https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (17/04/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 17, 2018, 07:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham star Ryan Sessegnon lands FIVE gongs at EFL's annual awards night

But Graham Carey misses out on EFL's goal of the season award

Highly-rated Fulham star Ryan Sessegnon was the big winner at the EFL's annual awards night as he picked up five awards including both the Championship player of the year and EA Sports' young player of the year.

The 17-year-old has been a mainstay in the Fulham side that has propelled itself to third place in the Championship table this season with his dazzling displays drawing attention from Premier League clubs.

Sessegnon is widely regarded as the brightest talent outside the top flight and his achievements in 2017/18 were recognised by his peers at the EFL's annual glitzy ceremony at the London Hilton on Sunday night.

Sessegnon pipped Wolverhampton Wanderers' Ruben Neves and Fulham team-mate Tom Cairney to the award, while Blackburn Rovers' Bradley Dack and Accrington Stanley striker Billy Kee won the League One and League Two awards respectively.

Sessegnon, who has scored 14 goals in 43 Championship appearances this campaign, was also winner of the Championship apprentice of the year and named in the EFL team of the year. He was also given a special recognition award in the EFL Club Developed XI alongside names such as Joe Hart, Dele Alli and Raheem Sterling.

"It's an honour to win all the awards I have done tonight," Sessegnon said. "I think I have to credit the manager and my fellow players, because the style of football we try and play helps us all express ourselves and that's been a big factor in what we've achieved so far this season.

"It's nice to win both the Apprentice of the Year and Player of the Year in the same season. Ever since Fulham gave me my debut I've wanted to improve and get better day-by-day, so I'm really happy with the team and my performances at the moment."

Luton Town's Olly Lee won the Mitre goal of the season award, fending off competition that included Plymouth Argyle's Graham Carey.

EFL AWARD WINNERS:

Championship Player of the Season - Ryan Sessegnon - Fulham

League One Player of the Season - Bradley Dack - Blackburn Rovers

League Two Player of the Season - Billy Kee - Accrington Stanley

Young Player of the Season - Ryan Sessegnon - Fulham

Championship Apprentice of the Year - Ryan Sessegnon - Fulham

League One Apprentice of the Year - Anthony Hartigan - AFC Wimbledon

League Two Apprentice of the Year - Ben Wilmot - Stevenage

Community Club of the Year - Derby County

Sir Tom Finney Award - Rickie Lambert

Contribution to League Football Award - John Motson

PFA Player in the Community - Joe Bryan - Bristol City

Family Club of the Year - Blackburn Rovers

Supporter of the Year - Mustafa El-Bayati - Northampton Town

EFL Team of the Year

John Ruddy (Wolves), Nathan Byrne (Wigan), Conor Coady (Wolves), Charlie Mulgrew (Blackburn), Ryan Sessegnon (Fulham), James Maddison (Norwich), Ruben Neves (Wolves), Bradley Dack (Blackburn), Bobby Reid (Bristol City), Billy Kee (Accrington), Adebayo Akinfenwa (Wycombe).

Manager: John Coleman (Accrington Stanley)

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/fulham-star-ryan-sessegnon-lands-1461003

WhiteJC

READER LETTER: Have Saints forgotten about our talented on-loan youngster Matt Targett?

JUST in case Les Read hasn't noticed, a very talented young player we loaned to Fulham for the rest of the season is performing brilliantly for a team that is surely heading to the Premier League: unbeaten in 17 games!

It is astonishing to hear him say that he has heard nothing from Saints since leaving in January. I think he suspects that the two clubs will be changing places next season and it is doubtful he will return.

All this at a time when when players we have signed for big money are shrugging their shoulders and are clearly not too bothered about winning.

Our club is going backwards at a fair rate of knots led by two people who have totally lost the plot. I would not be surprised to see us tumbling back down the leagues.

Terry Butler

West End

HOW can Southampton Football Club allow a player like Matt Targett's contract to run out and not keep in contact with him while he is on loan to Fulham?

Before he got injured, he played in the first team and looked a good young player coming in to the team. He is now doing a great job for Fulham and has not lost in 14 games for them.

It shows how bad the people running our club are and why we are in the mess we are in. We should not allow him to slip through the net, he is too good a player to let go.

We the supporters want Matt to stay a Saint and play for us.

Barry Moorman

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/16160740.READER_LETTER__Have_Saints_forgotten_about_our_talented_on_loan_youngster_/?ref=rss

WhiteJC

Newcastle fans react to Aleksandar Mitrovic heroics for Fulham

Newcastle United-owned striker Aleksandar Mitrovic scored for Fulham against Brentford in the Championship at the weekend.

Newcastle United fans have taken to social networking site Twitter to give their reaction to the performance of Aleksandar Mitrovic for Fulham against Brentford.

Mitrovic, who joined Fulham on loan from Premier League club Newcastle in the January transfer window, was on target again at the weekend.

The Serbia international striker scored in the 70th minute to help the Cottagers to a 1-1 draw with Brentford at Craven Cottage in the Championship this past Saturday afternoon.

It was the 23-year-old's 10th goal in the Championship for the Cottagers since his loan move from Newcastle in the January transfer window.

Newcastle fans have taken to Twitter to give their reaction to the performance of Mitrovic for Fulham against Brentford on Saturday afternoon and have discussed his future.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/04/16/newcastle-fans-react-to-aleksandar-mitrovic-heroics-for-fulham/

WhiteJC

Sessegnon's Big Night

Fresh from a memorable evening at the EFL awards last night and classes back at Motspur Park this morning Ryan Sessegnon spoke of his delight following such a successful haul.

"It was such an incredible feeling for me to be picking up these awards," he reflected. "It was such a special moment for me and it really shows how well we have been playing this Season. Hopefully we can continue in the same way until the end.

"As a young player you want to experience these things. You want to always continue to learn and improve and for me to go there yesterday and witness what I had achieved was truly amazing."

Sessegnon beat team-mate Tom Cairney and Wolves midfielder Ruben Neves to win the Championship Player of the Season award on top of being named Young Player of the Season. 

"I am so proud to receive all these awards but especially the Championship Player of the Season," Sessegnon stated. "I never would have imagined I would win (Championsip) Player of the Season.

"Both Tom Cairney and Ruben Neves are superb players so it just shows how well we have been playing this Season.

"I just want to carry on the way I have been going. Whenever success does come I just enjoy it for a moment but then put it to the side and focus on the main objective. The main objective for me now is to get us to the Premier League."

Ryan was not the only Fulham player to be recognised as he was named in Championship Team of the Season alongside Tom Cairney and Ryan Fredericks.

Finally, Sessegnon scooped League Football Education (LFE) Championship Apprentice of the Year and was also named in the Club developed XI to take his number of awards to five on the evening.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/april/16/sess-awards

WhiteJC

Ryan Sessegnon: I want to play for Fulham in the Premier League

Teen's pledge to promotion hopefuls after historic double at EFL Awards

On target: Sessegnon has scored 14 Championship goals this season Getty Images

Ryan Sessegnon said he wants to play for Fulham in the Premier League, after an historic night for the 17-year-old at the EFL awards.

Sessegnon became the first ever to be named Championship Player of the Year and Football League Young Player of the Year on Sunday night.

Standard Sport last week revealed Fulham are determined not to sell Sessegnon for at least a year should they get promoted this season.

Sessegnon is wanted by Tottenham, Manchester United, Liverpool, Manchester City and Paris St-Germain but he said: "I just want to play in the Premier League with Fulham.

"I have been at the club since the age of eight. It has been a dream to play in the Premier League with Fulham. We are so very close I just want to get over the line. Hopefully we do it automatic but if not then via the play-offs."

Sessegnon, who has played a major role for Fulham in their promotion push, will hope to follow in the footsteps of fellow Football League Young Player of the Year winners Gareth Bale and Dele Alli — then of Southampton and MK Dons respectively.

However, Bale, in 2007, and Alli, eight years later, did not win Player of the Year which shows the size of Sessegnon's achievement.

Sessegnon has scored 14 goals in 43 league appearances for Fulham under Slavisa Jokanovic this season and is valued by the club at £50million.

"We have played an attractive brand of football which has helped me in the way I like to play," said Sessegnon, after beating team-mate Tom Cairney and Wolves midfielder Ruben Neves to win the Championship Player of the Season award.

Sessegnon was included in the EFL team of the season and he was also named Championship Apprentice of the Year. "It is credit to the team the way we are playing this season," said Sessegnon. "The gaffer has put a lot of confidence in me, as someone so young, he can only improve me as a player."

Fulham's automatic promotion hopes suffered a blow on Saturday when they conceded a 94th-minute equaliser to draw 1-1 with Brentford.

Fulham dropped out of the top two after Cardiff won 2-0 at Norwich on Saturday to move back above them.

Cardiff have a game in hand but Sessegnon says Fulham, who are unbeaten in 21 matches, are determined to go up automatically.

He said: "The heartbreak in the play-offs last season was a sad moment for Fulham. This season we have come out angry and wanting to success.

"I just want to carry on the way I have been going. Whenever success does come, I enjoy it for a moment but then put it to the side and focus on the main objective. The main objective is to get us to the Premier League."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/ryan-sessegnon-i-want-to-play-for-fulham-in-the-premier-league-a3814901.html

WhiteJC

Cardiff City, Fulham and Aston Villa's promotion fates revealed as data experts publish expected final Championship table

Data analysis experts have worked out exactly how the final Championship table will look

Cardiff City will pip Fulham in the race for automatic promotion from the Championship, according to football data analysis experts.

The Bluebirds climbed back above the Cottagers into second spot after securing a 2-0 win over Norwich City at Carrow Road while Slavisa Jokanovic's men could only draw 1-1 at home to London rivals Brentford.

It means Cardiff's destiny remains in their own hands given that they are now a point clear of Fulham , while they also boast a game in hand over their promotion rivals.

And experts at FiveThirtyEight , who use four metrics - goals scored, adjusted goals, shot-based expected goals and non-shot expected goals - to predict the outcome of matches, expect Cardiff to clinch the second and final automatic promotion place come the end of the season.

They have the Bluebirds as the favourites to win three of their last four matches, with Hull City having the slenderest of margins for the meeting between the sides at the KCOM Stadium according to their data.

And it is the game in hand - against Derby on April 24 - that they believe will be crucial as the experts say Fulham will collect just five points from their remaining three games, while they think Cardiff will amass seven more points between now and the end of the 2017-18 campaign.

So going by their calculations, Wolves will win the league title with 101 points, 11 more than the Bluebirds who will claim runner-up spot with 90 points.

They expect Fulham to finish the campaign in third spot with 87 points, three more than Aston Villa who are expected to come fourth while they predict Derby County and Middlesbrough will both beat Millwall to a play-off place on goal difference.

As for their end-of-season probabilities, they believe that Cardiff have an 80% chance of being promoted this season, with Fulham having a 52% chance of going up either automatically or via the play-offs.

At the other end of the table, they think Burton Albion and Sunderland are near certainties to be relegated into League One, with Barnsley being the current favourites to join the pair in going down this season.

Cardiff City's remaining fixtures: Nottingham Forest (H), Derby County (A), Hull City (A), Reading (H).

Fulham's remaining fixtures: Millwall (A), Sunderland (H), Birmingham City (A).

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-fulham-aston-villas-14535595

WhiteJC

Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon reveals his 'main objective' after scooping three EFL awards

The 17-year-old has been a revelation for the Cottagers this term, leading to numerous accolades over the course of the season including a nomination for the PFA Young Player of the Season; the first for a player outside of the top flight.

Ryan Sessegnon has hailed the ''incredible feeling' after scooping three EFL awards, but insists his campaign won't be complete unless he can lead Fulham to the Premier League.

The 17-year-old has been a revelation for the Cottagers this term, leading to numerous accolades over the course of the season including a nomination for the PFA Young Player of the Season; the first for a player outside of the top flight.

(Image: Tim Goode/PA Wire)

Speaking to the official Fulham website about his awards, he said: "It was such an incredible feeling for me to be picking up these awards.

"It was such a special moment for me and it really shows how well we have been playing this season. Hopefully we can continue in the same way until the end.

"As a young player you want to experience these things. You want to always continue to learn and improve and for me to go there yesterday and witness what I had achieved was truly amazing."

Sessegnon beat Fulham team-mate Tom Cairney and Wolves midfielder Ruben Neves to win the Championship Player of the Season as well as being named Young Player of the Season, but the youngster says he's keen to focus his efforts on Fulham's promotion push.

"I am so proud to receive all these awards but especially the Championship Player of the Season," Sessegnon stated. "I never would have imagined I would win (Championship) Player of the Season.

"Both Tom Cairney and Ruben Neves are superb players so it just shows how well we have been playing this Season.

"I just want to carry on the way I have been going. Whenever success does come I just enjoy it for a moment but then put it to the side and focus on the main objective. The main objective for me now is to get us to the Premier League."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulhams-ryan-sessegnon-reveals-main-14536162

WhiteJC

The Debate: For and Against Ryan Sessegnon's clean sweep of EFL Awards

Last night was one that Ryan Sessegnon won't forget in a hurry, with the teenager picking up every trophy available to him at the EFL awards, most notably Player of the Season.

The debate at WhoScored.com this morning revolved around whether he was a worthy winner.

For: Ben McAleer
For 17-year-old Ryan Sessegnon, the sky is the limit and then some. On Sunday night, he mopped up at the EFL Awards, scooping the player of the season, young player of the season and apprentice of the year accolades. It was little more than he deserved after what has been a spectacular campaign. Indeed, Premier League teams continue to circle the Fulham star, who has scored 14 league goals this season, two fewer than every other teenager in the Championship combined.

On Saturday, he became the first ever player outside of the Premier League to be nominated for the Young Player of the Year award, with his Fulham performances not going unrecognised in the club's quest for automatic promotion. Either way, it's likely that Sessegnon will be plying his trade in England's top tier next term, be it with Fulham or elsewhere, and it's richly deserved for a player who has rapidly outgrown the Championship. Any number of players can lay claim to the title of best player in England's second tier, but the England hopeful pips them all to the finish line in my opinion.

Be it at left-back or on the left wing, Sessegnon has tormented opposition defences and made little mistake when handed the chance to score. Of the 97 players to have netted five or more Championship goals this season, the Fulham star boasts the fifth best conversion rate (26.4%), while he's not one to have shirked his defensive responsibilities, as 1.5 tackles per game highlights.

After breaking onto the scene, Sessegnon is now a big fish in a small pond and the best of a very good bunch of Championship performers. With the potential to become one of football's top players on the left, it's impossible to find a better player in the league than the Cottagers' teenage sensation.

Against: Martin Laurence
There's no doubt whatsoever that Sessegnon is a special talent at his age and a potential star but the furore that his success this season has conjured is a little excessive if you ask me. A direct hand in 20 league goals is an outstanding achievement but too much has been made of the fact that the youngster has achieved such numbers from left-back.

That's not the case after all, with just two of a superb 14-goal haul this season coming from 19 appearances in a back four, and what has become clear in this campaign in particular is that the 17-year-old's future lies in attack. It's his ability to pick up clear goalscoring positions from that left flank that is his greatest strength, with 13 of his aforementioned tally coming from inside the box, of which four have been from inside six yards. Being in the right place at the right time is certainly a skill, but a large proportion of Sessegnon's goals have been somewhat scrappy, while 43% came in the month of January alone.

Indeed, the Fulham academy product tends to score in batches, with goals in nine of 43 appearances this season. That's still a very good record, but 22 of his starts have come in advanced positions. Sessegnon hasn't been as consistent as a number of Championship players this season by comparison, with Ruben Neves the obvious candidate having controlled proceedings for champions elect Wolves. Teammate Barry Douglas has picked up excellent figures from a left wing-back role while Cardiff's Sol Bamba and Aston Villa's James Chester have been rocks all campaign but didn't so much as earn a place in the team of the season.

Ryan Sessegnon has had a fantastic campaign in general, but he's not been on his game as often as a handful of those overlooked by the EFL.

https://www.whoscored.com/Articles/IjHS8mkyiEaTO_GDqrEv-w/Show/The-Debate-For-and-Against-Ryan-Sessegnon%E2%80%99s-clean-sweep-of-EFL-Awards

WhiteJC

Why Tim Ream wouldn't be disappointed if Fulham miss out on automatic promotion

A draw at home to Brentford on Saturday meant they missed a vital chance to overtake Cardiff again into second place

Tim Ream is conscious of just how far Fulham have come this season Getty

Fulham defender Tim Ream says he wouldn't be disappointed if his club failed to gain automatic promotion from the Championship, despite their progress in the latter half of the season.

A draw at home to Brentford on Saturday, ending with a 94th-minute equaliser from the visitors, left the West London side reeling, as they missed a vital chance to overtake Cardiff again into second place.

Their dropped points subsequently granted Wolves a place in the Premier League, as the league leaders now can't be caught. But Fulham's form is still the best in the division, and in drawing extended their unbeaten run to 21 games.

Speaking after the match, the American said his frustrations wouldn't amount to being disheartened if they had to settle for the play-offs, given how far they've come. The club were in 12th when they suffered their last defeat in mid December.

"I wouldn't call it a disappointment," he said. "We dug ourselves a hole in the first part of the season and, listen, 21 games is nothing to scoff at. If we make automatic, great, but we know we have the playoffs to prepare for if we, for whatever reason, miss out. I think we'll look back on certain results and be disappointed, but you can't really be disappointed until all the games are finished."

The 30-year-old admitted it may have been pressure and fatigue getting the better of the Cottagers against Brentford. Before Aleksandar Mitrovic's opener 20 minutes from time, Fulham seemed on the back foot, only managing a single attempt on target. Neal Maupay's equalising header in stoppage time then shifted the Craven Cottage mood from confident to crestfallen. When asked if the draw felt like a loss he nodded in agreement.

"We're in there trying to figure out how we drew the game and gave up a goal late," he said, gesturing towards the dressing room, "but it's one of those, it's football. We've done it to teams this year and they're not the first to do it to us. So again It's one of those things you deal with, you live with. It's an unfortunate goal but we have to move on from it."

In the "most pressure-packed" time of his career, Ream thinks the club still have to win all their games to stand a chance of finishing in that remaining automatic promotion spot, but "crazier things have happened".

The American said his frustrations wouldn't amount to being disheartened if they had to settle for the play-offs (Getty)

"I think we've shown a mental toughness in the entire run," he said. "Just because we concede in the 94th minute doesn't mean we're not mentally tough. It's just a matter of dusting ourselves down and going again."

"We've proven in the last couple of games we don't have to play the best, or turn on the style as much as we would like to, but we've still grinded out a win. Today just wasn't one of those days."

Last season also saw Fulham settle for a spot in the play-offs, going out to Reading over both legs. Ream addressed claims they might be classed again as the best football-playing side unlucky enough to miss out on promotion.

"People can say what they want to say at the end of the day," he said. "People are saying things about Cardiff, and does it matter? It's about results, it's a results-driven business and we're in it to win it."

Fulham next face a difficult trip to south London to play Millwall on Friday evening. The Lions are themselves are also unbeaten at home in five months.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/efl-championship-promotion-fulham-tim-ream-a8306906.html

WhiteJC

Exclusive: David Prutton issues his verdict to FLW on Championship 2nd spot – Cardiff or Fulham?

The race for automatic promotion in the Sky Bet Championship is set to go right down the wire, with Cardiff City, Fulham and Aston Villa battling to attain that coveted second spot.

With runaway leaders Wolves already promoted to the Premier League, Neil Warnock's Cardiff City sit in the second automatic spot having amassed 83 points, whilst having a game in hand.

Slavisa Jokanovic's free-flowing Fulham sit one place below them in third, and are only one point away from the Bluebirds as we approach the final few games of the campaign.

Football League World were lucky enough to be at the prestigious 2018 EFL Awards on Sunday evening at Hilton Park Lane in London, and Chief Editor Sam Rourke managed to catch up with Sky Sports' EFL expert David Prutton.

When asking Prutton who he thought would join Wolves in the top-flight next season, Prutton exclusively revealed this to us: "If I had to put my money on anyone, it would be Cardiff".

"They'll be riled up to get them three points in their game in hand and with what happened on Saturday with Fulham, it gives them a little carrot to chew on to get them over the line".

Cardiff City host Nottingham Forest in their next league match, while Fulham travel to Neil Harris' play-off chasing Millwall at the New Den on Friday night.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-david-prutton-issues-his-verdict-to-flw-on-championship-2nd-spot-cardiff-or-fulham/

WhiteJC

Who is Ryan Sessegnon and what makes him so good?

Ryan Sessegnon has been named the Championship Player of the Year and is nominated for the PFA Young Player of the Year award Credit: GETTY IMAGES

Ryan Sessegnon is the first ever non-Premier League nominee of the PFA Young Player of the Year award, the Championship Player of the Season and the winner of Best Player and Best Young Player at the London Football Awards.

The England under-21 international has scored 14 goals in 43 Championship appearances, is being touted as a potential England World Cup wildcard call-up and is a key part of the Fulham side on the brink of return to the Premier League. All this from someone 17-years-old, who started the season as a left-back.

Not bad. So, what makes him so good?

Pace

Sessegnon is absolutely rapid at full speed but it his ability to go from zero to a flat sprint in something like a half-second which makes him such a nightmare to defend against. Even if you know where's he going, it's very difficult to stop him going there.

When playing as a left-back he would occasionally be caught out of position high up the pitch but could make up for it by speeding back to make a recovery tackle. This isn't ideal and overrun by opposition attacking wingers, Slavisa Jokanovic realised Sessegnon suited a position further forward, making a season-changing decision to put him there.

Sessegnon is equally as quick with the ball at his feet as he is without it, another of the reasons he has been compared in style to Gareth Bale. He is quick of mind too, figuring a way out of tight situations before the defender can get too close - and if he does, Sessegnon beats him for pace.

For a 17-year-old he is remarkably strong, comfortably winning battles against older, sturdier Championship players while contesting 50/50s in wide areas. His balance and nimble, fleeting feet means he can twist and turn to win yards of space and keep passing moves going. In a chase, he usually comes out on top. Defenders Hate Him.

Tricky

"There was a cage right next to our house where we used to play from morning until night with big 11 vs 11 games," Sessegnon said in an interview with Telegraph Sport in March. "There were times where you couldn't even see the street lights so you had to picture who was on your team. My team was always on the ball.

"There's a lot of cages and five-a-side places in London. You see young people showing off their talents. First touch is important. That's where you learn it, on the street."

The tricks, balance, control and quickness of mind may have been honed in a small, enclosed area but Sessegnon takes that same style of play onto the full-sized pitch. Combined with his sense of movement and sheer quickness, he is rapidly developing into one of the best wide players in the country.

It's little bits like this that are particularly impressive. The defender can see exactly where the ball is and is ready to take Sessegnon out and teach him a thing or two about the Championship.

See ya! A little dink and Sessegnon rides the tackle, runs into space and whips a ball into the area. Any highlights video you can find of him on YouTube is filled with little touches that win him a half-yard of space before either making the pass or running past his man - nothing he does is unnecessarily flashy, it all serves a purpose; the kind of thing you learn in the highly competitive world of a South London cage!

Read of the game

Scoring 14 Championship goals from any position as a 17-year-old is impressive but it's remarkable that Sessegnon has managed it from the left wing. Some of his strikes are a result of dribbling inside the pitch:

And finishing from long range, like this one which nestles in the bottom corner:

But the majority of his goals are real poacher's efforts. Sessegnon prefers a more advanced role and in his (even) younger days, was a striker, something which helps explain how he always seems to end up in the right place at the right time.

This is just one example of many where Sessegnon starts from a wide left position. Here the striker tries a shot at goal from inside the box. Sessegnon has already started running to anticipate the second ball.

The defender is caught watching, the ball lands perfectly for Sessegnon's run and he buries the finish. This has happened time and time again, often with Sessegnon drifting into a central striker's position while Fulham have possession in the final third, allowing the left-back to take his role of wide creator in his place.

Physical attributes are part of what makes Sessegnon a good left winger, but it is because he plays the game in his head that he is so highly rated. A striker in his youth, then winger, then left-back, then winger, learning these different positions has helped him know when and where to he should be moving.

He anticipates things when defending too, always on his toes until there's an opportunity to steal the ball, at which point he snaps into action and makes the tackle.

The way he works this little move is really simple and obvious but an example of accurate decision making and execution.

Sessegnon fires a pass into the player to his left and then bursts past his marker to receive the return.

The pass is tapped inside and Sessegnon sprints on to it. Now he has the choice of either darting wide left, where he usually goes to then hit a cross into the penalty area, or carry it inside. The best option is to attack the space in the centre of the pitch.

That's what he does. Sessegnon's excellent close control means when he dribbles at speed, defenders can't step out to tackle him as he can easily change direction and leave them looking foolish. Chasing players can't get close. He keeps his composure and plays in the striker to his left with a no-look, outside-of-boot pass.

This ability to read the game is something difficult if not impossible to coach but one inherent to Sessegnon's play. This season he has been getting lucky by product of the hardwork he puts in - meant as compliment, not criticism - but as opposition teams target him, inevitably he's had a bit of a cool-down on form recently, with two assists and zero goals in his last eight games.

It should be expected. It's Sessegnon's first full season, he's 17 and bound to be a little tired. Better, older players have struggled to escape the attentions of focused defensive marking in the past and the Championship is a notoriously demanding league.

It's worth putting things in context. This is a young player who has been named the best individual in the Championship as well as receiving a nomination for PFA Young Player of the Year against international superstars and were he to win, it would be fully deserved. If not, on the evidence we've seen, it will not be the last time he is held in such high regard come the end of a season.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/04/16/ryan-sessegnon-makes-good/

WhiteJC

Newcastle United loan watch: Another week, another Mitrovic goal

Ivan Toney and Sean Longstaff also got on the scoresheet for their loan sides - below is a full roundup of how the Magpies loan stars fared

A number of Newcastle United's loan stars impressed away from Tyneside this week.

Newcastle's complement of loan players decreased to 15 this week as Dan Barlaser, Callum Williams and Lewis McNall returned to their parent clubs.

Nonetheless, Aleksandar Mitrovic continued his fine goalscoring form, while Sean Longstaff and Ivan Toney were also on the scoresheet for their loan sides.

Below is a full round-up of how Newcastle United's loan stars fared over the past week.

Aleksandar Mitrovic

Another weekend, another goal for Mitrovic.

The Serbian fired in his 12th goal of the season - his tenth since joining Fulham - from the edge of the area to hand them the lead against Brentford.

Unfortunately for the Cottagers, Neal Maupay grabbed a stoppage time equaliser in the 1-1 draw, as Fulham surrendered second place to Cardiff in the Championship promotion race.

You can watch match highlights, including Mitrovic's goal, here.

Aleksandar Mitrovic (Image: Paul Burgman)

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-loan-watch-another-14537340

WhiteJC

Ryan Sessegnon: Fulham winger proud of EFL recognition

Ryan Sessegnon is under contract at Fulham until the end of the 2019-20 season

Fulham winger Ryan Sessegnon says it was a "special feeling" to win four trophies at Sunday's EFL awards.

Sessegnon, 17, was named Championship player of the season on Sunday, beating team-mate Tom Cairney and Wolves midfielder Ruben Neves.

He also won the Championship's young player of the season and apprentice of the year awards, and was named in the Championship team of the season.

"I would have been happy with just one award," he told BBC Sport.

"I would never have thought I would win the young player or player of the season because there's been some fantastic competition in the league this season, especially Ruben Neves at Wolves, James Maddison at Norwich, Cairney at Fulham.

"A lot of great players have played this season so to win those two awards is a special feeling."

Sessegnon has been with Fulham since he was eight years old, with twin brother Steven also on the books at Craven Cottage.

His loyalty to the club - despite reported interest last summer from Manchester United and Tottenham - was rewarded with a special award after he was named in a club-developed XI.

"Coming through the youth ranks at Fulham is a great honour to me," he said.

"To step out at Craven Cottage week in week out as a local boy is just extra special.

"For the fans, for the club, for the young players I want to show there is a pathway at Fulham for young players to go through in the first team."

From west London to Russia?

Sessegnon made his England under-21 debut against Ukraine in March

Sessegnon has represented England up to under-21 level, and has been tipped by BBC Sport pundit Mark Lawrenson for a place in the senior team.

"He's played a lot of football and he's still relatively a baby in the world of football," Lawrenson said on Saturday's edition of Football Focus.

"If I were Gareth Southgate, I'd take him to the World Cup, absolutely. He's the future. You don't have to play him necessarily, you can take 23 players.

"I would take him purely for the experience. He is that good.

"He's in the right team at Fulham, with the way that they play. What a player he's going to be. It's frightening."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43786965

WhiteJC

Ream: We Move On

Tim Ream is eager to put the disappointment from Saturday's game behind him as his full focus is now switched to getting a result at Millwall on Friday.

Fulham were leading Brentford on Saturday thanks to a second-half Aleksandar Mitrović goal however Neal Maupay netted an equaliser four minutes into added time.

"They threw everything at us at the end and up until Saturday we have dealt with that pretty well but on Saturday we didn't," responded Ream.

"Everyone is going to be disappointed, we were in there trying to figure out how we drew the game and gave up a goal late on.

"It's one of those, it's football, we've done it to teams this year and they're not the first team to do it to us.

"It's one of those things you deal with, you live with, it's an unfortunate goal but we have to move on from it and we go again on Friday," said Ream.

With three games left to play Fulham are one point behind Cardiff who now occupy second spot with a game in hand and Ream knows that there is an emphasis to pick up maximum points in the remaining fixtures.

Ream said: "There's no two ways about it. We know what the situation is and we know that starting with Millwall on Friday night we have to win and there's no getting around that.

"Saturday evening was tough to take but we've drawn games in this run so it's a game we have to now put behind us and get ready for Millwall.

"We've shown a mental toughness throughout this entire run, just because we concede in the 94th minute doesn't mean we're not mentally tough, it's just a matter of dusting ourselves down and going again.

"We've proven in the last couple of games that we don't have to play nice football or turn on the style as much as we would like to, and we haven't done in the last three games and we ground out wins but today just wasn't one of those days."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/april/16/tim-ream-brentford-reaction

WhiteJC

Fulham need to dispatch scouts to watch these 4 players in action

After an impressive second half of the season, Fulham are in with a shot of automatic promotion with just three games remaining.

With one automatic promotion spot already taken, Cardiff City and Fulham are set to scrap it out to the end for the final place.

The Cottagers trail Cardiff by one point at the moment – after Brentford scored an injury time equaliser on Saturday evening – and Neil Warnock's side also have a game in hand to pull four points clear.

While it is currently out of Fulham's hands, they will be readying themselves for any potential slip up from the Bluebirds and hoping to take advantage.

Meanwhile, their scouts will already be watching other games and running the rule over players who could potentially add something to their squad in the Premier League.

Here are four players who the Fulham scouts should keep their eye on for the last few games of the season.

Jonny Evans

Even though West Bromwich Albion beat Manchester United at Old Trafford on Sunday, they are still looking very likely to go down.

And if they do, star defender Jonny Evans is reportedly available for £3m.

The Northern Ireland international has so much experience at the top level and Fulham would be foolish not to try to lure him to Craven Cottage if they win promotion.

Joe Worrall

Another centre back who Fulham could target is Nottingham Forest's Joe Worrall.

The physical centre half is a natural leader and he has been one of the standout stars for Forest this season.

The England youth international is likely to get his Premier League move soon and Fulham could benefit in the long-term from having the 21-year-old on their books.

Adama Traore

If Fulham go up and Middlesbrough stay down, then the Cottagers should launch a bid for Adama Traore.

The former Barcelona wonder-kid has always shown signs of potential but this season, he has added end product to his game.

The 22-year-old could get even better next season and he would undoubtedly be tempted by a Premier League move.

Jay Rodriguez

Fulham could also look to poach Jay Rodriguez from West Brom if they get relegated.

The 28-year-old has lots of experience at Premier League level and he is able to add an option for Slavisa Jokanovic in a centre forward role or anywhere in the attacking midfield line.

This season, Rodriguez has 11 goals and he is likely to get a Premier League move if the Baggies suffer relegation.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-need-to-dispatch-scouts-to-watch-these-4-players-in-action/

WhiteJC

Does Aleksandar Mitrovic deserve one last chance?

'There's no doubt if it's a choice between Rafa Benitez and Aleksandar Mitrovic, I'll be waving goodbye to the Serb, but I'd really love...'

Sorry, another Aleksandar Mitrovic article. I can't help but add my own opinion to the stacks of articles and comments that have been published over the last few seasons and especially in recent months.

I almost wrote an article after the 4-1 victory over Preston North End, that saw us confirm promotion, last season. Don't get me wrong, Gayle was fantastic last season and should be regarded as our star striker in that Championship year – but I felt Mitrovic was getting a lot of stick at the time for not being mobile enough, having poor hold up and link up play and inefficient finishing.

Watching that vital win against Preston, though, I felt Mitrovic led the line fantastically well. He won everything in the air, bringing players into the game with headers and chest downs. It was a slick through ball from him, on the counter, that gave Atsu the opportunity to put us 2-1 up.

This season Mitrovic hasn't had many opportunities in a Newcastle shirt. I accept that he can be his own worst enemy. What he was doing when he borderline assaulted Lanzini to get a retrospective ban is anyone's guess. This certainly isn't the only example of him losing his discipline but that seemed to be the moment that really put paid to his likelihood to get a game.

He's got plenty of critics. There's those who say he's a liability and Rafa doesn't trust him, others say he's simply not good enough. But is he really worse than Joselu?

I'm one of those people that half the fanbase mock. I admire his passion and actually believe he's a pretty decent player. He's still young and, if recent events are anything to go by, has still got the potential to become a real threat.

So, onto current times.

As everyone is aware, Aleksandar Mitrovic is plying his trade at Fulham now. There's a couple of stories on how this came about. One is that he received a text from Slavisa Jokanovic asking if his Anderlecht move had gone through. It hadn't and on deadline day Mitro headed to West London to join his compatriot. The other story is that it was Mitrovic who texted Jokanovic speculatively, as he flew back from Belgium and his failed loan, and the Fulham boss agreed to take him on.

What has happened since has caused plenty of debate.

He's scored 10 goals in 14 games (12 starting, 2 from the bench), 5 goals in his last 6 home appearances and Fulham have been unbeaten with him in the team. Championship or not, that's impressive stuff. I've seen some of his goals this season too and they've not all been tap ins or headers. He's scored some great goals; shots outside the box, clinical finishes to conclude excellent moves. He's been doing the same with Serbia over the last 2 years. This guy can score goals.

On Saturday, I was loitering about, doing very little and watching football. Having seen Liverpool go 2-0 up in their game I decided to flick through the channels and saw that Fulham were on TV as well. I decided to switch over and see how Mitrovic was doing. It was 0-0 but literally, and I mean literally, within a minute of me putting it on, Mitrovic scored. It was an incredible left footed finish from outside the box, bending round the defender to crash in off the post.

As it happens, Brentford equalised and Fulham sit 3rd in the league but the impact of Aleksandar Mitrovic is unquestionable.

I watched the game against Leeds a couple of weeks ago and Mitro was fantastic in a man of the match performance. The first goal came from a flicked header on by the big man, which hit his teammate McDonald on the backside and deflected in. The second goal saw a tremendous counter attack which culminated with Mitrovic playing a one-two with Tom Cairney, before sweeping it home to seal the victory. This performance didn't just come down to his assist and goal though. He was outstanding all game and looked like the player many of us would love him to be in a Newcastle shirt.

I went to West Ham away back in December, before Mitrovic went on loan. The tension between fans on the subject was unbearable. Two groups of fans were furiously arguing. One set were insistent that Mitrovic is our best striker and that Rafa is a fool for not playing him. The other set claimed that Mitrovic is the worst player in our squad and shouldn't be anywhere near the first team. I don't agree with either standpoint but is he worth a go next season? I think so.

The difficulty comes with the fact that he only has two years left on his contract. If we take a chance on him next season and it doesn't work out, we'll be in a weak position when it comes to selling him with one year left on his contract.

I'd see how he fares in the World Cup. His detractors are right to say he's playing Championship football, maybe he's found his level. But let's see how he gets on against the defenders of Brazil, Switzerland and Costa Rica. If he can bully his team through to the knockout stages with good performances and a couple of goals, he can surely hold his own in the Premier League next year.

He's 23, powerful, full of confidence and loves our team. I think he deserves one final chance to prove himself. Dare I say, he'd be like a new signing.

Maybe he's not good enough, maybe Rafa's tactics don't play to his strengths, maybe we can't trust him. Maybe he's got it in him to be the striker we thought we'd signed three years ago.

I wrote an article many years ago asking fans whether they'd prefer to keep Ben Arfa or Pardew, when HBA fell out of favour. This is a very different scenario. There's no doubt that if it's a choice between Benitez and Mitrovic, I'll be waving goodbye to the Serb.

I would just really love it if I got a chance to see both next season.

https://www.themag.co.uk/2018/04/aleksandar-mitrovic-deserve-one-last-chance-newcastle-united/

WhiteJC

Fulham should try and bring £11m Patrick Roberts back if promoted

Fulham are hoping to push toward Premier League promotion after another brilliant season.

For the second season in a row, Fulham are having an outstanding campaign under the management of Slavisa Jokanovic. The Serbian is leading them to the Championship play-offs but is also still firmly in the battle for automatic promotion with Cardiff City and Aston Villa.

It would be a fine reward and the culmination of a brilliant season for Fulham if they could indeed secure a place back in the Premier League.

If they did manage to do just that, the Cottagers should start looking at bringing one of their former talents back to the club.

Fulham have developed some great young talent in recent years as Ryan Sessegnon's form and stature would attest to.

Another player reared at Fulham is winger Patrick Roberts. The 21-year-old emerged as one of the Championship's top talents in the 2014-15 season. It piqued the interest of several top clubs, including Manchester City. According to The Guardian, he arrived in a deal which could eventually be worth £11 million.

But he has spent most of his time out on loan at Celtic from City. With Manchester City crowned Premier League champions at the weekend, a first-team opportunity looks incredibly unlikely next season.

Celtic are often mentioned as having an interest in signing the player permanently but, as of yet, no deal has been formalised.

(Photo by Charlie Crowhurst/Getty Images)

Fulham would be wise to try and bring the player back to Craven Cottage. After an initial 18-month stint at Celtic, the Bhoys wanted to sign him permanently last summer, but Pep Guardiola would not allow it. A new loan deal instead was agreed.

This time around it has not been as successful, in part due to injuries, but Fulham would surely tempt Roberts back to his home club if they were in the Premier League.

Whether it be on a loan deal or permanently a return to Fulham would be excellent for the 20-year-old.

https://tbrfootball.com/fulham-try-bring-11m-patrick-roberts-back-promoted/

WhiteJC

Newcastle Fan Favourite Linked With Summer Move To Palace

He's always been something of a fan favourite at St James' Park and now Aleksandar Mitrovic is being linked with a summer move to Crystal Palace alongside a host of other Premier League clubs.

Having failed to convince Magpies boss Rafael Benitez that he was up to the task of scoring goals regularly in the top flight, the Serbian was sent on loan to Fulham at the start of February in a deal which is set to last until the end of the season.

In the time since then, the 23-year-old has been on a tear for the Cottagers, bagging 10 goals in just 14 appearances to help he and his teammates climb to within just one point of second placed Cardiff City with three games left to play. Indeed, Aleksandar looked to have given the west Londoners another massive three points when he put them in front against Brentford last weekend, only to have his hopes dashed in the last minute when Neal Maupay equalised for the Bees.

Given the purple patch he's enjoyed in Fulham's colours to date, you would assume he'd be keen to sign for Jokanovic if they do manage to make it out of the Championship this May but with automatic promotion still just out of their grasp and the play-offs known to be something of a lottery, plans simply cannot be set in stone.

Thanks to the Eagles' 3-2 win over Brighton last weekend, Premier League safety is now looking more likely than it has at any point since August but with West Ham and Burnley also mentioned in the story as potential suitors, we'll likely have a battle on our hands if we are intent on winning the race for his signature.

Whilst no one would deny that there is a gap in quality between the Championship and the Premier League, Mitrovic's age, desire and career goal tally (96 in 244 games) points towards him having plenty of room to continue growing in the years to come.

Watch this space.

http://www.hltco.org/2018/04/17/newcastle-fan-favourite-linked-summer-move-palace/

WhiteJC

Millwall boss Harris: Fulham won't change approach at The Den

Millwall boss Neil Harris expects Fulham to go on the attack at The Den on Friday night in a clash of the two form teams in English football.

The Lions are unbeaten in 17 Championship matches and will aim to strengthen their hold on the sixth and final play-off spot in the derby. Fulham's automatic promotion hopes were dented by a 1-1 draw against Brentford on Saturday but they have gone 21 games without defeat.

"We have seen how difficult it can be for us to stay unbeaten so credit goes to Fulham," said Harris, pictured inset right. "They have got some great players and Ryan Sessegnon won every trophy going at the Football League awards on Sunday night.

"They also had three players in the Team of the Season.

"Fulham have grown in stature and performances during the season – but so have we. I have seen their strengths and certainly their weaknesses in the footage that I have watched already. We're really looking forward to the game under the lights at The Den in a hostile atmosphere, it will be hostile. My players will be ready to embrace the challenge.

"Fulham play a very expansive game, they are as good a footballing side as there is in this division. But fortunately we have got one of the best defences in the division and they will have to come to the fore.

"If Fulham want to take risks against us then we will look to impose our game on them. It's going to be a good battle."

Second-placed Cardiff have a game in hand on the west London outfit, who are a point behind.

But Harris doesn't see Slavisa Jokanovic's side doing anything different when they head to SE16.

"Fulham know they need to win games of football to get in that second spot. They'll come and try to win, that's how they have played all season.

"Teams don't change now – especially at the top of the league table. Everyone is set in their ways and playing their game, that won't change from a top side. It might be a bit different in the bottom half where some clubs have got nothing to play for or they are fighting relegation and might adapt their formations and style of play.

"Fulham have got players who will grace the Premier League next year – with or without Fulham."

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/millwall-boss-harris-fulham-wont-change-their-style-of-play-at-the-den/

General

Quote from: WhiteJC on April 17, 2018, 07:22:23 AM

Newcastle fans react to Aleksandar Mitrovic heroics for Fulham

Newcastle United-owned striker Aleksandar Mitrovic scored for Fulham against Brentford in the Championship at the weekend.

Newcastle United fans have taken to social networking site Twitter to give their reaction to the performance of Aleksandar Mitrovic for Fulham against Brentford.

Mitrovic, who joined Fulham on loan from Premier League club Newcastle in the January transfer window, was on target again at the weekend.

The Serbia international striker scored in the 70th minute to help the Cottagers to a 1-1 draw with Brentford at Craven Cottage in the Championship this past Saturday afternoon.

It was the 23-year-old's 10th goal in the Championship for the Cottagers since his loan move from Newcastle in the January transfer window.

Newcastle fans have taken to Twitter to give their reaction to the performance of Mitrovic for Fulham against Brentford on Saturday afternoon and have discussed his future.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/04/16/newcastle-fans-react-to-aleksandar-mitrovic-heroics-for-fulham/

WhiteJC :- you're a star for pulling these together daily and without issue, I believe I've noted that a few times before and will continue to do so. That being said, and it's a sensitivity I've recently formed/developed to the point where I'd try and address it but would it be possible to not put up articles like this that lack any actual substance?

I know in many ways it's petty and I appreciate this is a time consuming endeavour on your behalf, so hoping this makes it less so.. but this article for instance talks article boutique Newcastle fans having a say on mitrovic's form for fulham and doesn't actually give any insights to what's being said... it just mentions that it's happening on Twitter and feels like it's just click bait.

I don't know if by now you've managed to automate this process or if it is still a manual one but surely articles that only offer unique or credible insights are worth it.

In a world where everyone is trying to be something without feeling the need to put much thought into it, it'd be hugely refreshing to not see it everywhere.

I am sorry if this comes across as across personal attack, it's definitely not intended in that way. I think what you're doing is great and can't thank you enough.. but just perhaps these styled articles may be best left out for you and us.