watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham v Villa

Started by Milo, May 15, 2018, 09:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milo

Need some more contributions on here regarding tactics - get thinking everyone!

Fulham 442

Need some more contributions on here regarding tactics - get thinking everyone!

I'm sure the Villa bloke will be on here again with some more highly insightful observations shortly....🤣

Fulham Joe

QuoteDont you just love these opposing fans ,who go onto rivals message boards.
We dont care what you think.
Yawn,Yawn.
Usually it starts i come in peace!!

What a pathetic attitude! Why can't the guy come on here and offer his opinions and try to hear ours without getting a load of abuse?
It's a bloody football match, we're not fighting a world war.

Burt

We allow fans on here from opposition clubs not to trade abuse, but to generate conversation, debate, etc.

So far Peter W has been respectful and offering his thoughts and insights, so let's keep it to that.

Cheers

Burt

davew

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 15, 2018, 11:38:02 PM
If there is any Justice in this world when it comes to footballing teams, then we will conquer, if there is a God, after all they are the Villians.

But let us hope history doesn't repeat itself, weren't we in a similar position last year albeit just the semi final?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

davew

Quote from: peter w on May 16, 2018, 09:25:31 AM
Quote from: Carborundum on May 16, 2018, 09:15:10 AM

If we had John Terry I'd be very worried indeed.

Why? he's playing in a team that's conceded 4 less than you in the 46 games, and one less than you already in the play-offs.

And to carry-on the pointless comparisons he was part of the team at Boro whose pitch is exactly the same size as Wembley.

So, against a team with more pace (according to one of your posters), on a pitch comparable to Wembley in size, Terry was comfortable.

I think you may be over thinking this Terry weakness side of things but i guess that's due to his other footballing allegiances.
Always welcome to have supporters of other clubs appear here on this forum, especially those who offer balanced and realistic views! It should be no surprise to you that many (but not me) are anti people who have played for our neighbours, Terry has been a great signing for your team. I have been away in Spain and just watched the 2nd leg tonight (without knowing the result beforehand), not sure which team I would have preferred Fulham to play in the final, on our best form it wouldn't matter, but anybody's game Saturday week!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Carborundum

Just for the avoidance of doubt, I couldn't give a hoot whether he played for Chelsea.  He plays a deep line, probably because he is afraid of pace.  It seemed as clear as day at the Cottage.  This opened the field up nicely for our midfield and looking ahead Wembley is a big pitch. 

Huddersfield played a similarly deep line against us last season.  The bad news: they went up in the play offs.  The good news is that we mullered them twice, because we are a nightmare for teams playing a deep line. Only Villa, Burton and Sheffield United have been inclined to try it at the Cottage in recent months.

We got 88 points this season and struggled against teams pressing high.  We must be good against some tactic.  Deep line.  The thing Villa have just spent time perfecting against 'Boro.

FulhamKC

Quote from: Fulham Joe on May 16, 2018, 09:34:44 PM
QuoteDont you just love these opposing fans ,who go onto rivals message boards.
We dont care what you think.
Yawn,Yawn.
Usually it starts i come in peace!!

What a pathetic attitude! Why can't the guy come on here and offer his opinions and try to hear ours without getting a load of abuse?
It's a bloody football match, we're not fighting a world war.

:plus one:

AVFC1982

Hi all Villa fan here.

In regards to the game for me I believe it will be decided by 1 goal either way. Villa have the experience while Fulham is a more youthful team with a lot of ability also. Whoever has the better game out of Sessengon and Grealish will decide a lot. A little history lesson for all Fulham fans 26th May is the biggest day in AVFC history as it marks the date we won the European Cup in 1982 so with the game being played on 26th May hopefully a good sign for us!

082.gif

Fulham Joe

The 26th of May is also important to us, because like every other day in the calendar, it marks the day we won ferk all.
Even if we win this, all we will have won is the play off for third place.
I wonder if I can possibly live long enough to see Fulham win a major trophy?

AVFC1982

Quote from: Fulham Joe on May 17, 2018, 11:31:54 AM
The 26th of May is also important to us, because like every other day in the calendar, it marks the day we won ferk all.
Even if we win this, all we will have won is the play off for third place.
I wonder if I can possibly live long enough to see Fulham win a major trophy?

I was shocked when I found out FFC had never won a major trophy a while back. I was cheering you guys on in 2009 Uefa Cup final. I said to my friend who lives in West London before Chelsea's rise due to the money its crazy to think of the lack of trophies for West London football team's!

Jimpav

Wimbledon asides, the South London clubs haven't done much better than the West London Clubs in modern times.

You may now know this but we did win the Inter toto though one time though.

supersimmo123

Villa worry me hugely. I think they have everything required to cause us trouble. I get people say we can hurt them with pace, but being honest they hardly struggled with Traore who is one of the fastest if not the fastest in the league. They have experience throughout their spine, Terry, Jedinak, Snodgrass etc whilst they have Adomah, Kodja and Grealish who are fantastic players and for me could play at a higher level, certainly the latter. They have players who have good playoff experience and Terry as well all know has played at the highest level and Wembley is like a second home for him after his England days. Giving him some stick me help with that one though!

Any Fulham fan that thinks this will be a walk in the park is wrong. They will be equally as solid as Derby in the first leg and will provide a better threat going forward. They have a good midfield engine room must like us and I think the midfield will be what decides who wins this one on the day.

Having said all that, we have a ability to keep the ball and work it from side to side to open up the space for the midfield runners and will require our full-backs to be brave and bomb on. This was the biggest difference for me in the 2nd leg against Derby. Fredericks inparticular was up and down that right flank which allows space for AK and the Midfield to run between the lines. I think the way to win this is no different to our usual game plan, stretch the game and make the pitch as wide as possible, have TC and SJ run in-between the lines and support Mitro up top. In regards to combating Villa, stick SJ on Grealish man for man, have him follow him everywhere and KMac can just sit and anchor that back 4 as he has done all season. Important that whilst we play out from the back, try to limit all mistakes and if we need to go long ensure we win second balls all over the place. The lads need to push for 90 mins and be at there best to get us back to the big time and then we can see if this team is ready for the Prem.

Its probably as even a final as I can remember in the championship but with 2 very different styles of football being played. Very exciting and lets hope we can come out on top! COYW!

Lighthouse

Quote from: AVFC1982 on May 17, 2018, 11:20:10 AM
Hi all Villa fan here.

In regards to the game for me I believe it will be decided by 1 goal either way. Villa have the experience while Fulham is a more youthful team with a lot of ability also. Whoever has the better game out of Sessengon and Grealish will decide a lot. A little history lesson for all Fulham fans 26th May is the biggest day in AVFC history as it marks the date we won the European Cup in 1982 so with the game being played on 26th May hopefully a good sign for us!

082.gif

I think it depends on more  Cairney and Grealish. Both can orchestrate what is going on or pop up with a goal or pass. Sess can drift in and score and if we play and dominate possession than we can bring in the extra man in the area. But Villa will say the same thing. As a one off match Villa have a better chance than over two matches. Frankly anything can happen on the day. One poor tackle, one slip. I don't think we would argue that Fulham are the better footballing side. But Villa are not far behind and in Bruce has a tactician who has seen it all and has plenty of choices. Not a game for the fan of either club but for the neutral football purists it should be worth the wait.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

AVFC1982

Quote from: Lighthouse on May 17, 2018, 12:15:45 PM
Hi all Villa fan here.

082.gif

I think it depends on more  Cairney and Grealish. Both can orchestrate what is going on or pop up with a goal or pass. Sess can drift in and score and if we play and dominate possession than we can bring in the extra man in the area. But Villa will say the same thing. As a one off match Villa have a better chance than over two matches. Frankly anything can happen on the day. One poor tackle, one slip. I don't think we would argue that Fulham are the better footballing side. But Villa are not far behind and in Bruce has a tactician who has seen it all and has plenty of choices. Not a game for the fan of either club but for the neutral football purists it should be worth the wait.

Agree with this 100%. I think for us maybe the experience can push us over the line and yes Bruce has 4 promotions from the championship believe it or not which was a big reason we hired him.

AVFC1982

Quote from: Jimpav on May 17, 2018, 11:54:03 AM

Wimbledon asides, the South London clubs haven't done much better than the West London Clubs in modern times.

You may now know this but we did win the Inter toto though one time though.

We also have an Inter toto cup  :003:

And yes I find it strange that apart from North London the capital itself did not win many trophies for a long time.

NorfolkJim

I think it has all the makings of an amazing game. I'm much happier to be facing Villa as they are more likely to play football. Boro look dour. If anyone "belongs" in the top division based on history and being a big club it's Villa, but when we play right I think Fulham will come out on top this time. The fly in the ointment is if we don't perform on the day, like at Brum. I don't think I could cope with another nearly day - like Hamburg (I've never got over it yet).
Instead I'm thinking of the promotion at Huddersfield and that night away at Blackburn with 10 men. I was in tatters for the Derby game - couldn't work out if the trembling was the cold or nerves so while I am thrilled to be going to Wembley - I do wonder if the term "enjoy it" will be appropriate. Its taken 43 years but most of my football dreams have come near - following Fulham around Europe, seeing them in a major European final, an FA cup final (Though I was too young to know the significance of it) and winning against the like of Man U, Liverpool and Chelsea. Its one helluva roller coaster ride being a Fulham fan

Holders

Tactics: we must practice penalties.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Milo

Quote from: Lighthouse on May 17, 2018, 12:15:45 PM
Hi all Villa fan here.

082.gif

Disagree with the idea that Villa aren't far behind us footballing wise. They offered little outside Grealish in the Boro games. Unless the Boro game was not a fair reflection of their season? But I'd didn't get that impression with the reactions from their forum or the pundits. Happy to hear otherwise of course.

General

Quote from: peter w on May 16, 2018, 09:25:31 AM
Quote from: Carborundum on May 16, 2018, 09:15:10 AM

If we had John Terry I'd be very worried indeed.

Why? he's playing in a team that's conceded 4 less than you in the 46 games, and one less than you already in the play-offs.

And to carry-on the pointless comparisons he was part of the team at Boro whose pitch is exactly the same size as Wembley.

So, against a team with more pace (according to one of your posters), on a pitch comparable to Wembley in size, Terry was comfortable.

I think you may be over thinking this Terry weakness side of things but i guess that's due to his other footballing allegiances.

Don't know about boro having more pace. In fact I'd comfortably say man for man we have much more. Sessegnon, Kamara, target, fredericks, odoi and cyrus christie all have pace to burn. I have yet to see any player in the division beat Fredericks in particular in a foot race.

I think our greatest asset if utilised properly will be our pace. At times it is visually explosive on the eye. Players tend to find another gear against almost anyone.

Our second greatest strength is our middle three and the familiarity they have with one another and technique. I watched the game again the other day and in particular in the second half we simply dominated due to our players ability to play one touch football. At least three or four passages of play bringing the ball from defence into the attacking final thiRd with one or maximum two touch movement from every player involved - that's why we have such high possession stats and why teams fade as games wear on.

Added to mitrovic who gives us that versatility up front to bring players into the game and hold up the ball and playing it well on the ground and in the air then I'm confident.

Our defence will need to be on top of their game though - villa will have chances or at least have players who can cause problems.

That said though our defensive record is still pretty solid.

In the second half of this season fulham have scored 46 and conceded 14 goals and have managed 12 clean sheets (including in our last game) out of 23 games played in the league.

Shut outs in over half of our games when our defence is arguably our weakest area.

Comparing that to villa...

Villa scored 40 and conceded 18. So over the same time difference a GD of +22 where fulhams is +32.

Now in a one off game nothing can be guaranteed but when you delve deeper into the stats it's more compelling.

Villa have failed to score in 5 of their games since start of this year, with a big bulk of their goals coming in 8 games. 29 of those 40 goals scored came in eight games. The other 15 saw two goals scored just once, and the remaining 14 games consisted of nine games settled by one goal.

For Fulham in our 23 game run we only failed to score once, only scored one goal in seven games.. meaning in 15 games we scored 2 or more goals... a third of those saw us score 3 or more.

So statistically those insights would suggest whilst there are two capable teams are the both ends of the park fulham have more consistency in scoring more goals (villa average one goal for most games) compared to our average of two and also, albeit just, having the knack to shut out opposing attackers.. and that could very much be the difference.

Of the two games we've played though both sets of fans seem to feel that neither team was at full strength. When fulham initially lost they were playing without cairney  (coming back from injury) for 60 minutes of the game and played with Fonte, Kebano and Ayite up front and sessegnon at LB. We even brought in ibrahima cisse for nearly 20 mins and he hasn't played since. Even through all of this Johansen scored a goal for us. We were extremely disjointed back then. Possession stats still were 68% in our favour. 

Looking at both our games against each other villa didn't field an exact team either time and didn't field the same team against boro than at any time against us.

Since then we've brought in mitrovic and target and moved sessegnon up the field. In mitrovic and sessegnon since January we've seen a combined total of 28 goals scored roughly and eight further assists.