watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Silly Season Summer Transfer Thread 2018/19

Started by Mince n Tatties, May 17, 2018, 05:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Seeing that it appears we have missed out on James Maddison.  We need players of Jack Wilshire  quality, they don't come round that often.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MJG

Quote from: Statto on June 19, 2018, 09:52:42 PM
Quote from: wheelerdeeler on June 19, 2018, 08:33:10 PM
I wouldn't expect us to compete with Everton and Leicester in-terms of transfers, so nor should I with Wolves because it'll most likely be those three competing for 7th next season meanwhile we'll be competing for 17th.

On that point we'll have to agree to disagree. Everton and Leicester have probably received £500m in revenue whilst we've been in the Championship and I don't expect us to spend that. Wolves, however, are a small- to medium-sized club like us that have been in the championship even longer. They've no advantage or edge that isn't accessible to us. If they finish above us, it's because they've done something we didn't have the wherewithal to do. In other words, they'll have been better managed.

As it happens, however, I think Mendes may pull one or two rabbits out the hat but on the whole, we'll recruit as well as they do and finish as high in the league.
Personally I think Wolves are playing a dangerous game. They are going down the poo or bust route in many ways, and even tho they are seemingly getting good players via Mendes, if it all goes wrong they are going to have long term issues. I'd rather build a foundation first rather than a roof first.
Just the views of a long term fan

YoungsBitter

Quote from: Tabby on June 19, 2018, 08:51:58 PM
Quote from: Tabby on June 19, 2018, 11:41:11 AM
Quote from: Barrett487 on June 19, 2018, 10:31:48 AM
More fuel to to the Swedish LB rumour, however the bit about Sess is Hogwash

They're not wrong that it will ramp up speculation. Someone sneezing at Motspur Park would accomplish that, much less a signing that plays as LB and LW.

Lo and behold, their prediction came true: http://football-talk.co.uk/139336/transfer-news-man-utd-tottenham-given-fresh-hope-of-signing-50m-star/
Thats the worst piece of click bait journalism I have seen for ages. So how do you take a boring rumour of journeyman left back going from Bremen to Fulham and make it attractive? Add in £50mm star Sessignon now interesting to Manure and Spuds "now been given fresh hope of signing ". A. Augustinnson would replace Targett and B. Sess plays left wing but dont let that get in the way of some top click bait!
Quark, strangeness and charm

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: YoungsBitter on June 19, 2018, 11:28:05 PM
Quote from: Tabby on June 19, 2018, 08:51:58 PM
Quote from: Tabby on June 19, 2018, 11:41:11 AM
Quote from: Barrett487 on June 19, 2018, 10:31:48 AM
More fuel to to the Swedish LB rumour, however the bit about Sess is Hogwash

They're not wrong that it will ramp up speculation. Someone sneezing at Motspur Park would accomplish that, much less a signing that plays as LB and LW.

Lo and behold, their prediction came true: http://football-talk.co.uk/139336/transfer-news-man-utd-tottenham-given-fresh-hope-of-signing-50m-star/
Thats the worst piece of click bait journalism I have seen for ages. So how do you take a boring rumour of journeyman left back going from Bremen to Fulham and make it attractive? Add in £50mm star Sessignon now interesting to Manure and Spuds "now been given fresh hope of signing ". A. Augustinnson would replace Targett and B. Sess plays left wing but dont let that get in the way of some top click bait!

I wouldn't be disappointed in Augustinnson. Ex-midfielder and good with this feet, top assists for a defender a few years back, only 24, could suit us. If we could get him and perhaps a perm experienced loaner/ free transfer such as Joel ward (plus Sess and Odoi if needed)  I'd be happy with our LB options

Flupp

If we can get Jack Wilshire on a free transfer i would say it would be a great signing.
"take me home al fayed to the place where i belong craven cottage by the river take me home al fayed"

Barrett487

http://sportwitness.co.uk/west-ham-everton-fulham-heading-interest-world-cup-defender-offers-made/

West Ham, Everton Fulham heading interest in World Cup defender, offers made

Besiktas defender Domagoj Vida is being linked with a move to the Premier League with Everton, Fulham and West Ham United reportedly heading the interest.

Vida only joined Beskitas in the last transfer window, and the Turkish club reportedly faced a fight with Everton at the time.

Sozcu say West Ham, Everton and Fulham are currently leading the race for the Croatian international and that offers have been made for the defender.

It's reported the highest bid received by Besiktas is €13m plus €2m add-ons, but the club hasn't been disclosed.

The three Premier League sides will be looking to recruit in this window and the Turkish media insist Vida is an option.

Vida is currently in Russia with the Croatian national team and Besiktas are hoping his value may increase if he has a good World Cup.

The central defender joined Besiktas on a free transfer from Dynamo Kyiv in January, but struggled to cement place in the Turkish side's starting eleven.

Deeping_white

Allegedly interested in Josef De Souza of Fenerbahce and have offered 12m Euros for him according to Goal.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Barrett487 on June 20, 2018, 01:11:54 PM
http://sportwitness.co.uk/west-ham-everton-fulham-heading-interest-world-cup-defender-offers-made/

West Ham, Everton Fulham heading interest in World Cup defender, offers made

Besiktas defender Domagoj Vida is being linked with a move to the Premier League with Everton, Fulham and West Ham United reportedly heading the interest.

Vida only joined Beskitas in the last transfer window, and the Turkish club reportedly faced a fight with Everton at the time.

Sozcu say West Ham, Everton and Fulham are currently leading the race for the Croatian international and that offers have been made for the defender.

It's reported the highest bid received by Besiktas is €13m plus €2m add-ons, but the club hasn't been disclosed.

The three Premier League sides will be looking to recruit in this window and the Turkish media insist Vida is an option.

Vida is currently in Russia with the Croatian national team and Besiktas are hoping his value may increase if he has a good World Cup.

The central defender joined Besiktas on a free transfer from Dynamo Kyiv in January, but struggled to cement place in the Turkish side's starting eleven.

He'd be an excellent signing, aggressive and good will ball at his feet. Can play anywhere across the back four.

Deeping_white

Quote from: Statto on June 20, 2018, 02:20:47 PM
Vida and de Souza both 29. The club are going to have to make a decision at some point: stick with the policy of signing young players, who cost £20m-£30m each at this level, or settle for older players at a fraction of the price but little or no resale potential.

To be honest I'd sort of chuck that policy out of the window until next year when we're confirmed in the prem for another season and get another £120m for staying up. Players in the late 20's will probably have 2-3 seasons at their peak level anyway as players are far better looked after physically nowadays. Therefore as long as we get in good players who will have a few years of playing at their peak ahead of them, prove their worth and still go for a couple million when they're surplus to requirement is probably the way to view this year. Plus they're probably better value for money straight away than young players as you're buying them for current ability rather than what they could become.

LVBPTS

Quote from: Deeping_white on June 20, 2018, 02:26:58 PM
Vida and de Souza both 29. The club are going to have to make a decision at some point: stick with the policy of signing young players, who cost £20m-£30m each at this level, or settle for older players at a fraction of the price but little or no resale potential.

To be honest I'd sort of chuck that policy out of the window until next year when we're confirmed in the prem for another season and get another £120m for staying up. Players in the late 20's will probably have 2-3 seasons at their peak level anyway as players are far better looked after physically nowadays. Therefore as long as we get in good players who will have a few years of playing at their peak ahead of them, prove their worth and still go for a couple million when they're surplus to requirement is probably the way to view this year. Plus they're probably better value for money straight away than young players as you're buying them for current ability rather than what they could become.

have to say i agree with that outlook completely. players needed to almost hit the ground running and although you cant guarantee that with overseas players, i see what your point is
Supporter since 2000

MJG

Thats pretty much the tactic we used and got us relegated.
Just the views of a long term fan

Deeping_white

Quote from: MJG on June 20, 2018, 03:53:57 PM

Thats pretty much the tactic we used and got us relegated.

Well that's not strictly true, we signed players over 30 who were free or loans who were no hopers mostly. I'm saying buy players in late £20's that are decent, not scrape the bargain players who are going to get you relegated. Like yourself over the past few seasons I completely agree with buying younger players who will get better and go up in value, but spending good money on players in their late 20's is slightly different to what got us relegated, even if you do need to be cautious about who you spend money on because increased value doesn't always mean a better player when bringing someone in from a foreign league. Ideally I'd go for a blend of both youth and experience, but I'm not privy to the transfer tactics of the club, nor how much they're willing to spend on a single position or in total so it's irrelevant really.

hovewhite

Younger players who have have the ability in the first place as the PL can be a harsh learning environment,if not then over 25 y.o with a proven track record.
To stay up Khan jr and Co need to get it right first time on this coming season .

FFC1987

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I don't get why age has to be an issue. if its at the right price, the wages aren't outrageous and the manager/club feel the player can add the required attitude and skill set to the squad, I'm not sure why it should be a deal breaker...Krul for instance would be a decent signing if the contracts are appropriate and could really help develop Betts.

Bassey the warrior

I think a broad mix of youth and experience is the way forward.

RP24

Kalas is on holiday with bets and McDonald so he could be signing

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: Robertprocter1 on June 20, 2018, 06:50:09 PM

Fredericks went to Vegas with that group of players. Holidaying together literally means nothing

grandad

Quote from: Newry FFC on June 20, 2018, 07:07:27 PM

Fredericks went to Vegas with that group of players. Holidaying together literally means nothing

The other players put their bar tabs on Fredericks .
Where there's a will there's a wife

RP24

Quote from: Newry FFC on June 20, 2018, 07:07:27 PM

Yeah but that was a team holiday out together by Tony khan by all accounts. This is just the three of them so clearly they must be good mates.