watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Millwall tactics

Started by Bill2, April 21, 2018, 11:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill2

I think everyone expected a tough game last night and Millwall certainly provided it but there were two things from Millwall which were obviously tactical but no one seems to have mentioned and I think goes against the spirit of the game.

The first was when their No9 stood on the keeper for the corners, now I expect that to happen to block the keeper getting out to the ball but he was seriously impeding Marcus by holding his shirt and physically backing into him trying to push him off balance. He was never anywhere near the ball and it was purely a foul on the keeper. The ref certainly picked up on the first won, not sure about the second.

Then there was two incidents where play was stopped due to injuries, Targett and Fredericks, which the ref started with a dropped ball to Millwall. Under normal situations this ball is then returned to the goalkeeper from wherever the ref stopped play. Yet in both of these occasions the ball was put out of play, one for a goal kick then for a throw in, which Millwall then went on to defend meaning that although Fulham not only had lost ground but Millwall had an advantage.

In the case of the first issue the player should get a yellow card and and see how keen he is on doing that again and in the case of the second if this sort of unsporting behaviour spreads perhaps the dropped ball should be given to the team who had possession when the ref stopped play or put the ball out to allow treatment. 

DevonFFC

Millwall also at every break down in play would kick the ball away from player to stop Fulham taking a quick throw or kick. It worked for 45 mins

Woolly Mammoth

Absolutely, and all I can say on those points is.....
Good show Fulham, jolly good show.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

millsy

I noticed this too and complained at the time. Especially on the second occasion when Tom knocked the ball out near the halfway line. Instead of punting to our keeper they chose instead to kick for touch some 25 yards into our half, so we were effectively pinned further back. Just very poor sportsmanship.

Also, though no really vicious tackles, there were many, many late challenges and lots of bumping when the ball was in the air, which it was

Woolly Mammoth

and we still won 3 0 on their patch with the majority of possession, there is a God.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Snibbo

Quote from: millsy on April 21, 2018, 11:57:49 AM

Also, though no really vicious tackles, there were many, many late challenges and lots of bumping when the ball was in the air, which it was
Cahill's assault of Fred was vicious

millsy

Agreed but can't call that a tackle, more a forearm smash!

millsy

By the way, credit where due, thought the ref was very good last night.

Arthur

Quote from: millsy on April 21, 2018, 12:57:22 PM
By the way, credit where due, thought the ref was very good last night.

Because he wasn't intimidated by the crowd (which, of course, we'd expect - he's refereed plenty of bigger games than that), it always felt as if he had control of the game and, from our point of view, I think this was important.

Bill2

Quote from: Statto on April 21, 2018, 01:07:05 PM
Talk of being "physical", "energetic" etc basically  means a team is actually just sh1te and making up for it by trying really hard and/or cheating

Millwall were no exception, looked like a bottom half team IMO and much worse than the other teams around the top 6 including Brentford (hate to say that)

A lot of people are saying they had the better of the first half but they didn't, they just showed our weakness defending crosses a few times in the first 20-30 minutes. But after that they were knackered, defending deep and letting us control the game. Remember We also hit the bar just before half time.

And had Johansen let Sessegnon take the shot he scuffed wide early In the second half, it would have been 4-0
:plus one: