watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sad Demise Of Some Teams.

Started by Mince n Tatties, April 22, 2018, 01:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

Chesterfield who not so long ago were robbed of victory in the FA Cup semi final against Middlesbrough,(today's technology would have shown it to be over the line) will play in National league next season,and Torquay and Chester are relegated from that to the 6th tier.
Scares me that it could have happened to us at one time.

Holders

We were so close.

Many of the teams of my youth are no longer in the FL: Newport, Aldershot, Workington, Barrow, Bradford PA, Gateshead, Oxford Utd, Torquay - even Grimsby whom we played in the Div.3 play-offs not so long ago.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

F(f)CUK

I can remember wanting Stevenage Borough to win the conference as their ground had been deemed unfit for the football league.

SP

Gutted for Torquay, decent ground & a great away-day or weekend.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Which brings us to the question of whether some 'big clubs' have an automatic right to occupy the top league.
I remember when Man City were in the third tier , Sunderland are slipping away, both Shef Weds and United, and Leeds  all have great histories.
We were promoted to the old First Division in 1958/59 and it was not until the following season that Liverpool joined us for the first time ever. They have not looked back since.
I could go on about Luton, Coventry City, Northampton Town,  Blackpool, Portsmouth, and even Bradford City who have all occupied the top level in the past.

Only the supporters of these teams can tell you why these things happen, with some having a far greater expectation of success than others.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Holders on April 22, 2018, 01:52:19 PM
We were so close.

Many of the teams of my youth are no longer in the FL: Newport, Aldershot, Workington, Barrow, Bradford PA, Gateshead, Oxford Utd, Torquay - even Grimsby whom we played in the Div.3 play-offs not so long ago.

I think you may find Oxford United are still lurking around in Division One. 
But York City went through the trap door along with Scarborough not that long ago.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Slaphead in Qatar

My home town team Coventry won the Cup in 1987 - now trying to get a play off place in league 2.

Ruined by their owners SISU.

Holders

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 22, 2018, 02:26:25 PM
We were so close.

I think you may find Oxford United are still lurking around in Division One. 
But York City went through the trap door along with Scarborough not that long ago.

Maybe I meant Cambridge Utd, I remember us beating them 4-0.

Lighthouse

But then you also have the opposite happening where teams who we would traditionally think of lower league clubs make it to the Prem. Bournemouth for instance have never been a fashionable club. Suddenly they were in the Prem. Brighton is another. Teams change over the years. Some are taken over by well meaning idiots who have no idea how to run a football club. Others just have simple bad luck. While others suddenly find a formula for success.

Sad seeing so many teams I saw no longer in the league. But then clubs I never expected to do well are in the Prem.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Holders

The change came about when they did away with re-election in favour of simple relegation.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Holders on April 22, 2018, 02:39:59 PM
The change came about when they did away with re-election in favour of simple relegation.

That's right, it was the old pals act amongst the Chairmen when it came to voting, it was a closed shop.
But Oxford United broke the mould when I think they replaced Barrow in Furness but cannot be sure. 
Going back to Cambridge United, the last time I looked at the Sunday Mail which was five minutes ago Cambridge United were half way up Division 2.

Never forget your Roots.

Holders

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 22, 2018, 02:49:06 PM

That's right, it was the old pals act amongst the Chairmen when it came to voting, it was a closed shop.
But Oxford United broke the mould when I think they replaced Barrow in Furness but cannot be sure. 
Going back to Cambridge United, the last time I looked at the Sunday Mail which was five minutes ago Cambridge United were half way up Division 2.

Oh well, one of them must have got relegated out of the league and made their way back then without me noticing!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Holders on April 22, 2018, 02:51:23 PM

Oh well, one of them must have got relegated out of the league and made their way back then without me noticing!

I think it may have been Cambridge, about 5 years ago, it could be longer, time goes so quick these days.
Talking of Cambridge both them and Oxford reached the Boat Race Final again this year, that's incredible.

Never forget your Roots.

Holders

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 22, 2018, 02:59:22 PM
Quote from: Holders on April 22, 2018, 02:51:23 PM

I think it may have been Cambridge, about 5 years ago, it could be longer, time goes so quick these days.
Talking of Cambridge both them and Oxford reached the Boat Race Final again this year, that's incredible.

I think I get confused because both of them are newcomers to the league in recent times.

ffcne

We were so close.

Grimsby still in League 2

Holders

Quote from: ffcne on April 22, 2018, 04:37:48 PM
We were so close.

Grimsby still in League 2

Didn't they get bombed out completely though?

Mince n Tatties

I remember the Chesterfield semi final with Boro,the ball was well over the line,would have been only 3rd tier team to reach FA Cup final,tragic that they've gone.
A few others not even in National league,Stockport, York,Darlington all down in non league.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I am delighted for the supporters of Bournemouth and Brighton that they are in the Premiership, but I wonder what the true feelings of their money grabbing opponents are.
If leagues were decided by ground capacity neither of these would have ever made the premiership, and we would not have been playing Burton Albion, but thankfully it us what happens on the pitch that counts, coupled with the shrewd action of their directors.
The less said about Wolves present position the better!

General

We were so close.

Oxford utd are still around.

BedsFFC

Is there any bigger fall from grace as experienced by our illustrious delusional neighbours from the Bush. As I understand it, at some point they regulary played in front of nearly 100'000 people and were the cream of Europe. Many of the world's top talents graced the hallowed turf.

Now, look at them. Slumming in the lower reaches of the second tier of English football barely able to reach double figures of 1000's in loyal fans banging round a ramshackle of a stadium in the middle of a housing estate. Demises do not get bigger than that