more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Cahill gets three game ban! Quite right

Started by ChesterTheTabby, April 25, 2018, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterTheTabby

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43880005

Absolutely deserved. Get off it ya ancient thug.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Fernhurst

Yeah, filthy foul.

Out for three games which will include first game in play offs (if they make it).
Hope his club take that into consideration when announcing their retained list.

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

We Are Premier League

Must admit that Mitro was a bit lucky. I think he was very close to the boarder, wouldn't have been outrageous to give him something as well...

lasse vigen

Completely agree that he definitely deserved red, and the three match ban, however disagree with many of the sentiments regarding his character.
Tim Cahill has become a genuine icon at two clubs over the past 20 years, not for his thuggery, but because of his genuine passion for whoever he plays for and an incredible jump, timing and accuracy in the box. From all accounts he is a lovely bloke too.
Adding to this, he has pretty much single handedly helped to put football on the map in his home country
. Played at three world cups and scored some world class goals at crucial times.
Sorry for the rant, but feel the guy is being misrepresented on here because of what can only be described as a moment of madness. We can praise Mitro till the cows come home, but his actions on Cahill after the event didn't look great either. The fact Cahill didn't make more of the incident probably saved Mitro from further punishment to be honest.

BedsFFC

Quote from: lasse vigen on April 25, 2018, 11:59:58 PM
Completely agree that he definitely deserved red, and the three match ban, however disagree with many of the sentiments regarding his character.
Tim Cahill has become a genuine icon at two clubs over the past 20 years, not for his thuggery, but because of his genuine passion for whoever he plays for and an incredible jump, timing and accuracy in the box. From all accounts he is a lovely bloke too.
Adding to this, he has pretty much single handedly helped to put football on the map in his home country
. Played at three world cups and scored some world class goals at crucial times.
Sorry for the rant, but feel the guy is being misrepresented on here because of what can only be described as a moment of madness. We can praise Mitro till the cows come home, but his actions on Cahill after the event didn't look great either. The fact Cahill didn't make more of the incident probably saved Mitro from further punishment to be honest.
I agree on Cahill

The Rock

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 25, 2018, 07:15:36 PM
Dilly Dilly

Why Dilly Dilly. Everyone is using this term it seems. I'll not argue the ban.

Xoxo,

The rock

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rock on April 26, 2018, 12:30:45 AM
Dilly Dilly

Xoxo,

The rock

Have you seen the advert on the TV ?

Never forget your Roots.

The Rock

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 26, 2018, 12:41:19 AM
Dilly Dilly

Xoxo,

The rock

Yes, it was ok. After the 100th time hearing it, I'd almost rather listen to Warnock gob for six hours straight, but not quite.

Twig

Quote from: The Rock on April 26, 2018, 01:45:26 AM
Dilly Dilly

Xoxo,

The rock

Yes, it was ok. After the 100th time hearing it, I'd almost rather listen to Warnock gob for six hours straight, but not quite.

My sentiments too.  Very tired of hearing it.

Twig

Think that is a fair and balanced perspective.

Holders

Quote from: Twig on April 26, 2018, 09:03:38 AM

Think that is a fair and balanced perspective.

Agreed. The retrospective ban actually achieves very little, apart from not allowing a bad foul to go unpunished and if the ref had blown up at the time the Mitro episode wouldn't have happened.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

ffcne

toshes mate

To be fair to Cahill he did admit to the charge of violent conduct and has therefore accepted due punishment.  He shouldn't be judged too harshly on just one event given the career he has had.

ToodlesMcToot

I saw the Cahill foul on the television broadcast and the punishment was/is deserved.

While I was fixated on Cahill's elbow, I completely missed Mitro's retaliation which appeared to be equally egregious. How on Earth did he escape a similar ban? Was there any explanation?
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Holders

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on April 26, 2018, 02:29:28 PM
I saw the Cahill foul on the television broadcast and the punishment was/is deserved.

While I was fixated on Cahill's elbow, I completely missed Mitro's retaliation which appeared to be equally egregious. How on Earth did he escape a similar ban? Was there any explanation?

He didn't touch him and if the ref had blown up as he should have done then it wouldn't have been "necessary".

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Twig on April 26, 2018, 09:03:08 AM
Quote from: The Rock on April 26, 2018, 01:45:26 AM
Dilly Dilly

Xoxo,

The rock

My sentiments too.  Very tired of hearing it.

Yes same here I agree, but we should wait until we have heard it over a thousand times, before passing judgement, as it may still grow on us, a bit like Ivy on the side of a wall.

Never forget your Roots.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Holders on April 26, 2018, 03:23:44 PM

He didn't touch him and if the ref had blown up as he should have done then it wouldn't have been "necessary".

The only angle I've seen of the Cahill/Mitro "interaction" was too far and at the back of Mitro. Couldn't see if there was contact, only that it appeared Mitro's elbow/arm went up and Cahill went down. So Cahill was trying to even it up by flopping and having Mitro thrown out as well, I take it?
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Holders

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on April 26, 2018, 03:42:40 PM
Quote from: Holders on April 26, 2018, 03:23:44 PM

The only angle I've seen of the Cahill/Mitro "interaction" was too far and at the back of Mitro. Couldn't see if there was contact, only that it appeared Mitro's elbow/arm went up and Cahill went down. So Cahill was trying to even it up by flopping and having Mitro thrown out as well, I take it?

That's the only angle I've seen and I agree it was a way away, but I've looked at it several times and, to me, it looks like a dismissive, contemptuous flap with associated donkey-kick. Really silly but, unless they had another angle they can't be sure from that if he made contact so didn't penalise him or, if they did have another angle it may have supported my perception that he didn't touch him.

Either way, it was really stupid of him.

This affair does beg the question that any retrospective ban should be for more than 3 games inasmuch as the offending player's team did not lose the benefit of him, had he received a red at the game.

simplyfulham