watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Silly Season Summer Transfer Thread 2018/19

Started by Mince n Tatties, May 17, 2018, 05:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spikey norman

Exactly 6 weeks today left of the transfer window.
Not worried yet that we haven't signed anyone but if we havent in 2 weeks time especially as I reckon we need at least 6 or more quality players to add to our squad I will be getting concerned we won't have a squad adequate or ready for our return to the Prem.

Rambler

Are people not concerned that we could have no signings for the start of pre season and an inadequate squad. The same thing happened last year meaning we weren't ready for the start of the season and we had a poor first half of the season. The team wasn't cohesive because the squad hadn't been together for very long.

I'm concerned that this could happen again this year which could really determine the outcome of the season. I really do feel we need to try and act more quickly so that the 'finalised' squad can have as much of the pre season together as they can. This inactivity for me is quite worrying

twang

Quote from: Rambler on June 20, 2018, 08:43:27 PM
Are people not concerned that we could have no signings for the start of pre season and an inadequate squad. The same thing happened last year meaning we weren't ready for the start of the season and we had a poor first half of the season. The team wasn't cohesive because the squad hadn't been together for very long.

I'm concerned that this could happen again this year which could really determine the outcome of the season. I really do feel we need to try and act more quickly so that the 'finalised' squad can have as much of the pre season together as they can. This inactivity for me is quite worrying

I think most of us are concerned about it but also realize that it doesn't matter if players signs today or in 11 days, they will still be able to start pre season with us.

Carborundum

1500.gif

Ah yes, the dreaded "we've signed no players"worry.  Almost as bad as the "player we signed is not premier league quality" worry, which in turn is preferable to the "new signing is over the hill" worry, only leaving the "if they have signed for us, there must be something amiss with them, but I can't quite put my finger on it worry" as a catch-all worry to ensure that whatever the position we are in, worriers need never be short of a reason to worry. 

We won our last game at Wembley, gave John Terry an appropriate send off, there's a World Cup on and the weathers quite nice too.  But it's the longest day tomorrow, so the nights will be drawing in giving us reasonable grounds to worry about the onset of winter.

Nope, not worried at all.

YoungsBitter

Quote from: Carborundum on June 20, 2018, 09:40:26 PM
1500.gif

Ah yes, the dreaded "we've signed no players"worry.  Almost as bad as the "player we signed is not premier league quality" worry, which in turn is preferable to the "new signing is over the hill" worry, only leaving the "if they have signed for us, there must be something amiss with them, but I can't quite put my finger on it worry" as a catch-all worry to ensure that whatever the position we are in, worriers need never be short of a reason to worry. 

We won our last game at Wembley, gave John Terry an appropriate send off, there's a World Cup on and the weathers quite nice too.  But it's the longest day tomorrow, so the nights will be drawing in giving us reasonable grounds to worry about the onset of winter.

That was the funniest response I have seen on here for ages, well said that man!
Quark, strangeness and charm

FFCpmd

Quote from: YoungsBitter on June 20, 2018, 10:57:13 PM
Quote from: Carborundum on June 20, 2018, 09:40:26 PM
1500.gif

That was the funniest response I have seen on here for ages, well said that man!

Absolutely, well said!

Milo

YoungsBitter

Quote from: Stefan The Viking (The Moose) on June 20, 2018, 01:52:35 PM
Quote from: Barrett487 on June 20, 2018, 01:11:54 PM
http://sportwitness.co.uk/west-ham-everton-fulham-heading-interest-world-cup-defender-offers-made/

West Ham, Everton Fulham heading interest in World Cup defender, offers made

Besiktas defender Domagoj Vida is being linked with a move to the Premier League with Everton, Fulham and West Ham United reportedly heading the interest.

Vida only joined Beskitas in the last transfer window, and the Turkish club reportedly faced a fight with Everton at the time.

Sozcu say West Ham, Everton and Fulham are currently leading the race for the Croatian international and that offers have been made for the defender.

It's reported the highest bid received by Besiktas is €13m plus €2m add-ons, but the club hasn't been disclosed.

The three Premier League sides will be looking to recruit in this window and the Turkish media insist Vida is an option.

Vida is currently in Russia with the Croatian national team and Besiktas are hoping his value may increase if he has a good World Cup.

The central defender joined Besiktas on a free transfer from Dynamo Kyiv in January, but struggled to cement place in the Turkish side's starting eleven.

He'd be an excellent signing, aggressive and good will ball at his feet. Can play anywhere across the back four.
Interesting after all the comments about Wolves and their unique ability to tap into the Portugese market. Maybe our advantage is Slava, having a coach who speaks serbo-croat ( allowing for dialect differences), it worked with Mitro and hopefully it gives us some advantage with Serbian and Croatia signings?
Quark, strangeness and charm

mrmicawbers

What Ever will be will be.Not going to be Worried.I will be there for our first game whatever the team is.I am going to have a fantastic summer basking in the glory of our previous season.

SuffolkWhite

Quote from: mrmicawbers on June 21, 2018, 12:40:40 AM
What Ever will be will be.Not going to be Worried.I will be there for our first game whatever the team is.I am going to have a fantastic summer basking in the glory of our previous season.

0001.jpeg
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: Robertprocter1 on June 20, 2018, 06:50:09 PM
Kalas is on holiday with bets and McDonald so he could be signing

But would we want him? Joka preferred using a 178cm fullback in his position, even when Kalas was back from injury. Why would we want a player that wasn't good enough for our starting 11 in the Championship? Same goes for Norwood really. I think we need to aim higher.

Milo

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on June 21, 2018, 08:39:40 AM

But would we want him? Joka preferred using a 178cm fullback in his position, even when Kalas was back from injury. Why would we want a player that wasn't good enough for our starting 11 in the Championship? Same goes for Norwood really. I think we need to aim higher.

Agreed but for £5-6m he will hold his value for the next 3-4 years and provide some depth nonetheless. Also seems to add to dressing room in terms of popularity.

Comes down to how much money is floating around I suppose.

TheBadger

Harsh IMO. Kalas got injured and was replaced by Odoi in the squad who was excellent for the most part (QPR error aside). There's a lot to be said for a settled side and Odoi was a key part during the unbeaten run. Norwood also did well with his cameos after Cairney was back in the XI and although I agree that we should be aiming higher than him, I wouldn't say no to having him in the squad for depth.
"The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning." - Pele

hovewhite

Quote from: TheBadger on June 21, 2018, 08:50:35 AM

Harsh IMO. Kalas got injured and was replaced by Odoi in the squad who was excellent for the most part (QPR error aside). There's a lot to be said for a settled side and Odoi was a key part during the unbeaten run. Norwood also did well with his cameos after Cairney was back in the XI and although I agree that we should be aiming higher than him, I wouldn't say no to having him in the squad for depth.
I did think myself initially that we should aim higher,but having thought about it kalas,piazon will only get better and Norwood deserves a chance if only as back up.

TheBadger

Quote from: hovewhite on June 21, 2018, 09:11:21 AM
Quote from: TheBadger on June 21, 2018, 08:50:35 AM

I did think myself initially that we should aim higher,but having thought about it kalas,piazon will only get better and Norwood deserves a chance if only as back up.

Exactly - as much as I agree that aiming high is the preference, we need depth. My ideal would be to sign all of the loans we had from last season and add to that with quality. IE, a quality CB, CM, RW.

TheBadger

S.F.Sorrow

I can't disagree with the fact that we need depth at CB. But I don't think we will sign Kalas for depth, he's probably too expensive for that. If we get him I think the intention will be to use him in the starting 11.

Would you still be ok with signing him if he turns out to be our only "true and tested" CB besides Ream next season?

Personally I would be delighted to sign Kalas for depth but as regular starter in the Prem? Probably not IMO. Even if he's good enough he's too injury prone to rely on as a regular starter.

TheBadger

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on June 21, 2018, 10:17:09 AM
I can't disagree with the fact that we need depth at CB. But I don't think we will sign Kalas for depth, he's probably too expensive for that. If we get him I think the intention will be to use him in the starting 11.

Would you still be ok with signing him if he turns out to be our only "true and tested" CB besides Ream next season?

Personally I would be delighted to sign Kalas for depth but as regular starter in the Prem? Probably not IMO. Even if he's good enough he's too injury prone to rely on as a regular starter.

What is too expensive in this day and age though? Rumoured fee for Kalas and Piazon is £8.5m combined - you might attribute £5 mill of that to Kalas. It's not a bad fee for a guy who has been part of our set up for the last two years, played a very good role in both play off run ventures and who is ultimately have a re-sale value.

While I think he is not the ultimate answer at CB, I certainly would not be unhappy with his signing.

Tabby

My main problem with the Kalas transfer was the alleged asking price of £10 million. At £8.5 million for him and Piazon I endorse it, we have a threadbare squad. We need to get at least 2 CB's as we currently only have one.