watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (25/05/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 25, 2018, 07:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

We asked a Fulham expert about Ryan Sessegnon: Here's what he told Aston Villa to look out for

The 18-year-old wonder kid has been one of the stars of the Championship season

Fulham reporter Ryan O'Donovan has given his thoughts on Fulham's highly rated young winger, Ryan Sessegnon, ahead of Saturday's Championship play-off final clash with Aston Villa.

The 18-year old has scored 16 goals this season and is Fulham's leading goal scorer for the campaign. He has also contributed 6 assists and his achievements are even more impressive considering he only turned 18 this month.

In the video O'Donovan, from football.london, states that Sessegnon has "really gone on to make a name for himself. He's scored 16 goals playing from that left-wing position which looks to be his favoured position."

Sessegnon broke into Fulham's first team as a left-back before being moved forward into a left-wing role by Jokanovic, sparking his goal-scoring exploits.

He ended the season by being nominated for the PFA young player of the year award and winning the Championship player of the season.

Sessegnon was also recognised by the London Football Awards where he received Best Player and Best Young Player.

His manager at Fulham, Slavisa Jokanovic, had this to say about him:

"He's focused and concentrated on improving himself, he's shown a great level of self-belief and he's clinical when the ball arrives to him in the box," said the boss

"He wants to be top level and push himself and I'm sure he'll be at that level soon.

"He's 18-years-old and he's special. At this stage (of his career) it's really fantastic, but at the end he knows it's about focusing and concentrating if he wants to prove himself."

You can watch Ryan's verdict in full in the video at the top of this piece.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/asked-fulham-expert-ryan-sessegnon-14697667

WhiteJC

Steve Bruce cuts 'feisty' training session short as Aston Villa prepare for Fulham

Fulham take on Villa in the Championship final on Saturday with both sides chomping at the bit ahead of the play-off final

Aston Villa boss Steve Bruce was forced to cut a 'feisty' training session short on Tuesday with a mini-match between his players getting too competitive ahead of the Fulham game.

The Whites take on Villa in the Championship play-off final on Saturday at Wembley, with a place in the Premier League at stake and it looks like Bruce's men are taking each training session as if it was the day itself.

Fulham opened their doors for the first ten minutes of training on Wednesday and it looked a relaxed atmosphere in the west London camp, with the players enjoying a few jokes as they went through their drills.

But up in the Midlands, Bruce was pleased the see his side so eager to put in the big tackles four days before the final.

He said: "I used to say when you can smell the hot dogs there's a big occasion around the corner.

"On Tuesday I had to stop training early because they were champing at the bit - too early. It got a bit feisty to say the least.

"It was very, very interesting. It's not a bad sign. I'm not against it at all. It's normal.

"We just stepped in and cut it a little short - shall we put it that way. And I hadn't even revealed the team then."

Meanwhile, Slavisa Jokanovic wasn't interested in chatting about speculation that his Fulham side could be torn apart if they don't gain promotion on Saturday.

(Image: Victoria Jones/PA Wire)

Ryan Fredericks, Tom Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon's futures are all subject to rumours ahead of the biggest game of the season, but the head coach is only focused on getting the side back to the Premier League.

He said: "To be honest, I do not care. I am not thinking about this. I am only thinking about the job ahead of us.

"We want to fight to bring Fulham to the place we believe they belong."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/steve-bruce-cuts-feisty-training-14698989

WhiteJC

Fulham boss focused on 'huge' Wembley clash

Slavisa Jokanovic says he is focused solely on Fulham's date with destiny on Saturday and not speculation about his future.

Jokanovic leads the Whites into this weekend's Championship play-off final against Aston Villa, knowing victory would end a four-year hiatus from the Premier League.

His work in making Fulham one of the most attractive teams to watch this season has seen him linked to a return to Chelsea – where he was a player in the early 2000s – with Antonio Conte's position remaining in doubt.

But that is not going to be a distraction to the Serb, who took over at Craven Cottage in 2015 and turned the club from relegation battlers to promotion contenders.

"I have an important enough job this moment to think about this kind of thing," he said. "I am thinking only about the final, I don't have time to think about things like this.

"We are not thinking about my future, I am not talking about players' future.

"The only important thing is Saturday afternoon. I have the contract, this game is so huge, so massive.

"I don't know what I am going to do on Sunday morning, only what is immediately ahead of us.

"At the end I am here for two-and-a-half years, when I arrived we were fighting relegation battle.

"We showed clear improvement and we want to fight for bringing Fulham to a place where we believe we belong. We are in with a chance."

Jokanovic's men had a brilliant campaign, going on a 23-game unbeaten run, but missed out on automatic promotion on the final day.

They overcame that disappointment to beat Derby in the semi-finals and Jokanovic wants his side to "cross the magic line" at Wembley.

He said: "We are now at the front of an important chance. We are going to follow our style and be confident we will cross the line.

"There is a huge job ahead of myself. It is an opportunity for a side to be part of the best league in the world.

"That is a big motivation for us. Behind us is one great season but we can't think about past games.

"We have one opportunity to cross the magic line. I am thinking about the 90 minutes, the 120 minutes if we need it. We are ready for everything.

"We are playing a massive club, we know what we are going to face.

"It's a huge game, it can be a Premier League game, but not next season.

"This is the final, an important game and everyone wants to do what they can do to make the step."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/chelsea/fulham-boss-plays-down-chelsea-link-ahead-of-huge-game-against-aston-villa

WhiteJC

Fulham want to sign £15m-rated Aleksandar Mitrovic from Newcastle... but transfer rests on promotion hopes

Fulham want to sign Aleksandar Mitrovic from Newcastle United on a permanent basis if they are promoted to the Premier League.

Mitrovic has scored 12 goals since moving to Fulham on loan in January and the club are keen to buy the £15million-rated striker.

The 23-year-old Serbian will be allowed to leave Newcastle, but Fulham's hopes of signing him rest on whether they beat Aston Villa in Saturday's play-off final at Wembley.

Mitrovic's form at Craven Cottage has also alerted other clubs.

Newcastle manager Rafael Benitez wants to off-load Mitrovic, who won the Championship Player of the Month Awards for March and April.

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has given Mitrovic a platform to play before the World Cup and will hope he can convince his compatriot to stay if the club go up.

Jokanovic, meanwhile, says he has not thought about his future beyond Saturday's play-off final.

The 49-year-old will be in demand this summer because of the job he has done at Fulham and Chelsea have added him to their list of possible successors to Antonio Conte.

Jokanovic, who has one year left on his contract at Craven Cottage, said: "I am only thinking about the final and I do not have time to think about different things.

"I have enough important jobs at the moment to think about these kinds of situations. I have a contract and that is it. I am not thinking about my future or about players' futures. What is important is the game against Villa. After this game, we are going to see.

"A huge job is ahead of my team and myself. It is an opportunity to be part of the best football league in the world. It is one game where we have an opportunity to cross this magic line."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-want-to-sign-15m-aleksandar-mitrovic-newcastle-transfer-rests-on-promotion-a3847336.html

WhiteJC

Hibs boss hoping to keep McGeouch

Neil Lennon has not given up on persuading Dylan McGeouch to stay at Hibernian after revealing the midfielder could be set for a change of heart.

The Hibs boss previously admitted the out-of-contract Scotland squad member, 25, had decided it was time to move on.

England was expected to be his next move, with Fulham, Brentford and QPR all interested in the former Celtic man.

But Lennon is clinging to the hope that McGeouch might decide against heading south and instead sign a new deal to remain in Edinburgh.

Lennon said: "It's an interesting one with Dylan because it's not done yet. We are still in there fighting for that.

"We've a small chink of light. The way he was after his last game we more or less felt that may be it but there's still some movement there.

"The club have made him what we feel is a very good offer."

Blackburn and Aberdeen are also among clubs keen on McGeouch

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/midfielder-made-very-good-offer-as-bees-fulham-and-qpr-show-interest

WhiteJC

Fulham manager sends strong message to the board ahead of a potential Premier League campaign

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic wants the club's owners to match his ambition ahead of next season, according to The London Evening Standard.

Ahead of the play-off final this weekend, Fulham boss Jokanovic wants assurances from the board that they will be ambitious in the summer transfer window.

Jokanovic, who has recently been mentioned as a target for the Chelsea job, will sit down for talks over his future with the club's owners after Saturday's crunch match.

Fulham face Aston Villa at Wembley on Saturday with the winners earning themselves a coveted place in next season's Premier League campaign.

Should the Cottagers win promotion, Jokanovic wants them to be ambitious and target some top players to keep them afloat in the top flight, as well as keeping stars like Ryan Sessegnon, Tom Cairney and Ryan Fredericks.

Jokanovic will ask the board to match his ambition this summer if they do go up, with owner Shahid Khan already stating that he wants to spend money to not only stay in the league, but compete higher up the division.

The 42-year-old Serbian has just one year left to run on his deal at Craven Cottage and that has alerted teams who are looking for a new manager.

The Verdict

It is about time Jokanovic gets to manage in the Premier League and he will be desperate to do that in a familiar and settled environment – like he has at Fulham.

If the Cottagers beat Aston Villa, they need to splash the cash to land Aleksandar Mitrovic permanently, add a few more faces to their first-team squad and keep their star men.

This is the minimum ambition Jokanovic will demand and the board needs to do all it can to keep the key man happy.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-manager-sends-strong-message-to-the-board-ahead-of-a-potential-premier-league-campaign/

WhiteJC

Kalas the joker, but where was Djalo? Behind the scenes at Fulham open training

Football.London watched from the sidelines as Slavisa Jokanovic's squad trained ahead of the play-off final

Fulham opened the doors of Motspur Park to the press on Wednesday ahead of the Championship play-off final with Aston Villa, with training first on the agenda.

Slavisa Jokanovic's men know it's win or bust for their hopes of getting promoted to the Premier League in what is possibly the biggest game the side have faced since the Europa League final back in 2010.

With just a couple of days left until the final, the players were put through their paces once more at Motspur Park as they put the finishing touches on their preparation for 'the richest game in football' at Wembley.

And the side were in good spirits as they went through their warm-ups in front of the media in the glorious sunshine that engulfed the training pitches just days before heading out into a play-off final.

As Jokanovic officially revealed in his press conference a few hours later, all the side were fit and ready for the final, with the head coach having a full squad to choose from ahead of the game.

Here's what else we took from Fulham's open training session.

Good spirits

The side were certainly in good spirits at training, despite the massive game looming over them.

The early birds, like Ollie Norwood and the Sessegnon twins, had a bit of a kick about before training got underway properly and it had a throwback to Sunday league sides, pre-game preparation, where everyone just lashes a ball about for a bit.

But once Jokanovic had everyone in a huddle and got training underway, game faces were on and the side went through their warm-up routines with the professionalism you'd expect.

(Image: Victoria Jones/PA Wire)

That said, it became clear before long who the jokers are in the side - despite losing his place at centre back to Denis Odoi after injury, Tomas Kalas was laughing and joking his whole way through, clearly enjoying himself in front of the cameras.

There seemed to be a real togetherness too - there's cliques at the club like there is anywhere, but on the training pitch it was clear that everyone is striving for the same goal: promotion to the Premier League.

Youth exposure to the first team

We know that Jokanovic is a big believer in youth - Ryan Sessegnon's rise from the Academy to first team is testament to that - but we got to see who else is training with the first team too.

Steven Sessegnon, Luca de la Torre and Marlon Fossey were all included in training ahead of the play-off final, and while it's very unlikely either of those will play a part, it's encouraging to see the youngsters gaining the exposure.

Steven Sessegnon and de la Torre have both made their first team bows this season, but we're yet to see Fossey, the 19-year-old American, make his debut yet.

Fossey is a defender and has represented the States at youth level and won the U20 CONCACAF Championships in 2017, but missed out on the U20 World Cup with injury.

He's been at the Academy since he was 11 and we could certainly see him making an appearance in the EFL Cup next season, regardless of what division the team are in.

Luca Ashby-Hammond was back training with the goalkeepers after his disappointment with England U17s in the Euros last week, while Magnus Norman was also working out with the goalkeeper union.

Notably missing were Tayo Edun and Matt O'Riley - Edun made his league debut against Derby County in November while O'Riley made his first appearance against Wycombe Wanderers in the EFL Cup in August.

Both of those have been training with the first team this season, but suffered injuries this campaign which has seen them sit this out.

Where is Marcelo Djalo?

Djalo didn't take part in training on Wednesday, and hasn't made a first team appearance since December 9 and the 1-0 victory over Birmingham City.

He's well down the pecking order at Fulham since arriving in the summer and has only made four appearances in total, with Kalas, Odoi and Tim Ream all ahead of him in the centre back position.

He was at Motspur Park in his training gear but didn't take part in the session .

On the other hand, the also lesser-seen Ibrahima Cisse was present, despite not having made a first team appearance since the loss at Villa Park all the way back in October.

A possible loan move was touted for him in January but that fell through, and he's come nowhere near making an appearance since October, with his last game coming in the Checkatrade Trophy with the U21 side in 3-1 win over Crawley Town at the back end of November.

While they'll play no part at Wembley on Saturday, it'll be interesting to see what happens to them in the summer months.

What next for the side?

This could've been the last time we were at Motspur Park at the same time as some of these players, and we could well have been watching one of their final sessions at Fulham.

Whatever happens on Saturday, there's set to be changes in personnel at the club over the summer, but what next for the side?

If they're promoted to the Premier League, what is the next step for the group of players that Jokanovic has assembled at Fulham?

Safety would be the first priority, but these players are ambitious and will want more than just to play in the Premier League to be safe.

But on the other hand, if they don't win on Saturday and it's another season in the Championship, we'll more than likely see a new-look Fulham side next season.

The aim then will be the same - to achieve promotion, but Saturday is the best chance they have

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/kalas-joker-djalo-behind-scenes-14699098

WhiteJC

Championship Play-off Final Preview: Players to Watch

On Saturday 26th May, Aston Villa and Fulham will compete for football's biggest cash prize: The Championship play-off final. Although to the neutral it may be nothing more than an appetiser for the Champions League final, it's an enormous game for two clubs battling to return to the Premier League.

The Championship Play-off Final: Five to Watch
Fulham have enjoyed a wonderful season, narrowly missing out on automatic promotion on the final day. Former Watford manager Slaviša Jokanović's side play a possessive style of football, as evidenced by the stats. Fulham finished top of the average possession table for the season with 55%. Furthermore, they also had the highest pass accuracy (83%) and shortest pass length (17m). Importantly, they've been able to translate their dominance into goals scored (76, second highest) and chances created (448, third highest).

Aston Villa started the season sluggishly, winning just one of their first five games. Steve Bruce's side, though, turned this around. A steady season saw them reach the play-offs comfortably. Their solid defence provides security for their plethora of attacking options. Like Fulham, Villa have scored a high number of goals, particularly from set pieces. This could be key on Saturday. Villa have a clear aerial advantage over Fulham, who are ninth bottom in headed goals conceded this season.

Sam Johnstone
The Manchester United loanee has been vital to their efforts this season and will need to perform on Saturday. The keeper can consider himself lucky to be available for the final following his handling of the ball outside of the area during their semi-final win. He kept an impressive 20 clean sheets this season, despite being one of the league's busier keepers, making 106 saves during the campaign (seventh highest). The loanee will have the opportunity to play in the Premier League next season, with rumoured interest from Cardiff, so defeat on Saturday means this could be Johnstone's final appearance for Villa.

Albert Adomah
Adomah finished the season in fine form, resulting in a call-up to the Ghana squad for pre-World Cup friendlies. He also won Villa's Player of the Season award and was named in the EFL team of the season. Fulham are susceptible to the counter and Adomah's pace will be key in exploiting this. An impressive Championship Play-off final will see a fitting end to a good season.

Robert Snodgrass
Another Premier League loanee, Snodgrass has added an extra touch of class since his arrival in August. The midfielder has weighed in with seven goals and 14 assists this season. With Fulham vulnerable in the air defensively, his quality of delivery could make a key difference.

Tom Cairney
Fulham's captain and playmaker has had another impressive season, thus drawing interest from West Ham in January. Cairney's inclusion in listings for EFL Player of the Season award and team of the season recognising his achievement. Cairney keeps the ball well, his pass accuracy of 91% the team's highest. He creates chances for others, also weighing in with five goals of his own this season.

Ryan Sessegnon
Sessegnon has been Fulham's star this season. The recently turned eighteen-year-old was not included in Gareth Southgate's World Cup squad.   

An international debut may not be long after. The full-back turned winger has scored 15 goals whilst creating 49 chances in 44 appearances this season and has been rewarded with the Championship player of the season award. Furthermore, he became the first non-Premier League player to be nominated for the PFA Young Player of the Season award. His raw pace and trickery, developed via cage football in his childhood, have left defenders answerless all season. Alan Hutton will therefore have to be on his game to stop him on Saturday.

Aleksandar Mitrovic
Since joining on loan in February, Mitrovic has been in excellent form, scoring 11 goals in 15 appearances. Previously regarded as a loose cannon at Newcastle, Mitrovic has positively channelled his passion at Craven Cottage. At times his play has been too good for the division, his strength and quality obvious. He has been aerially dominant, winning 51% of his aerial duels. Quality service from Sessegnon and Fredericks could lead to John Terry and James Chester having a stressful Championship Play-off final.

http://lastwordonfootball.com/2018/05/24/championship-play-off-final/

WhiteJC

John Terry v Aleksandar Mitrovic: The Key Battle in the Sky Bet Championship play-off final

John Terry versus Aleksandar Mitrovic is the key battle when Aston Villa face Fulham in the Championship play-off final

The 2018 Sky Bet Championship play-off final is set to produce an intriguing encounter between serial Wembley winner John Terry and Fulham's in-form Serb Aleksandar Mitrovic.

The decorated 37-year-old defender has made 836 appearances for club and country and won 15 major trophies, lifting five major Cups at Wembley as Chelsea captain. Terry will need to call upon all his experience to shut out Mitrovic who was named Sky Bet Championship Player of the month for March and April.

Mitrovic's arrival, on loan from Newcastle, has had a huge impact on Fulham this season, coinciding with their red-hot end-of-season form. The 23-year-old scored in 10 of Fulham's final 14 Championship games this season (12 goals) with the Whites winning eight and drawing two of those 10 games that he netted in. Nine of his 12 goals coming against top-half sides in the division.

Only Mohamed Salah has scored more English League goals than Mitrovic since his Fulham debut on February 3.

Mitrovic in fact had the best minutes-per-goal ratio of any Championship player to play at least 900 minutes this season.
Minutes per goal in Championship (played 900+ mins)

Player    Mins per goal    Total
Aleksandar Mitrovic    115mins    12
Lewis Grabban    126mins    20
Matej Vydra    129mins    21
Atdhe Nuhiu    132mins    11

His major strength has been his ability to continually find opportunities to shoot better than any other player in the division. He also finished the season with 68 shots, almost the same return as leading scorers Grabban (74) and Vydra (74) managed, despite Mitrovic playing half as much in the Championship.

Despite the Serb remaining unbeaten in five career appearances against Aston Villa, he has yet to score a goal against them. His first Fulham start came in the 2-0 home League win against Terry's Villa on February 17. His only other meeting against Terry came in Chelsea's 5-1 Premier League home win against Newcastle in February 2016, Terry was subbed off on 38 minutes with a hamstring injury sustained during an aerial tussle with Mitrovic.

Terry has an impressive record when he's faced Fulham, losing only two of his 25 games played against them. He has also scored four goals against the Cottagers, only scoring more goals against Arsenal in his career (five). He can boast three goals in his last five games v Fulham and his only Villa goal came in their 2-1 Championship win against Fulham at Villa Park last October.

Mitrovic is of course looking for back-to-back promotions into the Premier League after helping Newcastle win the Championship title last season. Whilst this will be Mitrovic's first taste of Wembley, it will be Terry's 31st senior appearance at the national stadium for club and country.

Terry has won 23 and lost only four of his 30 games at Wembley for Chelsea and England, scoring four times. His last major cup final appearance at Wembley was when he scored and was named man of the match in Chelsea's 2-0 League Cup final win against Tottenham in 2015. In fact, Terry boasts an enviable record at Wembley in major cup competitions - winning eight of his nine games played there with Chelsea, winning his last seven.

Aston Villa will be making their fifth Wembley appearance in eight years with their last visit ending in a 4-0 FA Cup final defeat against Arsenal in 2015. Whilst Fulham will be making only their second Wembley appearance in their 139-year history and their first visit for 43 years since their 1975 FA Cup final defeat against West Ham.

Terry will be looking to keep his near-perfect Wembley record intact against the red-hot striker on Saturday.

Don't miss the Sky Bet Championship play-off final between Fulham and Aston Villa on Saturday, live on Sky Sports Football and Main Event from 4pm

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/11382753/john-terry-v-aleksandar-mitrovic-the-key-battle-in-the-sky-bet-championship-play-off-final

WhiteJC

Play-Off Final In Focus

There is a lot of crucial information to be aware of heading into Saturday's Play-Off Final. Have a read of our preview to make sure you're fully prepared.

Possible opposition absentees

Ahmed Elmohamady - knee injury
Tickets
Fulham sold out our entire allocation five days prior to the match, meaning there will be more than 38,000 of you at Wembley on Saturday. Anyone who has not received their tickets by Friday must contact Ticketmaster on 0333 003 5935 to arrange duplicate tickets in advance of the game.
Weather

It will be a warm day in Wembley with temperatures around 23 degrees, and some cloud cover expected.
#FFCWhiteWall

The Club is encouraging fans to wear white on Saturday to create a White Wall for the boys to walk out to.
Getting there

The Stadium is within a short walking distance of three stations. Wembley Park tube is serviced by the Metropolitan and Jubilee tube lines and is a five minute walk to the ground, while Wembley Central is on the Bakerloo and Overground lines and is a 15 minute walk. Trains also run from Marylebone to Wembley Stadium station which is a stone's throw from the ground.
Pre-match

The Fulham Fan Zone will be located at Arena Square, next to the SSE Arena. For a list of pubs accommodating Whites fans, follow this link.
Opening times

The Stadium will open to fans at 3pm - it is recommended to get there an hour before kick-off. Bags of any size will be checked so please allow ample time if you have a bag, although we would advise against bringing one if possible.
Live stream

Because this fixture has been selected for live broadcast on Sky Sports, we are unable to stream it on fulhamfctv, but Gentleman Jim's live audio commentary will be available as usual.
He said

"Fulham have got good players. We understand that their game is built on possession. They try and wear you down by possession. Our game plan will be to not give them that possession. We must keep the ball ourselves, especially at Wembley on a hot day." - Steve Bruce, Aston Villa manager
Grosvenor Casinos match odds

Aston Villa: 9/4

Draw: 21/10

Fulham: 13/10

Grosvenor Casinos are offering new customers enhanced odds of 5/1 for Fulham to be promoted. Follow this link for full details.
Previous five results

Aston Villa 0-0 Middlesbrough (Championship Play-Off)

Middlesbrough 0-1 Aston Villa (Championship Play-Off)

Millwall 1-0 Aston Villa (Championship)

Aston Villa 1-1 Derby County (Championship)

Ipswich Town 0-4 Aston Villa (Championship)

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/may/24/play-off-final-in-focus

WhiteJC

The most Fulham things ever and more: Our random Aston Villa play-off final round up

Football editor Mat Kendrick tries - and most probably fails - to ease the anxiety ahead of Wembley

The Championship play-off final is almost upon us as Aston Villa and Fulham embark on football's equivalent of snakes and ladders.

It's tense, the stakes are high and the nerves are jangling to such an extent that we've just been told off by fans for mentioning the potential for a penalty shootout!

And breathe...

So in an attempt to ease the anxiety ahead of that winner-takes-promotion battle at Wembley on Saturday teatime we've tried to lighten the mood a little.

Football editor Mat Kendrick outline a collection of random things to take your mind off the play-off pressure.

The most Fulham things ever

A couple of screengrabs, said to be from Fulham fanpages, have been flagged up to us.

I sincerely hope they are true, because if so, they are the most Fulham things ever!

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't expect the Cottagers fans to rock up at Wembley wearing straw boaters and quaffing Pimms, but there is something quintessentially quaint about the Craven Cottage clientele.

We know all about the clappers given out to Fulham fans to boost the atmosphere at their home matches, but now there's more 'evidence' that the SW6 faithful are a unique breed.

Exhibit A: The song sheets
On one forum, this message appeared under the title 'Going to Wembley'.

"With a lot of people going who probably don't know the words to some of our songs I thought it might be an idea to publish a song sheet that people could print off ans take with them." How Fulham.

Exhibit B: The sensible advice
This appeared on another Fulham site, and far from mocking it, I think it's brilliant.

It could be hot on Saturday, so with the kind of fuss your mother makes ahead of a school trip, the Cottagers contingent are sharing some sensible advice. How Fulham.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/most-fulham-things-ever-more-14692508

WhiteJC

Bad news for Aleksandar Mitrovic as report reveals how his Fulham move could be about to collapse

Fulham will have to beat Aston Villa on Saturday and seal promotion to the Premier League if they are to sign Aleksandar Mitrovic this summer according to the London Evening Standard – who claim they'll be unable to afford a £15m deal if they fail to go up.

The report reveals what we expected in the main, stating Fulham are desperate to sign him and that we're willing to let him leave, however admit that any deal completely hinges on the Cottager's promotion to the Premier League this weekend.

Here's a snippet from the Evening Standard's latest piece on Mitrovic's future this afternoon:

"The 23-year-old Serbian will be allowed to leave Newcastle, but Fulham's hopes of signing him rest on whether they beat Aston Villa in Saturday's play-off final at Wembley."

Talk about news that will make Fulham fans that bit more nervous ahead of Saturday's showdown with Villa!

The game (and promotion to the top flight) is believed to be worth £170m to either side as it is, but for Fulham it will also define whether they'll be able to sign the striker who became a fan-favourite within weeks.

http://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2018/05/24/bad-news-for-aleksandar-mitrovic-as-report-reveals-how-his-fulham-move-could-be-about-to-collapse/

WhiteJC

Championship play-off final: Bookies tipping Aston Villa and Fulham for penalty drama

Bookmakers are tipping Aston Villa's huge clash with Fulham this weekend in the Championship play-off final to go all the way to penalties.

It might not help Villa fans' nerves, but the bookies have a penalty shoot-out to decide a winner as short as 9/2.

Fulham are the favourites to lift the play-off trophy at 4/6, with Villa at 11/10.

bet365's Steve Freeth explained why they're not ruling out a dreaded penalty shoot-out:

"Recent history tells us that the world's richest game is often a cagey affair and we just don't see this experienced Aston Villa side going toe-to-toe with Fulham early on."

"In fact, it wouldn't be a shock to see this huge game go the distance."

Last season, the Championship play-off final went all the way to penalties, with Huddersfield Town getting the better of Reading after a goalless 120 minutes at Wembley.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2018/05/24/championship-play-off-final-bookies-tipping-aston-villa-and-fulham-for-penalty-drama/

WhiteJC

2017/18 Season Review - Matt Targett

Not a prolific season for Matt Targett at least not at St Mary's but you had the feeling that he was being groomed for the future, but is that with Southampton Football Club or elsewhere.

Matt Targett played only twice for Saints this season, although in fairness he spent the first part of it recovering from injury, his first appearance was against Huddersfield at St mary's in a 1-1 draw and then he played in the debacle at Spurs on Boxing Day.

But he did not disgrace himself in either game and it was a surprise that he was let go on loan to Fulham in January and he is still there as we speak about to play in the play off final at Wembley against Aston Villa.

He seems to have thrived at Craven Cottage so the big question is whether his future lies there or St Mary's ? Fulham's result at Wembley may help determine that.

Certainly he is Premier League class, however in the way that Saints have played in the past few seasons the other big question is whether he suits the style of play, Targett is similar to Luke Shaw he is more a traditional style left back than an overlapping wing back type of player.

Targett uses the ball well rather than take on defenders and put in crosses, I questioned whether Luke Shaw had the engine to play in United's style of play four years ago and that is the same question for Targett.

So it seemed strange that he went to Fulham when we were in a relegation battle and could have used him, but we seemed to balance up how many times he would actually play against getting him experience ready for next season, the few games that Sam McQueen was called upon during the second half of the season suggests we made the right call, now he will return to St Mary's with games under his belt, but if Bertrand does go do Saints think he is now ready to step into the gap, that is what we will soon find out.

If Bertrand departs and we make a signing to replace him then I do not think that Targett will want to hang around, he is ready for first team football now, he needs it, this is a big summer for him.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/48123/

WhiteJC

How Fulham will have to stop the 'Aston Villa Engine' to progress to the Premier League

We spoke to Birmingham Live's Mat Kendrick about the style vs substance debate ahead of the play-off final at Wembley

The style vs substance debate has been one raging all season long in the Championship, with Wolves waltzing to the title while Cardiff City battled their way to second place.

Fulham gained plaudits over the past two seasons for the way they play football - their expansive, passing style has seen them batter some teams and has now guided them to 90 minutes from the Premier League.

Aston Villa stand in their way though, and Steve Bruce has assembled a style built on experience and a defensive sturdiness that opposing teams have struggled to break down.

Saturday's play-off final at Wembley is the meeting of two very different styles of football, but only one can get to the Premier League - Fulham and their easy-on-the-eye style or Villa, and their effective style.

We spoke to Birmingham Live's football editor Mat Kendrick ahead of the final to get his view on what Villa fans think about the style vs substance debate ahead of Wembley.

"We want to play The *insert club name here* Way.

"A trend seems to have developed lately for football fans desperate to see their team strut through games in with certain style that has apparently been ingrained in their DNA for generations.

"I'm not convinced this 'way' exists for many teams to be honest, and I'm pretty sure that all Aston Villa fans want to see is winning football.

"There have been some gripes over Steve Bruce's style during his season and two-thirds at Villa, but that argument only tends to rear its head on occasions when three points are not forthcoming.

"Bruce's Villa do not play the same expansive football that has earned Fulham plaudits beyond Craven Cottage this season, but for the most part they have played effective football.

"They're solid, which is what you would expect with an old-school centre half in charge and a man cut from a similar mould as his assistant, Colin Calderwood.

"A backline marshalled by John Terry and James Chester was the Championship's third meanest defence after the promoted pair, while a holding midfielder, usually in the form of Glenn Whelan or Mile Jedinak, provides that extra protection.

"But Villa have flair, they have creativity, they have goals.

"There's a threat on each flank, with the inverted wingers of Robert Snodgrass and Albert Adomah, a scoring machine up front in Lewis Grabban and a goal-getting midfielder in Conor Hourihane.

"That's not to mention Jack Grealish, a talented talisman, who is buzzing at the prospect of trying to find and exploit the open spaces of Wembley.

"Villa can be direct, but they can also be fluid.

"There's been talk at boardroom level about 'The Villa Engine', an ethos, a philosophy, a way of playing and, having seen the way Wolves, Fulham et al have gone about Championship football this term it would be great if over time Villa could be the Barcelona of Birmingham or the Manchester City of the Midlands.

"Right now though the claret and blue faithful couldn't care less whether that Villa Engine is located under the bonnet of a slick Aston Martin or a battered Austin Maestro as long as it gets them to their required destination - the Premier League."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/how-fulham-stop-aston-villa-14700360

WhiteJC

Fulham want to sign Newcastle United striker on permanent deal

Fulham want to sign Newcastle United's Aleksandar Mitrovic on a permanent deal according to a report from the London Evening Standard.

The 23-year-old striker signed for the Magpies back in 2015 and he has had a mixed time at St James Park. While he has shown obvious talent during this time there, it has often been blighted by discipline problems which has seen him getting sent off in key games. That's why he struggled for first team football this season and eventually ended up on loan at Fulham.

This ended up being a fantastic move as Mitrovic quickly proved himself to be a star player for the Cottagers. He scored 12 goals in 17 appearances, an impressive tally which made him a feared striker in the Sky Bet Championship and a big reason why Fulham are set to contest the play-off final on Saturday. He was voted as the 13th Best Player in the EFL in our annual Top 50 Players of the EFL countdown.

So it should come as no surprise that Fulham want to make that loan deal a permanent one this summer. It is a move that could easily happen as well with Newcastle being willing to sell a striker that no longer fits in their plans. But the deal all resides on what happens this Saturday. Fulham will not be able to sign Mitrovic if they don't get promoted to the Premier League and that all depends on if they can beat Aston Villa on Saturday. Mitrovic will most likely be playing in that game so he can secure his new home with a great match-winning performance.

http://the72.co.uk/103360/fulham-want-sign-newcastle-united-striker-permanent-deal/

WhiteJC

Fulham's Tim Ream predicts 'cagey' playoff final with Aston Villa

Fulham's United States international defender Tim Ream expects a tight game against Aston Villa in Saturday's Championship promotion playoff final (Noon ET, ESPN+).

Ream, 30, has been with the Cottagers since 2015, spanning a stretch that has seen them go from relegation contenders to missing out on promotion last season when they were beaten 2-1 on aggregate by Reading in the playoff semifinals.

Now, thanks to a 2-1 aggregate win against Derby in this year's semis, Fulham are one win away from a first return to the Premier League since the 2013-14 campaign.

Ream told ESPN FC in an exclusive interview: "I think it'll be cagey, in the beginning, I think both teams are going to feel each other out. When we played them earlier in the season [and lost], we weren't at full strength, and when we played them towards the back end of the season [and won], they weren't at full strength.

"So it's going to be interesting to see who blinks first, we have a style that we don't change, they have a style that they've been pretty consistent with all year, so I think it's going to be tight for the first 20-30 minutes, then I think things will open up a bit.

"I think it's going to be a fantastic day, it'll be a great final and it's two of the best teams in the Championship going at it for a place in the Premier League."

It's been a stellar year for Fulham, who had a chance to overtake Cardiff for automatic promotion in the final games of the season. And Ream has seen his fair share of plaudits for the success Slavisa Jokanovic's team have enjoyed.

"I've been the same player," Ream said. "I've not changed anything, I've been the same player. It's a system that suits my style and my strengths. I obviously have to put that down to the manager. When I first came in we tried to play it this way but for whatever reason the cohesion and the players weren't there.

"Over the course of two years now, the confidence that the manager has not only given myself but the entire team and the ability and the freedom to go and play no matter the situation has just brought the best out of us and I am no different."

Ream, who played for the New York Red Bulls and Bolton Wanderers before joining Fulham, sang the praises of teammate Ryan Sessegnon, the 18-year-old who might rival the American for player of the season at Craven Cottage.

"Obviously I don't train against all the other [players] every day of the week, but just his attitude, his work rate, everything he puts into training, on the pitch and in the gym is just incredible," Ream said.

"He's the most humble kid I've ever met. And I think that's what's going to take him very far. You know he doesn't get too up, doesn't get too down, if he struggles in a game he puts it behind him, and he just goes about his business."

Missing out on automatic promotion this year was a "difficult pill to swallow," according to Ream, but he says it won't be something the group is focused on ahead of Saturday's final.

"It was there for us at the end of the year and we didn't perform against Birmingham and ultimately that cost us," Ream said. "But at the same time I think that most of us feel that had we won then Cardiff would have probably have won as well.

"You can't dwell on it and in this division, games come so fast and we knew that had we not done it then we would have another chance and here we are. We obviously played very well against Derby in the first leg and we went 1-0 down and lost the game.

"But we thought we were the better team in that first leg and we were very confident going into the second one. Thankfully, I say thankfully, but we knew everyone was going to show up on the night and perform and we did."

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/fulham/story/3508490/fulhams-tim-ream-predicts-cagey-playoff-final-with-aston-villa

WhiteJC

David Prutton's Sky Bet EFL play-off final predictions

David Prutton returns with his final predictions of the season ahead of the Sky Bet EFL play-off finals.

But who is he tipping for Wembley glory? Read on to find out...

This should be a fascinating encounter at Wembley. Fulham play the better football but they are coming against a side in Aston Villa who will be set up well to contain them.

here are certainly similarities between this Villa and the Hull side that Steve Bruce got promoted two years ago, and you would fancy him to have the nous to claim a record fifth promotion to the top flight.

It will all come down to who can manage the emotion of the day, get their noses in front and then see it out. Both sides will look to exploit each other's weaknesses and Villa will place huge emphasis on getting balls into the box and set-pieces.

These games are so often separated by the odd goal. You would not back against John Terry, with all his Wembley experience, to pop up with a header from a corner or a free-kick to win it.

Prutton predicts: Aston Villa to win 1-0 and John Terry to score (195/1 with Sky Bet)

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/34681/11382996/david-pruttons-sky-bet-efl-play-off-final-predictions

WhiteJC

Marcus Bettinelli: Younger squad could give Fulham upper hand against Aston Villa

Marcus Bettinelli has started every league match for Fulham since 9 December

Championship play-off final: Aston Villa v Fulham
Venue: Wembley Date: Saturday, 26 May Kick-off: 17:00 BST Coverage: Commentary on BBC WM and BBC Radio London, live text coverage on the BBC Sport website

Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli believes their youth could benefit them in the Championship play-off final.

The Whites face a more experienced Aston Villa side at Wembley on Saturday for a place in the Premier League.

"I don't think many of the lads have been to Wembley before," the 26-year-old told BBC Radio London.

"But I think the reason we play so well and score so many goals is because we have lots of energy and can keep going right until the end."

The average age of Fulham's starting XI for the second leg of their play-off semi-final against Derby County was 25 years and 292 days, while Villa's was 29 years and 69 days for their tie at home to Middlesbrough.

Villa's squad is full of Wembley 'veterans', with former Chelsea and England captain John Terry having made regular appearances at the national stadium, and keeper Sam Johnstone and midfielders Conor Hourihane and Robert Snodgrass among several others who have won play-off finals.

Boss Steve Bruce has won four promotions from the second tier - two of which were through the play-offs - to Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic's one, which came with Watford in 2014-15.

Fulham aiming to manage nerves
Fulham spent 13 years in the Premier League before being relegated in 2014.

The west London club were beaten in the play-off semi-finals last season but, after missing out on automatic promotion by two points on the final day of this campaign, booked their place at Wembley by beating Derby 2-1 on aggregate.

Figures from Deloitte suggest promotion would be worth about £170m for Fulham, with that figure rising to £280m if the Cottagers were to survive a season in the Premier League.

Fulham supporters staged a pitch invasion following their play-off semi-final win over Derby County, with Bettinelli describing the event a "special night"

Bettinelli says the players are fully aware of the "massive importance" of the encounter with Villa, but hopes they are able to play their normal passing game.

"We have been at our best this season when we have focused on how we play and going forward and attacking," he said. "That is how we have won most of our games this season.

"When we get there on the day and you are in the stadium the boys are going to be nervous. But Villa are going to be nervous - it is just the nature of the game.

"After the first 10 or 15 minutes the game will settle down, we will play our football and hopefully we can come out on top."

Accepting the Wembley limelight
Bettinelli established himself as Fulham's number one in December, taking over from David Button, and kept 11 clean sheets in the 23-match unbeaten run which lifted Fulham from 12th to third in the table.

He is comfortable with the pressure he may encounter on what will be Fulham's first Wembley appearances since losing the 1975 FA Cup final to West Ham.

"Of course goalkeepers play a vital role in finals and could be the difference of whether you win or lose," he said.

"You can make a mistake and cost your team but you can save a penalty in the last minute and win the game for your team.

"I am not putting too much pressure on myself as I'm proud of what I've done this season.

"You don't get many second chances in football so we are all well aware of what the game means to the club and the fans. It will be tough and tight but everyone is confident we can do it based on our ability."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44238575

WhiteJC

Man Utd & Spurs target Sessegnon tipped for top four move

The highly-rated Fulham winger will soon be gracing a team towards the very top of the Premier League table, says current team-mate Ryan Fredericks

Ryan Sessegnon has already been linked with Manchester United and Tottenham and is destined to be "playing for a top four club in the next few years", says Fulham team-mate Ryan Fredericks.

The 18-year-old has seriously enhanced his profile during a Premier League promotion push this season, with his efforts having helped his current club to reach the Championship play-off final.

It remains to be seen whether the Cottagers will be back in the big time for 2018-19, but Sessegnon is expected to make that step up in the near future regardless of what happens in west London.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/man-utd-spurs-target-sessegnon-tipped-for-top-four-move/1e7fb3rvaflpm158ig39yh08tw