watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (18/04/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 18, 2018, 07:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Who has toughest Championship fixtures? Cardiff City, Fulham, Aston Villa, Middlesbrough, Derby County, Millwall, Preston and Bristol City

The race for the automatic promotion and play-offs is really hotting up

Wolves secured promotion to the Premier League on Saturday evening as Fulham slipped up against Brentford.

The Cottagers 1-1 draw meant that the Molineux side are back in the top-flight with Cardiff City now in pole position to join them.

Cardiff won 2-0 at Norwich City to jump above the London side with only three games left of the season.

Millwall were held to a 1-1 draw at Sheffield United while Derby County went down to a 3-1 defeat against Burton Albion to leave two spots open in the play-offs.

It's set to be a fascinating conclusion to the season.

Here's what you need to know about the run-in.

Wolves

Wolves are promoted ahead of their game against Birmingham City today.

The final day encounter against Sunderland is set to see both exchanging divisions with Wolves set to be crowned champions in the next few weeks.

Birmingham City (h)

Bolton Wanderers (a)

Sheffield Wednesday (h)

Sunderland (a)

Cardiff City

Neil Warnock's men are back up to second.

Cardiff bounced back from a miserable few days to secure a vital three points at Norwich.

They now know that winning all their games would take to the Premier League.

Nottingham Forest (h)

Derby County (a)

Hull City (a)

Reading (h)

Fulham

Fulham's 2018 has been phenomenal and they are now on a 21-match unbeaten run.

But last night's slip-up against Brentford could prove costly for their automatic promotion hopes.

Millwall are next up and they probably need to win all three matches to stand a chance of competing with Cardiff.

Millwall (a)

Sunderland (h)

Birmingham City (a)

Aston Villa

Villa kept up the pressure on their rivals with victory over Leeds United.

They now need to win their remaining three matches and hope Cardiff and Fulham slip up.

Ipswich Town (a)

Derby County (h)

Millwall (a)

Middlesbrough

Boro ended their poor run of form against top sides as they beat Bristol City 2-1 at the Riverside Stadium.

That result suggests they have enough to make the play-offs but it won't be easy.

They will have to maintain that winning touch against their rivals or this season will go to waste.

Derby County (a)

Millwall (h)

Ipswich Town (a)

Derby County

Derby don't appear to have consistency required to secure a play-off spot.

Beating Preston and Bolton helped their chances but the defeat to Burton has made things tricky.

Their fixtures look tough and they need at least three wins.

Cardiff City (h)

Middlesbrough (h)

Aston Villa (a)

Barnsley (h)

Millwall

The Lions made it 16 games undefeated as they picked up a useful point at Sheffield United.

Promotion chasing Fulham are next for Neil Harris' side.

Their fixtures are tricky but they have shown that they are capable of competing with the best in the league.

Fulham (h)

Middlesbrough (a)

Aston Villa (h)

Preston North End

Preston moved back into the mix with a 2-1 victory over QPR on Saturday.

They are now three points off sixth spot and need three wins to stand a chance.

Their fixtures don't look too bad.

Norwich City (h)

Sheffield United (a)

Burton Albion (h)

Sheffield United

The Blades are two points off the top six after their defeat will Millwall.

It's in their hands with the fixtures to play and they could make a late surge.

Birmingham City (a)

Preston North End (h)

Bristol City (a)

Brentford

The Bees last-gap goal against Fulham keeps them in contention - just.

Like Bristol City, they need to win all three matches and hope their rivals don't.

QPR (h)

Barnsley (a)

Hull City (h)

Bristol City

The Robins need three wins from their remaining matches and to hope that their rivals slip-up.

The defeat to Boro could be the final straw for Lee Johnson's side who have struggled in the second half of the season.

Hull City (h)

Nottingham Forest (a)

Sheffield United (h)

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/championship-fixtures-run-cardiff-fulham-1413146

WhiteJC

Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon: it is 'crazy' to be bracketed with Kane and Rashford
• Teenager is in the running for PFA young player of the year award
• Sessegnon 'dreaming' of playing in Premier League with Fulham

Ryan Sessegnon has said it feels "crazy" to be bracketed with Harry Kane and Marcus Rashford but he is determined to join them in the Premier League with Fulham next season.

The 17-year-old last week became the first player from outside the top flight to be shortlisted for the Professional Footballers' Association Young Player of the Year Award. He is in the running with Kane, Rashford and the Manchester City trio of Ederson, Leroy Sané and Raheem Sterling.

"It is crazy to be on a shortlist with those players but I'm just happy to be in and around those types of players," Sessegnon said. "I just need to keep improving. It is credit to the team really, the way we play and ever since I made my debut. I know the club very well and I feel very comfortable playing for the club."

Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham are among the elite clubs to have tracked Sessegnon's progress but he remains focused on reaching the Premier League with Fulham. He has scored 14 goals in the Championship this season, with Slavisa Jokanovic's team vying for automatic promotion after the club missed out in the play-offs last term.

"It would mean everything to go up with Fulham," Sessegnon said. "It is the team that has made me a professional and it's the team that has given me a chance. I think day by day, training session by training session and match by match I am improving and that's all because of Slavisa really, so credit to him and to the club. It has been a dream of mine to play in the Premier League with Fulham. We are so very close I just want to get over the line now."

Asked whether felt ready to make the step up, he said: "I'm not sure yet. I don't think you can tell until you play in the Premier League. But I think I am improving with each game and I just want to keep learning."

Sessegnon, who collected five awards at the EFL Awards on Sunday, joined Fulham aged eight, along with his twin brother, Steven, who remains in the academy. He has made rapid progress since his first Fulham start in August 2016 and was called up to the England Under-21 squad last month after helping his country lift the European Under-19 championship last summer.

Jokanovic's side are third in the Championship with three games remaining, starting with a trip to Millwall on Friday. Fulham made the play-off semi-finals in 2016-17 but were beaten over two legs by Reading. "Last season the heartbreak in the play-offs was a very sad moment for Fulham but this season we have come out very angry, very motivated to succeed this season and that's we are doing," Sessegnon said. "Hopefully we can do it through the automatics and if not we will do our best in the play-offs. We have one job and that's to try and get promoted."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/17/fulham-ryan-sessegnon-kane-rashford-pfa-award-premier-league-fulham

WhiteJC

Why Millwall boss isn't concerned if Fulham have more possession in Friday clash

NEIL Harris isn't worried if Fulham have more possession than Millwall on Friday night – because most teams have against the Lions.

Millwall are currently on a 17-game unbeaten league run and have only shaded possession in two of those games: Leeds United and Sunderland, on both occasions when they needed the ball to chase a one-goal deficit.

The Lions defeated Brentford 1-0 with less than 35 per cent possession. Fulham had a higher percentage of the ball against the Bees last Saturday, but dropped two points after conceding a 94th-minute equaliser.

Millwall need to win on Friday night to guarantee staying in sixth with two games left, while Fulham are chasing automatic promotion.

"I think they will probably have a bit more of the ball than us on Friday night, that's safe to say," Harris said. "Then again every team probably has a bit more of the ball than us.

"We've got no qualms with that, Fulham are a very good footballing side and have some great technicians with the football.

"If we're not going to have the ball then our shape will have to be very good, and it has been second half of the season.

"We have to make sure that when we do have the ball we're ruthless with it and clinical and use it wisely.

"On Saturday at Sheffield we had some exceptional passages of play with the ball to get into some really good areas, we manipulated the ball to get into wide areas but then didn't use it very well. We've certainly got to be better than that on Friday night."

Millwall have the best defence in the division outside the top two, and Harris is hoping they can add to their clean-sheet haul against Slavisa Jokanovic's side.

"It's important for the whole squad," Harris said. "We have to defend without the ball quite a lot during games. We have our structure and our triggers when to press and not to press.

"The players understand it and adhere to the rules. Results don't lie. We've had results and we've had clean sheets, 18 so far this year in the league.

We've got the third best defence in the division which shows what we do works. We'd certainly like to get that from 18 to 19 on Friday night.

https://www.newsatden.co.uk/66921-millwall-boss-isnt-worried-if-fulham-have-more-possession-in-friday-clash.html

WhiteJC

After inconsistent Fulham season, is there a place for Sheyi Ojo at Liverpool?

The 20-year-old has failed to nail down a starting role at Fulham.

Sheyi Ojo joined Fulham on loan from Liverpool back in August amid great fanfare, expecting to build on his bright appearances at Anfield.

However, the 20-year-old has endured a frustrating season in southwest London, struggling to nail down a starting spot and dividing opinion among Fulham supporters.

After failing to set Craven Cottage on fire, it looks like a return to Anfield is highly unlikely next season.

Ojo has made 22 appearances for the Whites this season, but has scored just four goals and produced two assists – disappointing returns for a player who has made eight Premier League appearances for Liverpool.

The England U21 international enjoyed a fine run of form in the latter stages of 2017, scoring all of his four goals in a one month spell from November to December.

The winger's standout performance came in Fulham's wild 5-4 win against Sheffield United in November, when he bagged a brilliant brace and chipped in with a wonderful assist for Ryan Sessegnon.

Sheyi Ojo joined Fulham on loan from Liverpool back in August amid great fanfare, expecting to build on his bright appearances at Anfield.

However, the 20-year-old has endured a frustrating season in southwest London, struggling to nail down a starting spot and dividing opinion among Fulham supporters.

After failing to set Craven Cottage on fire, it looks like a return to Anfield is highly unlikely next season.

Ojo has made 22 appearances for the Whites this season, but has scored just four goals and produced two assists – disappointing returns for a player who has made eight Premier League appearances for Liverpool.

The England U21 international enjoyed a fine run of form in the latter stages of 2017, scoring all of his four goals in a one month spell from November to December.

The winger's standout performance came in Fulham's wild 5-4 win against Sheffield United in November, when he bagged a brilliant brace and chipped in with a wonderful assist for Ryan Sessegnon.

Unfortunately for the Liverpool loanee, he has struggled to recapture this promising play in recent months. Ojo's time at Fulham has been characterised by poor decision making, ambitious dribbles, and erratic finishing.

His lack of end product was painfully on show in Ojo's last appearance for the Whites, against Sheffield Wednesday. Ojo featured prominently in his hour on the pitch, but all of his shots in dangerous positions lacked any purpose or power.

He has not featured for the Whites since being taken off after 62 minutes at Hillsborough.

It seems Ojo has fallen down the pecking order for the coveted right wing position at the Cottage, with Lucas Piazon, Floyd Ayite, Neeskens Kebano, and even wingback Cyrus Christie preferred ahead of the 20-year-old.

With the current Liverpool loanee struggling to assert himself at Craven Cottage, a return to the first team fray at Anfield looks increasingly unlikely.

It seems Sheyi Ojo will have to settle for yet another Championship loan spell next season, as the youngster searches for first team football that is vital for his development.

https://tbrfootball.com/after-inconsistent-season-at-fulham-is-there-a-place-for-this-20-year-old-at-anfield/

WhiteJC

Newcastle's Aleksandar Mitrovic is wanted by THREE Premier League sides after prolific Fulham form

Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored 10 goals in 12 starts for Fulham since joining on loan from Newcastle United

On-loan Newcastle United forward Aleksandar Mitrovic is attracting interest from both the Premier League and abroad.

The 23-year-old striker has been in prolific form for Championship side Fulham, scoring 10 goals in 12 starts and helping the Cottagers to launch a late automatic-promotion push.

If Fulham are promoted to the top flight - the Cottagers are third, one point behind second-placed Cardiff City having played a game more - the west London club are believed to be keen on trying to use some of their Premier League windfall to tempt Mitrovic to sign permanently.

But Italian outlet calciomercato.com claims West Ham United, Crystal Palace and Burnley will also compete for the Serbia international's signature come the end of the season, too.

Marseille, Bordeaux and Mitrovic's former club Anderlecht all retain a long-term interest in the forward as well, so Newcastle are likely to receive plenty of enquiries about the striker this summer.

Rafa Benitez is determined to bring in a proven top-flight scorer and, if he is able to do so, he will then allow Mitrovic to depart should an interested club match United's asking price.

It appears likely that Newcastle will try to delay selling Mitrovic until after the World Cup, however, given that his market value should increase if he impresses for Serbia out in Russia.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastles-aleksandar-mitrovic-wanted-three-14540070

WhiteJC

Report: PL trio are after Newcastle striker Aleksander Mitrovic

Mitrovic joined Championship side Fulham on loan from Newcastle in the January transfer window.

Aleksander Mitrovic is in red-hot form at Championship side Fulham on loan from Newcastle United, and Italian outlet CalcioMercato claim it has not gone unnoticed with the Serb said to be interesting three Premier League clubs.

The 23-year-old has been banging in the goals in west London, as Fulham close in on promotion from the Championship. They sit one point behind Cardiff, but form is certainly with Slavisa Jokanovic's side.

Since moving to Craven Cottage, Mitrovic has scored an impressive 10 goals in 14 games but it appears he has little future on Tyneside under Rafa Benitez - despite having two years left on a contract the Daily Star say is worth £60,000 a week.

A move away from St. James' Park in the summer seems likely, then. And CalcioMercato claim West Ham United, Burnley and Crystal Palace are interesting in signing the 35-time international in the coming months.

The Toon are likely to add to their firepower in the summer, with a whole host of strikers linked including the likes of Fernando Torres, Martin Jorgensen and Alassane Plea.

With Dwight Gayle impressing and Joselu still relatively new, Mitrovic is likely to be the one to make way and that could see one of the three sides look to nab him for next season - that is if Fulham do not also become interested.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/04/17/report-pl-trio-are-after-newcastle-striker-aleksander-mitrovic/

WhiteJC

Hunty's Column: The Story Of My #Reading2Fulham Walk

The man himself tells the tale of how his charity walk unfolded.

Johnny Hunt

I've done some crazy things in my life but this tops the lot. Three months ago I agreed to the challenge set by Lee Adams (@matchwornshirt1 on Twitter) - to follow his footsteps back to Reademption, sorry I mean Fulham. The challenge? Walk 60km from Reading to Fulham for a match! Sure, I'll even fly from Ireland to do it.

Fellow Reading fan Martin Sims (@Sims1871) joined the party and we couldn't wait to get going. We had never met each other, but were going to spend 17 hours together in the name of suicide prevention.

Don't get that very often do you?

So, a meet up at the Madejski Stadium hotel, a couple of beers for courage, and a few donations later, we were off! We left last Monday in the rain at 9.30pm and followed the A3 to London, it pretty much rained all through the night! We went through parts of rural Berkshire I've never been to, and after this walk have no intention of going to again!

Lee's mate appeared out of nowhere at 3am with emergency supplies of tea & biscuits, what a hero! The staple for the night was two lines of the same song from Lee and the same two jokes from Martin! In desperation I called one of my best friends in Australia, thankfully she answered. My ears got a well deserved break.

The three of us huddled in a bus shelter in Slough, watching torrential rain pour down at 6.30am. It inspired breakfast, although served by a miserable git in the Toby carvery! We thought we had problems..

It gave us chance to dry out, fuel up and kick on, which we did. We went near Heathrow and even past a random gentlemen's club! We hit London and the sun came out, we totally miscounted how long was left.

A 60km walk became a 70km one, but with sore limbs and smiles on our faces we made it to Craven Cottage about 3.30pm. The feeling of euphoria was amazing. In fact, similar to that night in the walkabout when we celebrated being champions in 2011!

The three amigos had done it - 17 hours of walking. We had so much support from everyone - all you guys, the local papers and radio. When the Reading fans in the pub sang there's only one Johnny Hunt I was gobsmacked. The game flew by due to lack of sleep and lots of beer. However, it gave me the chance to catch up with a good friend I haven't seen for a long time.

Martin and myself raised over five grand for the guys at CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably). That's not bad for two guys who are still trying to work out where we know each other from in a past life.

The walk may be over but the battle isn't
84 men commit suicide every week - that's 12 a day. It's so wrong, and we need to make a difference. This walk has made me realise even more how we need to talk about mental health. For me I need to be a better friend.

Let's all make a difference, the young lads in the pub I spoke to are the ones who can make it easier for the next generation. In 20 years hopefully mental Illness will be talked about as normally as a broken leg.

Importantly, the walk's got people talking about mental health in such a positive way.

People that I have never met before have said thank you for putting it out there. Some have shared their story with me privately, others have donated money or shared the story of the walk. That is amazing! Thank you so much!

I want us all to keep talking about mental health. If my 80 year-old mate Bernard can, then so can you and I! If you have a problem share it, share it with me even! I'm always here to talk, hey you might be doing me some good too.

Just imagine if there was a programme every week on Sky Sports that talked about mental health, how much good would that do?

There are some amazing people out there involved in combatting mental health problems - I have had the privilege of talking to some of them for this column.

They are leaders of change, young and old; lovely people who are holding out a hand of friendship. So take hold of that hand, then do the same for someone else. Life really can be too short so let's enjoy it.

Donate via Hunty's JustGiving page below - you know you want to.

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/2018/4/17/17240634/hunty-column-story-walk-reading-fc-fulham-madejski-stadium-craven-cottage-efl-championship

WhiteJC

Ryan Sessegnon rejects Man Utd and Spurs transfer talk

Fulham starlet Ryan Sessegnon has dismissed speculation linking him with a summer transfer to Manchester United or Tottenham Hotspur.

The England Under-21 international, aged 17, says he just wants to play in the Premier League with the Cottagers.

Speaking after being named Championship Player of the Year and Football League Young Player of the Year on Sunday night, the youngster said: "I just want to play in the Premier League with Fulham.

"I have been at the club since the age of eight. It has been a dream to play in the Premier League with Fulham. We are so very close I just want to get over the line. Hopefully we do it automatic but if not then via the play-offs."

Sessegnon has been on Fulham's books since 2008, when he was eight years old.

The club are currently third in the Championship table. They are one point behind second place Cardiff City but have also played one game more.

According to the report, Fulham intend to resist any approach for their star youngster and keep him at Craven Cottage for at least one more season if they secure a return to top-flight football.

Sessgnon made his first-team debut as a 16-year-old in August 2016. He has since clocked up 71 senior appearances and scored 21 goals.

He plays as a left-back or left winger.

http://www.offthepost.info/blog/2018/04/ryan-sessegnon-rejects-man-utd-spurs-transfer-talk/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+offthepost%2FTLAa+%28Off+The+Post%29

WhiteJC

Fulham sensation Ryan Sessegnon being eyed by Barcelona but is only focused on Cottagers' promotion push

The England Under-21 international landed an unprecedented five gongs at the EFL awards on Sunday night

Ryan Sessegnon has shone for Fulham this term (Image: Getty Images Europe)

Ryan Sessegnon is being monitored by Barcelona as the race for his signature hots up, but the Fulham sensation is only focused on leading the Cottagers to the Premier League.

Sessegnon, 17, has scored 14 goals for Fulham this season and has been named on the six-man shortlist for the PFA Young Player of the Year award.

On Sunday night the England Under-21 international landed an unprecedented five gongs at the EFL awards, including Championship Player of the Year, as he continued his stunning rise.

Sessegnon has flourished at Craven Cottage, where he already has over 70 senior games under his belt, since being pushed into an attacking left-sided role by coach Slavisa Jokanovic.

Scouts have flocked to west London to check on Sessegnon, with long-time admirers Tottenham believed to be in pole position.

Sessegnon has 14 goals this term (Image: PA Wire)

Sessegnon bags against Aston Villa (Image: REX/Shutterstock)

Spurs have done plenty of groundwork on their bid to sign Sessegnon - whose twin brother Steven is also at Fulham - and Mauricio Pochettino's willingness to give youth its head - witness Dele Alli - is also a big pull.

But now Spanish giants Barcelona have joined European rivals Paris Saint-Germain and a host of Premier League clubs in monitoring his progress.

Fulham refused to entertain offers in January, but know that Sessegnon and other stars will be targeted in the summer if they fail in their promotion quest.

Spurs have done plenty of groundwork on their bid to sign Sessegnon - whose twin brother Steven is also at Fulham - and Mauricio Pochettino's willingness to give youth its head - witness Dele Alli - is also a big pull.

But now Spanish giants Barcelona have joined European rivals Paris Saint-Germain and a host of Premier League clubs in monitoring his progress.

Fulham refused to entertain offers in January, but know that Sessegnon and other stars will be targeted in the summer if they fail in their promotion quest.

The weekend draw with Brentford has dented the Cottagers' promotion hopes (Image: Getty Images Europe)

"It would mean everything to go up with Fulham," Sessegnon said. "It is the team that has made me a professional and it's the team that has given me a chance.

"I think day by day, training session by training session and match by match I am improving and that's all because of Slavisa really, so credit to him and to the club. It has been a dream of mine to play in the Premier League with Fulham.

"We are so very close I just want to get over the line now."

The youngster has two years left on the contract he signed last summer.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-sensation-ryan-sessegnon-being-12378222

WhiteJC

Millwall's Den is a sellout for final home games against Fulham and Aston Villa

Millwall's last two matches of the regulation Championship season are a sellout – with the South Londoners in one of the box seats for a play-off spot.

The Lions, unbeaten in 17 league matches, take on third-placed Fulham at The Den on Friday night.

The match is live on Sky Sports but supporters have still snapped up every ticket available.

And the same applies for the final day of the season meeting with Aston Villa on Sunday May 6.

Millwall are sixth in the standings and positive results in both home games are set to be vital in their hopes of securing a third straight play-off campaign.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/millwalls-den-is-a-sellout-for-final-home-games-against-fulham-and-aston-villa/

WhiteJC

Fulham to offer boss Slavisa Jokanovic new contract to ward off suitors

Promotion push: Jokanovic has led Fulham to the brink of the Premier League Getty Images

Fulham will wait until the end of the season to open contract talks with head coach Slavisa Jokanovic.

The club want to offer Jokanovic a new deal to ward off potential suitors for the Serb, who has taken Fulham to the brink of promotion to the Premier League after an unbeaten run of 21 matches in the Championship.

The 49-year-old has one year remaining on his contract and Fulham are ready to offer him an improved deal this summer in anticipation of interest in him. But, for now, Jokanovic and his coaching staff are focused on the race for the Premier League and securing automatic promotion.

Fulham dropped to third in the Championship after they were held to a 1-1 draw by Brentford on Saturday. They are one point behind Cardiff, who have a game in hand.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-to-offer-boss-slavisa-jokanovic-new-contract-to-ward-off-suitors-a3816241.html

WhiteJC

Ryan Sessegnon: Fulham winger named Championship Player of the Season

Ryan Sessegnon scored his first senior hat-trick against Sheffield United last November

Fulham winger Ryan Sessegnon has been named the Championship Player of the Season at the EFL Awards.

The 17-year-old has scored 14 goals in 43 league appearances for his side, who are third in the table.

Blackburn midfielder Bradley Dack, 24, and Accrington striker Billy Kee, 27, won the League One and League Two awards respectively in London.

Sessegnon was also named Young Player of the Season and Championship Apprentice of the Year.

Earlier in April, the teenager became the first player from outside of the top flight to be nominated for the PFA Young Player of the Year award, and he made his debut for England Under-21s against Ukraine in March.

Fulham are third in the Championship, one point off the automatic promotion places, but have played one game more than second-placed Cardiff.

"I just want to play in the Premier League with Fulham," Sessegnon said.

"We are on an incredible run this season and I want to continue that and hopefully we can push into the Premier League.

"Hopefully we can do it automatic but if not then we will do our best in the play-offs."

Sessegnon beat team-mate Tom Cairney, 27, and Wolves midfielder Ruben Neves to win the Championship Player of the Season award.

Portugal international Neves, 21, has scored six times in 39 outings for Wolves, who were promoted to the Premier League on Saturday.

Neves was included in the EFL Team of the Season alongside team-mates John Ruddy and Conor Coady, as well as Sessegnon.

BBC football commentator John Motson, who is retiring from broadcasting at the end of the season, won the Contribution to League Football award, recognising his service to the professional game.

The 72-year-old is in his 50th consecutive year with the corporation, and has covered 10 World Cups, 10 European Championships, 29 FA Cup finals and more than 200 England games.

Former Bristol Rovers and Southampton striker Rickie Lambert picked up the Sir Tom Finney award.

The honour, named after former England and Preston North End forward Finney, is presented to a player who has had an exceptional EFL career.

Lambert, 36, scored 218 goals in 607 league appearances over an 18-year career that saw him play for nine different clubs, seven of which were in the EFL.

EFL Award winners
Championship Player of the Season

Ryan Sessegnon - Fulham

League One Player of the Season

Bradley Dack - Blackburn Rovers

League Two Player of the Season

Billy Kee - Accrington Stanley

Young Player of the Season

Ryan Sessegnon - Fulham

Championship Apprentice of the Year

Ryan Sessegnon - Fulham

League One Apprentice of the Year

Anthony Hartigan - AFC Wimbledon

League Two Apprentice of the Year

Ben Wilmot - Stevenage

Community Club of the Year

Derby County

Sir Tom Finney Award

Rickie Lambert

Contribution to League Football Award

John Motson

PFA Player in the Community

Joe Bryan - Bristol City

Family Club of the Year

Blackburn Rovers

Supporter of the Year

Mustafa El-Bayati - Northampton Town

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43777191

WhiteJC

Lawrenson Backs Ryan Sessegnon For Russia Even If He Doesn't Play

Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon has had a breakout season at Craven Cottage. The 17-year-old has scored 14 goals and made six assists across 41 Championship appearances this term and is first player from outside the top flight to be shortlisted for the PFA's Young Player of the Year Award. With the Cottagers within a hare's breath of being promoted to the Premier League, BBC pundit Mark Lawrenson thinks that the left sided player is a shoe in for Gareth Southgate's England squad for Russia, despite never playing for his country:

He still relatively a baby in the world of football. I would, if I were Gareth Southgate, I would take him to the World Cup. He's the future. You don't have to play him necessarily, what, how many players can you take 23? I would take him purely for the experience. He's that good.

Lawrenson's claims seems a tad sensational. Granted, the youngster has shown outstanding promise, but to add him to the England squad would only serve to heap pressure upon the player, and the line about brining him to Russia even if he doesn't get any minutes is ludicrous.
The whole scenario is reminiscent of  Theo Walcott in 2006, when the then Southampton winger was brought by Sven Goran Eriksson to the World Cup in Germany. At 16 years of age, with no PL or international games under his belt, Walcott would go on to make no appearances for England as they crashed out to Portugal on penalties. It's hard to argue that Walcott's experience was beneficial and the 29-year-old admitted as much in 2015 stating that his introduction to the international setup came too early in his career.
I think Kevin Kilbane's response to Lawrenson's claims best encapsulates my feelings:

Kilbane waded into the discussion as the voice of reason, saying that if Sessegnon did move to a big club he would not get the same game time he would get at Fulham:

Even if he moved to one of the top sides at the end of this season. Certainly you don't want to take him away from Fulham, because they're serious contenders to go up to the Premier League anyway. He wouldn't play the games, he simply wouldn't.

Sessegnon's Fulham are currently third in the Championship, a point behind 2nd place Cardiff having played a game more, but regardless of whether the Cottagers get promoted this season, there will be no shortage of sides looking to sign Fulham's star man come the summer transfer window.

https://www.balls.ie/football/lawrenson-sessegnon-fulham-russia-387208

WhiteJC

Southampton could be left looking foolish as Matt Targett pushes for promotion

The England under-21 international is hoping to win promotion with Fulham.

Fulham are firmly in the fight for promotion to the Premier League. The Cottagers are chasing Cardiff City in the hunt for the automatic places and will have a shot at the play-offs if they do not make it into the top two. Fulham's brilliant form has been largely down to the arrival of a loan signing from the Premier League. Despite Newcastle United's own struggles, Aleksandar Mitrovic was sent to Craven Cottage to try and find some form. The Serbian has done just that, scoring goals for fun in West London. But the impact of another loanee cannot be understated.

Matt Targett arrived from Southampton at the end of January and has gone on to become an integral member of the Fulham first-team. Targett has played 15 times since his move to the club, even finding the back of the net once.

The Saints man has been solid defensively and a threat going forward for Slavisa Jokanovic's men.

For Southampton, loaning him out could prove to make them look foolish. Whilst Fulham are pushing for promotion, Southampton are desperately scrapping against relegation from the Premier League.

Whilst Ryan Bertrand may be the out-and-out first choice at left-back Mark Hughes' recent switch to a back three could certainly have seen Targett playing a role in the matchday squad at St Mary's once again.

But above anything else, it will be the principle of the matter.

Mauricio Pellegrino was not a fan of Targett and therefore sent him on his way, but he should still be around the club and making an impact in the fight for survival. The fact Southampton, who are currently five points adrift of safety, could get relegated whilst a player they loaned out wins promotion is just bad PR – pure and simple.

It will certainly be interesting to see just where Targett ends up next season, and which division he will be playing in.

https://tbrfootball.com/southampton-left-looking-foolish-matt-targett-pushes-promotion/

WhiteJC

PSG have held multiple meetings for Fulham's left-sided star Ryan Sessegnon

Ligue 1 champions PSG have held multiple meetings with the representatives of Fulham's left-sided player Ryan Sessegnon, according to our ultra-reliable colleagues at Espoirs du Foot.

The player is the subject of interest from AS Monaco too, and will have much to think about when the summer window begins, notably regarding which position he wants to play in, at left-back or left wing.

Les Parisiens are interested in his profile as a full-back, it would appear.

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2018/psg-have-held-multiple-meetings-for-fulhams-left-sided-star-ryan-sessegnon/

WhiteJC

Matt Targett interview: Idolising Gareth Bale, combining with Ryan Sessegnon and hopes for Southampton future

Matt Targett discusses idolising Gareth Bale as a youngster, combining with Ryan Sessegnon, and his hopes for a Southampton future...

To say Southampton have a knack for spotting talented left-footed players would be quite the understatement.

Down the years, Wayne Bridge, Luke Shaw and - most notably - Real Madrid's Gareth Bale have been spotted rampaging down the left-hand side at St Mary's.

Southampton's Category 1 Staplewood academy is held in high esteem as one of the country's leading lights in youth development, with a vision 'to produce a first team year-on-year made up of 50 per cent Academy graduates who are world-class in their technical ability on the field and behaviours off the field competing on the European stage'.

Perhaps it is telling that the three players mentioned above all left the club to become full internationals and established fixtures in elite sides.

The latest prospect to come under the spotlight is Matt Targett. Currently on loan at the Sky Bet Championship's form side Fulham, the 22-year-old has become a mainstay in Slavisa Jokanovic's starting line-up - one that has gone 21 games unbeaten as they forge a ruthless charge towards automatic promotion.

A Saint to the very core, Targett was born-and-bred in nearby Eastleigh and was snapped up by Southampton's academy aged eight. Before his January move to the capital, that was all he had known.

Speaking to Sky Sports ahead of Fulham's crucial clash with Millwall on Friday evening, live on Sky Sports Football, Targett said: "When I was growing up in the U8s through to U12s, Gareth Bale was just coming through.

"I used to go to watch every home game when he was playing and he was certainly my idol to start off with. He proved to be one of the people I could learn from as he played in the same position. I used to watch and study how he played, tried to learn what he did so that I could put his techniques into practice. It was very exciting to watch and a great person to learn from.

"Further on, when Mauricio Pochettino came in, I looked up to the likes of Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert and all of the British players. There was a good bond there and it was nice to look up to."

A long-awaited senior debut came against Millwall in the summer of 2014 but in somewhat unfortunate circumstances, his emergence at St Mary's tied in with Southampton's signing of Ryan Bertrand from Chelsea. Despite his 27 Premier League appearances and being just eight games away from a half-century for the club, Targett had slipped beneath the radar.

But upon the turn of the year, the left-back's fortunes changed.

Matt Targett in action for Fulham

Fulham boss Jokanovic made three January additions in a bid to kick-start his side's floundering campaign. Alongside Cyrus Christie, who joined permanently from Middlesbrough, and Aleksandar Mitrovic, who moved from Newcastle on loan, Targett was given temporary respite from a frustrating season at St Mary's.

"We played Fulham in the FA Cup third round and I was on the bench for that," he said.

"Afterwards, the manager said to me that Fulham were very interested in me and I thought it was a great club to be at. They play some great football and are on a great run at the moment, just outside the play-offs at that point. It was an exciting moment for me.

"With Mauricio Pellegrino, he seemed to rotate his team quite a lot but not in the full-back positions, so I've had limited chances. When Ryan [Bertrand] has been fit, he's first choice and one of the first names on the teamsheet, so it has been very difficult. I just had to keep being patient, wait for January and then try to get out on loan, which I have.

"When I came, the team was already on a great run at that point, then they added in me, Cyrus and Mitrovic to the squad. I think that boosted the squad and we've hit the ground running. Mitro has been on fire for us, so as long as he keeps on scoring goals and we keep on winning, we've got a good chance."

Bale left Southampton to sign for Tottenham in 2007, but the Wales international went on to set an unwanted Premier League record having had to wait 24 games to taste his first victory in a Spurs shirt.

Naturally, the ill-fated beginnings ebbed away, early critics were forced to eat their words and the rest is history. But for Targett, his progress has been anything but stifled.

He already has 15 Fulham games under his belt ahead of Friday's trip to The Den. On the face of it, it is an unassuming figure, but when you take into account he is yet to taste defeat in white and has become a key peg in a backline that has conceded just eight goals in this period, you can begin to grasp the basics of this astonishing streak.

Targett's arrival has coincided with the continued success of multiple EFL award-winner Ryan Sessegnon, although the 22-year-old modestly plays down the impact he has had on the teenager.

"You could say he's been pushed further forward since I've joined and he's got more freedom to attack where he's showed all his qualities, got all the goals and assists, but it's been very nice to play with someone so talented down the left," Targett added.

"How I play, I like to pass the ball, get it down, not smash it long all the time. I think it was the perfect club for me to come to, a club that has a perfect style to complement how I play.

"I think I need to develop 10 yards more pace to be able to move forward! At the moment, I'm happy at left-back, that's my preferred position, but obviously if I wake up one day with extra pace then you never know, maybe I could!"

Targett has combined well with Ryan Sessegnon for Fulham

His initial loan spell in the capital is due to end when the Cottagers' campaign concludes, but with his parent club precariously perched in the relegation zone in the Premier League, it's destined to be an intriguing summer for Targett, despite signing a new five-year deal on the south coast in August.

The success is evident, the plaudits are deserved and his contentment is clear. But does the future lie in SW6 for Targett?

"We'll have to see," he said. "Obviously Southampton aren't in the best position in the Premier League at the moment and I'm very happy here. I've done well here so far and I just want that to carry on, to push on and get Fulham back in the Premier League. We'll have to wait and see what happens in the summer for both Ryan and myself, potentially.

"It would certainly be an option, but it would be down to both clubs agreeing a fee. I haven't spoken to anyone at the club, so I'm fully focused on doing a job here at Fulham.

"[Automatic promotion] is going to be difficult, but it's been amazing here; coming here playing week-in week-out, feeling like an important player. The fans have been fantastic with me, too, so it's worked out to be a great move so far. "

Don't miss the Sky Bet Championship clash between Millwall and Fulham on Saturday 20th April, live on Sky Sports Football from 7pm and Sky Sports Main Event from 7.30pm.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11324067/matt-targett-interview-idolising-gareth-bale-combining-with-ryan-sessegnon-and-hopes-for-southampton-future

WhiteJC

Tim Cahill says Millwall are not feeling the pressure in play-off hunt

Tim Cahill insists the pressure is on Fulham ahead of their trip to The Den on Friday, live on Sky Sports, as Millwall are "riding a wave" on the back of 17 games unbeaten in the Sky Bet Championship.

Since they last tasted defeat in the league at Norwich on New Year's Day, Millwall have picked up 11 wins and six draws to catapult them up the table and into the play-off spots, with three matches to play.

Their run is all the more remarkable as Neil Harris' side were only promoted from League One last season. Cahill, who returned to the club where it all started for him in January, knows that Fulham - also in great form as they chase automatic promotion back to the Premier League - could severely dent Millwall's play-off dream on Friday, but having come so far this season, Cahill insists everything else is a bonus for Millwall.

"For us it is just another game," Cahill told Sky Sports. "Points are so important to everyone. The way we have prepared for the last 17 games is not getting carried away with how good the opponent is. We have focused on our strengths.

"It is an important game for them, but we will just keep riding that wave, and if we keep doing what we have been doing, we can cause an upset.

"It has been a bit of a whirlwind 17 games unbeaten and the confidence it brings.

"It is pretty chilled. There is not much pressure on us. We have just got stronger as the games have gone on. When you look at other clubs, you can see when you are watching how much pressure they are under. We have just got to enjoy it now. All expectations have been exceeded.

"Now it is about whether we can go to another level as a football club and really challenge for a play-off spot."

On a personal level, it has not completely gone to plan for Cahill. The 38-year-old is yet to start a league match this season, but he feels he can pass on his wealth of experience, even if from the sidelines.

"Being the older player, it has always been business towards this stage of the season - you understand what results can do for your football club," Cahill added.

"The reality for these [Millwall] players is that it is best not to make them aware of the situation, and let them ride the wave. It has meant players haven't got carried away.

"I have loved every minute of it. This was my first club and helped me progress to where I am today. It is great to be contributing on and off the pitch for a club that I love."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11735/11334828/tim-cahill-says-millwall-are-not-feeling-the-pressure-in-play-off-hunt

WhiteJC

This player is simply a perfect signing for Aston Villa if Tony Xia can make it happen

Marcus Bettinelli has been in great form for Fulham this season as they storm towards a Premier League return.

Whether that happens or not will be a close call, but the 25-year old's appearances will certainly have caught they eye of many visiting scouts.

Up the M1, Aston Villa are in a similar position, only they don't own their in form keeper. Sam Johnstone is set for a return to Manchester United in the summer after his heroics at Villa Park.

Could Marcus Bettinelli be the right man to take over from Johnstone at Villa Park? It would be quite a coup for Steve Bruce to nab Fulham's number one, but if they go up perhaps it might be a realistic ask.

Marcus Bettinelli has had a superb season in between the sticks for Fulham. In his 23 appearances he kept an astonishing 11 clean sheets, almost one every other game. That's a 47.8% clean sheet percentage, the sort of number that is the envy of almost every other goal keeper in the Football League. Whilst it might be expected from a side challenging at the top of the table, it is still no mean feat.

He has a good defence in front of him, but his ratio of 3.33 saves per goal is proof that he doesn't have it easy one little bit. He's still called into action on a regular basis and the fact he saves over 75% of chances created in front of him shows what a class act he's turned into.

Inevitably there have been goals conceded, but not a ridiculous amount. Even when beaten, he rarely lets in more than one or two a game, resulting in just 15 conceded in his 23 outings. Once again, that is the sort of figure other keepers will be eying with envy.

His distribution is very good too, with 72% accuracy. That is the sort of percentage you expect to see from a midfielder who is playing the ball around in the centre of the park, not a keeper who is sometimes tasked with landing it on the head of a player 100 yards away.

So, yes, of course he'd be a good signing for Villa, but much depends on who goes up and who does not. The one thing we're assuming here is that Bettinelli won't be going to the Premier League with Fulham, that might be overly harsh on the former Accrington Stanley loan player.

At 25-years old he's only just starting his career, with keepers often still at the best deep into their thirties and if experience makes him a stronger keeper, there's no reason why he can't go on to play in the top flight next season and maybe even force his way into the international picture.

Aston Villa would be lucky to have him, that is for sure.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/this-player-is-simply-a-perfect-signing-for-aston-villa-if-tony-xia-can-make-it-happen/