more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham v Villa

Started by Milo, May 15, 2018, 09:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter w

Quote from: Carborundum on May 16, 2018, 09:15:10 AM

If we had John Terry I'd be very worried indeed.

Why? he's playing in a team that's conceded 4 less than you in the 46 games, and one less than you already in the play-offs.

And to carry-on the pointless comparisons he was part of the team at Boro whose pitch is exactly the same size as Wembley.

So, against a team with more pace (according to one of your posters), on a pitch comparable to Wembley in size, Terry was comfortable.

I think you may be over thinking this Terry weakness side of things but i guess that's due to his other footballing allegiances.

Carborundum

I think I've explained why.  Your staunch defence of John Terry is admirable in a way, but the game at the Cottage provided the evidence I draw on.

We will see on the day.

Holders

Quote from: Statto on May 16, 2018, 09:41:00 AM
Terry will struggle with Mitro, not least because Mitro is white, so Terry won't be able to rely on his usual tactic, racial abuse

Ah, but Terry's xenophobic as well, don't forget.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

peter w

Quote from: Carborundum on May 16, 2018, 09:29:31 AM
I think I've explained why.  Your staunch defence of John Terry is admirable in a way, but the game at the Cottage provided the evidence I draw on.

We will see on the day.

nothing staunch about it.

just pointing out that maybe your anti-Terry standpoint is clouding your judgement regarding his abilities. Why not say Chester is crap? Or Hutton is useless? i think your fans let yourself down regarding terry with same of your obscene chants relating to his mother, and I think your vitriol is getting int he way of any objectivity relating to his ability. Still, its a football forum and you support Fulham so I'm going to be a lone voice here.

Milo

Quote from: peter w on May 16, 2018, 09:25:31 AM

Why? he's playing in a team that's conceded 4 less than you in the 46 games, and one less than you already in the play-offs.

And to carry-on the pointless comparisons he was part of the team at Boro whose pitch is exactly the same size as Wembley.

So, against a team with more pace (according to one of your posters), on a pitch comparable to Wembley in size, Terry was comfortable.

I think you may be over thinking this Terry weakness side of things but i guess that's due to his other footballing allegiances.

Think that's a pretty fair argument actually!

But Traore looked like a headless chicken. He would just pick it up narrow and run at your defence head on. I think Paul Merson really nailed it in his post match pundit review. Traore just didn't have any intelligence to stay out on the wings and stretch you.. he constantly tucked in to help defend but then it meant he was always attacking from deep and far too central to really give your defenders problems.

I think by contrast if we play Kamara (think of him as a poor mans Traore) and Sess these are two strikers who hug the touch line. If we play Piazon (SJ has done that quite a bit this year!) then we will be far more narrow and play into your hands.

Even if you deal with our wingers, we have very quickly learnt how to adapt to the deep lying solid defensive line. We just had 2 games practice! Derby were defending for 100-120 minutes. That tactic is to play the ball into Mitro who holds it up and lays it off to our oncoming midfielders and wingers. It gives us shots just inside/just outside the penalty area on a regular basis. So the key there will be Mitro v Terry which is definitely a mouthwatering contest!

I think the game could be quite open. It'll come down to who takes their chances. I think we have more potency up front in that regard.

Woolly Mammoth

Thanks for the valuable information, it will stand us in good stead, I am trembling, oh and one more thing, what else do you know about this geezer Terry.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

peter w

Quote from: Milo on May 16, 2018, 10:22:27 AM

Think that's a pretty fair argument actually!

But Traore looked like a headless chicken. He would just pick it up narrow and run at your defence head on. I think Paul Merson really nailed it in his post match pundit review. Traore just didn't have any intelligence to stay out on the wings and stretch you.. he constantly tucked in to help defend but then it meant he was always attacking from deep and far too central to really give your defenders problems.

I think by contrast if we play Kamara (think of him as a poor mans Traore) and Sess these are two strikers who hug the touch line. If we play Piazon (SJ has done that quite a bit this year!) then we will be far more narrow and play into your hands.

Even if you deal with our wingers, we have very quickly learnt how to adapt to the deep lying solid defensive line. We just had 2 games practice! Derby were defending for 100-120 minutes. That tactic is to play the ball into Mitro who holds it up and lays it off to our oncoming midfielders and wingers. It gives us shots just inside/just outside the penalty area on a regular basis. So the key there will be Mitro v Terry which is definitely a mouthwatering contest!

I think the game could be quite open. It'll come down to who takes their chances. I think we have more potency up front in that regard.

for us the key will be who put in front of Chester/terry. Jedinak has the height so against bigger teams he's more of a threat. Against sides without the same height threat Whelan does the job better of sitting infront of the back 4 and sweeping everything up and has a better range of passing. if we want legs in there and more energy then it'll be Bjarnasson, but he isn't as strong defensively as the other two.

The worry for me is the flanks because you clearly have quality there. Although i hope it is a good game of football, forgive me for hoping you get a biblical amount of injuries between now and the 26th, just to help us out a little.

peter w

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 16, 2018, 10:34:38 AM

Thanks for the valuable information, it will stand us in good stead, I am trembling, oh and one more thing, what else do you know about this geezer Terry.

Why should you be trembling? What else do I know about Terry? Won loads of England caps and medals as a top professional.

before this season i can't say i saw him as a stand-up guy but on the pitch this season he's been brilliant for us.

Milo

I think your best chances will come from set pieces with Jedinak and Terry.

Ours will be Kamara on the wing causing havoc with Traore like runs but wider and more effective than Traore. How Mitro fares v Terry.. spinning and getting shots away. Sess picking up scraps goal poaching.

Lighthouse

It depends who turns up on the day. Which coach can adjust his tactics to fit the changing situations. On the day we will have to match Villa who like to play keep ball. It will be as nervy as the semi final was. More so because we know. unlike other big final occasions we have been involved in. We are the better side this time. But that means nothing.

Don't make stupid decisions, don't get sent off and play as well as we have and we will win. Fall below and we wont.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

cmg

This Terry business threatens to get a bit out of hand.
Sure he is a pretty despicable person, but he has been one of the best centre-backs around and, contrary to many expectations, has had an excellent season for Villa and is still one of the
best CBs in the league.
He might lack pace, but it won't be pace that Mitro will be challenging him with.
He has a great deal of (very) big match experience and is far fom being a stranger to playing at Wembley.
In contrast we have only Targett (v Spurs last Boxing Day) and Johansen (for Norway v England) who have ever been there except as a tourist.

Mind you, experience isn't everything. Not many sides go there with 2 blokes with as much Wembley experience as we did in '75 and it didn't do us much good!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: peter w on May 16, 2018, 10:39:30 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 16, 2018, 10:34:38 AM

Why should you be trembling? What else do I know about Terry? Won loads of England caps and medals as a top professional.

before this season i can't say i saw him as a stand-up guy but on the pitch this season he's been brilliant for us.

Peter Wythe I presume.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

bwamy

Quote from: peter w on May 16, 2018, 10:37:23 AM
Although i hope it is a good game of football, forgive me for hoping you get a biblical amount of injuries between now and the 26th, just to help us out a little.

Villa at present would struggle back in the Premiership. You just don't have the strength in depth right now, though it is inevitable that you will be back sooner or later. The time is right for Fulham.

I hope that you are not pinning too much hope on Terry as presumably he will be off to another Championship team if you are promoted, to avoid playing against Chelsea of course. Given that he is such a loyal, honorable man who would would never do anything disloyal ever.

peter w

Quote from: bwamy on May 16, 2018, 12:05:52 PM
Although i hope it is a good game of football, forgive me for hoping you get a biblical amount of injuries between now and the 26th, just to help us out a little.

Villa at present would struggle back in the Premiership. You just don't have the strength in depth right now, though it is inevitable that you will be back sooner or later. The time is right for Fulham.

I hope that you are not pinning too much hope on Terry as presumably he will be off to another Championship team if you are promoted, to avoid playing against Chelsea of course. Given that he is such a loyal, honorable man who would would never do anything disloyal ever.

I agree. if you look through our team I think we'd need a fair few players - but we do have the financial muscle. Problem with that is having to buy too many players at the same time. Who would be good enough? Johnstone (we would buy him); maybe Chester; Grealish; Snodgrass (again a loan we would have to buy); possibly Jedinak - but luckily we have some decent kids coming through, too. but absolutely this team would struggle. As for Terry he's said that he'd stay if we were promoted.

As for the time is right for you, again I agree. I think your team would be decimated should you fail to go up. Cairney would probably go. maybe hendricks (I really don't know too much about your team), hopefully someone would have a word in Sessengon's ear about staying regardless given his age but a few 0's on the cheque speaks volumes. i think you have less surgery needed should you go up and would probably stay up comfortably the season after.

Milo

Quote from: peter w on May 16, 2018, 12:12:58 PM
Quote from: bwamy on May 16, 2018, 12:05:52 PM

I agree. if you look through our team I think we'd need a fair few players - but we do have the financial muscle. Problem with that is having to buy too many players at the same time. Who would be good enough? Johnstone (we would buy him); maybe Chester; Grealish; Snodgrass (again a loan we would have to buy); possibly Jedinak - but luckily we have some decent kids coming through, too. but absolutely this team would struggle. As for Terry he's said that he'd stay if we were promoted.

As for the time is right for you, again I agree. I think your team would be decimated should you fail to go up. Cairney would probably go. maybe hendricks (I really don't know too much about your team), hopefully someone would have a word in Sessengon's ear about staying regardless given his age but a few 0's on the cheque speaks volumes. i think you have less surgery needed should you go up and would probably stay up comfortably the season after.

While Hendricks keeps most of us going through Fulham games it's in fact Fredericks who is at right back.

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: peter w on May 16, 2018, 08:50:44 AM
Quote from: maoconnor on May 16, 2018, 04:39:45 AM
Quote from: Milo on May 16, 2018, 01:13:18 AM
Incidentally Bruce argued they beat us at home and we beat them at home so it's equals equals.

However their victory was in October with no Mitro, Sess LB, Fonte upfront for 80 mins, and Cairney on as a sub still recovering from injury. Completely different team.

And they'll say no Grealish or Adomah, but I would also argue that whereas they were missing players when we beat them, we were not only missing influential players, but we still hadn't found our confidence or style. I think so long as we are not overconfident that we will win in the POF.

You also have to add Kodjia to that; and Elmohamady went off injured at half-time. So, we did have big players out for us.

As for the game of course it'll be tough - even more than Wolves you are probably or have been the best footballing team we have come up against, but we can also point to several performances where we have out-footballed, outplayed, and out gunned teams. Wolves 4-1 being the obvious starting point, but we were excellent 2nd half v Cardiff; brilliant at Ipswich and Sheff Wed, stuffed Derby at home but drew 1-1 - in one of those games where it looked like we could play all day and not score - hit the bar; post etc and then scored late on.

bruce set us up a certain way to negate the one thing Boro had - pace from traore - and we did that easily enough. boro's stats last night showed that - 9 shots and 0 on target and the majority of those shots were as they were pressing int he last 20 minutes. We comfortably kept them at arms length - as we have done to many teams this season after going a goal up.

I've no idea how we'll set ourselves up and in the admittedly very few times I've seen you your threat is pace down both flanks. You keep the ball in midfield well but I'm not too concerned about that - the 2nd ball coming into midfield maybe where you gain an advantage but i think it'll be similarly tight. In all honesty at this point I have no idea what to expect but of course I'm hopeful. I'm not 'worried' by Fulham but am more than aware that you could win it comfortably. I'm looking forward to it - but easy to say 2 weeks in advance. Bring it on.

We haven't performed in our last 3 Wembley visits though; but in saying that we tend to win our big finals that our staged on May 26th...

Up The Villa

Must admit, Pete, this is a fair assessment. Logical, and rational, thank you for your comments! I am really looking forward to this, and although I will absolutely gutted if we do lose out, I just hope that the football that is on display at Wembley is worthy of the stadium and the event. So long as we go at each other and get to watch some breathtaking football, in the end, I will be happy.

-Mike
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Bill2

He is also playing against a team who scored 7 more goals than you did and our goals come from a range of players. Also you need review our performances in the latter part of the season as for the first part we were poor, where Villa have been consistent across the season.

ffcne

Dont you just love these opposing fans ,who go onto rivals message boards.
We dont care what you think.
Yawn,Yawn.
Usually it starts i come in peace!!

Luka

Quote from: ffcne on May 16, 2018, 06:07:56 PM

Dont you just love these opposing fans ,who go onto rivals message boards.
We dont care what you think.
Yawn,Yawn.
Usually it starts i come in peace!!

I agree, clearly got a high opinion of their own opinions.

hovewhite

We will win,we have broke the winless run we have pace all down the sides,mitro is due a goal,we have seen sess who's sniffer in the box for the knockdown and rebounds.Terry  has no pace only slow very slow.
Off the pitch we have slav the orchestra,the conductder. the tactician. Only the team not applying the plan Will stop us.
Stand up if you BELIEVE and come on you WHITTEES!!