watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How do we shape up against Aston Villa?

Started by ChesterTheTabby, May 15, 2018, 09:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterTheTabby

I didn't see anything on the pitch tonight to suggest that we should be wary of Villa. Grealish is their Cairney, but Cairney is better. KMac will have Grealish in his pocket and their midfield will struggle to keep fluid.

Defensively Villa are not very quick, and I think our quick breaks will be their biggest fear. They will set their defensive pairings back a bit from the midfield and the frontmen in order to counter Sess and Freddo overlaps. I think our biggest opening will come when the LB/RB are forced out wide to contend with the expansiveness of the Wembley pitch, and in doing so that will open up the space between the CBs and the LB/RB. Exploiting that area is key and will allow for either direct shooting opportunities or pass backs to the PK area for Mitro or Johansen tap ins.

So long as we keep the central midfield of Villa bogged down, I am not too wary about their attacking threat, but Grealish, Adomah, and Snodgrass are dangerous on their day.

Thoughts?
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Milo

Quote from: maoconnor on May 15, 2018, 09:59:37 PM
I didn't see anything on the pitch tonight to suggest that we should be wary of Villa. Grealish is their Cairney, but Cairney is better. KMac will have Grealish in his pocket and their midfield will struggle to keep fluid.

Defensively Villa are not very quick, and I think our quick breaks will be their biggest fear. They will set their defensive pairings back a bit from the midfield and the frontmen in order to counter Sess and Freddo overlaps. I think our biggest opening will come when the LB/RB are forced out wide to contend with the expansiveness of the Wembley pitch, and in doing so that will open up the space between the CBs and the LB/RB. Exploiting that area is key and will allow for either direct shooting opportunities or pass backs to the PK area for Mitro or Johansen tap ins.

So long as we keep the central midfield of Villa bogged down, I am not too wary about their attacking threat, but Grealish, Adomah, and Snodgrass are dangerous on their day.

Thoughts?

Can't believe how remarkably identical both our threads were that we posted at the same time! Haha! Bizarre eh?

Fully agree!

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: Milo on May 15, 2018, 10:01:45 PM
Quote from: maoconnor on May 15, 2018, 09:59:37 PM

Thoughts?

Can't believe how remarkably identical both our threads were that we posted at the same time! Haha! Bizarre eh?

Fully agree!

And it seems we responded in kind to each other's posts. Would ya look at that!

General

I think the pace in our side and ability to retain possession would be my biggest concern as a villa fan. Hutton, Terry etc are good but on a wider space with the pace of Fredericks, sessegnon, target and Kamara with the extra speed could make it tricky. We also have quite strong players up front in mitrovic and Kamara another source to challenge their defence on.

I think we have a stronger midfield in the sense that all three have a great understanding of the other and have great technique and passing ability on the ball to play one touch football.

If villa do go behind us they do have players who could cause our defence problems.. so conscious of our high line.

Well.. the games set, the dates set, so is the team we're playing.. game on now. Time to rest up and get focused and store energy.. the game is winnable but it is a one off.

Just need to secure my ticket. Would be amazing to go to Wembley,  a final of sorts and win it. Perhaps this time we'll start creating out own luck through ability and talent.

General

Shame Johnstone got a yellow card.. could've potentially been sent off or got a retrospective red card. A shame.. as is the rules but will just have to take our chances.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: General on May 15, 2018, 10:17:40 PM
Shame Johnstone got a yellow card.. could've potentially been sent off or got a retrospective red card. A shame.. as is the rules but will just have to take our chances.

If he'd got a red we might be facing Boro, I don't fancy us against those thugs having seen the standard of refereeing in this league.

Woolly Mammoth

Take a look at the average age of our team compared to theirs, then look at the wide open spaces of Wembley. Then look at our system of play, and then theirs.
Compare the pace in our team to theirs.
We have reached Wembley in style, we finished third.
Perhaps they are the media darlings. But when that whistle blows at ko, there will be 11 v 11 and they will be on their own, with nobody to help them.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 16, 2018, 12:00:34 AM
Take a look at the average age of our team compared to theirs, then look at the wide open spaces of Wembley. Then look at our system of play, and then theirs.
Perhaps they are the media darlings. But when that whistle blows at ko, there will be 11 v 11 and they will be on their own, with nobody to help them.

HERE, HERE! Boro worried me with their pace...Villa? Absolutely not. If we play to our potential, I see a resounding victory ahead!

peter w

Quote from: maoconnor on May 16, 2018, 01:08:07 AM

HERE, HERE! Boro worried me with their pace...Villa? Absolutely not. If we play to our potential, I see a resounding victory ahead!

So, let me just get this right...Boro worried you with their pace but they didn't score once in 2 games against us (none in 4 league games against us this season), and yet you think comparing your pace against ours is going to be one of the things that will make a difference? All season all we ever hear is about how slow we are (and we're not quick definitely) and how Player A or B is going to tear Terry a new one. Except that they haven't.

Holders

If I were SJ I'd set up a training pitch at MP the same size as Wembley.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

b+w geezer

In theory it should be fairly even,  but both sides have individuals who could make the difference on their own at two or three key moments and make nonsense of that.  Apparently the Wembley pitch size is not actually larger (or only trivially) but I'd imagine the setting gives exceptional sense of exposure.

In that setting, they win on prevalence of senior pros, above all Mr Chelsea, who nevertheless also has the experience of personally blowing a key final when he was in better shape than now, and who didn't fare too well on his most recent appearance against us. Older heads on top of older legs - who knows which will count more? Meanwhile there's a kid on each side who might or might not prove immune to pressure -- huge in both camps but won't be less for Villa, that's for sure.

If it got to extra time, would fancy us more. If to penalties, not.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: peter w on May 16, 2018, 09:19:39 AM

So, let me just get this right...Boro worried you with their pace but they didn't score once in 2 games against us (none in 4 league games against us this season), and yet you think comparing your pace against ours is going to be one of the things that will make a difference? All season all we ever hear is about how slow we are (and we're not quick definitely) and how Player A or B is going to tear Terry a new one. Except that they haven't.

Nurse Nurse he is out of bed again, not interested in your biased opinion, as opposed to my level headed impartial views.
I have always wondered where cloud cuckoo land is, now I know, cause that's apparently where you live.
Explain why Villa defended nearly all the match at Borough and did the same at Villa, if Borough frighten you to death, wait until we get hold of you at Wembley.
If you were not concerned about Mighty Fulham, then why come on our Board trying to convince us that you are somehow invincible because you have JT and a handful of other kick and hope merchants.
If you do not like what you read then move on to Birmingham City's Board I hear they say nicer things about you.

Never forget your Roots.

peter w

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 16, 2018, 10:47:01 AM

Nurse Nurse he is out of bed again, not interested in your biased opinion, as opposed to my level headed impartial views.
I have always wondered where cloud cuckoo land is, now I know, cause that's apparently where you live.
Explain why Villa defended nearly all the match at Borough and did the same at Villa, if Borough frighten you to death, wait until we get hold of you at Wembley.
If you were not concerned about Mighty Fulham, then why come on our Board trying to convince us that you are somehow invincible because you have JT and a handful of other kick and hope merchants.
If you do not like what you read then move on to Birmingham City's Board I hear they say nicer things about you.

You are very strange.

We defended at Boro because we were worried by the pace of Traore, who by all accounts has been the best player in the Championship since January - just going on reports and his repeated Man of The match ratings. Once we scored early in the away leg it was down to them to break us down which they couldn't. We defended deep second half but not throughout the match and almost scored a second but for a great save from their keeper that thumped the post. We sat back and tried to catch them on the break.

last night? Well i wouldn't say we defended as the match stats will again show differently. We knew what they would do so soaked up the pressure and again looked to hit on the counter. The tactic worked against them twice and proved that it was correct to go that way. i very much doubt it will be the same against you.

As for being on your board I've been here previous to this; a good mate of mine is a Fulham fan; and I regularly chat football with football fans. If that is beyond you, whether here or in the real world, then maybe you should just leave this to the adults.

Woolly Mammoth

My Wife thinks I am strange, but that's why she married me.
Aa a Vicar you shouldn't be allowed on here. It's only for Adults.
The kind of Adult website your looking for is elsewhere.

Never forget your Roots.

filham

I would like to be assured that the days when John Terry was a threat from corners and free kicks has passed.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on May 16, 2018, 03:23:42 PM
I would like to be assured that the days when John Terry was a threat from corners and free kicks has passed.

Let's hope so.

Never forget your Roots.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: filham on May 16, 2018, 03:23:42 PM

Terry scored against us on a set piece THIS season. I suppose in the subsequent six months, he could be past it, but that seems hopeful.

otter muppet

Quote from: peter w on May 16, 2018, 11:14:00 AM

You are very strange.

We defended at Boro because we were worried by the pace of Traore, who by all accounts has been the best player in the Championship since January - just going on reports and his repeated Man of The match ratings. Once we scored early in the away leg it was down to them to break us down which they couldn't. We defended deep second half but not throughout the match and almost scored a second but for a great save from their keeper that thumped the post. We sat back and tried to catch them on the break.

last night? Well i wouldn't say we defended as the match stats will again show differently. We knew what they would do so soaked up the pressure and again looked to hit on the counter. The tactic worked against them twice and proved that it was correct to go that way. i very much doubt it will be the same against you.

As for being on your board I've been here previous to this; a good mate of mine is a Fulham fan; and I regularly chat football with football fans. If that is beyond you, whether here or in the real world, then maybe you should just leave this to the adults.
No disrespect, but you said that pace hadn't bothered you all year. I know for a fact it did for your visit to the cottage. Terry couldn't deal with the pace and, while generally competent, was run rings around.

Wembley is a new season, and who knows what will happen. But we did cause you problems with our pace, we could again.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

HatterDon

We are the best side in Europe NOT playing in a top flight league. It's going to take some serious screwing up for us to lose at Wembley.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

peter w

Quote from: otter muppet on May 17, 2018, 08:31:33 AM
Quote from: peter w on May 16, 2018, 11:14:00 AM

You are very strange.

No disrespect, but you said that pace hadn't bothered you all year. I know for a fact it did for your visit to the cottage. Terry couldn't deal with the pace and, while generally competent, was run rings around.

Wembley is a new season, and who knows what will happen. But we did cause you problems with our pace, we could again.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

There will always be games or moments in games where pace is shown to be the asset it is. I don't remember Terry being run rings around as you put it, but yes, he didn't have his best day for us that day. The game really turned on the Sessegnon goal rather than pace across the pitch although without doubt you were the better team. After that we were largely chasing the game (and shadows).

but this is a final. That game is consigned to the dustbin of what has been. A one-off game and who knows? As everyone here keeps saying - you should do us comfortably - but we're looking forward to the challenge.