watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Don't blame the referee.

Started by The Swan, April 15, 2018, 10:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

Don't blame the referee for the added time to the extra four minutes announce stated.

When Johansen was subbed he took an age to walk across the pitch. The ref looked at his watch as Johansen took a long time to leave the pitch.
I am sure that the ref would have added at least one minute on.
The Swan

davew

Confused, are you suggesting that some people questioned the four minutes added time? I think there was nearly 5 1/2 played in the end, have to watch the replay again. Everybody is disappointed by the result, but as most people have said a draw was a fair result!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

alfie

Quote from: davew on April 15, 2018, 10:27:12 PM
Confused, are you suggesting that some people questioned the four minutes added time? I think there was nearly 5 1/2 played in the end, have to watch the replay again. Everybody is disappointed by the result, but as most people have said a draw was a fair result!!
A few games back I was next to a chap who was ranting on about playing more than the 2mins added time, I tried to explain that there is a word used before the time "minimum" and if there is more time wasting or injury more time would be added, he was not having any of it and just carried on mouthing off.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Peabody

I am not blaming the ref, but he was/is a Premiership Referee and you have to admit he did make some strange decisions, got both sides.

Andy S

Statto I suggest you try refereeing. It has never been an exact art and the pressure those guys are under is terrible. They are judged each week by the tv companies with their high tech equipment. You should try it on a Sunday Morning in the park. A ref I know always takes his wife and German Shepherd dog with him. May be after a couple of weeks you would not be as critical. The referees job is to obviously get most decisions right but to keep the game going. They will never be right every time. Why would we expect them to be? Some fouls are a bit of both anyway

toshes mate

Referees at the lowest levels of football get paid a pittance (£30?) and put up with abuse and physical violence from players and little to no protection from football authorities.  That is a scandal not least for the knock on it has to higher grades of football.  So what should we expect from the average EFL referee who has grafted their way through the pyramid?  One would hope, at the very least, a thorough understanding of the rules of the game, one hundred percent concentration and application, and total neutrality.  Do referees live up to our expectations and, if so, how often?  I'd argue that they do not live up to expectations and rarely get above the 'adequate' level and the reasons why are to be found in how pyramid structures often work these days (what gets you to the top, in other words).   

My main beef would be consistency which means not favouring one side more than the other when making 'bad' decisions......

Fulhamfan666

Not blame the ref? The guy was sooo bad. Why in the flip did he blow his whistle before the last corner??? So many mistakes throughout the scumbag. Secretly a bee fan.

davew

Quote from: toshes mate on April 16, 2018, 02:43:34 PM
Referees at the lowest levels of football get paid a pittance (£30?) and put up with abuse and physical violence from players and little to no protection from football authorities.  That is a scandal not least for the knock on it has to higher grades of football.  So what should we expect from the average EFL referee who has grafted their way through the pyramid?  One would hope, at the very least, a thorough understanding of the rules of the game, one hundred percent concentration and application, and total neutrality.  Do referees live up to our expectations and, if so, how often?  I'd argue that they do not live up to expectations and rarely get above the 'adequate' level and the reasons why are to be found in how pyramid structures often work these days (what gets you to the top, in other words).   

My main beef would be consistency which means not favouring one side more than the other when making 'bad' decisions......

I agree, how much do they get paid to use their additional time to read the fans forums?

davew

Quote from: Fulhamfan666 on April 16, 2018, 10:28:02 PM
Not blame the ref? The guy was sooo bad. Why in the flip did he blow his whistle before the last corner??? So many mistakes throughout the scumbag. Secretly a bee fan.
You must be joking m8, have another look at the penalty claim and offside decision in the 1st half or are you wearing rose tinted glasses?

toshes mate

Quote from: davew on April 16, 2018, 10:39:30 PM
Have another look at the penalty claim and offside decision in the 1st half or are you wearing rose tinted glasses?
The point being that if the guy and his assistants can do that to our opponents what can they do to us?  The incident where Odoi pointed out to the referee 'You are the person (making the decision), not the assistants, the benches, or anyone else', was a perfect example of how poorly he applied himself throughout.   It makes you realise how much of a lottery any sport can become when officialdom gets it wrong.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: toshes mate on April 16, 2018, 02:43:34 PM

Referees at grass roots Adult Open Age Football get paid £35 tax free.
But in most cases they earn it.
They have to be a Man Manager, a Social Worker, have enormous patience and a thick skin, a massive sense of humour and good social skills, and despite all those attributes, he still will not be able to keep everyone happy. Especially the low life, but these people have no respect for anyone including referees and themselves.
When I first begun refereeing in the late 60s, I was paid £4.00 which covered petrol expenses and a couple pints of Watneys Red Barrell.
These days I know some referees who are in retirement. Referee Saturday's, Sunday's and at least one in mid week. So apart from keeping fit.
So over a monthly period at £35 a game can pay the odd house hold bill also, and good luck to them.
When I was refereeing, I was once reported to County FA by a club for intimidating their players and supporters can you believe, and when I had to attend a Hearing to defend these ridiculous allegations.
I just stared at them all until they apologised.
So referees deserve every penny, whether they are good or not very good.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on April 15, 2018, 10:27:12 PM

Did you check to see if the coin they tossed up with to choose ends or kick off, was Double Headed. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.