watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tickets for 1975 semis and cup final

Started by Marinelloguthrie, May 16, 2018, 09:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marinelloguthrie

Anyone else remember queuing up for hours to get tickets for the semis and cup final in 75?

Was 9 at the time, very fond memories of the excitement and anticipation of getting tickets for the games. I think the queue use  to easily go past the school past some warehouses i think. Also nervous that they would sell out before u got there with your 'tokens' from previous games lol

brightster

Remember it well, great idea the tokens.
As a 10 year old then is was such an adventure you had to be there in person to collect your tickets, also the train ticket, then early Sunday morning for the replay tickets.
You are correct there were warehouses / factories along the Stevenage Road which are now houses.
Last time I remember having to queue was a cup game away to Manchester United late eighties I think it was.

RaySmith

Yes, I remember  queuing on early Sunday morning for Semi-final replay tickets.

Also remember the programme vouchers for Final tickets.

Remember getting a train full of Fulham fans to Carlisle, and being marched  through the streets by the police suounded by hostile Carlisle fans, and back to the train after the game, victorious, courtesy of a Les Barrett goal, singing our songs.

Remember the coach to Manchester for the semi-final replay, and  a bloke wearing a long white coat, like a doctor's, with  the names of the Fulham team written on it in black, asking me stand in front of him while he spray painted FFC on a wall.

it was an amazing atmosphere inside Maine Road, packed togther , singing our songs, falling forward in waves on the terracing, then pandemonium when John Mitchell's last minute goal went in off of his knee - we'd won, we were at Wembley!!!!-
'When Alan , walks up, to lift the FA Cup, we'll be there, we'll be there.'

The Final itself was a disappointing anti-climax in the end, though great to  see Fulham run out onto the famous  turf -as it was always called.

Dodgin

Marinelloguthrie

Andy S

Yes it was a shame to have to cut the token off the back of the programme. After that for a while I bought two programmes so I always had one that wasn't butchered

Sir Alec of good Stock

The classic comment by the announcer before the Hull City 3rd round game "remember to keep your programmes as you'll need the vouchers when we get to Wembley", we all laughed!!

Such exciting times as it was so unexpected.

I was lucky enough to get to all the games in the cup run and, for me, the best game was Carlisle for the amazing support and the best goal was Super Mitch's volley at Hillsborough.

Plodder

Although I had amassed a good collection of vouchers from the 1974-75 programmes, the club told me that I could not have a ticket as an unaccompanied 12 year old.  In a way, it was lucky it was only my first season, so I was disappointed, but no worse, as I had not had time to become deeply infected with Fulham fever, and being a callow youth, I just accepted it. In retrospect, I should even at that age have realised that an FA Cup Final appearance was likely to be a once in a lifetime event (and not even that for most supporters of most clubs) and I should have moved heaven and earth to go, although the match itself was a big disappointment. I also missed out on Hamburg, when tickets sold out speedily. Not this time - I am sorted, thanks to a kind STH friend.

Marinelloguthrie

Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on May 16, 2018, 11:26:00 PM
The classic comment by the announcer before the Hull City 3rd round game "remember to keep your programmes as you'll need the vouchers when we get to Wembley", we all laughed!!

I was lucky enough to get to all the games in the cup run and, for me, the best game was Carlisle for the amazing support and the best goal was Super Mitch's volley at Hillsborough.

Was it the Carlisle match where Mellor had a blinder?

Remember coming out of chelsea after another enthralling afternoon sitting on the crappy benches watching droy and co hoping they would lose, hearing from someones transistor that we had won at Carlisle. Massively exciting knowing i would be going to a semi final (partly because it was on neutral ground made it more exciting) to see us in a semi final.

Mitchell celebrating arms in air after that great volley wearing the best Fulham kit ever.

Holders

The best Fulham kit ever - but actually as a consequence of QPR.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Marinelloguthrie

Quote from: Holders on May 17, 2018, 09:24:06 AM

Tell me more pls

Holders

Quote from: Marinelloguthrie on May 17, 2018, 11:33:18 AM

Tell me more pls

We played an away game at Loftus Road and the ref wouldn't allow us to wear our white shirts as he said that they clashed with QPR blue/white hoops (though we always had before). There wasn't time to send back to CC for our own change strip so we played in QPR's away kit. As I recall, we won and the rest is history. It became our 1975 lucky strip. We should have worn it at Wembley.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Marinelloguthrie

Quote from: Holders on May 17, 2018, 12:17:05 PM
Quote from: Marinelloguthrie on May 17, 2018, 11:33:18 AM

Tell me more pls

We played an away game at Loftus Road and the ref wouldn't allow us to wear our white shirts as he said that they clashed with QPR blue/white hoops (though we always had before). There wasn't time to send back to CC for our own change strip so we played in QPR's away kit. As I recall, we won and the rest is history. It became our 1975 lucky strip. We should have worn it at Wembley.

Didnt know that thank you, very interesting..

HillingdonFFC

What happened to the allocations for the semi final at Hillsborough. How was it worked out?. Birmingham had 30-35,000 which was the largest semi allocation ever at the time.
Seen our numbers range from 10-15,000, wasnt there but old man said Fulham massively outnumbered. Due to a ticket mix up he & about 100 others ended up right in the middle of a sea of Birmingham fans on the kop, interesting experience by all accounts.
Even when Mitchell scored you see the corner section of the Leppings which should of been ours was all Birmingham

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: Marinelloguthrie on May 17, 2018, 12:07:34 AM
Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on May 16, 2018, 11:26:00 PM

Was it the Carlisle match where Mellor had a blinder?

Remember coming out of chelsea after another enthralling afternoon sitting on the crappy benches watching droy and co hoping they would lose, hearing from someones transistor that we had won at Carlisle. Massively exciting knowing i would be going to a semi final (partly because it was on neutral ground made it more exciting) to see us in a semi final.

Mitchell celebrating arms in air after that great volley wearing the best Fulham kit ever.

Yes, Mellor was brilliant at Carlisle and in the semi final replay at Maine Road.

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on May 17, 2018, 12:54:22 PM
What happened to the allocations for the semi final at Hillsborough. How was it worked out?. Birmingham had 30-35,000 which was the largest semi allocation ever at the time.
Seen our numbers range from 10-15,000, wasnt there but old man said Fulham massively outnumbered. Due to a ticket mix up he & about 100 others ended up right in the middle of a sea of Birmingham fans on the kop, interesting experience by all accounts.
Even when Mitchell scored you see the corner section of the Leppings which should of been ours was all Birmingham

We had the whole Leppings Lane end except for the terracing which was higher up to our left which had been allocated to Birmingham.

I have never been in as tightly packed a crowd as that and when we scored it was absolute mayhem.

We were probably out numbered five to one but the atmosphere was great, but still not as good as Carlisle.

cmg

Any Fulham supporter in the Kop end at Hillsborough had been badly missold! I don't remember any Brummies in the Leppings Lane end. But, as has beeen said, there wasn't much opportunity for exploration - it was probably the most fearsome crush I've ever been involved in (and I've travelled on the Northern Line in the rush-hour).

However, there were more than a few West Ham fans in our end at Wembley. I don't know what the allocation was (I don't think finalists got more than 35-40,000 each out of 100,000 in those days. There were a lot of FA hangers-on.)
I thought the Final tickets were surprisingly easy to come by. From a bunch of about 15 of us only one paid over the odds (and that was from a Fulham (reserve) player! It was a recognized way of players making a few bob in those days.)