more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Slavisa

Started by Andy S, April 21, 2018, 01:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holders

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on April 22, 2018, 12:21:15 AM
I lived in Iran for 2 years amongst the locals and learned hardly any Farsi.
I lived in Spanish speaking Cadiz and learned very little Spanish
I lived in Bournemouth for a year and learned minimal Dorsetish

Don't you think that was rather a lost opportunity, though? There's no way to learn a language like living amongst it.

Have you had to learn American or do they understand English if you shout loud enough?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

toshes mate

Quote from: Holders on April 22, 2018, 09:49:13 AM
Don't you think that was rather a lost opportunity, though? There's no way to learn a language like living amongst it.

Have you had to learn American or do they understand English if you shout loud enough?
The jocular last line is a profound comment upon how languages are used to pursue nationality and cultural issues - and it is a really shrewd remark.  I think we should all at least try to learn one foreign language if only to realise just how difficult it is to achieve any kind of fluency. 

Holders

Quote from: toshes mate on April 22, 2018, 10:07:20 AM

The jocular last line is a profound comment upon how languages are used to pursue nationality and cultural issues - and it is a really shrewd remark.  I think we should all at least try to learn one foreign language if only to realise just how difficult it is to achieve any kind of fluency. 

Unless one has a flair for language (and some lucky people do) it's really hard to achieve any kind of adequacy, let alone fluency, unless one lives among it. I go to a non English-speaking country about one week a year and it takes all that time to get anything like the accent back. Forming sentences, even correctly, is all very well but the accent is a large part of it in terms of comprehension. I hate people replying in English as soon as they hear my accent.

We can get away with being lazy because English is so many other nationalities' second language because it's so widespread: in the former Empire and the fact that a version is spoken in America with its huge film and TV influence is a major contributor. How many foreigners speak English with an American accent? Many of them in my experience.  If you book into a hotel in Germany, for example they'll direct you to the "elevator", notwithstanding that the German for lift is lift, as in English! I actually rather like the onomatopoeic Finnish "hissi".
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Bill2

Long may we hear his broken English talking about Fulham.

Forever Fulham

Quote from: Holders on April 22, 2018, 10:50:37 AM
Quote from: toshes mate on April 22, 2018, 10:07:20 AM

Unless one has a flair for language (and some lucky people do) it's really hard to achieve any kind of adequacy, let alone fluency, unless one lives among it. I go to a non English-speaking country about one week a year and it takes all that time to get anything like the accent back. Forming sentences, even correctly, is all very well but the accent is a large part of it in terms of comprehension. I hate people replying in English as soon as they hear my accent.

We can get away with being lazy because English is so many other nationalities' second language because it's so widespread: in the former Empire and the fact that a version is spoken in America with its huge film and TV influence is a major contributor. How many foreigners speak English with an American accent? Many of them in my experience.  If you book into a hotel in Germany, for example they'll direct you to the "elevator", notwithstanding that the German for lift is lift, as in English! I actually rather like the onomatopoeic Finnish "hissi".

So true, Holders.  English has become the international language of commerce. 

Jamie88

I have heard that its Javier Perreira that is really the man in charge during training and that Slav is fairly quiet

BestOfBrede

Quote from: Bill2 on April 22, 2018, 11:15:10 AM
Long may we hear his broken English talking about Fulham.
0001.jpeg