watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Rodney Marsh

Started by georgiajohn, April 23, 2018, 01:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

georgiajohn

Will apologize if post is to long. Yesterday I went to see my grand son play in his Under 16 game (football soccer), the weather was really bad raining and very windy. You probably think that is not bad, well it is bad for this time of year where I live, a town called Marietta  about 16 miles North West of Atlanta, the game was being played on fake turf, the county have just installed it because of days just like this one, you see in this part of the World if it rains games are ninety per cent of the time called off, the turf cannot handle it.

In landscaping the fields on this particular field they have made a level several feet above the actual field for viewing, and as i sat there with my umbrella blowing and the rain pouring down and the temps dropping it took me back to the days when I was a lad at the cottage on the riverside, back in the dark ages.One of the parents was standing next to me, he is from Chile so he knows the game, and I mentioned that it was very common to be standing with the Thames behind me getting blown all over the place and soaked, but some of the best games I ever witnessed at the Cottage were in these conditions.

Now this is where Rodney Marsh comes into it, is there anyone out there who can rememebr a very dark and wet Friday night, yes Friday night at the cottage, we were playing Blackburn rovers, and they were winning either 1 - 0 or 2 - 1, Marsh was having one of those games he could have, he had done nothing and we were getting onto to him really bad. The game was winding down and he got the ball in the corner and he started to juggle it with his back to the goal, he did an over head kick the ball went up got caught in the wind and went in. They kicked off he somehow got the ball within a minute and just drilled in it from at least 25 yards, they kicked off again and the ref blew for time, the rovers and to be honest us could not believe what had just happened.

I then tried to to describe Marsh to this parent, and to be honest it is really hard to describe someone like Marsh to anybody today, he was a player who loved the game, he loved the crowds good or bad he fed off of them, he could be a genius one moment and awful the next, but he indeed had that very rare quality where he could change a game in a split second.

Like I said sorry this post is so long, but if there is someone as old as me are my memories of that night correct.

bill taylors apprentice

Friday 9th April 1965
Half time 0-1
Full time won 3-2
Robson, Haynes & Marsh our scorers.

hovewhite

I was there as a 8 year old remember the crowd on Marsh's back.he was a genius.

Woolly Mammoth

Brilliant,  great memories of a great English footballer and character.
The day he picked up the ball stuffed it under his shirt and ran down the pitch with it always makes me chuckle.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

sunburywhite

He was picked by Alf Ramsey for England and in a team talk before the game and Alf told him they all had to work harder. "Rodney you in particular," he said in his accent. Then he said: "if you don't work hard I'm going to pull you off at half time." And Marsh said: "Christ, at Man City all we get is a cup of tea and an orange."
That was the last time he played for England
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Lighthouse

In those days every club seemed to have at least one type of player like that. Not as skilful as Marsh perhaps but certainly the one player who could turn a game in one moment or just disappear for 90 minutes. Now those type of players are few and far between. The entertainer has left the football pitch and the coached team has come on.

I saw many of the great entertainers and have mentioned before that the best entertainment was watching Best and Marsh for us against Hereford.  But they often didn't  turned up other than to put their kit on.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

In the Enclosure

The juggling trick that you describe was also performed by Alan Clarke by the corner flag at the riverside Putney end before the riverside stand was built. Defender was trying to kick him whilst facing the corner flag when Clarke suddenly hoofed a massive overhead kick back over his shoulder. Wind caught the ball and it sailed over the keepers head into the net by the far post . Guess he intended it as a cross - think he scored about 23 goals the year we were relegated.

filham

Marsh was of course a top entertainer and jus look how the gate increased the season  the aging Best and Marsh turned out for Fulham. The fanes just loved it.

Forever Fulham

I listen to him on my drive to work in the morning.  He has a show on XM/Sirius satellite radio called "Grumpy Pundits" with Tommy Smythe.  He's told a few Fulham stories but mostly he dwells on Man City.  Some of his stories about Chopper Harris are priceless. 

MarryatsChild

I can recall another remarkable game versus Blackburn Rovers involving Rodney March for different reasons. Can anyone cast their mind back to the 8th March1965, evening kick off. Rodney was in one of his dribbling modes and would not shoot or pass to the total frustration of all supporters. One zany run entirely in the opponents penalty box lasted for 2 minutes plus and then fizzed out to nothing. The result 0-0.My Dad, an Uncle and I trooped off to the Bedford Arms in Dawes Road in near despair at Rodney. We had a couple of pints and a few prawns in shells and went to our respective homes. My dear Dad never went to another FFC game as he had a heart attack and died the following early morning aged 46, I was nineteen.
I now go with my sons and grandsons as and when will still can. We still sit as close to the spot where our large family group always stood and I still relate to the new generations all the old stories.

Barrett487

For some reason, whenever i think of Marsh..... Hereford pops in to my thoughts.

FulhamKC

Please enlighten us newbies. Why Marsh and Hereford?

kiwian

Go onto youtube, then you'll see why.
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

sunburywhite

Quote from: kiwian on April 24, 2018, 05:51:25 AM
Go onto youtube, then you'll see why.
Don't know about You Tube but Google says

Renault Dealer | Hereford | Callow Marsh
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Neil D

Quote from: sunburywhite on April 23, 2018, 04:14:14 PM
He was picked by Alf Ramsey for England and in a team talk before the game and Alf told him they all had to work harder. "Rodney you in particular," he said in his accent. Then he said: "if you don't work hard I'm going to pull you off at half time." And Marsh said: "Christ, at Man City all we get is a cup of tea and an orange."
That was the last time he played for England
Apocryphal, perhaps, but funny nonetheless.

bog

Alf Ramsey never used to do humour. I used to love watching Rodney play. My first thought is always of his debut v Villa. We won 1-0 and he scored with a 30 yard rocket at the Putney End. He didn't play again for ages!!! Farce! I was mortified when he was sold to QPHA.

092.gif

MikeW

"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

gang

Quote from: bog on April 24, 2018, 08:23:03 AM
Alf Ramsey never used to do humour. I used to love watching Rodney play. My first thought is always of his debut v Villa. We won 1-0 and he scored with a 30 yard rocket at the Putney End. He didn't play again for ages!!! Farce! I was mortified when he was sold to QPHA.

092.gif

I can understand being upset when he was sold but the transfer fee went toward buying Alan Clarke from Walsall who was probably more productive over 90 minutes.

FulhamKC

NewYorkYank

Perhaps it was Rodney Marsh who originated Fulham's connection to the US.  I can recall watching him play for the Tampa Bay Rowdies,who were big rivals to the New York Cosmos in the old NASL forty years ago.