Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

Quote from: corbs83 on June 13, 2018, 04:25:23 PM
Quote from: twang on June 13, 2018, 04:18:55 PM
Quote from: corbs83 on June 13, 2018, 04:08:18 PM
Quote from: MJG on June 13, 2018, 04:07:25 PM
Quote from: corbs83 on June 13, 2018, 04:05:28 PM
Quote from: MJG on June 13, 2018, 04:01:35 PM
I think one lesson from that is....forget the 20 goal a season man, can we get a 10-12 one.

that would leave;
Mahrez-12           £75m to man city
Murray-12           too old for our recruitment
Arnautovic-11       £50 to man utd
Milivojevic-10       No chance
Rooney-10            £350k a week
Wood-10               scored most of them in the championship didnt he?

all of a sudden, Ayew looks like a great option at £8m
I have to admit as I put this together i thought WTF, how hard is this going to be?

puts a lot into perspective doesnt it for all those saying we should be aiming higher. i am in the camp of sign Ayew

Why does it put things into perspective? 'Aim higher' doesn't equal 'Sign someone who scored more goals in the same league'. There are better players and other leagues out there. Especially if we're talking about someone that's mainly going to play RW as Mitro surely must be everyone's preferred striker choice.

perspective of what a 11 goal premier league tested player will cost......
another way would be for someone else to look at the 15 players and come up with their last transfer fee to see how much they cost to deliver that.
Just the views of a long term fan

LVBPTS

Quote from: MJG on June 13, 2018, 04:30:32 PM
I think one lesson from that is....forget the 20 goal a season man, can we get a 10-12 one.

that would leave;

I have to admit as I put this together i thought WTF, how hard is this going to be?

puts a lot into perspective doesnt it for all those saying we should be aiming higher. i am in the camp of sign Ayew

Why does it put things into perspective? 'Aim higher' doesn't equal 'Sign someone who scored more goals in the same league'. There are better players and other leagues out there. Especially if we're talking about someone that's mainly going to play RW as Mitro surely must be everyone's preferred striker choice.

another way would be for someone else to look at the 15 players and come up with their last transfer fee to see how much they cost to deliver that.

thats a good point but to be comparable you would need to look at the goals they scored in their first season as a premier league player. all of those players in that list other than Wood are seasoned players in the EPL and Wood, as mentioned, scored most of his in the Championship. im not being argumentative, although it probably comes across that way. its just i dont see Ayew at £8m as a bad bit of business especially when you consider that Mitrovic has 10 in 40 in the PL.
now dont all bite my head off. im not saying sign Ayew instead of Mitro, the exact opposite in fact but it really cant be seen as bad business to sign the earlier at those prices. this is solely about return on outlay
Supporter since 2000

Count Flapula

Quote from: twang on June 13, 2018, 03:33:52 PM
Quote from: MJG on June 13, 2018, 03:22:23 PM
Quote from: twang on June 13, 2018, 02:58:52 PM
Quote from: Count Flapula on June 13, 2018, 02:29:17 PM
Quote from: twang on June 13, 2018, 01:37:45 PM
Quote from: Fernhurst on June 13, 2018, 01:29:15 PM
Ayes bid turned down!!!

What do they want 10 million???? Is he worth it?

Nope, time to walk away.

£10m for a RW who scored 11 goals in the Prem is not bad business.

He played most games up front for Swansea and scored 7 in 36 Prem games. He's a decent player but for £10m+ we should be getting more than that.
only 22 players scored ten or more in the league. Its a small pool of players who get to double figures and of those 22 there are 15 of them who play for top six sides. I'd say 7-10 for a lower half team in PL and a player who moves around positions is not bad.

Edit... Of the 36 players who scored more than him, 22 are in top six sides. If I wasn't on my phone I'd list the others to see who we think we could get. I might do it later.

I haven't said that it's a bad return. I said he's a decent player. But he's never been prolific, not even in France. So based on his history, 7 goals is what you can expect from Ayew when he has performed very well. In comparison he scored 3 goals last season in a total of 35 games (21 Championship and 14 Premier League matches). So to spend a pretty large amount of our budget on a player with a peak that modest wouldn't be good business IMHO.

He scored 11 in all competitions last season and WASN'T their no.9 / target man for much of the season. He's an upgrade on Flloyd in a position we need him - I repeat, £10m isn't outlandish for someone with proven Prem ability these days (unfortunately). Not my no.1 target but if we got him for £10m I wouldn't be upset.

MJG

Quote from: corbs83 on June 13, 2018, 04:38:10 PM
Quote from: MJG on June 13, 2018, 04:30:32 PM

that would leave;

thats a good point but to be comparable you would need to look at the goals they scored in their first season as a premier league player. all of those players in that list other than Wood are seasoned players in the EPL and Wood, as mentioned, scored most of his in the Championship. im not being argumentative, although it probably comes across that way. its just i dont see Ayew at £8m as a bad bit of business especially when you consider that Mitrovic has 10 in 40 in the PL.
now dont all bite my head off. im not saying sign Ayew instead of Mitro, the exact opposite in fact but it really cant be seen as bad business to sign the earlier at those prices. this is solely about return on outlay
I don't see this as argumentative at all. I'm not against signing him or either for him. I don't see him as a main striker either.

Riversider

Ayew alone isn't a particularly exciting prospect, and thus discussing his value doesn't make much sense,
But, considering him as part of a front 3 that consists of Sessegnon,  Mitrovic and Ayew and all of a sudden, WOW !
Now his value looks entirely different.

Carborundum

Quote from: Riversider on June 13, 2018, 05:33:57 PM
Ayew alone isn't a particularly exciting prospect,and thus discussing his value doesn't make much sense,
But, considering him as part of a front 3 that consists of Sessegnon,  Mitrovic and Ayew and all of a sudden, WOW !
Now his value looks entirely different.
Fair point.

It was goals per season logic that landed Villa with Ross McCormack.  The best question is "Will they fit our style and plan?"  Though in Villa's case the question might have been "What exactly is our style and plan?"

Count Flapula

Quote from: MJG on June 13, 2018, 05:23:24 PM

I don't see this as argumentative at all. I'm not against signing him or either for him. I don't see him as a main striker either.
[/quote]

+1 and to be clear, I do NOT want him as our no.9 / main goalscorer - absolutely hope we get Mitro for that. I'm saying as the right side of an attacking front 3 (as we play), for £10m that's not bad business these days.

Holders

In considering Ayew (as I understand ) for RW, I'm assuming that we have Mitro or equivalent in the middle so I say to myself "how does Ayew compare with Aluko (our last established RW) on goals per season and value?". Then he does seem a good prospect and the stats probably stand up.   
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

filham

In all of this counting of goas scored by particular players we should remember we paid a reported 8m for Fonte who then scored 3 Championship goals for us. What a risky business it is. Best to hold on to players who have proven their worth, we should be prepared to pay the earth for Mitrovic

charliejones141

I just want us to make a signing. Get Mitro done now.

MJG

Quote from: filham on June 13, 2018, 06:40:44 PM
In all of this counting of goas scored by particular players we should remember we paid a reported 8m for Fonte who then scored 3 Championship goals for us. What a risky business it is. Best to hold on to players who have proven their worth, we should be prepared to pay the earth for Mitrovic
how much max? How much is the earth? £40m?

LVBPTS

Quote from: MJG on June 13, 2018, 06:42:42 PM
I was going to say exactly the same. As mentioned above, compared to aluko, seems a no brainer. That's not a dig at sone by the way either

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Supporter since 2000

RP24

Quote from: Rambler on June 13, 2018, 04:08:40 PM
West Ham have AGREED a deal for Diop, what was the quoted fee? ?15 mil. Worth a punt, especially if Callum Chambers is £22mil, whom I don't really rate

They really do go after everyone we're linked with haha

Madman Maddle

Considering how crazy the market has become in recent years and how pivotal Mitro was in our promotion run, and what a perfect fit for our style he is, I'd even pay 40m if Ashely puts that price tag on him. It's just my opinion and of course I understand that we could get more than just one player for that money. But what if these players turn out to be another Fonte or Mitroglou for us. Checking all boxes with scouts, good track record in another league, but then suddenly they turn out to be injury-prone, not fitting our style or not fitting the PL.

Mitrovic didn't fit the style of Rafa Benitez who likes to play quick attack with through passes. In theory, we could buy a higher profile striker than Mitrovic for less money if Newcastle indeed want 40m. But does this new 20m or 30m striker fit our style? We don't know.

I don't think Mitro will cost 40m. For this he would have to win World Cup topscorer, or Serbia make a semi-final run with Mitro standing out. Very unlikely. If he scores 2 or 3 good goals, 30m wouldn't surprise me. Anyway, he should be our top transfer priority!

@jolslover

Quote from: Madman Maddle on June 13, 2018, 07:37:35 PM
Considering how crazy the market has become in recent years and how pivotal Mitro was in our promotion run, and what a perfect fit for our style he is, I'd even pay 40m if Ashely puts that price tag on him. It's just my opinion and of course I understand that we could get more than just one player for that money. But what if these players turn out to be another Fonte or Mitroglou for us. Checking all boxes with scouts, good track record in another league, but then suddenly they turn out to be injury-prone, not fitting our style or not fitting the PL.

Mitrovic didn't fit the style of Rafa Benitez who likes to play quick attack with through passes. In theory, we could buy a higher profile striker than Mitrovic for less money if Newcastle indeed want 40m. But does this new 20m or 30m striker fit our style? We don't know.

I don't think Mitro will cost 40m. For this he would have to win World Cup topscorer, or Serbia make a semi-final run with Mitro standing out. Very unlikely. If he scores 2 or 3 good goals, 30m wouldn't surprise me. Anyway, he should be our top transfer priority!

25m is the max I would pay for Mitrovic I think.
STH H3

Barrett487

Quote from: charliejones141 on June 13, 2018, 06:42:35 PM
I just want us to make a signing. Get Mitro done now.
He won't want the distraction until after the WC is over for Serbia, i would think.

Count Flapula

Quote from: @jolslover on June 13, 2018, 07:51:28 PM
Quote from: Madman Maddle on June 13, 2018, 07:37:35 PM

25m is the max I would pay for Mitrovic I think.

This. Any more would be taking the proverbial.

ffc73

It's Thursday 9 August & we don't have an alternative centre forward, how much do you want Mr Ashley and I'll sign the cheque  051

If these rumoured prices are correct, welcome back to the Premier Money League

KJS

Apart from a few most transfers do not start getting done until 1st July which is when contracts traditionally start / end plus most players / managers are away until then.

Carborundum

Mitrovic is an excellent fit, but the revelation is how a certain type of striker just works so well in our system.  Others can do it and like Mitrovic, may well be playing in systems where they don't currently shine or even get a game.

I'll be happy if Mitrovic runs out for our first home game.  If someone else doing a similar job is there instead of him, that's kind of fine too.  Something about Mitrovic suggests to me that it wouldn't take much for his "I love Fulham" demeanour to mutate into "I'm doing Fulham a favour by being here".   Jokanovic departing for instance.

If he doesn't join us, he's a Fulham favourite for life!