Fulham v Villa

Started by Milo, May 15, 2018, 09:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AVFC1982

Quote from: Milo on May 17, 2018, 12:48:43 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on May 17, 2018, 12:15:45 PM
Quote from: AVFC1982 on May 17, 2018, 11:20:10 AM
Hi all Villa fan here.

In regards to the game for me I believe it will be decided by 1 goal either way. Villa have the experience while Fulham is a more youthful team with a lot of ability also. Whoever has the better game out of Sessengon and Grealish will decide a lot. A little history lesson for all Fulham fans 26th May is the biggest day in AVFC history as it marks the date we won the European Cup in 1982 so with the game being played on 26th May hopefully a good sign for us!

082.gif

I think it depends on more  Cairney and Grealish. Both can orchestrate what is going on or pop up with a goal or pass. Sess can drift in and score and if we play and dominate possession than we can bring in the extra man in the area. But Villa will say the same thing. As a one off match Villa have a better chance than over two matches. Frankly anything can happen on the day. One poor tackle, one slip. I don't think we would argue that Fulham are the better footballing side. But Villa are not far behind and in Bruce has a tactician who has seen it all and has plenty of choices. Not a game for the fan of either club but for the neutral football purists it should be worth the wait.

Disagree with the idea that Villa aren't far behind us footballing wise. They offered little outside Grealish in the Boro games. Unless the Boro game was not a fair reflection of their season? But I'd didn't get that impression with the reactions from their forum or the pundits. Happy to hear otherwise of course.

In all fairness as soon as we scored against Boro in the away leg I think a lot of Villa fans knew how we would play in a defensive manner for the rest of the tie. I guess its just who turns up on the day IMO you've had big wins while we've beat Wolves 4-1 Bristol City 5-0 so we have a big performance in us on our day.

peter w

It is easy to see why Fulham are favourites and I think most Villa fans would also accept that we are slight underdogs going into this. Regarding the stats above they are spot on but don't tell the full story; in the games we scored 4 or more, and most under Bruce, we tend to start slowly. When we get our noses in front we tend to win and when teams attack to get the goal back we either shut the game out or pick them off. I may be wrong but I don't think we've lost a game where we've taken the lead in the league so far this season. That could be what's crucial. If we score first I think we'll win. If not then enjoy the Prem next season.

General

Quote from: peter w on May 17, 2018, 08:19:05 PM
It is easy to see why Fulham are favourites and I think most Villa fans would also accept that we are slight underdogs going into this. Regarding the stats above they are spot on but don't tell the full story; in the games we scored 4 or more, and most under Bruce, we tend to start slowly. When we get our noses in front we tend to win and when teams attack to get the goal back we either shut the game out or pick them off. I may be wrong but I don't think we've lost a game where we've taken the lead in the league so far this season. That could be what's crucial. If we score first I think we'll win. If not then enjoy the Prem next season.

That's interesting to see but what you're perhaps failing you concede  (although this is a final as so form should be taken with pinch of salt) is that Fulham have a habit of scoring goals.. usually 2 or more per game.. and whilst you say you're good with holding on to leads, fulham have a better defensive record since January which would suggest it could be hard for you to score in the first place... and even if you do, fulham have only failed to score in one game out of the last 23. Whilst we may not score, I'd be suprised.

Couple that with the fact you score an average of one goal in a lot of your games and we haven't failed to score in 22 of 23 games, then at least there's and draw on the books. Going on form and goalscoring ability and the law of averages, on top of the 68% possession in both our games in favour of fulham, it'd lean towards fulham meeting their average of two goals scored.

Now in order for that to change you'd need to score based on form need to score 2 goals which you only achieved 9 times since January... and you only scored two goals in a game once.. which unless you thrash us (which is a possibility) will see you most likely to score one or two goals. Our average being two.

So based on form, in theory to be safe you need to score two goals at Wembley and shut us out, (unless you thrash us) which would be as shown very rare.

It's anyone's guess what will happen.. it's a one off and there are players on both sides who can change a game..Steve Bruce himself has said he's hoping villas experience will help make the difference.

I think the game will be won depending on each teams mental preparation. If fulham get the balance right, like they did when we went on the run against you, wolves and the rest of the top six where we won all of the games.. or if fulham turn up mentally prepared like against derby in the second leg with more purpose to their possession play then we will score and goal at least.

We have yet to fail to score against your defence too.. to further enhance that argument.

Milo

Also we only ever turn up in the second half of games! Ha ha.

So it could well be 1-0 Villa at half time and then a big Fulham surge if (as you predict) Villa sit back. Would be kitchen sink stuff and we are used to grinding teams down eg Derby. However I don't think such a game would do wonders for the hearts of some of our aged members.

KingofCheese

Quote from: Fulham Joe on May 15, 2018, 11:14:14 PM
These statements can always come back and bite you on the arse, but I saw absolutely nothing from Aston Villa for us to worry about.
If we get beaten, it willl be because we're Fulham and we never ever win a final.
If we're on a going day, and get even a tiny bit of luck, we'll take care of them, I'm certain of it.

Won the InterToTo I was there at Loftus road...
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

SP

Not an expert on the betting front but the current odds make no sense to me, I think this match is balanced evenly probably 50/50? Down to which team settles better for me.

FFC 6/5
Draw 2/1
AVFC 12/5

fulham traveller

I would make villa favorites, more expiernced players and manager, John terry been there so many times, my fear is we freeze

Woolly Mammoth

If there is God, and we do win. What's the betting John Terry will change into a Fulham kit, and go and pick up the Trophy.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

General

Villa fans have gone quiet...

Carborundum

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 17, 2018, 11:49:12 PM
If there is God, and we do win. What's the betting John Terry will change into a Fulham kit, and go and pick up the Trophy.
Woolly, we really must stop picking on John Terry, you know how it upsets the Villa fans visiting here so!

fulham traveller

My concern is we will have all the play, and get done by two set pieces, which we are weak at, I make villa the favourites

hongkongfulham

Quote from: supersimmo123 on May 17, 2018, 12:07:19 PM
Villa worry me hugely. I think they have everything required to cause us trouble. I get people say we can hurt them with pace, but being honest they hardly struggled with Traore who is one of the fastest if not the fastest in the league. They have experience throughout their spine, Terry, Jedinak, Snodgrass etc whilst they have Adomah, Kodja and Grealish who are fantastic players and for me could play at a higher level, certainly the latter. They have players who have good playoff experience and Terry as well all know has played at the highest level and Wembley is like a second home for him after his England days. Giving him some stick me help with that one though!

Any Fulham fan that thinks this will be a walk in the park is wrong. They will be equally as solid as Derby in the first leg and will provide a better threat going forward. They have a good midfield engine room must like us and I think the midfield will be what decides who wins this one on the day.

Having said all that, we have a ability to keep the ball and work it from side to side to open up the space for the midfield runners and will require our full-backs to be brave and bomb on. This was the biggest difference for me in the 2nd leg against Derby. Fredericks inparticular was up and down that right flank which allows space for AK and the Midfield to run between the lines. I think the way to win this is no different to our usual game plan, stretch the game and make the pitch as wide as possible, have TC and SJ run in-between the lines and support Mitro up top. In regards to combating Villa, stick SJ on Grealish man for man, have him follow him everywhere and KMac can just sit and anchor that back 4 as he has done all season. Important that whilst we play out from the back, try to limit all mistakes and if we need to go long ensure we win second balls all over the place. The lads need to push for 90 mins and be at there best to get us back to the big time and then we can see if this team is ready for the Prem.

Its probably as even a final as I can remember in the championship but with 2 very different styles of football being played. Very exciting and lets hope we can come out on top! COYW!

Best summary i've read so far