watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Khan buying Wembley??!

Started by Ordar, April 26, 2018, 01:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

Can we just acknowledge the absurdity of this...

The man is buying another countries national stadium outright in order to promote his NFL team and secure their interests in the country. This is London one of the greatest and most expensive cities in the world.. Wembley one of the most iconic stadium and he wants to buy it so they can consolidate their position and play a handful of games here. Talk about putting your money where your mouth is.

If he is committed to fulham in the same manner, then I am extremely excited for the club's future. If we're just a secondary thing on the side though I'd be disappointed and also very wary. As one of his reasons for buying fulham was to aid the jaguars alsopeal in the UK.

That all being said, if he is serious about fulham to the same extent. Having that even stronger connection to the U.S will be something and I'd be fascinated to see how fulham see benefits of sorts around the purchase.

Steeeeeeeeeed

Just thought it worth posting a short video following Mr Khan about for a few days September 2017.

https://youtu.be/2ON_nC4v3bY

Has a bit of Fulham, and his NFL  thing too.

Milo

Quote from: corbs83 on April 26, 2018, 01:13:18 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-5657091/FA-primed-SELL-Wembley-Stadium-astonishing-800m-deal.html

"Quite how that impacts on Chelsea, who have considered playing at Wembley for four years while Stamford Bridge is being redeveloped, and Tottenham, who have NFL games as a key part of their business plan for their new stadium, is also unclear at this stage"

haha banter...imagine if he said "errrr, nope" to chelsea....  :005: :005: :005:

Fantastic commitment by our chairman to get one over on Chelsea  049:gif

Holders

I have to say that reading his statement to us as a Fulham fan seems more reassuring than his message to the Jacksonville NFL fans.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Cambridge Pete

He is a very astute businessman. I hope I don't regret this but feel it unlikely that this will diminish his plans for FFC. I think FFC is his "academy" for his son and seeing his reactions to our goals in the photo's  it looks like the Fulhamish has bitten him too. Lets wait and see in quiet confidence.

MJG

Statement from FST

Responding to the confirmation from Fulham FC owner Shahid Khan that he has bid to purchase Wembley from the Football Association, the Chair of Fulham Supporters' Trust, Tom Greatrex commented:

"The news of the bid from Fulham's owner for Wembley stadium is prompting interest and questions from across English football. While Shahid Khan's ambition to promote NFL in England is well known, there are particular and specific concerns relating to the impact on his stewardship of Fulham Football Club that will be at the forefront of many of our fans' minds.

"While we welcome the statement from Shahid Khan that his bid for Wembley is separate to his ownership of Fulham, it nevertheless raises a series of questions. During his time as Chairman of Fulham to date, Shahid Khan has reiterated his understanding of and appreciation for the importance of Craven Cottage, it's heritage and identity to the character of Fulham Football Club. It is important that is not diminished if his bid for Wembley is successful. At a time when we are enjoying an exciting second half and climax to the season, playing some superlative football, nobody associated with Fulham will want to be distracted by questions of future grounds, the approved plans for a new Riverside Stand and ultimately the ownership of the Club.

"The fact that Shahid Khan has issued a statement signalling his continued commitment to the Club is welcome, but there will be questions fans wish to be reassured on in the period ahead. Fulham Football Club were the first in the EFL to agree to structured dialogue with the Fulham Supporters' Trust. It is precisely in these type of circumstances that the value of that open, transparent and meaningful dialogue will be tested. We therefore ask Shahid Khan to ensure that any potential impact of his bid for Wembley in relation to Fulham is discussed with the Trust as we will fulfill our role representing Fulham fans and articulating their concerns as they arise."
Just the views of a long term fan

grandad

Quote from: Statto on April 26, 2018, 03:57:45 PM
Quote from: cmg on April 26, 2018, 02:46:43 PM
http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/april/26/chairman-statement

You couldn't hope for a clearer, more positive, statement than that.

Of course there are some who will continue to fear the worst, read between lines and concoct elaborate conspiracy theories - that is their entitlement and may they derive whatever pleasure they can from that sort of nonsense.

0001.jpeg  049:gif

+1
Where there's a will there's a wife

HamsterWheel

A London-based NFL team has always been Khans' plan. Sticking it in Wembley an excellent business decision. Not great for soccerball's future, but as every NFL london fixture has sold out one can't fault his business sense.
I think this is good for Fulham - he has to be seen as a good custodian of the club to get across the line with the Wemberley purchase.

Lighthouse

As far as Fulham are concerned I don't think it matters at all. So our Owner wants to buy another stadium in London to make sure his NFL franchise is continued to be pushed over here. He has never pretended that the NFL was not his first love. His statement clearly shows and is designed to show it will bother us as a club not one bit. As for the FA selling off stadium. Well I trust our owners more than I trust the owners of West Ham. I think it makes good sense and good luck to him.

For those who fear Wembley will be renamed or lose its iconic status. Hey where the hell have you been? It already has sold itself out and isn't that iconic anymore.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

JoelH5

Quote from: Lighthouse on April 26, 2018, 05:29:40 PM
As far as Fulham are concerned I don't think it matters at all. So our Owner wants to buy another stadium in London to make sure his NFL franchise is continued to be pushed over here. He has never pretended that the NFL was not his first love. His statement clearly shows and is designed to show it will bother us as a club not one bit. As for the FA selling off stadium. Well I trust our owners more than I trust the owners of West Ham. I think it makes good sense and good luck to him.

For those who fear Wembley will be renamed or lose its iconic status. Hey where the hell have you been? It already has sold itself out and isn't that iconic anymore.

I beg to differ. It is iconic.. Wembley is Wembley. As long as England don't get kicked out or it gets renamed like the Mercedes Arena (shudder) it should be all good. The real question. What will the FA do with the money? Reinvest it in their swimming pools? I mean grass roots football....
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Riversider

The Riverside development has seen unexplained delay after unexplained delay, today for me it's all started to make a little sense,
If we get promoted to The Premier League, I will confidentially predict that Fulham will move to Wembley whilst The Riverside Stand is built (that's if it does now get built)
This would of course speed up the building process , which makes perfect sense, but an owner having 2 stadiums in one City makes no sense,
A traditionalist like me would never leave Craven Cottage to watch us at Wembley on a permanent basis, but what does our owner care, if I'm replaced by 20,000 Man Utd, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea etc let alone all the Korean and Japanese etc
Makes no sense to buy Wembley for 10 NFL games a season but would make sense if there was 19 Premier League games a season averaging say 40,000 a game,
I feel sorry for The Jacksonville Jaguars supporters today and I'm apprehensive for all Fulham supporters to, this story couldn't have broken at a worse time for Fulham ,
Khan nailed his colours to the mast today , a London NFL team is the first and foremost priority,  hopefully a promotion this season will let him see the value in us to.

Twig

Quote from: Fernhurst on April 26, 2018, 02:35:21 PM
If he strikes a deal quickly and can move his team and take the shine right off Daniel Levy's new monster in North London and would also be an superb alternative for other NFL teams to hire on their trips across the pond.
We have seen (through attendance figures) there is a demand for NFL in London at least. Wouldn't put it past Levy to try to slow down the deal.
Interesting to see how this all plays out, but his track record with our club has been quality in my opinion so have no inclination not to believe his statement.

A small corner at the farthest reaches of Wanstead Flats would be a "superb alternative for NFL teams". IMO.

VicHalomsLovechild

The two main differences between NFL and us are. NFL teams moving to other cities is not unheard of and we have relegation and promotion here. Having a foot in both camps in the same town has to be an advantage in several areas. Combined trading facilities, ticketing etc have already been mentioned. He's ambitious, I'll give him that.

gerrys

If we get to a Wembley final......will we be considered the "home" team? :023:

Carborundum

Interesting comments.  Lots of possibilities for how this will turn out.  Here's a thought.  Who knew Wembley Stadium was up for sale?  Not many I'd guess.  In which case perhaps there will be teams of people tonight trying to work out whether it would be worth bidding even more for Wembley and pressurising the FA through the media to hold out for even more money.  Things could get quite fruity before any deal is actually done.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: Riversider on April 26, 2018, 06:07:33 PM
The Riverside development has seen unexplained delay after unexplained delay, today for me it's all started to make a little sense,
If we get promoted to The Premier League, I will confidentially predict that Fulham will move to Wembley whilst The Riverside Stand is built (that's if it does now get built)
This would of course speed up the building process , which makes perfect sense, but an owner having 2 stadiums in one City makes no sense,
A traditionalist like me would never leave Craven Cottage to watch us at Wembley on a permanent basis, but what does our owner care, if I'm replaced by 20,000 Man Utd, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea etc let alone all the Korean and Japanese etc
Makes no sense to buy Wembley for 10 NFL games a season but would make sense if there was 19 Premier League games a season averaging say 40,000 a game,
I feel sorry for The Jacksonville Jaguars supporters today and I'm apprehensive for all Fulham supporters to, this story couldn't have broken at a worse time for Fulham ,
Khan nailed his colours to the mast today , a London NFL team is the first and foremost priority,  hopefully a promotion this season will let him see the value in us to.
:dead horse:
Don't matter what he says or does - it will never be enough for some!
read his statement - are you saying he is being untruthful and it's all a cover up?

Jonaldiniho 88

Interesting what Slav knew. It must be exciting working under an owner who can buy Wembley. I can't, with a straight face pretend khan has ever spoke of or made clear he wants to make Fulham @the Man U of the south" for want of a better way of explaining. But for a manager from Serbia, to see your boss buy the home of football must make this job and club pretty attractive. I'm glad you can't buy your way out of this league, it's what makes it great, but you would want to be the manager for the stadium upgrade and hopefully promotion just to see where we could end up. No? Just my thoughts. I'd also hope that khan would tell the FA that if we don't have a Boxing Day home fixture they are getting single ply bog roll in the FA offices and boxes.

Milo

Quote from: Carborundum on April 26, 2018, 06:38:21 PM
Interesting comments.  Lots of possibilities for how this will turn out.  Here's a thought.  Who knew Wembley Stadium was up for sale?  Not many I'd guess.  In which case perhaps there will be teams of people tonight trying to work out whether it would be worth bidding even more for Wembley and pressurising the FA through the media to hold out for even more money.  Things could get quite fruity before any deal is actually done.

Geez but who can come up with £1bn?

BestOfBrede

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on April 26, 2018, 06:49:11 PM
Interesting what Slav knew. It must be exciting working under an owner who can buy Wembley. I can't, with a straight face pretend khan has ever spoke of or made clear he wants to make Fulham @the Man U of the south" for want of a better way of explaining. But for a manager from Serbia, to see your boss buy the home of football must make this job and club pretty attractive. I'm glad you can't buy your way out of this league, it's what makes it great, but you would want to be the manager for the stadium upgrade and hopefully promotion just to see where we could end up. No? Just my thoughts. I'd also hope that khan would tell the FA that if we don't have a Boxing Day home fixture they aregetting single ply bog roll in the FA offices and boxes.
Or Izal ! Remember that?