'm saying is that the substitution made sense from a personnel standpoint because Christie has proven he can get up in the attack, can send a good ball in, has pace, and also by nature has great defending capabilities. He ticks all the same boxes, and adds another one with defensive capabilities - not to mention broader frame. The goal wasn't his fault at all, the only thing I would put on him is that when he got up the pitch in the 4 v 3 scenario he take it to the corner flag, instead we had players tripping over one-another and he couldn't find the right pass. Neeskens had the same issues as well.

davew

Christie has not had any real playing time, so how can any opinions be formed of what he can or cannot do in our team Matt10? If we had players the right hand side to match the guys we have on the left, well if only!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Matt10

Quote from: davew on April 14, 2018, 11:33:54 PM
Christie has not had any real playing time, so how can any opinions be formed of what he can or cannot do in our team Matt10? If we had players the right hand side to match the guys we have on the left, well if only!!

Really, Dave? 116 minutes and he hasn't any real playing time? 97% passing rate, with an assist (and another technically). We were all rating him a month or so ago, weren't we? How soon we forget. Is this how it is, just blame whoever replaces someone we prefer? It's like those who were blaming Fonte for the pass to Odoi against QPR.

I'm not sticking up, I'm provided facts and validating the choices our coach made. As always, anyone who wears the Fulham shirt gets equal amount of evaluation on their performance on the pitch.

HV71

It's like those who were blaming Fonte for the pass to Odoi against QPR.

Err . Given his track record and love of our Portuguese player .....that probably was Davew aka Groundhog Day

The Rock

Great post. Questionable tactics. It was all fine until the 94th minute, and it wasn't time to tinker.

It is law of averages though. So many teams waste good chances. We should have drawn with Wednesday, but they blew it. We've been fortunate because other teams aren't clinical enough.

We were average today I thought, but I was surprised, Brentford has a tidy little outfit.