watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wenger

Started by alfie, April 20, 2018, 10:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfie

Breaking news he will be leaving Arsenal at end of season, if Slav leaves we could always get him
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Lighthouse

Still hold the view that despite everything they under achieved. But when I mentioned this a few years ago people listed all their achievements. In the end I think many Arsenal fans will thank Wenger for his wonderful work but will admit things should have been better.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Riverside

Quote from: alfie on April 20, 2018, 10:13:26 AM
Breaking news he will be leaving Arsenal at end of season, if Slav leaves we could always get him

More likely that Joka would go to Arsenal than us getting Wenger
And I think Joka would do a great job at Arsenal
But the big clubs do not experiment now so I think we should be safe ......

Milo

There is a real chance that Arsenal will take Slav.

Same playing style. Arsenal currently 6th so hardly much to lose. Expectations lowered.

bugsy

Would like to see Wenger manage England in the near future.

Carborundum

If he has any further managerial ambitions, it would seem better for them to be at international level and not for England please.  I have to admire someone who can hang in there for 22 years in a high pressure situation.  But his stubbornness to be proven right has been Arsenal's limiting factor for a decade or more.  Of the mega money clubs in the UK, Manchester United and Chelsea both adopted a build-from-the-back approach.  Arsenal and Liverpool were more "never mind defence, we will just score more".  Look how that's turned out over the past 15 years.  Spurs and Man City have strong defences.  They are miles ahead of Mr Wenger's team.

hovewhite

The last of his like.

F(f)CUK

If Arsenal had not achieved the Champions League year on year, they would have been bankrupted by the new stadium.  This consistency was a fantastic achievement and yet Arsene is ridiculed for not winning the league more.  However Arsenal could have been Leeds if it had not been for him.  The way some Arsenal supporters disrespect him is disgraceful.

Andy S

I worked with a guy 6 years ago that said he should go then. He will probably be happy today but what in 6 months

General

Anyone who sustains that level of performance whilst not compromising his values and ethical approach for that long should only be lauded and respected. A hard feat and one which will unlikely be outdone at this level.

Admittedly considering he pmanaged 10 more games then Fergus on and fergie won 10 more titles in his time probably says a lot.. although perhaps more about how well fergie did.

Not many managers win more than 3 titles. Only out of top 4 once In 22 years.. for Fulham to do the same I'd be elated.

There's no doubt the impact he's had on arsenal is monumental.

ron

Quote from: F(f)CUK on April 20, 2018, 12:47:10 PM
If Arsenal had not achieved the Champions League year on year, they would have been bankrupted by the new stadium.  This consistency was a fantastic achievement and yet Arsene is ridiculed for not winning the league more.  However Arsenal could have been Leeds if it had not been for him.  The way some Arsenal supporters disrespect him is disgraceful.

Absolutely agree

WhiteJC

Charlton fans were happy when Curbishly left, the same could happen to Arsenal

St Eve

Wenger was fantastic for Arsenal

PutneyPhil

Arsenal were my boyhood club, and I started following them again as an adult in the early years of Wenger's reign. I finally joined the Wenger Out gang this season - I was always OK with Champions League every year rather than titles until it became clear that the squad was consistently underperforming and getting softer and softer in approach. Fulham this season are playing like Arsenal in the golden Wenger era - which means a flair going forward is matched by a doggedness in defence. Wenger had that originally because he introduced fluency on top of a legacy "1-0" defensive mindset.

The last game I went to at the Emirates was the second leg Europa match against Ostersunds and it was absolutely dire. Except for my mate who came with me who's a lifelong Ipswich fan and said he thought the standard of football was rather high....  :dft012:

Twig

Wenger deserves enormous respect, not just amongst Arsenal fans but from all of us in the UK who enjoy football.  Let's not forget how revolutionary his methods were when he first arrived, he was a moderniser who was much copied.

The end of his era has been coming for a while and yes, he should probably have left after the last FA Cup success.  However, those Arsenal supporters who have complained loudly, vilified him and campaigned against him were sadly misguided.  They should remember the "boring Arsenal" tag of the past; Arsenal under Wenger were always watchable and a footballing side respected by most neutrals.

Bassey the warrior

Over his Arsenal career he's been a visionary and very consistent considering the budget. But the last 5 years have been forgettable. He should've gone out on a high.

General

Quote from: Stefan The Viking (The Moose) on April 20, 2018, 03:12:14 PM
Over his Arsenal career he's been a visionary and very consistent considering the budget. But the last 5 years have been forgettable. He should've gone out on a high.

He hasn't left yet and could still go out on a high. Perhaps the players will stand up and be counted. It'll be quite a spectacle around the Emirates between now and his final game in charge.

I don't think people, especially arsenal fans, really understand the job he's achieved and under the circumstances he's been dealt. Moving stadium and getting the club in and paying off its debts and being sustainable was clearly always something he was tasked with overseeing and the club had to make compromises with their ambitions during that period which they did in selling key players for a huge profit.. to have sustained as top 4 finish and champions league football throughout it all whilst having a model where he was required to sell his best assets is a phenomenal achievement. Can't imagine any managers in business would put up with their best performers constantly leaving and still stay around.

He clearly loved the club and my only disappointment is that fulham weren't in the league to witness his final season in charge.

RaySmith

Crowds were dropping, some of the fans deliberately boycotting games, and I heard it said that this was the thing that finally made them decide to get rid of Wenger, who seems to have been nudged into his decision.

I suppose it's true that Arsenal have underachieved, but Arsenal fans do come across as ungrateful. I remember going to Highbury when England legend Billy Wright was manager - and they hated him.

I wonder who would be the  modern equivalent to George Graham, one of their most successful managers - Sam Allardyce? How would they feel is he became their manager! Though apparently Brendan Rogers is a bookies' favourite.

Burt

3 premier league titles and 7 FA Cup final wins in 22 years. I would be happy with that  :dft011:

Twig

Quote from: Burt on April 20, 2018, 06:24:21 PM
3 premier league titles and 7 FA Cup final wins in 22 years. I would be happy with that  :dft011:

Me too!