https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (24/05/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 24, 2018, 07:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Who is Aleksandar Mitrovic? The 'killer up front' ready to unsettle Aston Villa

Mitrovic will lead the line for Fulham in the play-off final at Wembley

Meet Aleksandar Mitrovic, a man threatening to ruin Aston Villa's Wembley dream this weekend.

The 23-year old Serbian forward has scored 12 goals for Fulham since joining on loan from Newcastle United in January.

Described by Cottagers boss Slavisa Jokanovic as "showing strength, quality and perseverance", we take a look at what makes him such a threat to Villa in the play-off final on Saturday.

The story of his season

Having begun the season at his parent club, Newcastle United, Mitrovic scored one goal in six appearances as the Toon began their campaign to stay in the Premier League.

He then arrived at Craven Cottage on the final day of the January transfer window and has since become their second highest goalscorer this season. Netting 12 goals to Ryan Sessegnon's 16.

Mitrovic's last goal came in the 2-1 win over Sunderland on 27th April.

What his managers have said

Newcastle United Manager, Rafa Benitez:

"Really pleased (for Aleksandar Mitrovic).

"I have to congratulate him (on Championship player of the month award for March) because he's doing a good job.

"I think it is important for him and good for us too. Aleksandar Mitrovic is a young player, doing well in a good team.

"Everything is positive for him and for us."

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic:

"Aleksandar Mitrovic has shown strength, quality and perseverance to score important goals and assist his teammates too.

"I congratulate him for winning the award for March.

"I expect that he will continue to offer good performances to help the team in this crucial moment of the Championship season."

Serbia manager, Mladen Krstajic:

"Mitrovic was very lucky to be coached by Jokanovic, a coach from Serbia who knows him very well.

"Mitrovic did a very good thing in choosing to come to Fulham.

"I'm sure that after the loan he will move to an even bigger, better club, where he can do much better.

"Personally, it's a great pleasure to have a player such as Mitrovic in our squad.

"He's a killer up front, which he proved against Nigeria."

What he has said

"From the first minute here, I adapted really fast and my team-mates have helped me a lot.

"I feel good to play every game on the pitch so I hope that we'll be able to fight for automatic promotion for the rest of the season.

"I needed to leave Newcastle because I needed game time and needed games in my legs and I was desperate to play football, to be on the pitch, to score goals.

"It works perfectly for me, I really enjoy it here, my family enjoy it and I hope it continues.

"The manager, obviously being Serbian too, helped me a lot and the style they play, the players they have, I like a lot."

On getting to the play-off final:

"This is the reason I came here. It is unbelievable. I think we deserve to get promoted as we play good football and created chances. I am so proud and so happy"

How can Villa stop him?

Mitrovic has shown in his time at Newcastle that he can have a tendency to get frustrated and kick out at an opposition player, having missed seven games for Newcastle in the 15/16 season due to red card offences.

Villa may try to use this to their advantage and attempt to frustrate the Serbian, this is where the experience of players like John Terry and Alan Hutton in defence may become useful.

Including Mile Jedinak in the team may also offer a better physical presence when dealing with the 6ft 2in striker.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-fulham-play-final-14691003

WhiteJC

The latest news on the fitness of Aston Villa star Ahmed Elmohamady

An injury update on Ahmed Elmohamady

Ahmed Elmohamady will require a late fitness check before Villa take on Fulham in Saturday's play-off final.

The right-back is Villa's only doubt after withdrawing late in the semi-final first leg victory over Middlesbrough with a hamstring injury.

Elmohamady sat out of the return leg but has trained this week and is pushing for a recall.

Boss Steve Bruce said:

"He's trained today, and yesterday so we'll see how he is.

"We'll give him every chance and give him another thorough workout on Friday.

"The one thing, going into a play-off final at Wembley, if you're not 100 per-cent, it's a big sapping pitch so you need to be right.

"But he's got a chance."

James Bree is standing in line to fill in if Elmohamady misses out.

The youngster replaced the Egyptian last time out.

Apart from Elmohamady, Villa have no other injury concerns and Bruce is expected to stick with the same players that did the business in the semi-final.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/latest-news-fitness-aston-villa-14696016

WhiteJC

History Is On Villa's Side This Weekend Against Fulham

The EFL have produced their round of previews ahead of this Saturday's Championship Play-Off Final between Aston Villa and Fulham, and one piece in particular stood out to me.

They leaned on Opta to produce a number based facts and figures piece ahead of the game, and clearly Aston Villa go into the game with history on our and Steve Bruce's side.

Never against learning something new, this is Fulham's first appearance in a Play-Off Final in their history and that was tagged number 1 in their list.

You'll notice the pattern when I jump to number 5 in the list and tell you that was the number of points between both sides in the regular season.

But that's enough about Fulham, I'm not doing the London media's job for them.

What stood out to me was how heavily Bruce naturally applies himself to such a piece given his managerial career over the years.

2 – Two Play-Off wins out of two.
2 – Two former Hull players will Play-Off experience in the shape of Robert Snodgrass and Ahmed Elmohamady who reunited with Bruce at Villa.

3 – Bruce is set to become the third manager to manage in three second-tier Play-Off Finals. He follows in the footsteps of our very own Brian Little and Ian Holloway apparently.

4 – With four promotions under Brucie's belt already, one more will continue to see him tied with the anti-football rent-a-gob Neil Warnock when it comes to promotion successes.

Add that to sirdennis' joy at the official appointed for the game – Click Here – and, as JPA rightly pointed out, the very date itself – Click Here – history is with us.

So, let's play like it!

https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/history-is-on-villas-side-this-weekend-against-fulham/

WhiteJC

Wembley Stadium sale: Theresa May says she won't intervene in 'private matter' after bid from Shahid Khan

The Prime Minister's spokesman attempts to row back after she says the Wembley sale is not a matter for the government.

Shahid Khan has made a £600m bid for Wembley Stadium

Theresa May has been criticised for dismissing football fans' concerns over the potential sale of Wembley Stadium to Pakistani-American billionaire Shahid Khan.

The Prime Minister was asked on Wednesday about a £600m bid from Mr Khan, who already owns Fulham FC and American football team the Jacksonville Jaguars.

MPs are investigating the proposal, revealed earlier this month, to ensure any proceeds "benefit the long-term future of the game".

Labour's Justin Madders raised the potential sale at Prime Minister's Questions, saying Chelsea's 1-0 win against Manchester United on Saturday could be the last FA Cup final at Wembley Stadium before it is sold to an overseas owner.

He asked: "When the Premier League has spent hundreds of millions of pounds on wages and transfers does the prime minister agree with me there is actually more than enough money in the game for there to be no need to sell off this asset?"

Mrs May retorted: "That is a decision for the owners of Wembley. That is a private matter; it is not a matter for the government."

Tom Watson, Labour's shadow culture secretary, later hit back, saying it was not a "private matter".

"It's our national stadium and fans have to be heard," he wrote on Twitter.

"We are deeply sceptical of the proposal to sell Wembley."

Mrs May's spokesman later rowed back on her dismissal, repeating her comments following the original announcement.

"At the time I said it was a commercial matter but that the prime minister urged the FA to consider the view of the fans," he said.

A stadium was first erected on the site where Wembley stands today in 1923 and was reopened in 2007 after a £757m rebuild.

https://news.sky.com/story/theresa-may-calls-wembley-stadium-sale-private-matter-as-she-dismisses-calls-to-intervene-11382957

WhiteJC

Aston Villa ticket update: More Wembley tickets made available!

Aston Villa fans, you better move fast!

Aston Villa have announced a limited amount of tickets have been released for the play-off final against Fulham this weekend.

Villa posted details of the extra tickets on Twitter and stated that fans meeting the criteria will be able to try and buy them.

The criteria is fans with a home booking history for 2017/2018.

They have reiterated that tickets will not be available on general sale.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-ticket-update-more-14696476

WhiteJC

Great news emerges for Fulham ahead of crunch Aston Villa final

Fulham have a full squad available for the play-off final against Aston Villa on Saturday.

The Cottagers come into this game on the back of a 2-1 aggregate victory over Derby thanks to a strong attacking performance, at home, in the second leg which Derby's defence couldn't cope with.

Villa will be a tougher nut to crack, though, due to their strong spine as well as Steve Bruce's organisational ability, which has helped create a formidable defensive platform for the team.

Both sides won the home games during the regular season, so it will be interesting to see which team is able to adapt best to the neutral setting as well as the huge pitch.

Jokanovic announced the team news in his press conference:

The Verdict

This is great news for Fulham going into this match because they have a really strong first XI who bring the best out of their high risk, high reward style. Some of the squad players fit in well, but the system just isn't as fluid with them in it.

It's also good news for neutrals because both clubs are Championship heavyweights, so injuries only take away from the quality of the clash. Based on preparation for the game, Fulham will only have themselves to blame if they don't come away victorious because they were better in the regular season and all the key players are fit for the occasion.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fantastic-news-emerges-for-fulham-ahead-of-crunch-aston-villa-final/

WhiteJC

Jokanovic reveals a Fulham tactic that he hopes will damage Aston Villa on Saturday

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has revealed his side are going to to target John Terry as they look to secure promotion to the Premier League.

The former Chelsea centre-back has enjoyed a successful season with Aston Villa in the second tier and was named in the EFL Championship team of the year recently.

However, Jokanovic told the press ahead of the huge final that they will go after the 37-year old on Saturday evening at the national stadium.

"John Terry has played so many games at Wembley, but we are going to put him under pressure from strong and fast players, and we hope he can make some mistakes."

That would suggest that Jokanovic is planning on sticking with the same side going forward that beat Derby in the semi-final.

Whilst most of the side picks itself, the right-forward position is up for debate but Aboubakar Kamara played the second leg against the Rams and did well with his pace and power.

Whoever plays in that position will come up against Terry at times, as he is the left centre-back for Steve Bruce's men.

The Verdict

It's perhaps surprising to see Jokanovic talk about Terry specifically as he is usually very cautious with the press and safe with what he says.

However, Terry won't mind and he will relish the challenge. Given his age, most teams will have wanted to target him and run at him but Villa's set up, combined with his experience mean he's rarely been shown up this season.

He will hope to deal with Kamara and particularly Aleksandar Mitrovic as that battle will have a big say on who wins the final.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/jokanovic-reveals-a-fulham-tactic-that-he-hopes-will-damage-aston-villa-on-saturday/

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic says they have one chance to cross magic line

Slavisa Jokanovic says Fulham have "one opportunity" to cross the line into the Premier League.

Fulham take on Aston Villa in the Championship play-off final on Saturday at Wembley, live on Sky.

The Cottagers are a game away from returning to the top flight for the first time since 2014 having overturned a first-leg deficit to beat Derby 2-1 in the play-off semi-finals.

The Fulham manager said: "We have one opportunity to cross this magic line and we know our responsibility, we know how important it is.

"I am not thinking about different things, I am thinking of this 90 minutes or 120 or some minutes after this extra time. We are ready for everything."

Fulham fell at the semi-final stage last season losing to Reading, 2-1 on aggregate, and Jokanovic is aware of the pressure his team may face.

"Pressure is part of this business too. To lose, is a kind of depression, that you know how everyone around you feels, the supporters, the board or the club," he added.

"We have enough experience to handle this situation and I am going to try and show my best face and perform well.

"We play great football and have the opportunity to win the game. It is two great teams who play different styles, but we are going to try and move a little bit more.

"Try and surprise, score goals from set pieces, after some individual action, after some offensive transition.

"We will follow our style. It is not a question about taking risks or not, it is to try and dominate the situation, put these people under some kind of stress.

"In Villa, we are going to find some experienced players and they are not going to be surprised at playing in this stadium.

"They will be confident but we must take ourselves out of that situation, be aggressive and try and win the game."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11382988/fulham-manager-slavisa-jokanovic-says-they-have-one-chance-to-cross-magic-line

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic urges his side to seize their chance to reach the Premier League: 'We have one opportunity to cross the magic line'

Slavisa Jokanovic leads his Fulham side into the playoff final on Saturday
    Fulham have been training ahead of their big match against Aston Villa
    Jokanovic has urged his players to seize their big opportunity of promotion
    He said: 'We have one opportunity to cross the magic line. We are ready'

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic has urged his side to 'cross the magic line' ahead of this weekend's Sky Bet Championship play-off final.

The Cottagers take on Aston Villa at Wembley on Saturday for a chance to return to the Premier League after four seasons in the second tier.

Jokanovic's men had a brilliant campaign, going on a 23-game unbeaten run, but missed out on automatic promotion on the final day.

Slavisa Jokanovic has urged his side to seize their chance at glory in the play-off final

Ryan Sessegnon was the picture of focus as he trained with his team-mates on Wednesday

They overcame that disappointment to beat Derby in the semi-finals and Jokanovic wants the job finished.

The Serbian said: 'I arrived here two and a half years ago fighting against relegation, we must try and make great steps, we have a great opportunity to bring this club back.

'We are now at the front of an important chance. We are going to follow our style and be confident we will cross the line.

'There is a huge job ahead of myself. It is an opportunity for a side to be part of the best league in the world.

'That is a big motivation for us. Behind us is one great season but we can't think about past games.

'We have one opportunity to cross the magic line. I am thinking about the 90 minutes, the 120 minutes if we need it. We are ready for everything.

Tomas Kalas is among the Fulham players desperate to secure promotion to the top flight

Marcus Bettinelli will be in goal as Fulham take on Aston Villa for a spot in the Premier League

'We are playing a massive club, we know what we are going to face.

'It's a huge game, it can be a Premier League game, but not next season.

'This is the final, an important game and everyone wants to do what they can do to make the step.'

Fulham come up against a Villa side who are rich in experience, both on and off the field.

No manager has won more promotions to the Premier League than Steve Bruce, while their team is littered with players who have been there and done it - not least centre-back John Terry.

In contrast, the Cottagers are a young team, but one that Jokanovic has full faith in.

'We are playing a massive club, we know what we are going to face.

'It's a huge game, it can be a Premier League game, but not next season.

'This is the final, an important game and everyone wants to do what they can do to make the step.'

Fulham come up against a Villa side who are rich in experience, both on and off the field.

No manager has won more promotions to the Premier League than Steve Bruce, while their team is littered with players who have been there and done it - not least centre-back John Terry.

In contrast, the Cottagers are a young team, but one that Jokanovic has full faith in.

Tim Ream wanders out to the training pitches at Fulham's Motspur Park Training Ground

Aboubakar Kamara stretches with his team-mates wearing a fetching pair of pink boots

'They have players who have experienced playing in this stadium,' he said.

'We are the youngest team, one with more energy, we believe in our style, we believe we can dominate the situation, we believe we can score the goals.

'We have assessed the strengths and weaknesses of the Villa side.'

And the Serbian also has a plan for Terry, whom he played with at Chelsea.

'We are going to try and put up against him some fast and strong players and I hope he makes a mistake,' he added.

'All of us can make some mistakes and I expect he might make some mistake.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5762805/Fulham-boss-Slavisa-Jokanovic-urges-seize-chance.html#ixzz5GPAohy5K
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Even Aston Villa fans will appreciate this generous gesture from a famous Fulham supporter

The TV star offered to help out supporters who couldn't afford tickets for Championship play-off final at Wembley

We all know a day out to Wembley can be expensive - factor in the ticket price, food and drink and you'll be parting with some serious cash.

Indeed tickets for the Championship play-off final between Aston Villa and Fulham on Saturday ranged from £36 to a whopping £98 for adults.

Fulham fan and Pointless presenter Richard Osman, wanting to do his bit to help supporters who couldn't afford to snap up seats for themselves as well as their children, offered to help with a brilliant gesture.

He had tickets to offer to fans and asked for Whites fans to contact him on Twitter ahead of the game.

"So excited/nervous about Fulham in the play-off final on Saturday. What a day it will be," he wrote.

"I'm aware tickets are v expensive. Any Fulham parents desperate to take kids but can't afford?

"DMs open for a bit."

That was on Tuesday, and by Wednesday the tickets were all gone.

He tweeted: "Tickets all gone to good homes! Have a lovely day everyone #ffc #COYW".

Here's hoping Villa do the business - but that it doesn't prove a pointless experience for those lucky Fulham fans off to the game courtesy of the TV star.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/even-aston-villa-fans-appreciate-14697344

WhiteJC

Here's how Fulham fan Hugh Grant has trolled Aston Villa supporter Tom Hanks

It's a clash worthy of any Hollywood blockbuster

The build up to the Championship Play-Off Final between Aston Villa and Fulham is hotting up - so much so that two Hollywood stars are at loggerheads over who comes out on top.

Yesterday, Aston Villa super-fan Tom Hanks pledged his support for Villa and said he was rooting for the club on their big day.

Now, Fulham''s famous fan Hugh Grant has sent the Toy Story and Forrest Gump star a cheeky message on Twitter trolling the Hollywood star ahead of the game.

Grant tweeted: "Who are ya?"

Come on Hanksy, don't let him get away with that. tell him about 1982...

Villa are hopeful that Hollywood superstar Tom Hanks will be roaring on the team at Wembley on Saturday.

Keith Wyness has extended an invite to the star of Toy Story and Castaway as the club's special guest of honour alongside HRH Prince William, who it is also hoped will attend/

Hanks sent the following message to the team on Twitter and the club hope he can roar them on in person if his schedule allows it.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/heres-how-fulham-fan-hugh-14698747

WhiteJC

Football fans warned of Wembley play-off train delays

Football fans are being warned of long wait times if they are travelling by train to Wembley this weekend.

The quickest rail route between Birmingham and London for the 38,000 Aston Villa supporters travelling to Saturday's Championship play-off final against Fulham, will be blocked.

Network Rail is carrying out a major signalling project between Birmingham New Street and Coventry.

Chiltern Railways has added extra capacity to its London-bound route.

Rail bosses said wait times may be longer than the match itself, with delays expecting to last 90 minutes or longer.

'Never a good time'
Extra staff will be deployed to deal with the crowds.

Shrewsbury Town and Coventry City are also playing at Wembley over the bank holiday weekend, in the League One and League Two play-off finals respectively, and their fans are also being urged to plan ahead.

Eleni Jordan, Chiltern Railways commercial director said: "Customers travelling to Wembley over the weekend should be aware that queuing systems will be in place at Birmingham Moor Street, London Marylebone and Wembley Stadium stations, and there may be queues of 90 minutes or longer in both directions."

Martin Frobisher, a route managing director for Network Rail, said: "Improvement work on the railway is planned years in advance, ahead of any short-term scheduling of sporting events and knowing which teams will compete in finals.

"There is never a good time to carry out big pieces of work but we plan it over bank holidays - which are traditionally quieter times - to affect the fewest number of people."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44235345

WhiteJC

Play-Off Opening Hours

Fans are advised that on the day of the Sky Bet Championship Play-Off Final, the Stadium Store at Craven Cottage will be open from 8am-4pm.

The Store will also be open late until 7pm on the Friday, for any last minute purchases before matchday!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/may/24/play-off-opening-hours

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic unfazed by talk of Fulham players leaving if they do not get promoted

Slavisa Jokanovic, the Fulham manager, has insisted he has not thought about his future beyond Saturday's Championship play-off final, despite speculation that a string of key figures will leave the club if they cannot seal promotion to the Premier League.

Jokanovic, who has turned Fulham into one of the Championship's most attractive sides, has been linked with a move and is likely to be in demand this summer.

Speaking ahead of the match against Aston Villa at Wembley, Jokanovic refused to discuss either his future or the prospect of key players leaving.

Tom Cairney, Fulham's captain, warned this month that the club needed to be in the Premier League next season if they wanted to keep the team together. Cairney has been linked with a move to West Ham United, while Ryan Sessegnon and Ryan Fredericks have also been targeted by top-flight clubs.

Jokanovic, who has one year remaining on his deal, said: "I have a contract and that's it. I am not thinking about the future. This game is so huge that I do not know what I am going to do on Sunday morning.

"To be honest, I do not care. I am not thinking about this. I am only thinking about the job ahead of us. We want to fight to bring Fulham to the place we believe they belong."

The 49-year-old added that he believed Fulham could "dominate" Steve Bruce's Villa with their high-intensity, possession-based style of football.

Fulham were defeated 2-1 at Villa Park in October, but won 2-0 when the sides met again in February. Jokanovic said his players would attempt to target Villa's John Terry, the 37-year-old centre-back who played alongside Jokanovic at Chelsea from 2000 to 2002.

"We are going to try to put against him some fast and some stronger players," said Jokanovic. "I hope he will make some mistakes. This is the kind of impact I expect from his side. All of us can make mistakes. I expect some mistakes from his side and that's it."

In Terry and James Chester, his defensive partner, Villa boast an experienced back-line, as well as former Premier League players Mile Jedinak, Glenn Whelan, Robert Snodgrass and Alan Hutton.

Jokanovic, however, believes his younger side, who enjoyed a 23-game unbeaten run during the regular season, will have the required energy to overcome the more wily Villa, who finished fourth in the Championship, one place behind Fulham.

"When you talk about experience, you are talking about the past," Jokanovic said. "Terry is a fantastic player, Chester is a fantastic player. They have experience playing in this stadium. But probably they cannot be in their best level right now.

"We are the youngest team, the team with more energy. We believe in our style. We believe we can dominate the situation. Experience in life is important but it is not everything."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/23/slavisa-jokanovic-unfazed-talk-fulham-players-leaving-do-not/