more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (26/05/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 25, 2018, 04:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Rodák: On To Wembley

Marek Rodák is set to play for Rotherham United at Wembley Stadium on Sunday in the League One Play-Off Final, with Shrewsbury Town providing the opposition.

The Millers made it to the national stadium by beating Scunthorpe United 4-2 over the two legs.

"I'm very excited," Rodák told fulhamfc.com. "I'm looking forward to the Final. It's going to be my first time at Wembley. Well, I've watched football games there but it will be my first time on the pitch."

The first leg was away from home and finished 2-2 at Glanford Park. "In the first leg we went ahead twice, and then we conceded two own goals, so that wasn't great.

"However, at the New York Stadium in the second leg we were in control. I made a couple of good saves, I think I did well.

"To be fair, for the first 20 minutes we didn't play well at all, we were quite nervy and they were playing better than us. We just stuck to our game and managed to score two and win it."

Rodák made six saves in the second leg and was singled out for praise by Rotherham manager Paul Warne.

The Millers have faced Shrewsbury twice this season, with both teams winning one apiece.

"I played them away," Rodák stated. "When we played at home I was just coming back from international duty so I was left out.

"We won 1-0, I had a good game that day, hopefully I also have one on Sunday and we do it.

The fans for the second leg, I had never seen them like that in the league.

"There were so many people and it was so much louder than usual. Even after the game, everyone ran on the pitch to celebrate, it was a great day all round. 

"It was one of my best days in football, but hopefully we have an even better one come the weekend."

To reach the Play-Offs, Rotherham went on a long unbeaten run, falling just short of the automatic spots.

"We went something like 17 matches unbeaten at one point of the season, and then we lost 1-0 to Rochdale. Stephen Humphrys scored against me, and to be fair it was a good goal.

"At that time, we won nine in a row, we were looking to try and get second place. After that we lost and drew, and other teams capitalised."

Asked whether he will be watching Fulham's own Play-Off Final, he said: "We train in the morning and then travel down, so 100 per cent I will be watching Fulham. If we're not at the hotel by then I will definitely be watching it on the coach."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/may/25/rodak-on-to-wembley

WhiteJC

Fulham FC news: Predicted line-up for Championship play-off final against Aston Villa

Fulham have the chance to win promotion via the play-offs for the first time ever against Aston Villa on Saturday.

The Whites' semi-final victory over Derby was their first in play-off history and they have not been to Wembley since 1975.

History is not on their side, but they are the form team. Their 23-match unbeaten run only recently came to an end as they finished third in the league, playing with the swagger of a team who belong in the top flight.

talkSPORT bring you live commentary of the Championship play-off final on Saturday at 5pm.

In the most recent clash between the two sides, Fulham eased to a comfortable 2-0 win at Craven Cottage, although they were beaten at Villa Park back in October.

Victory in football's most lucrative game would potentially earn as much as £280million for the club.

So, who will Slavisa Jokanovic pick to end a four-year stay in the second tier? talkSPORT's predicted line-up is below.

(4-3-3)

Goalkeeper: Bettinelli

Defence: Fredericks, Odoi, Ream, Targett

Midfield: Cairney, McDonald, Johansen

Forwards: Kamara, Mitrovic, Sessegnon

https://talksport.com/football/fulham-fc-news-predicted-line-championship-play-final-against-aston-villa-180525284047

WhiteJC

'We deserve to win' Fulham owner's thoughts on play-off final with Aston Villa

Shahid Khan has big plans for his Fulham side

Fulham owner Shahid Khan believes his Fulham side will reap the rewards for their approach to this season with victory over Aston Villa.

The 67-year-old American is confident that his Fulham side are ready for a Premier League return and has big plans for the team if they succeed at Wembley.

Speaking to the London Evening Standard , he discussed the huge game at the weekend and what he expects and hopes for.

He stated: "This has been a hard journey over the last four years but regrettably necessary to rebuild the team the right way.

Fulham owner Shahid Khan believes his Fulham side will reap the rewards for their approach to this season with victory over Aston Villa.

The 67-year-old American is confident that his Fulham side are ready for a Premier League return and has big plans for the team if they succeed at Wembley.

Speaking to the London Evening Standard , he discussed the huge game at the weekend and what he expects and hopes for.

He stated: "This has been a hard journey over the last four years but regrettably necessary to rebuild the team the right way.

White wall

Fulham Football Club have started a campaign urging fans to turn the east side of Wembley into a 'wall of white' for the game against Aston Villa.

Using the hashtag #FFCWhiteWall, the club are telling their 38,000 fans to make sure they are wearing white.

Posting on their website, they explain the campaign.

They state: "The support demonstrated by the Fulham Faithful this season has been nothing short of magnificent.

"Many of the players commented on how incredible the atmosphere was at Craven Cottage in our Play-Off Semi-Final triumph, and there's no doubt it will be even better when 38,000 of you make your way to Wembley this weekend.

"With Fulham taking over the East End of the stadium, we're encouraging you to wear your home colours on Saturday, to create a White Wall. For the players to walk out and see the better part of 40,000 of their fans all wearing white will certainly be a sight to behold.

"Back the boys – wear white!"

It shouldn't be difficult for Fulham to achieve their aim, the club colours are white after all.

Aston Villa fans are also expected to wear their colours.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-v-fulham-wembley-14694925

WhiteJC

Former Aston Villa man reveals exactly why he thinks they will overcome Fulham tomorrow

Former Aston Villa favourite Dion Dublin believes that Steve Bruce will be the difference tomorrow as Villa look to overcome Fulham to secure a place in the Premier League.

The West Midlands side finished one place behind the Cottagers in the regular season but Dublin reckons Bruce can set Villa up to get the victory at Wembley.

"If he [Steve Bruce] sets them up right, you know you set traps and it could work if they all do it together. I just think Bruce will get it right," the Express & Star reveal he told TalkSPORT.

Dublin, who played over 150 games for Villa, praised the balance that Bruce has in his squad.

"I think he's got a few captains on the pitch, he's got a great balance of seniors and kids and legs and goals."

Should they defeat Fulham tomorrow and return to the top-flight, the former Manchester United man added that it would mean Villa are back to where he feels they belong.

"This is Aston Villa. They're a big club, [and have a] massive following. Should I say the stature of the club deserves to be in the Premier League."

The Verdict

The league table doesn't lie and over the course of a season Fulham were better than Villa, however it will count for nothing tomorrow.

As Dublin says, it's a one-off and it's all about who performs better on the day and Bruce is sure to have a plan to stifle the Cottagers, just as he did with Adama Traore and Middlesbrough.

Then, it's down to the players to execute that and ultimately get the win which is what it's all about.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/former-aston-villa-man-reveals-exactly-why-he-thinks-they-will-overcome-fulham-tomorrow/

WhiteJC

Fulham striker reveals his footballing heroes

The most expensive game in football takes place tomorrow, as Aston Villa meet Fulham at Wembley in the Sky Bet Championship Play-Off Final.

The game is worth at least £160 million to the winners, with that figure potentially rising to £280 million if they manage to survive their first season back in the Premier League.

Both sides know what is at stake, and will have been preparing all week as they prepare to compete for a spot in the Premier League following their victories in the Semi-Finals.

Aston Villa beat Middlesbrough 1-0 over two legs, with Mile Jedinak scoring the only goal of the tie in the first leg at the Riverside.

Fulham were beaten 1-0 by Derby County at Pride Park in the first leg, but an impressive performance in the return fixture saw them win 2-0, and go through 2-1 on aggregate.

Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic failed to score in the Semi-Finals, but he has played a huge role in Fulham's successes this season since he joined the club on loan from Premier League side Newcastle United.

And the Serbian striker is enjoying his time at the Cottagers, and wants to take them back to the top flight.

Speaking to Sky Sports, he said: The way I play here is the way I want to play. I always looked at how Alan Shearer and Didier Drogba played, it was almost magic the way they used their body to score goals. Even now I watch some of their goals on YouTube to try and learn from them."

http://the72.co.uk/103426/fulham-striker-reveals-footballing-heroes/

WhiteJC

Aston Villa v Fulham
SAT 26 May 2018   Championship - Play-off Final
Venue: Wembley Stadium

John Terry joined Aston Villa last summer after spending 22 years at Chelsea, while 18-year-old Ryan Sessegnon is Fulham's top scorer this season with 16 goals

Aston Villa and Fulham bid to return to the Premier League in a play-off final worth an estimated £280m if the winners survive one season in the top flight.

Villa manager Steve Bruce is aiming to secure a record fifth promotion from the Championship, following previous successes with Birmingham and Hull.

His experienced side ended the regular campaign in fourth as they look to bounce back from relegation in 2016.

Fulham finished third, missing out on automatic promotion by two points.

The Whites, who were beaten play-off semi-finalists last season, have spent four seasons in the Championship since their 13-year stay in the Premier League ended in 2014.

Aston Villa defender Ahmed Elmohamady is recovering from a hamstring injury and could replace James Bree at right-back if the Egyptian is fully fit.

Fulham have no injury worries, but boss Slavisa Jokanovic must decide which of his six loanees to omit from the matchday squad.

Lucas Piazon or fellow forward Sheyi Ojo are the most likely to miss out, with the latter sidelined recently through injury.

Villa back from the doldrums
Bruce was appointed Villa boss in October 2016, taking over after Roberto di Matteo had overseen a difficult start to life in the Championship.

Villa, relegated after 28 years in the top flight, were 19th when the former Manchester United defender was appointed and they went on to finish last season 13th.

Their side is full of experience, epitomised by the signing of 37-year-old former Chelsea and England skipper John Terry last summer.

"Expectation is huge here but that's why I went for experience," Bruce told BBC WM.

"I've thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of my 19 months here. Can we now top it off by getting where we want to be?"

Villa's last Wembley appearance was 2015, when they lost 4-0 to Arsenal in the FA Cup final, but several players - among them keeper Sam Johnstone, Elmohamady and midfielder Robert Snodgrass - have previously tasted success in play-off finals.

"We have to have a healthy respect for Fulham but not be fearful of them," Bruce, 57, added.

"We have an attacking threat that can cause any team problems.

"We've beaten everybody this season but it's a case of when that big chance comes, can you take it?"

Villa fans looking for omens will also note that Saturday is 36 years to the day that Villa won the European Cup, beating Bayern Munich 1-0 in Rotterdam thanks to Peter Withe's second-half goal.

Resurgent Fulham target final flourish
Jokanovic, who led Watford to second place in the Championship in 2014-15, has guided Fulham to successive top-six finishes in his two full seasons in charge.

The Whites narrowly missed out on automatic promotion, having risen from 12th to third in the table courtesy of a 23-match unbeaten run which ended with defeat on the final day at Birmingham.

Jokanovic, who took charge at Craven Cottage in December 2015, is not worried about his team's relative inexperience as the west London club prepare for their first trip to Wembley since 1975, when they lost the FA Cup final 2-0 to West Ham.

"We're the youngest team," the 49-year-old Serb told BBC Radio London. "We must try to dominate the situation and put them under stress.

"We're probably the team with more energy. Experience in life is important but it's not everything - all of us can make mistakes."

Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored 12 goals since joining Fulham on loan from Newcastle in January

Fulham's passing game and style of play has won plaudits, with teenager Ryan Sessegnon picking up several awards after scoring 16 goals this season from the left wing.

But the arrivals of loanees Matt Targett and Aleksandar Mitrovic in January have bolstered the starting XI, with left-back Targett offering balance to the side and Mitrovic providing a physical presence and goal threat which had previously been lacking up front.

"It's a massive challenge ahead of us and we believe in our style," Jokanovic added.

"At the end of two and a half years we have an important chance in front of us, and we will find our best performance."

Match facts
    Fulham are featuring in their first ever play-off final, having previously lost in the semi-finals in 1988-89 (third-tier), 1997-98 (third-tier) and 2016-17 (second-tier), while Aston Villa have reached the final in their first ever play-off campaign.
    Steve Bruce is set to manage in his third play-off final - he has been promoted in both of his previous two, progressing on penalties in 2001-02 as Birmingham manager against Norwich and beating Sheffield Wednesday with Hull in 2015-16.
    Indeed, he's the third manager to manage in three play-off finals in the second tier, after Brian Little (three finals between 1991-92 and 1993-94) and Ian Holloway (2009-10, 2011-12 and 2012-13).
    Bruce has won four promotions to the top flight (2001-02, 2006-07, 2012-13 and 2015-16), a joint-record with Neil Warnock, who achieved his fourth this season with Cardiff.
    These sides both claimed a win apiece in their Championship meetings this season, with Villa winning 2-1 at Villa Park in October and Fulham winning 2-0 at Craven Cottage in February.
    The Cottagers are playing just their second match at Wembley - they lost their previous visit in the 1975 FA Cup final against West Ham.
    Fulham's gap of 15,279 days between playing their first and second matches at Wembley is the third longest in history, after Brentford (19,915 - November 1930 to June 1985) and Southend United (30,073 - December 1930 to April 2013).
    In Fulham's semi-final second leg against Derby, Ryan Sessegnon became the youngest scorer in the history of the second-tier play-offs (17y 360d). The youngest player to score in a second-tier play-off final is Julian Joachim (18y 253d), who scored for Leicester City against Swindon Town in May 1993.
    Only Matej Vydra (21) has scored more Championship goals than Lewis Grabban (20) this season - however, Grabban has played six Championship play-off games previously and failed to score in any, featuring in the 2015 final for Norwich and last season's final for Reading.
    Robert Snodgrass and Ahmed Elmohamady featured in the 2016 Championship play-off final for Steve Bruce's victorious Hull side - Snodgrass assisted Mohamed Diame's winning goal.
    The team scoring first in the Championship play-off final has gone on to win promotion on each of the past six occasions in which the final has not been goalless - the last time a team failed to win having scored first was Cardiff City in 2010 against Blackpool.
    Aston Villa have not faced a shot on target in any of their past three halves of football, since a 40th-minute Daniel Ayala header in the first leg of their play-off semi-final (140 minutes in total).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44178427

WhiteJC

Fulham triumph would keep squad together – Odoi

Fulham must win promotion to the Premier League to have the best chance of keeping their squad together, according to Denis Odoi.

The centre-back says he is not surprised bigger clubs have been linked with players such as Ryan Sessegnon and Tom Cairney, as well as boss Slavisa Jovanovic.

Ahead of the play-off final against Aston Villa at Wembley, Odoi insisted: "With great results and achievements with a club like Fulham, you need to accept there are some even bigger teams interested in our players.

"Like Ryan Sessegnon – you can't expect him to be here for another 10 years. It's something you have to accept and you hope to keep those players for as long as possible, but that's just the way it goes.

"We have had good results and everybody says we play good football. Obviously Slavisa is also getting credit for that.

"If we were bad then maybe he would get fired. If it goes well then it's no surprise other teams would be interested in his job.

"So that's what I've been saying – maybe in terms of players other clubs are interested in, the best option for everybody is to go up with Fulham.

"You wont have to change club, everybody knows you here, your playing style. If you go to a new team, they don't care about who you are.

"I'm pretty sure a lot of Premier league players don't watch the Championship, so you're going to have to start from the bottom again and prove yourself. Whereas if you stay here you will still have to prove yourself on a Premier League level but everybody knows what you can do.

"So for everybody I think it would be the best option to go up together at Fulham."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-triumph-would-keep-squad-together-odoi

WhiteJC

Southampton: On-loan Targett set for Wembley play-off final

Southampton Left-Back Matt Targett is set for a play-off showdown as his current loan side Fulham face Aston Villa on Saturday evening.

The match at Wembley sees the two sides battle for promotion to the Premier League and winning is reportedly worth around £160m in additional revenue to the victors.

Whichever team comes out on top will join already promoted Wolves and Cardiff City as opponents for Southampton in the top-flight next season.

Targett has made 20 appearances for Fulham since joining from the Saints in January and undoubtedly gained some valuable experience whilst at Craven Cottage.

He has built a good relationship on the left-flank with teenage prodigy Ryan Sessegnon and given the 18-year-old freedom to influence attacks more. Targett has made a good impression in London and produced some strong performances to contribute to the team's excellent campaign.

It will certainly be an interesting dilemma for the 22-year-old if Fulham are to be promoted. He will have a decision to make as to whether he wants to stay with Saints and fight for his place or move on for regular game-time.

Competition at Left-Back at St Mary's and injuries have limited the amount of matches that Targett has played on the South-Coast.

20 appearances in the 2015/16 season were followed by just eight a year later as a Hamstring injury wrote off seven months of his campaign. Ryan Bertrand has always been first pick at full-back too, with Sam McQueen also featuring at times.

Targett has represented England Under-21s 13 times and is highly thought of as a product of the famed Saints youth academy.

He has risen up through the ranks at St Mary's after joining the club at the age of seven and become one of a high percentage of graduates to break into the first-team.

Fulham play an attractive brand of football under manager Slavisa Jokanovic, and this seems to benefit all of their players including Targett. He has good quality when in possession and often produces some pinpoint early crosses for Cottagers frontman Alexsandar Mitrovic.

The clash at Wembley sees the fourth and third placed teams face off, and the result could ultimately determine whether Targett will be an opponent or squad member for Saints in 2018/19.

https://saintsmarching.com/2018/05/25/southampton-loan-targett-set-wembley-play-off-final/

WhiteJC

Kamara an 'important weapon' for Fulham

Slavisa Jokanovic says he is ready to use Aboubakar Kamara as an "important weapon" in the play-off final against Aston Villa.

Kamara was influential on the right wing in the semi-final second-leg win over Derby and Jokanovic wants to use him to similar effect at Wembley.

Jokanovic, who wants his side to pressure and tire Villa centre-backs John Terry and James Chester, said: "We signed Kamara like a striker, who can play up against the centre-backs.

"I tried to adapt us to use him the best way, but two months ago I explained to him that now this position is covered and we are going to start with Aleksandar Mitrovic, and he needed to open his mind and think about different positions.

"He is a really strong and fast player and we started working with him in different positions, and step-by-step he started to improve himself.

"He played very well against Derby and he is ready for the game and can be an important weapon for our side.

"I cant say who we are going to start with. It"s going to be a long game and we are going to see.

"It's important for us to force them. If we don't make them tired it's going to be easy, especially for their two centre-backs.

"So I am going to try to use my best weapons, and the game can be long so we are going to use the bench too to try and force the situation."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-boss-ready-to-use-important-weapon-against-aston-villa

WhiteJC

We don't need to be taking Wembley selfies or photos, it's just another game! Oliver Norwood leads Fulham battle cry ahead of play-off final

Fulham face Aston Villa on Saturday in the Championship play-off final
    Cottagers just missed out on automatic promotion back to the Premier League
    But Slavisa Jokanovic's side now handed second chance in Wembley showdown
    Clash will be the first time Fulham have played at national stadium in 43 years
    However, midfielder Oliver Norwood looking to treat match as a 'normal game'

Fulham owner Shahid Khan may be in talks to buy Wembley - but his players have not been afforded a sneak peak around the national stadium ahead of Saturday's Championship play-off final with Aston Villa.

For many of Slavisa Jokanovic's squad, the chance to soak up the 90,000-seater ground will come only when they arrive a couple of hours before kick-off in the richest game in club football.

Oliver Norwood is one of the lucky ones. The Northern Ireland international has already been to Wembley twice. In 2007 he played for England Under 16s against Spain and eight years later he was a substitute as Reading suffered FA Cup semi-final heartbreak at the hands of Arsenal.

Oliver Norwood (left) celebrates Fulham's play-off semi final win over Derby with team-mates

Fulham went on a 23-match unbeaten run to only just miss out on automatic promotion

'As a squad it'll be the first time we've been there on Saturday. The gaffer just wants it to be normal - we turn up at the stadium on the day of the game and play,' he tells Sportsmail.

'We haven't been down there but I think a few of the lads have been involved in games there in the past. I've been lucky to be involved in two games there... (but) we just have to turn up, we know what we have to do.' When they are finally given the chance to sample the national stadium, the instructions from Jokanovic will be clear, if well-worn.

'It's just (about) doing what we normally do, what we always do. Don't change anything, don't be having selfies or taking photos of the stadium, just treat it as another normal game.

'You're bound to get nervous, excited and go through the whole range of emotions because there is nothing like it in world football. The Championship play-off final is a massive, massive occasion.

'We know that but it's about staying level-headed and keeping calm and producing the goods on Saturday.' He added: '(The manager's) message has been quite clear that it's just another game.

It's literally just a different pitch with a bigger stadium around it.' That mantra has been carried on to the training pitch this week, where Fulham have taken no special measures to prepare for the huge Wembley playing surface.

They trained as normal before meeting up at the team hotel on Friday. For most of Jokanovic's squad, this will be their time to focus their mind on the task ahead. For Norwood, however, it represents a welcome opportunity to catch up some well-earned kip.

'I can't speak for the others but me personally, it is literally just another game of football - I've been at it since the age of six so a few years ago I may have got a bit nervous but I'm quite lucky to have had a baby boy who's now 15 months old so your perspective on life does change. You do start to realise that it's just another game and there are other things to worry about in the world than a game of football,' he says.

Ryan Sessegnon has been a star for Fulham this term as they target a Premier League return

'It's obviously a massive, massive occasion, don't get me wrong, but I'm looking forward to a good night's sleep in the hotel on Friday night with the baby at home!' Norwood had just turned 16 when he first sampled the Wembley atmosphere. Thanks to his dad's performances on the pitch, young Pierce won't have to wait so long.

'He will be going with my wife. It's (his first trip) so hopefully he'll be a good luck charm!' As Pierce takes his seat in the stands, Norwood Snr and his team-mates will be going through their final preparations in the Fulham dressing room.

A place in the top flight - where the London club feel they belong - will be at stake when they walk out on Saturday.

But as tensions rise in the final minutes before kick-off, Steve Bruce's side shouldn't expect to hear any shouting coming from down the corridor.

Manager Slavisa Jokanovic as helped transform the Cottagers fortunes since joining in 2015

'You genuinely wouldn't believe some of the music that gets played. You'd think it was all pumped up music getting us ready to go to battle but some of the music in the dressing room is the most chilled out music I've ever heard,' Norwood says.

'It's very relaxed, very calm, the manager doesn't say much. He does his work with us in the week and leaves us to prepare, get ready, get focused on the game.' He adds: 'We don't need ranting and raving before a game, if you can't get yourself up for the play-off final then there is something wrong.' Norwood may only be on loan at the London club from Brighton. But he is no mercenary - his affection for his adopted home is obvious.

'It's a wonderful group of people, the staff and players have a real bond and there's a real bond between the players and fans,' he says.

'They've waited 43 years for a trip to Wembley and hopefully we can provide them with a very happy day on Saturday. We know it's going to be very difficult, we're not expecting to just turn up and play nice football and walk away with the victory. We know we're going have to dig deep at times, Villa are going to put us under pressure, they're a good side with massively experienced players and whoever wins on Saturday will deserve it.'

Fulham will play at Wembley for the first time since Bobby Moore's side lost the '75 FA Cup final

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5772085/Oliver-Norwood-leads-Fulham-battle-cry-ahead-play-final-against-Aston-Villa.html#ixzz5GaDved47
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham CEO Alistair Mackintosh reveals how much Reading FC paid for Sone Aluko

READING FC record-signing Sone Aluko cost the club £7m, Fulham CEO Alistair Mackintosh revealed.

Aluko, who has been branded a flop by numerous supporters, joined Reading from then play-off rivals Fulham in 2017.

The 29-year-old's transfer fee was kept undisclosed at the time, but reports suggested it was around the £7.5m mark.

Former Royals boss Jaap Stam insisted the fee was far lower and said Aluko would prove to be a massive benefit to his squad.

In fact, he told Reading FC: "In Sone, we welcome a quality player into our squad. With his pace and ability on the ball, he can make life difficult for every opponent we face this season and he has experience of playing at the level we want to play at.

"He poses a threat going forward, he keeps the ball well, he can play as a striker or out on the wing and I am sure he will improve us as a squad. So I'm very happy that he has chosen to join us."

But former Hull City man Aluko failed to live up to expectations during a lacklustre season at Madejski Stadium.

His two stand-out moments came at opposite ends of the season, a scintillating performance against Derby County and a wondergoal against Queens Park Rangers in Paul Clement's first game in charge.

But the forward often found himself under scrutiny from Reading fans.

Now, as he prepares to watch his former side take on Aston Villa FC in the Championship play-off final at Wembley Stadium this weekend, Fulham CEO Mackintosh revealed why he sold Aluko to Royals.

He was quoted at Fulham Supporters' Trust AGM meeting last week as saying: "Reading's opening offer for Sone Aluko was £1m. (It) eventually rose to £7m. We didn't want to sell but that offer was too good to turn down."

Reading CEO Ron Gourlay recently admitted some of last season's new signings, which include Aluko, did not live up to the club's expectations.

He told the Reading Chronicle: "They (the new signings) were mixed.

"Not helped by some injuries, there is always a settling into the team and style of play.

"I said that we didn't reach the level of quality on performance across the season. It's not about one or two players, it's about a team.

"Against the competition, you have to be united and play as a team, you have to perform to the highest of your ability week in week out or you won't win football games.

"For a number of different reasons we didn't do that."

Aluko scored three goals in 40 appearances for Royals last season.

He is tied down at Madejski Stadium until 2021.

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/readingfc/16251327.READING_FC__Royals_forked_out_an_astonishing___7m_for_Sone_Aluko__Fulham_CEO_claims/

WhiteJC

Aston Villa vs Fulham: Key players in the Championship playoff final

RealSport examine the key players likely to determine who wins promotion to the Premier League.

(Photo credit: Rob)

The most expensive game in football: The Championship playoff final.

After beating Derby County in the semi-final, Fulham meet Aston Villa at Wembley on Saturday, looking fight their way back into the Premier League for the first time since 2014. The Villans beat Middlesbrough to reach Wembley, for their fifth Wembley appearance in the last eight years.

Both Fulham and Aston Villa have experience in their ranks, comprising the likes of Aleksandar Mitrovic, who helped Newcastle United to promotion last season, and John Terry, making his 31st senior appearance at the national stadium.

RealSport look at the key players likely to have a major impact on Saturday's result.

Aston Villa

1 John Terry

The 37-year-old is making his 31st senior appearance at Wembley on the weekend, having lost only four of his 30 previous games at the national stadium, winning eight of his nine games there with previous club Chelsea.

John Terry is a serial Wembley winner- such experience will prove integral to Villa's chances of winning football's most expensive game.

John Terry's 2017/18 season:
        31 appearances
        198 clearances
        82 aerial duels won
        18 successful tackles

The centre back has been a key cog in Steve Bruce's side, but his task this Saturday is to carefully manage the threat of Fulham striker Mitrovic.

2 Jack Grealish
    Forever on the cusp of taking the next step in his career, behavioural issues have held Jack Grealish back from truly fulfilling his potential.

However, the Englishman has earned praise for his performances in 2017/18, developing into a key part of Bruce's team, leading Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock to declare him the best player in the Championship.

Jack Grealish's 2017/18 season:
        25 appearances
        64 take-ons
        47 chances creates
        85% pass completion
        6 assists
        3 goals

Grealish was the Man of the Match in the first leg victory over Middlesbrough, assisting Mile Jedinak for the only goal of the semi-final and the Villans will expect a repeat performance.

Fulham

1 Aleksandar Mitrovic

Arriving in January on loan from Newcastle, Mitrovic was a major part of why Fulham reached the playoff final, scoring in 10 of their final 14 Championship games this season.

In that time he netted 12 goals, second only to Mo Salah in terms of English league goals scored since his February debut. However, he is yet to score against Villa despite going unbeaten in his five games against them.

Aleksandar Mitrovic's 2017/18 season:

15 appearances
    68 shots
    50% shooting accuracy
    12 goals

Mitrovic has a big task ahead of him when he lines up opposite Wembley veteran John Terry, a central defender experienced in handling physically imposing strikers.

2 Ryan Sessegnon
The left back-cum-left winger has captured the attention of the nation with his fantastic performances at Craven Cottage this season, resulting in links with a host of Premier League clubs.

The 18-year-old was the first-ever Championship player to earn a nomination for the PFA Player of the Year award, whilst he, too, was considered for a call-up to the England World Cup squad.

Ryan Sessegnon's 2017/18 season:

54 successful take-ons
    49 chances created
    16 goals
    7 assists

With Fulham 1-0 down to Derby after the first leg, Sessegnon inspired the comeback with a goal and an assist in the 2-0 second leg victory.

Despite his youth, Sessegnon is the Cottager's key man and any hope of winning promotion will depend on how he plays. By all accounts, he seems able to handle the pressure.

https://realsport101.com/news/sports/football/aston-villa-vs-fulham-key-players-championship-playoff-final/

WhiteJC

Aston Villa fans - look what Fulham have done to Wembley

AVFC and Fulham meet in the Championship play-off final on Saturday

Plenty of the Championship play-off final build-up has centred around the two fanbases.

Aston Villa's fans are convinced they'll win the battle in the stands – but Fulham have a secret weapon.

Yes, you guessed it – Fulham have placed a clapper on the seat of every chair in the east end of Wembley stadium.

Villa have been highly critical of their rivals' use of clappers.

The Second City derby at St Andrew's earlier this season will be remembered for Birmingham City fans pelting the Villa players with clappers they'd been provided with.

Fulham tend to use their clappers for the purpose they're designed for.

The general feeling among Fulham players is that the atmosphere at Craven Cottage has improved thanks to the atmosphere-enhancing clappers.

Villa, meanwhile, have always maintained they have no need for clappers.

Villa's marketing manager Adam Lowe said: "This season, the club has doubled down on its commitment to make the fans the heart of everything we do, and this effort has paid dividends.

"Throughout the year Villa Park has been in full voice, away support has been some of the best in the EFL and the results have shown on the pitch.

"We have never felt the need to artificially generate atmosphere with clappers and the like. We know that the Villa fans are more than capable of generating that noise.

"We just want to supplement that with exciting activations that improve fan experience and give a visual element to their support. The fans have responded incredibly well to everything we have done this year and helped carry the side to the biggest game of the season.

"We're fully planning on capitalising on that amazing support at Wembley."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-fans-look-what-14708108

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic comments on his Newcastle future ahead of Fulham's play-off final with Villa

Newcastle United are willing to sell Aleksandar Mitrovic permanently this summer - so they will be cheering Fulham on at Wembley

Aleksandar Mitrovic admits he does not know where his long-term future lies - but the Newcastle United striker is not ruling out a permanent move to Fulham.

The Cottagers take on Aston Villa at Wembley in the Championship play-off final on Saturday, when they will have a one-off opportunity to clinch a lucrative spot in the Premier League for next season.

If they do, then the Cottagers will likely use some of the £120million-plus windfall to try and sign Mitrovic permanently this summer.

Rafa Benitez is looking to offload Mitrovic and Newcastle are expected to demand between £15m-£20m for the forward's services.

Aleksandar Mitrovic (Image: Getty Images Europe)

Fulham would like to keep the Serbia international in west London regardless of whether they are promoted, but winning the play-off final will certainly increase their chances of acquiring the 23-year-old on a permanent basis.

Mitrovic, however, is likely to wait until after he represents Serbia at the World Cup this summer before deciding on where he believes his future lies.

"I've loved my time here and I don't know what's going to happen after. But why not stay? Maybe," Mitrovic told Sky Sports.

"I want to focus on the game on Saturday, then I have time to rest and focus on the World Cup.

"I needed the gametime so that's why I came here. I needed to be on the pitch, to score goals and to have the feeling that I have now.

"I needed to get confidence - especially because of the World Cup, but also because of myself.

"I feel good and honestly I have never been in better shape in the whole of my career."

Aleksandar Mitrovic celebrates at the end of the match between Fulham and Sunderland (Image: Getty Images Europe)

Mitrovic has scored 12 goals in just 16 starts for the west London club since moving to the capital on loan in January, which is why Fulham are so keen to sign him permanently.

But, given that the Cottagers are far from the only admirers of Mitrovic - Marseille, Bordeaux, Anderlecht, Brighton and Hove Albion, and Wolverhampton Wanderers have all scouted the forward at various points over the past 12 months - United hope to start a potential bidding war for the striker's signature.

Working closely with fellow Serbian Slavisa Jokanovic in west London has helped Mitrovic improve his all-round game, and he believes Fulham play to his strengths, too.

"I'm already now three years in England, I'm settled, I know what to expect. Every game here is a war," Mitrovic added.

"I had to make my body stronger, to get more physical and I think now I've learned how to use all of my strength in the right way.

"This style of football is perfect for all players that we have. The manager uses them in the best way."

Aleksandar Mitrovic celebrates scoring for Fulham (Image: PA)

In January, Mitrovic agreed to re-join former club Anderlecht on loan - only for the move to fall through with just hours of the mid-season window remaining.

Luckily Fulham had an interest in taking the forward on loan, so Mitrovic sent Jokanovic a WhatsApp message before rushing through the paper work to seal a transfer to Craven Cottage.

"I texted him [Jokanovic] and we had a chat the day before transfer-deadline day. Then in the morning I texted him again and told him that I had finished everything with Anderlecht," Mitrovic said of his last-gasp move to Fulham.

"But then that didn't happen, and in just 15 to 20 minutes we had to get everything done [to complete my move] to Fulham. It was really stressful but, in the end, it finished unbelievably for me."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aleksandar-mitrovic-comments-newcastle-future-14707371

WhiteJC

2018 Playoff Final Preview

Saturday's game is the eighth playoff final I've covered for this blog.

Before we go any further, I have to warn any Fulham fans that I don't have a great record of accurately predicting the outcome of this game.

Aston Villa v Fulham

(Saturday 5pm kickoff, Sky Sports Football/Main Event will begin broadcasting at 4pm)

Statistically I always treat this as an away game for both teams and there's a big difference between them in this respect.

Aston Villa

Last ten aways: 5-1-4, 14-9. Five clean sheets, failed to score in four games.

Don't read too much into those numbers. Only two of those five wins were recorded against teams that finished in the top ten and Villa's away record against the other teams in the top six was worse than that. Although their win at Middlesbrough in the first leg of the semi final duplicated the result at the Riverside at the end of December, it's worth remembering that they only picked up 13 away points from 33 available against the other clubs in the top half of the Championship and Steve Bruce's side failed to beat Brentford, Derby and Millwall either at home or away. Indeed, Preston had a better overall away record than Villa.

Villa have been pretty settled this season – four players have appeared in 40 or more games – and their main sources of goals are Albert Adomah and Conor Hourihane, who have scored 25 times between them this season. A note of caution here: Adomah hasn't scored away from Villa Park in the league since mid-November and hasn't scored at all since the start of February. He's currently 3/1 in the 'anytime goalscorer' market.

Fulham

Last ten aways: 6-2-2, 16-9. Three clean sheets, failed to score in one game.

This season Fulham's away record against the other teams in the top six was far better than Villa's. The Cottagers earned nine more away points against the teams in the top half of the table than their opponents did (only Wolves had a better record on the road this season), but interestingly one of the reasons Fulham are playing in the final rather than watching it is that they failed to beat either Brentford or Bristol City this season. It's also interesting to note that Fulham are going into the final having not won on the road since beating Millwall in April: they haven't lost three away games in the Championship since the end of 2014.

As you might expect, Fulham have also been settled this season: six of their squad have made 40 or more appearances this season including the phenomenal teenage 'defender' Ryan Sessegnon, who has an extremely bright future ahead of him regardless of whether he stays at Craven Cottage or not. The arrival of Serbian international striker Aleksandar Mitrovic from Newcastle at the start of February was an inspired managerial move by fellow Serb Slavisa Jokanovic: unlike Albert Adomah, Sessegnon and Mitrovic have both scored away goals recently and are first and second favourites in the 'anytime goalscorer' market.

Head to head

This is where it starts looking ominous for Villa. They've only won three of their last ten games against Fulham and only two of the last six.

Random stats

I'll be returning to this theme in a moment, but the last five finals have produced a grand total of just four goals in 90 minutes with two going to extra time. The last time both teams scored in the final was six years ago when West Ham beat Blackpool.

This is the first final between teams that have finished 3rd and 4th in the final table since 2015, when Norwich beat Middlesbrough. Generally speaking, the higher placed team have won half of the last ten finals.

Six of the last ten playoff winners have won at least 80 points, including five of the last six. In four of the last six finals, both teams have won at least 80 points. That's significant – as is the fact that no team over the last decade has reached the final having won more points than Fulham did this season.

Verdict

As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I picked Fulham for promotion before 2017/18 began so I can't go against them now. One thing that may go in their favour is that the weight of expectation on Aston Villa – who have never appeared in a playoff final – may be too much: Steve Bruce played down reports of a 'feisty' training session earlier this week – which is odd, considering how Villa 'won' the Fair Play title in the Championship this season.

However, I do think there will be a few goals in this game. Nobody scored more away goals than Fulham this season – nine more than Villa – but eight teams (including Villa themselves) conceded fewer away from home than Fulham did.

In their away games this season, Villa have vulnerable in the fifteen minutes after half time: just over a third of the goals they've conceded on their travels have been scored during that period. However, almost a quarter of the goals they've scored have come between the 61st and 75th minute.

It's the final 15 minutes that could be explosive. Fulham have scored 35% of their away goals in that period. However the Cottagers are defensively vulnerable at the end of each half whilst Villa often go on a defensive footing during that period: indicates that it might come down to Fulham looking for a late winner and seeing how the Villa defence holds up.

http://www.buzzinchampionshipfootball.co.uk/2018-playoff-final-preview/4359

WhiteJC

Our Expert Tipster Predicts A Cagey Affair In The Championship Play-Off Final As Fulham Face Aston Villa

Steve Bruce was forced to cut a 'feisty' training session short on Tuesday because his Aston Villa players were snapping into tackles and getting a little too carried away by the competition for places. His concern wasn't anybody getting hurt, more the fear that this band of highly-seasoned pros might be overcooked by Saturday.

The intensity was too much, too soon, so Bruce deemed it necessary to put them back on the leash. And that should serve as stark warning to Fulham about what to expect here because this isn't a team that's going to freeze on the big stage or be overwhelmed by what's at stake. In terms of previous Wembley appearances, the Midlanders outnumber the Cottagers by 59 to 2.

That landslide isn't all down to 37-year-old John Terry. Eleven of the 14 possible starters in the Villa ranks have played at the national stadium before, 10 of whom have sampled both victory and defeat, while six have been involved in play-off finals. Bruce himself returns for the fourth time in three years, having won this fixture two years ago with Hull.

So Fulham might dominate ball and territory, as they always do, but that doesn't guarantee serenity where it matters most: in both penalty boxes. The come-from-behind 2-1 aggregate win over Derby went some way towards easing concerns about mental fragility but it's no small matter that they required 111 minutes to level things up.

Villa kept two clean sheets in their semi-final, against a Middlesbrough side that had netted 27 goals in their previous 14 matches, restricting them to just two shots on target across the two legs. They were in control throughout, against stronger opposition, and never seemed remotely anxious at any stage, so they appeal as underdogs here.

The 1-0 correct score has copped in five out of 11 finals since Wembley re-opened in 2007, a bet landed three times by outsiders. Villa might create fewer chances from open play but they pose the bigger threat at set plays. If they find the breakthrough at any stage, no matter how early, they are streetwise enough to close the game out.

Recommended bets:

1pt Aston Villa to win at 5/2

1pt Aston Villa 1-0 correct score at 8/1

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/our-expert-tipster-predicts-a-cagey-affair-in-the-championship-play-off-final-as-fulham-face-aston-villa

WhiteJC

Aston Villa v Fulham: The defensive stalwarts looking to guide their side to the top flight

Football League World's FLW Duels feature is brought to you by 5p0rtz.com – try 5p0rtz.com's World Cup Pool Predictor for free and you could win £1million! Click here to play.

The play-off final between Aston Villa and Fulham takes centre stage tomorrow afternoon as they clash with the final promotion spot at stake.

Finishing third and fourth in the league respectively, it seems as though it's only right that the two meet at the National Stadium tomorrow and there's set to be match-ups across the field.

With that said, the two defences will need to be on their mettle and, with that in mind, we're taking a closer look at how John Terry and Tim Ream's stats compare from the campaign.

Terry, of course, has been inducted into certain Teams of the Year this season but, arguably, Ream can feel aggrieved that he's seemingly been so overlooked this season.

Indeed, looking at the stats it's the Fulham man who just about edges things – though Terry's stats are still good.

Certainly, both will be key in their side's respective challenges tomorrow with the likes of Aleksandar Mitrovic and Lewis Grabban on the prowl, and it might just be Fulham who have the defensive edge.

Much, as it has been all season, will be made of Villa's defence ahead of the game but with these stats in mind the Lilywhites can go into the game confident they can keep the Villans quiet.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/aston-villa-v-fulham-the-defensive-stalwarts-looking-to-guide-their-side-to-the-top-flight/

WhiteJC

Three Key Battles To Watch Out For As Villa Face Fulham

There will be a number of individual battles tomorrow that we will have to win if we going to come out on top against Fulham.

Ahead of our date with destiny, I have decided to highlight a few of the more important ones:

1) Elmohamady/Bree v Sessegnon

Our no.27 trained on Wednesday and Thursday, while Steve Bruce has confirmed he will be given a "thorough" workout today before deciding on whether he will start tomorrow.

The Egyptian's experience will be key to keeping Ryan Sessegnon quiet on our right-hand side. James Bree did a decent job in the second leg against Middlesbrough, but it was telling that Steve Bruce chose to switch Alan Hutton to mark Adama Traore when the Spaniard moved to Bree's side in the second half.

Unlike the Boro winger, Fulham's no.3 does have an end product, and it will be very interesting to see what the manager does if Elmo is not fit.

2) The Midfield Triumvirate

The two teams are very similar in the middle of the park. Kevin McDonald, like Mile Jedinak, will play a screening role, while Johansen and Cairney will venture forward in a similar manner to Hourihane and Grealish

In his press conference on Thursday, Steve Bruce emphasised the importance of possession in tomorrow's game, and the battle in this area will have to be won if we are to wrestle control of the ball, and the match.

If we fail in this area of the pitch, we could be under pressure for long spells.

3) Mitrovic v Terry/Chester

On this one, I have the most confidence we'll come out on top. The Serbian striker thrives being the target man, holding up the ball and laying it off. He brings the quicker players in the Fulham side into play.

Stopping Mitrovic at source is crucial. Former Villa defender Curtis Davies showed how it was done in the first leg for Derby at Pride Park. Both Chester and certainly our captain are more than capable and should have what it takes to snuff out the forward's threat.

https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/three-battles-to-watch-out-for-as-villa-face-fulham/

WhiteJC

Why Fulham is the right place for Tom Cairney & how those West Ham links were 'confidence boost'

The skipper has always been adamant it's his dream to get promoted with Fulham, and he'll have that chance on Saturday at Wembley

Tom Cairney has made it no secret just how much he wants to captain Fulham back to the Premier League.

It has been a two-year project to get the side to where they are now - last season ended in disappointment at Reading but the side are now 90 minutes away from a place back in the top flight.

Aston Villa stand in their way, though.

Steve Bruce's side is full of experience, with players like John Terry and Robert Snodgrass having been here and done it before, while Fulham are fresher to the Wembley scene.

Cairney has enjoyed a wonderful few years at Craven Cottage, becoming one of the hottest properties in the Football League, but those performances led to transfer rumours in January that he was heading for the exit door in west London.

But fast forward five months and the 27-year-old is about to lead his side out at Wembley Stadium, and Cairney believes if they manage to do it, Fulham will be a Premier League side for a long time to come.

Speaking to SkyBet and David Prutton, he said: "I just want to get back into the Premier League, I just want to do that with Fulham so badly and I think when the rumours over the transfer in January and I signed a contract extension in the summer - I did that for a reason.

"I believe this club, if we get to the Premier League, we'll stay there a long time, I think with the owners and how ambitious they are - he's doing the try before you buy!

"I just think we'd attract players to Fulham, being in London and the Premier League and I think Fulham would want to do that."

(Image: Victoria Jones/PA Wire)

Those rumours could've distracted other players and the side - not only was Cairney being touted for a move, but Ryan Fredericks and Ryan Sessegnon were both being linked with transfers away.

Slavisa Jokanovic, the side's cool-headed head coach, was probably the only person not talking about those moves, however.

While Cairney took it as a confidence boost that he was being linked with Premier League clubs, Jokanovic didn't address the issue with his skipper at all - he didn't need to, as Cairney explains.

"It wasn't tough, I just took it as a confidence boost that I'm doing something right.

"The manager never said a word and never addressed it - he didn't say anything but he didn't need to and I knew what the plan was and the task ahead and now I'm 90 minutes away from maybe completing it."

Jokanovic has a reputation for being an intimidating character - when you see him prowling the touchline at the Cottage on a macthday it's perhaps easy to see why.

But he'll probably have the coolest head of everyone at Wembley on Saturday when Villa and Fulham do battle, with his demeanour of not feeling pressure an important part of the play-off final matchday experience.

And after the play-off semi final victory over Derby County, Cairney has revealed Jokanovic even managed to crack a smile.

"He smiled, he came in and said 'well done, see you Thursday' and it was like 'cheers'.

"Nah, he was happy, you could tell, and the staff we delighted too because we did it our way and we had lost the first leg and people were saying we needed to play different but we stuck to our guns and what we believe in and because we won the way we did the staff were delighted too."

The scenes after that game were ones that Craven Cottage haven't seen for a long time - Denis Odoi was carried to the changing rooms by fans while Marcus Bettinelli was hoisted up onto shoulders waving a black and white flag.

Some in the Villa camp weren't impressed, however, with Conor Hourihane saying after Villa's victory in their semi final that they'll remember the Fulham celebrations, branding it as looking like 'they'd just won the league'.

But that's something Cairney dismisses - he feels the celebrations were due to relief and that Fulham deserve their chance at Wembley on Saturday afternoon.

"We went crazy and I think, it was such a weird feeling, it was more relief because we celebrated but weren't celebrating like we had won the thing," he added.

"It was relief really because of the year before, because of the last day of the season and we gave ourselves that chance.

"It's been a two-year project and I think the team deserves it and deserve to go to Wembley and have a chance to get into the Premier League."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/fulham-right-place-tom-cairney-14704977

WhiteJC

HOT OR NOT: Ryan Sessegnon proves to a fine young man as well as player while Michel Platini's World Cup claim exposes him as a dreadful person

Ryan Sessegnon has kept his feet on the ground even as his reputation takes off
    The Fulham left back washed his own kit and returned it to the club after a delay
    Alastair Cook assures himself of his England place with a useful 70 at Lord's
    Michel Platini says World Cup 1998 schedule was fixed, and no one is surprised

It's Hot or Not time again as Sportsmail's Ian Ladyman reveals what's been making him feel warm and what's been leaving him cold this week.

HOT

Ryan Sessegnon

The teenage left back is expected to join Tottenham this summer if Fulham do not win the Championship play-off final on Saturday.

If he does go, Mauricio Pochettino will gain a fine player and a fine young man.

Delayed by a drugs test after a recent game, the 18-year-old took his kit home and washed and ironed it before returning it to the club the next day.

Ryan Sessagnon is expected to leave Fulham for Tottenham if they fail to win promotion

Gary Rowett

Stoke's new manager was treated so badly when sacked by Birmingham that he cannot be blamed for putting himself first now.

But having left Derby for the Potteries only months after signing a new contract at Pride Park, he probably needs to get this job right.

Alastair Cook

The former England captain's longevity is admirable and his 70 in the team's first dig at Lord's was valuable.

That knock will probably keep him in the England team all summer — and that probably says as much about the competition as it does about him.

NOT

Michel Platini

The disgraced former UEFA president claimed the draw for the 1998 World Cup was rigged so France and Brazil could meet in the final — and there was a time when such a claim would have sent shockwaves through football.

But Platini's reputation has sunk so low that nobody really knows, or cares, whether he is telling the truth.

Platini was a magnificent footballer and it is tragic that he has turned out to be such a dreadful human being. Sometimes it is best to remember people for what they were rather than for what they have become.

Willian

The Brazilian is a gifted player and it's a mystery why Antonio Conte didn't play him more.

By so obviously erasing the Chelsea coach from an FA Cup celebration picture on his Instagram page, Willian made his feelings very clear.

Conte's successor at Stamford Bridge would be foolish to overlook him, if another talented player isn't to go on to experience success elsewhere.

Social Media Obsession

En route to Kiev, three former Liverpool team-mates sat in a business lounge at Munich before an appearance in a 'legends game' in Ukraine.

Instead of chatter and talk of the old days, they spent two hours staring at their mobile phone screens. Whoever called it 'social media' was utterly wrong.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5772989/HOT-NOT-Ryan-Sessagnon-proves-fine-young-man.html#ixzz5GaNsWuG2
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook