watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (19/04/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 19, 2018, 06:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Everton must swoop now to snap up assist king after top-flight side reportedly make contact

COMMENT

Everton must act fast to beat Arsenal in a swoop for Fulham right-back Ryan Fredericks this summer, with the defender available on a free transfer.

There has been previous interest in the Cottagers full-back from the Blues but now with Arsenal said to be considering a move for the 25-year-old, the Toffees must act quickly.

The Sun claimed that Arsenal have made an enquiry to Fulham already after the player impressed Gunners scouts.

Fredericks has been hugely impressive operating down the right throughout the club's march up the table where they currently occupy third spot in the Championship after overtaking Aston Villa.

Mainly a right-back, the 25-year-old is versatile and can also be deployed down the right of midfield.

With nine assists to his name this season from defence, you'd have to wonder what effect he could have on a stale Everton attack which could do with some form of footballing-resuscitation.

As it stands Seamus Coleman is the main-man in the position and although he has performed consistently since his return to the first-team, he is yet to reach the standards he produced pre-injury.

But with the Ireland international a firm-favourite of Blues supporters, it's unlikely Fredericks could usurp the 29-year-old.

That being said, Fredericks could be utilised down the right of midfield in a defensive line-up against the so-called bigger teams in the Premier League and offer a potent alternative to what they currently have.

On a free transfer he could be one of the bargains of the summer.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/everton-must-snap-up-assist-king-ripping-up-championship-after-reported-interest/

WhiteJC

Ryan Sessegnon should say NO if Premier League big guns come calling for him this summer... and here's why

Ryan Sessegnon has been shortlisted for the PFA Young Player of the Year award
    He is the first young player outside of the Premier League to earn a nomination
    Sessegnon must think carefully about his next destination if he wants to move
    The best thing for his career at this present moment is to remain with Fulham

At just 17 years old, Ryan Sessegnon has become the first player from outside of the top flight to be shortlisted for PFA Young Player of the Year. Let that sink in.

Harry Kane, Raheem Sterling, Leroy Sane, Marcus Rashford and Ederson are his competition for the award and the fact that this English kid is rubbing shoulders with them is astounding.

Sessegnon has wowed us all this season. He has scored 14 goals in an incredibly difficult division and is driving Fulham in their push for promotion to the Premier League.

Ryan Sessegnon has impressed many within the game with his performances this season

The 17-year-old Fulham player was rewarded with a PFA Young Player of the Year nomination

The highly-rated teenager took home five gongs at the Championship awards night on Sunday

This is just the start, too. Sessegnon reminds me of Gareth Bale, who went from being a left back to a world-beater. Under Slavisa Jokanovic, he has gone from being a left back to a winger who is always looking to attack.

He is playing week in, week out in the Championship and holding his own.

It is only natural that Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and both Manchester clubs are monitoring him but Sessegnon has to think hard about what to do next.

Despite his tender age, Sessegnon has shown he can more than hold his own in the division

Remember Patrick Roberts at Fulham? A tremendous talent, he left for Manchester City in 2015 but made only a single Premier League appearance the following season.

He is now on loan at Celtic.

It is about making that right move — the one that will help further your career rather than hold you back. My advice to Sessegnon is to stay at Fulham and continue progressing.

He is being monitored by all of the top clubs in the Premier League who want to sign him

I was 17 when I signed for Liverpool. Luckily, I got straight into the first-team squad but looking back it would not have been the worst thing if I had stayed at Bournemouth for another year.

It is so important that Sessegnon is handled carefully. Ignore the money — that will come later.

He just has to do what is right for his career and that would be to stay at Craven Cottage.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5631063/Why-Ryan-Sessegnon-say-NO-Premier-League-big-guns-come-calling-summer.html#ixzz5D67tM0OO
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Tottenham in extended talks to sign goal machine, BBC pundit one of many convinced deal is done – report

Tottenham have held extensive talks this season about signing Fulham sensation Ryan Sessegnon, according to a report.

The Daily Mail claim Spurs are strong favourites to land the 17-year-old left-sided ace, who was named Championship player of the season at the EFL awards on Sunday.

It is said that negotiations have taken place this season and former Fulham striker and BBC pundit Leroy Rosenior is one of many who believe a deal has already been done for Sessegnon to move to White Hart Lane.

Sessegnon has been in sensational form for Fulham, scoring 14 goals in 46 appearances in 2017-18, including 10 in 12 matches to kickstart a golden run for the team at the end of last year.

His performances over the last two seasons have led to a stampede for his services, with Liverpool, Manchester United, Real Madrid and Barcelona all interested in prising him from Craven Cottage.

In addition to player of the year, he also won the Championship's young player of the season and apprentice of the year awards, and was named in the Championship team of the season.

Football Insider verdict:

If any Championship player, young gun or otherwise, can make the step up from England's second tier to the Premier League, it is the brilliant Sessegnon, a left back turned left midfield goal machine with the world at his feet. He has made the Championship team of the season in his first two campaigns – aged just 16 and 17 – and is now the undisputed best player in the division. Naturally, that doesn't mean the left footer could play for a Champions League calibre club like Spurs every week, and Sessegnon must be careful to leave a team where he is the first name on the teamsheet for one where he won't be. But Tottenham would be a sound move for the wonderkid and Mauricio Pochettino the right manager to develop one of the outstanding talents to emerge from the English game in a generation. If indeed it is a done deal, Spurs fans should be giddy with excitement.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/tottenham-in-talks-to-sign-player-of-the-year/

WhiteJC

Crystal Palace Want On-Loan Newcastle United Striker: Ideal Fit For The Eagles?

Crystal Palace are just two good games away from retaining their top-flight status this season but Roy Hodgson is desperate to add some quality to his first team next season and is already scouting for exciting stars for a move this summer. The latest name on their radar is Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Newcastle United Open To Mitrovic Exit:

A transfer target for the likes of West Ham United, Burnley and Fulham, the Serbian ace is currently out on loan at Craven Cottage from Newcastle United and has been in decent goalscoring form. But Rafa is not convinced of his qualities and reports claim that he could be up for sale at the end of the season.

Hodgson believes that he is the right man for Palace but what will he bring to Selhurst Park?

Mitrovic And His Record:

After helping the Magpies to the top flight, Mitrovic, who made 25 Championship appearances last season, failed to establish himself in the first team in the top flight this season and made just six appearances before he was sent out on loan to Fulham.

After a slow start at Craven Cottage, he is now one of the first names on the team sheet, picking up 12 goals and an assist in just 12 league starts to date. He is crucial to the club's chances of promotion and has shown that he is capable of reproducing the form in the top flight as well.

A target-man who loves to run down the channels and disrupt the backline, Mitrovic is a natural goal scorer, who seems to have mastered the art of hold up play. He is strong in the air and is adept at winning the physical battle in the English game and at just 24, will only get better and is a long-term option for any team that invests in him.

Right Man For Palace?

Christian Benteke is badly out of form and certainly needs a backup and though Bakary Sako has not been too bad, Hodgson needs a first team star who can make an immediate impact and Mitrovic fits the bill well.

With plenty of experience in the English leagues, the Serbian will take no time to adjust to the conditions in London and could be a match winner for Palace in the upcoming campaign. His contract with Newcastle ends in 2020, so he will not be too expensive but do you think he is the right man for Hodgson and his men?

Stats Courtesy: Whoscored

http://madaboutepl.net/2018/04/crystal-palace-plotting-a-move-for-aleksandar-mitrovic/

WhiteJC

If the Championship Play-offs Were Today: Who Would be in the Best Shape?

Back-to-back 1-0 victories over Cardiff and Leeds has ensured that Aston Villa will be in the Play-off Semi Finals. There is, of course, a remote possibility that Villa can leapfrog Cardiff and Fulham into the automatic promotion places, but that is going to take something in the realms of miraculous, which is reflected in the odds of 22/1 offered for Villa to finish second.

The Playoffs do indeed look like the only option left for Villa to gain promotion to the Premier League. If the season ended right now, that would mean a two-legged tie against Middlesbrough (4th vs. 5th), with Fulham (3rd) and Millwall (6th) making up the other Semi Final (the two teams meet this Friday).

Only Fulham and Villa guaranteed a play-off place
Any side as far down as Bristol City in 11th is still in with a shout, but for the moment let's imagine that these are the final four. Who would be considered the favourite? Most major online bookmakers UK punters visit will find that they are split between Fulham and Villa, with William Hill putting Villa in as 11/4 favourites (Fulham 7/2) and 188Bet putting Fulham in as favourites at 5/2 and Villa at 3/1.

It should be pointed out that this may be slightly skewed due to the possibility of Fulham catching Cardiff.

What would Villa fans make of their potential opponents Middlesbrough, who come in as third-favourites at 7/2? Just as with Villa, most Middlesbrough fans will feel that they have vastly underachieved given their outlay on transfers and wages.

Both sides were the two favourites at the start of the season and could, and should, have been much closer to Wolves and Cardiff this season; anything less than promotion through the play-offs will be considered a massive disappointment given their ambition at the start of the season.

Middlesbrough have been poor against top sides
Middlesbrough form has not been great of late either, although they did record a stabilising victory against Bristol City recently (pretty much knocking out the Robins from the play-offs).

The most startling statistic about Middlesbrough – one that bodes well for Villa – is that their record against top six opponents is, frankly, awful: Middlesbrough have no wins, seven defeats and two draws in their nine games so far against sides in the current top six. One of those draws came at Villa Park, but Villa were able to nick a 1-0 victory at the Riverside.

Of all the teams currently in the play-off spots, Millwall will undoubtedly be the happiest to be there. After Fulham, they are the form side of the Championship in 2018, going unbeaten for the last 17 games.

It is still quite surprising that they have been given odds of 22/1 by William Hill to win the play-offs with respect to that form.

Of course, Fulham could make for very difficult opponents and have been in brilliant form themselves, being unbeaten in their last 21 games, but can they keep it going when the stakes rise?

Millwall must earn Playoff place
In a quirk of the fixture list – and arguably another big reason for Millwall's long odds – Millwall last three games of the season are against Fulham (20th April), Middlesbrough (28th April) and Villa (6th May). Those are obviously three very tough fixtures, so if Millwall can hold on to sixth spot, you would have to say they will deserve it.

Picking a favourite for the Championship play-offs from that quartet is incredibly difficult. While it would be nice to point to Villa and say they will triumph, the quality of the teams involved really means that it will be difficult. The best sides don't always win the play-offs. It underlines just how hard it is to get out of this division.

For Villa though, it's very much promotion by any means possible.

UTV

https://www.myoldmansaid.com/if-the-championship-playoffs-were-today-who-best-shape/

WhiteJC

Southampton loanee Matt Targett open to permanent transfer to Fulham this summer

Fulham left-back Matt Targett says he would be open to a permanent move to Craven Cottage this summer.

The 22-year-old moved to west London on loan from Southampton in January and has been a permanent fixture in Slavisa Jokanovic's side ever since.

With Southampton struggling five points from safety in the top flight, and Fulham pushing from a place in the Premier League, the full-back's future will come into question this summer.

And while he insists the focus is on the Championship run-in, Targett admitted a permanent move to the club could be a possibility this summer.

"We'll have to see," he told Sky Sports. "Obviously Southampton aren't in the best position in the Premier League at the moment and I'm very happy here.

"I've done well here so far and I just want that to carry on, to push on and get Fulham back in the Premier League. We'll have to wait and see what happens in the summer for both Ryan and myself, potentially.

"It would certainly be an option, but it would be down to both clubs agreeing a fee. I haven't spoken to anyone at the club, so I'm fully focused on doing a job here at Fulham."

The England Under-21 international's arrival has also allowed PFA Player of the Year nominee Ryan Sessegnon to move further forward, and Targett says it's a dream to play alongside the 17-year-old, and in a side which suits his style.

"You could say he's been pushed further forward since I've joined and he's got more freedom to attack where he's showed all his qualities, got all the goals and assists, but it's been very nice to play with someone so talented down the left," Targett added.

"How I play, I like to pass the ball, get it down, not smash it long all the time. I think it was the perfect club for me to come to, a club that has a perfect style to complement how I play."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/southampton-loanee-matt-targett-open-to-permanent-transfer-to-fulham-this-summer-a3817531.html

WhiteJC

Cardiff City's immense character, Fulham's false dawn and why I believe Millwall will have crucial say in race for Premier League

The former Cardiff City striker and Wales Online columnist gives his thoughts on the automatic promotion hunt

What a difference a week makes.

Seven days ago I detected a sense of doom and gloom after Cardiff City's back to back defeats, which saw Fulham leapfrog above us into the promotion spots and Aston Villa close the gap.

One beautiful Saturday afternoon on, with the Bluebirds winning at Norwich and Fulham dropping points against Brentford, Cardiff are suddenly very much back in the ascendancy again.

The sun has been shining this week. Literally and also metaphorically speaking upon the Bluebirds.

Not that there should have been any sense of panic anyway. Cardiff may have briefly dipped to third in the table, but their game in hand away to Derby meant they still held the upper hand for me.

Irrespective of that, there were always going to be plenty of twists and turns in the closing weeks of the season and I will admit those so ready to write off Cardiff annoyed me.

It got my back up because I felt it was disrespectful to Neil Warnock and his players, almost overlooking everything they had done this season to put themselves in a position to challenge for the Premier League in the first place.

I guess that's typical of the short-termism that exists in modern day football. Lose two games on the trot and the wheels have come off, you're not as good as you were any more.

That's okay if you're viewing it from afar, which many were as they gleefully expected Fulham, they of the beautiful football, to kick on in second place and seal promotion.

Those of us close to Cardiff City, however, knew this team were never going to go away without a fight.

So what if Fulham suddenly went above us? There is a special togetherness about this Cardiff team — including their brilliant fans — which pretty much guaranteed they would bounce back instantly.

There's a saying in football about how you react to defeat being the most important thing, not defeat itself.

Cardiff had responded to four losses in succession over Christmas by winning eight on the bounce themselves. This time they responded to setbacks against Villa and Wolves with a wonderful effort at Norwich, a win made even sweeter when Brentford held Fulham to a 1-1 scoreline a couple of hours afterwards.

This is a team effort, and by that I mean everybody. The manager, his staff, the players and those fans who are there through thick and thin - whether it's a 50-mile journey, a 300-mile trip, a Saturday afternoon game or a Tuesday night. They get in their cars, on their coaches, whatever the day, whatever the time of year, and offer their stoic support even though it means arriving home at silly o'clock.

The very fact Cardiff haven't scored many goals this season, tend to rely upon clean sheets and sheer hard work, demonstrates how much of a battle the season has been. The backing from those fans, home and away, spurs on the players when times have got tough.

You don't get Championship campaigns where everything goes smoothly for 46 matches. There will be downward spikes at times, but the key is having the character to come through that.

This Cardiff team have that quality in abundance.

Over to Fulham, I say. It's one thing when you are chasing, chasing, chasing, as they have done so magnificently since the turn of the year.

If you don't quite make it, people will say 'Credit where it's due, they made a great fist of it' and onto the play-offs.

But suddenly when you are in the top two, it's an entirely different mind-set and pressure.

Warnock talked brilliantly of Cardiff suddenly becoming the hunter rather than the hunted. As Fulham had been previously.

Suddenly they were the hunted, how would they cope with that? From what I saw against Brentford, not particularly well. Pressure - it does funny things to you in football.

The onus is on Fulham again on Friday when they go to Millwall, who are flying under Neil Harris. This is not an easy game and I wouldn't be surprised to see them slip-up 2-1.

Millwall are in the play-off places themselves, they're at home, it's a London derby, a clash of styles. Fulham could well come a cropper.

Then it's Cardiff's turn 24 hours on when Warnock's men host Nottingham Forest. It could be a little more tense than we think, but Cardiff will prevail 2-1.

I don't wish to tempt fate, but that sequence of results would mean another Bluebirds win at Derby on Tuesday night would guarantee promotion.

I'm not sure it will pan out like that, Derby in front of a capacity home crowd will be a really tough game for Cardiff.

But these are the facts: If Cardiff win their remaining games, and Fulham win theirs too, then it's the Bluebirds who will join Wolves in the Premier League.

As was the case anyway last weekend, even though Fulham were temporarily in second.

Fulham need Cardiff to slip up somewhere and that's a beautiful position for Warnock and his players to be in,

With four games to go, surely you can't ask for anything more than being in control of your promotion destiny.

Which Cardiff City most certainly are.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-citys-immense-character-fulhams-14547562

filham

Sess. has gone eight games without a goal, is he in need of a rest.

KJS

Quote from: WhiteJC on April 19, 2018, 07:39:44 AM

Tottenham in extended talks to sign goal machine, BBC pundit one of many convinced deal is done – report

Tottenham have held extensive talks this season about signing Fulham sensation Ryan Sessegnon, according to a report.

The Daily Mail claim Spurs are strong favourites to land the 17-year-old left-sided ace, who was named Championship player of the season at the EFL awards on Sunday.

It is said that negotiations have taken place this season and former Fulham striker and BBC pundit Leroy Rosenior is one of many who believe a deal has already been done for Sessegnon to move to White Hart Lane.

Sessegnon has been in sensational form for Fulham, scoring 14 goals in 46 appearances in 2017-18, including 10 in 12 matches to kickstart a golden run for the team at the end of last year.

His performances over the last two seasons have led to a stampede for his services, with Liverpool, Manchester United, Real Madrid and Barcelona all interested in prising him from Craven Cottage.

In addition to player of the year, he also won the Championship's young player of the season and apprentice of the year awards, and was named in the Championship team of the season.

Football Insider verdict:

If any Championship player, young gun or otherwise, can make the step up from England's second tier to the Premier League, it is the brilliant Sessegnon, a left back turned left midfield goal machine with the world at his feet. He has made the Championship team of the season in his first two campaigns – aged just 16 and 17 – and is now the undisputed best player in the division. Naturally, that doesn't mean the left footer could play for a Champions League calibre club like Spurs every week, and Sessegnon must be careful to leave a team where he is the first name on the teamsheet for one where he won't be. But Tottenham would be a sound move for the wonderkid and Mauricio Pochettino the right manager to develop one of the outstanding talents to emerge from the English game in a generation. If indeed it is a done deal, Spurs fans should be giddy with excitement.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/tottenham-in-talks-to-sign-player-of-the-year/

Yet another fabricated story from this website, If what they say was true then Fulham FC will take action against Spurs for Tapping up a player under contract!