watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (26/05/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 25, 2018, 04:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

The £170m roll of the dice: Blow it at Wembley and Fulham could lose their star man Ryan Sessegnon and boss Slavisa Jokanovic

Fulham could lose the core of their highly coveted squad if they lose on Saturday
    They face Aston Villa in the £170million Championship play-off final at Wembley
    Players like Ryan Sessegnon and Tom Cairney could head for the exit if they lose
    Manager Slavisa Jokanovic could also leave if they fail to secure promotion

The Championship play-off final on Saturday may be billed as the £170million match but for Fulham and owner Shahid Khan, the trip to Wembley is worth much more.

If Fulham fail to secure a place in the Premier League, they risk losing the core of their highly coveted squad, as well as manager Slavisa Jokanovic.

Captain Tom Cairney is tipped to move on, teenage starlet Ryan Sessegnon is wanted by the big clubs and Aleksandar Mitrovic will have offers.

Fulham could lose Ryan Sessegnon and others if they fail to beat Aston Villa on Saturday

Jokanovic is admired by Chelsea, among other clubs, and Khan is well aware of all this as he prepares to visit the premises he is attempting to purchase.

Those close to the billionaire owner say he is not thinking about the money. What Khan really wants is a seat at the Premier League's top table.

Jokanovic is similarly hungry for success and the Serb said when asked about Fulham potentially becoming a global brand: 'First of all, I am not thinking about money I do not have in my pocket.

'Secondly, my owner is a rich enough guy. I don't think we are going to save his life with these few million pounds. I am really motivated because what I am thinking about is being successful.'

Manager Slavisa Jokanovic (R) and captain Tom Cairney (L) have been tipped to move on

Jokanovic gave Aston Villa counterpart Steve Bruce an easy team-talk with some eye-catching views of his team.

'They are an old and tired team and they are going to show some weaknesses,' Jokanovic said.

'Steve Bruce knows how to protect his defensive line, but we know we can put them under pressure and cause damage.'

Jokanovic also had a warning for Villa veteran John Terry, 37.

'Terry has played so many games at Wembley, but we are going to put him under pressure from strong and fast players, and we hope he can make some mistakes,' he said.

When Jokanovic took over three years ago, he was not tasked with promotion to the Premier League, rather to avoid dropping into League One.

The 49-year-old led Watford to the top flight earlier in 2015 but never got to manage there as his deal expired that summer and was not extended.

Fulham's teenage wonderkid Sessegnon is being scouted by some of the top clubs in England

Jokanovic is admired by Chelsea but the manager insists he isn't thinking about his future

He has a year left on his current contract at Craven Cottage. Win on Saturday, and Fulham sources say a new and improved one may follow.

'I'm not thinking about my future,' Jokanovic said. 'I am not thinking about the players' future. I am not thinking about the Premier League. I am only thinking about the game. Tickets are sold out. I am sure we will find a white wall at Wembley that will push, be noisy.'

Sessegnon, the 18-year-old who scored 15 goals in the Championship this season, is the one who will be chased the most this summer. Fulham know it too.

This week a story circulated where he once went for a drug test following a night match then returned to the changing room to find the squad had left, including the kit-man.

So he took his shirt, shorts and socks home, washed them, ironed them, then brought them back the following day. It showed his level of maturity and Jokanovic insists on calling him a man, not a boy.

'I try to avoid calling this man a kid, because he is in an important business and what he is doing, normally kids cannot do,' he said. 'This man doesn't make mistakes. He is focused, concentrated and he wants to be successful.'

Fulham's players are hungry to get to the Premier League. One way or another, a few of them will there next season.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5773011/Fulham-lose-Ryan-Sessegnon-manager-Slavisa-Jokanovic-fail-beat-Aston-Villa.html#ixzz5GaP34FlE
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham playoff final: 'If we can deal with the pressure, I think we'll win' - Tom Cairney
FOR Frank Sinatra, read Tom Cairney. The leader of the Fulham Rat Pack may not be able to croon 'My Way' like Ol' Blue Eyes, but the mantra is the same – if Fulham earn promotion today, it will be done their way or not at all.

Tom Cairney has urged his Fulham teammates to stick to their passing style of play

Scotland international Cairney, 27, loves his role as the fulcrum of one of the best passing sides witnessed in Sky Bet Championship history and he is adamant that the style will not be compromised against Aston Villa.

Cairney said: "If we can deal with the amount of people at Wembley and we can play our game under the pressure of the game, I think we'll win.

"It's a huge pitch and if it's wet, then I'd say it suits our football. We'll look to dominate the ball and if we do that, I think we'll create a lot of chances.

"The manager Slavisa Jokanovic takes a lot of responsibility off us. The way we play is quite un-Championship-like. We play out from the back which can be risky.

"But he always tells us that if we make mistakes, he pays the bill, which is brilliant and takes a lot of pressure off us.

Tom Cairney has been Fulham's permanent captain since Scott Parker left in 2017

"He and the staff were happy after the semi-final against Derby because we did it our way. We had lost the first leg and I can remember reading where people said we had to play differently. But we stuck to our guns and what we believe in."

Listening to Cairney, it is clear how much respect Jokanovic commands among his players, even if the Serb is not exactly the most expressive of managers.

Cairney added: "After the Brentford game a couple of months ago when we conceded an equaliser in the last 10 seconds, you might expect the manager to go absolutely mental, throwing everything around, bottles, the lot.

"But he's the opposite. He just sat there for 10 minutes in the dressing room not really doing anything. That's just the way he is.

Slavisa Jokanovic's Fulham beat Aston Villa 2-0 in February

"Then after the semi-final win against Derby, the players were going crazy in the dressing room. He just came in and said: 'Well done. See you Thursday." That was it. He did smile, though, and you could tell he was happy.

"He knows what he wants from each individual and he reminds you of that before you go out every match."

Cairney has been doing it his way ever since being released by Leeds at the age of 16. Hull City gave him a second chance, one which has fuelled his career ever since.

He added: "That feeling I had when Leeds released me at 16 was always: 'It's the wrong decision, I will show you.' That's been my driver ever since it happened.

"I think that's why I score so many goals against Leeds. I was there from seven until 16 so they had a massive part of my life and I gave everything towards that club.

"Every player walking out at Wembley on Saturday has got to believe that they should be there. That's how you perform."

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/965170/Fulham-playoff-final-Tom-Cairney-rallies-teammates-for-Wembley-showdown

WhiteJC

'You are going to have to see everybody's last drop of sweat': Aston Villa's Mile Jedinak labels Championship play-off final against Fulham a 'sliding doors' moment

Mile Jedinak is aware how different the financial landscape will look for the club
    Aston Villa face Fulham on Saturday in £170million Championship play-off final
    Significant cutbacks are expected with another season in the second tier

Mile Jedinak has called the Championship play-off final a 'sliding doors' moment for Aston Villa.

The midfielder is aware how different the financial landscape will look for the club in the Premier League should they win the £170million match.

Conversely, significant cutbacks are expected with another season in the second tier.

'It is a cross roads moment in every aspect,' said Jedinak. 'Sliding doors, it can go one of two ways.

'I can't speak for everybody but that motivates me. I use that on the field to make sure I'm doing everything I possibly can.

'You are going to have to see everybody's last drop of sweat. It's a bigger stake but that makes it even more exciting.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5773293/Mile-Jedinak-labels-Championship-play-final-sliding-doors-moment.html#ixzz5GaQURvjm
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham playoff final: Slavisa Jokanovic urges his players to seize their chance at Wembley
SLAVISA JOKANOVIC has drilled into his Fulham glory seekers just how important Saturday's Championship playoff final is for him, the team, the club and the fans.

Slavisa Jokanovic has rallied his Fulham players ahead of their trip to Wembley

"It's a massive challenge," said the Fulham manager. "the opportunity to be once again be part of the best league in the world."

Fulham suffered the heartbreak of losing in the play-off semi-finals last season after storming up the table to qualify.

They know how vital it is they do not fail again after making a similar exciting challenge before eventually finishing third.

It's a second chance few teams enjoy and Jokanovic, who is attracting the attention of clubs like Chelsea, said: "It is very necessary we show our best face at Wembley, so we are ready for everything.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side went on a 23-game unbeaten run during the Championship season

"It is not important that we have been made favourites, that means nothing, but there is pressure, we must make sure it does not become negative.

"I have played some important games in my life but this is the biggest."

Fulham captain Tom Cairney earlier revealed the laidback nature of his side's Serbian manager.

Tom Cairney has praised his manager before the Wembley showdown

"The manager Slavisa Jokanovic takes a lot of responsibility off us. The way we play is quite un-Championship-like. We play out from the back which can be risky.

"But he always tells us that if we make mistakes, he pays the bill, which is brilliant and takes a lot of pressure off us.

"He and the staff were happy after the semi-final against Derby because we did it our way. We had lost the first leg and I can remember reading where people said we had to play differently. But we stuck to our guns and what we believe in."

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/965320/Fulham-playoff-final-Slavisa-Jokanovic-urges-his-players-to-seize-their-chance-at-Wembley

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic: Fulham will target John Terry in play-off final

Slavisa Jokanovic, the Fulham manager, has vowed to deploy his "best weapons" against Aston Villa as he looks to target 37-year-old John Terry in Saturday's Championship play-off final.

Jokanovic hopes his young forwards will be able to exhaust Terry and defensive partner James Chester in a game in which Fulham expect to dominate possession.

The Fulham manager fielded an energetic front three of Aleksandar Mitrovic, Ryan Sessegnon and Aboubakar Kamara, none of whom are older than 23, in their 2-0 semi-final victory over Derby County last week.

"If you don't make them tired, it will be easy for them," said Jokanovic of Villa's experienced defensive pairing. "I will try to use my best weapons at the end, the game can be long. And I am going to be ready on the bench too for what can be interesting situations."

The powerful Mitrovic, whose loan move from Newcastle United ends after this game, has scored 12 goals since joining Fulham at the end of the January transfer window.

"He [Mitrovic] is a strong man and probably we need to make Terry move a little bit more, to stop him having the opportunity to use all his experience," said Jokanovic, who played with Terry at Chelsea in the early 2000s. "It is going to be a great challenge. A Premier League striker against two Premier League centre-backs."

Jokanovic wants to make Aston Villa's defenders 'tired' Credit: PA

Fulham have become known for their attractive brand of football under Jokanovic, but the 49-year-old insisted his side is capable of "parking the bus" if required.

"We trust if we follow the style we have followed for these two years, we will be more close to winning the game," Jokanovic said.

"It is not a question about aesthetics. It is not a question of showing how we play very good football. We know it is only important to win the game.

"My team will try to perform well and try to find our style to have more opportunity to win the game. If we need for the last 15 minutes to park the bus on the 18-yard box, we are going to do it. But we cannot do it at the beginning because this way cannot guarantee us to be successful.

"I believe that if we are confident for doing what we do always, we are going to have more chances to win the game."

Fulham have young, vibrant attackers Credit: pa

The winner of the the final, which has been dubbed 'the richest game in football', will receive at least £160m in revenue following promotion to the Premier League.

For Fulham, there is also the question of what will happen to the club if they do not achieve promotion this time around. They will no longer receive parachute payments from the Premier League next season and are likely to lose a series of key figures if they remain in the Championship.

Captain Tom Cairney has interested a number of Premier League clubs and teenage sensation Ryan Sessegnon would command a hefty transfer fee. There is also unease over the future of Jokanovic, who could be targeted by a top-flight club in the summer.

Jokanovic gained promotion with Watford in 2015 but left the club before he had the opportunity to manage in the Premier League.

"I have more connection with this club than with Watford," he said. "These are memories, and it is behind me. I was really happy there and now I must continue to live my life and push myself and people around me to be successful."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/25/slavisa-jokanovicfulham-will-target-john-terry-play-off-final/

WhiteJC

Who are more American; Fulham or Aston Villa?

Prince v Michael Jackson, the Fulham v Villa celeb war

Fulham were once jokingly known as Fulham USA because of the American players at the Craven Cottage club. But Saturday's opponents Aston Villa are not without their own American connection. So which side should Americans root for?

Fulham had two American strikers on their books in the 90s, Brian McBride and Clint Dempsey McBride played from 2004 – 2009, making 140 appearances and scoring 33 goals. Sounders FC's Dempsey played from 2007-2012, playing 184 games and achieving a notable 50 goals.

In 2007, he was involved in an aerial collision with now Villa captain John Terry (then of Chelsea) during a West London derby at Stamford Bridge. Dempsey was accused of using an elbow but referee Martin Atkinson did not report the incident to the FA although Terry had to eventually leave the field because of it. Despite that, or more likely because of it, Dempsey is well remembered at Craven Cottage. The two goals he scored against Chelsea the next year doubtless help.

Nowadays, Fulham have defender Tim Ream once of the New York Red Bulls. He also enjoys scoring in West London derbies, scoring his first goal for the club in a 2–1 loss against Queens Park Rangers on October 1, 2016. Californian midfielder Luca de la Torre has been on Fulham's books since 2016 and has made five league appearances this year.

Clint Dempsey is still fondly remembered in Fulham

Six other Americans have played for the club, three of whom like Dempsey also have a Sounders connection; goalkeepers Marcus Hahnemann (1999-2002) and Kasey Keller (2007-2008), as well as forward Eddie Johnson (2008-2011). The others are Eddie Lewis (2000-2002), Carlos Bocanegra (2004-2008) and Emerson Hyndman (2011-2016).

Four high profile Americans have played for Villa; Michael Bradley (3 games on loan), Brad Guzan (144 appearances), Brad Friedel (114 games) and Eric Lichaj (32 games).

OWNERS

If Fulham have the advantage on the playing side, Villa had one of the English game's most recognisable American owners, Randy Lerner. In August 2006,  Lerner bought 59.69% of the club's shares for about $95M (exchange rate of $1.43) and assumed responsibility for another $24M of debt. That purchase included the 39% stake of "Deadly" Doug Ellis, a name synonymous with the olden style authoritarian chairman that had bedeviled English football. Lerner quickly appointed himself Chairman of the Board of the club.

On September 19, Ellis and his board resigned, and were replaced by Lerner as chairman with General Charles C. Krulak, Bob Kain and Michael Martin serving as non-executive directors. At the close of the deal in 2006, Lerner became only the second American owner of a Premiership club.

Unlike many a speculating foreigner, Lerner's interest in Villa was partly emotional. During his time at Cambridge University, he had followed English football, taking an interest in three teams: Arsenal, (ironically) Fulham and Aston Villa. His interest in England's top flight continued and ripened after he had returned to the States. At the time he bought Aston Villa, Lerner's wealth was estimated to be $1.6 billion. He left in 2016.

Shahid Khan was unknown to the casual soccer fan in England until last month when news surfaced of an attempt to buy Wembley Stadium by the Fulham owner. Ranked as the 158th richest man in the world, American business insiders knew him better as he was on the front cover of Forbes magazine in 2012, Khan bought Fulham in July 2013 from Mohamed Al Fayed for an undisclosed price. In 2010, he had bought the NFL Jacksonville Jaguars, one of the NFL's smaller market sides.

As of August 2017, Khan's net worth is over $8.7 billion and he is ranked 70th in the Forbes 400 list of richest Americans. Born in Lahore, Pakistan, he moved to the United States in 1967 aged 16 to study at the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign. He now lives in Naples, Florida.

https://www.prostamerika.com/2018/05/24/who-are-more-american-fulham-or-villa/184791/

WhiteJC

Matchday Build-Up

From pre-match interviews to expert analysis and famous fans, we've got all the matchday build-up you could possibly need ahead of Fulham's first trip to Wembley since 1975.

Alan Mullery: Enjoy It

The only man to have previous led Fulham out at Wembley has urged the lads to take everything in on Saturday: "Go and enjoy it, just go and enjoy it, because you never know when you're next going to play at Wembley. It's the one place where everyone wants to play. I shall we watching on the television, cheering them on from there!"

Jim's Wembley Dream

Fulham's matchday commentator Gentleman Jim cannot wait to report on his beloved side at the home of football: "It's a real thrill. I'm sure the press box at Wembley wasn't designed with the likes of me in mind, but it will be nice. I had to pinch myself - it's a great little gig for me."

Sean's Column

Sean Davis is in a positive mood ahead of Fulham's showdown with Aston Villa: "I'm 100 per cent confident for Saturday. I just feel it's our time. Barry Hayles and I ended up in the Golden Lion pub after the Semi-Final and the celebrations were incredible. The after-party was great so I can't imagine what it will be like after Wembley if we've been promoted back to the Premier League. All the best to the players, I'll have everything crossed."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/may/26/matchday-build-up

WhiteJC

Where to find Championship Playoff Final on US streaming: Fulham vs. Aston Villa

If you're trying to find out how you can watch Fulham vs. Aston Villa in the Championship playoff final, you've come to the right place.

Wembley Stadium hosts the English Championship play-off final on Saturday, with the winner of the game between Aston Villa and Fulham set to receive at least $212 million in revenue. The winner gets promoted to the Premier League. The loser spends another season in the Championship.

Note that the game is not being televised in the United States. The only way to watch it is via a free trial to ESPN+, their new streaming service.

Match: Fulham vs. Aston Villa
Kickoff: Saturday, Noon ET
Looking to watch Fulham vs. Aston Villa online from your work, home or on the go? If you live in the USA, there are several options to catch all the action.

We Recommend:
US Only.

Here are all of the details of where you can watch it via legal streaming:

Who: Fulham vs. Aston Villa
What: Championship Playoff Final
When: Game kicks off at Noon ET / 9am PT; Saturday, May 26, 2018
Where: Live on ESPN+ (7-day free trial)

With ESPN+, you can watch Fulham vs. Aston Villa and tons of other soccer games with a free 7-day trial. ESPN+ also streams select MLS games, USL, UEFA Nations League and Championship games.

With the legal streaming service, you can watch the game on your Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, Fire TV smart TVs and Fire Tablets (4th generation and newer), Apple iPhone, iPad and Apple TV, as well as Roku, Android phones, Android TV and Chromecast.

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2018/05/25/find-championship-playoff-final-us-streaming-fulham-vs-aston-villa/

WhiteJC

Statistical Preview: 2018 Championship Playoff Final
This is it! Can our favorite football club make it back to the top flight?

It's finally here! After two years of glorious football under manager Slavisa Jokanovic, Fulham Football Club has been rewarded a chance to return to the English Premier League in tomorrow's playoff final in Wembley Stadium. They will go toe-to-toe with fellow former Premier League mainstay Aston Villa for the right to claim that third and final promotion spot and it will surely be nothing short of a cracker!

There are plenty of storylines coming into such an occasion. While Aston Villa is easily the more experienced club with Steve Bruce managing and former Chelsea-legend John Terry as captain, Fulham is a side reborn thanks to Jokanovic's style of play, Tom Cairney conducting the midfield and Ryan Sessegnon becoming the next young English star. Along with that, this is the Southwest London side's first-ever trip to "the home of football" since 1975, when Bobby Moore featured in valiant defeat to his former club, West Ham United, in the FA Cup Final.

While this is not a trophy to prove they are among the best in England or a European night like it was in Hamburg in 2010, this is still going to be a glorious occasion for Fulham and its supporters. In fact, all 38,000 of the allotted tickets were sold out for both sets of fans, so tomorrow's Championship Playoff Final could go down as one of the most anticipated in years. The reputations of the clubs, the backstories of the players and the club histories, and the loyalties of both sets of supporters will truly catch the imagination of this occasion.

Eventually, a whistle will be blown and a game of football will commence. In order to predict what will happen, we're going to need cold hard facts to help us out.
October 21st Fixture
Teams    Goals    exp. Goals    Possession    Formations    Total Shots    Shots on Target    Passes    Forward Passes
Fulham    1    0.7    68.2    4-3-3    9    2    616    337
Aston Villa    2    2.1    31.8    4-4-1-1    15    6    286    214
All data from fulhamfc.com and experimental361.com
February 17th Fixture
Teams    Goals    exp. Goals    Possession    Formations    Total Shots    Shots on Target    Passes    Forward Passes
Fulham    2    1.2    63    4-3-3    14    7    602    342
Aston Villa    0    0.6    37    4-1-4-1    7    2    350    226
All data from fulhamfc.com and experimental361.com

Just as it was for the Derby semifinal, Fulham was a tale of two sides between the two fixtures. The first one at Villa Park was at a time when the club was in the midst of going winless in six games while Villa was in the middle of losing only once in twelve fixtures, and that was to eventual Champions Wolves the week before. Albert Adomah was instrumental on the day with 2 shots, 2 key passes and a goal in the first leg. In all, he was part of a midfield quartet that has been Aston Villa's bread-and-butter with the 30-year old leading the club with 14 goals this season. The rest of the quartet, in Jack Grealish, Connor Hourihane, and Robert Snodgrass, are all instrumental in helping out whoever the lone striker is up front in Bruce's 4-1-4-1 formation.

In the return fixture at Craven Cottage, Fulham returned the favor to Villa as the Aleksander Mitrovic experience was just about to start. While he might not have been on fire just yet, he did have three shots with two of them going on target. Along with that, the rest of the attacking trio contributed as well to combine for 10 of Fulham's 14 shots. In particular, Floyd Ayite was immense as he went on to have four shots, four key passes and the second goal in a 2-0 victory. Along with that, Ryan Fredericks tore up Villa's defense with two successful dribbles, three key passes and an assist on the opening goal by Ryan Sessegnon.

While Alan Hutton did not have one of his best night's on the day, he was one of the key figures in Villa's semifinal victory over Middlesbrough, where he was responsible for marking Adama Traore out of the game. Both Fredericks and Ayite are more effective than the 'Boro wide man, but the Hutton's performance against the quicker duo on Fulham's right-hand side will be a key to Villa's victory.

This will be emphasized even further if Ahmed El Mohamady is not able to play due to a hamstring injury. While James Bree has played admirably in his place recently, the former Hull City fullback is a much more attacking presence and is the lone defender to provide any sort of mobility. Otherwise, you're talking about maybe James Chester coming in and getting on the end of crosses (4 goals and 1 assist) to add any variety to Villa's attack. With El-Mohamady at 30 years of age, Hutton at 33 and Terry at 37, it's just difficult to find anyone else there that can deliver speed from the back.

As has been the case whenever these two teams have clashed, the midfield will be the deciding battleground as to who wins the playoff final. The Tom Cairney-Stefan Johansen duo may not be as emphasized in attack (13 goals, 9 assists in 2017/18) as it was last campaign (24 goals, 19 assists in 2016/17), but they are still a knife-cuts-butter force when they are at their best with Kevin McDonald supporting them in the holding role. If they are able to penetrate through Hourihane, they should be able to get past an aging Mile Jedinak and be able to get off shots and create chances on the break.

That being said, Hourihane has been immense with his two-way play all season with only Adomah bettering his 85 successful tackles for the club. Along with that, Villa was fantastic in limiting 'Boro's quality chances during their two-legged semifinal: further proving why they should actually be considered one of the better defending teams in the Championship. This campaign, they were fourth in total expected goals allowed (50.3) while ranking sixth in total shots allowed (11.4 per 90 minutes) and eighth in shots on target allowed (3.87 per 90 minutes).

It's not so much how Villa are able to just shut up shop as much as it is them being able to retain possession (a solid 51.1% this season) and be able to control the pace of play. It will be critical for Fulham to show their more youthful exuberance and allow the Sessegnon-Mitrovic-Ayite go after Terry and Co. as much as possible. As for Villa, it will be being able to have Snodgrass and Graelish pick apart Fulham's defense with their passing (both average over 2.4 key passes per 90 minutes) with the rest of Villa's attack hoping to get on the end of such chances.

Clearly, the better team on the day will be the one that imposes their style the most. Since this is a winner-take-all situation, anything can happen, so that is why determining an outcome is so hard. This degree of difficulty is magnified when you consider that both sides are so similar and right next to each other in quality, expected goals and results in the Championship table. Like anyone else reading this, I would love for Fulham to go through, but it should surprise no one that they will have to be at their best in attack for them to go through. Because there is no more next game. All they can do is give it their all and hope that delivers their moment of glory.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/5/26/17393682/statistical-preview-2018-championship-playoff-final

WhiteJC

Neil Warnock backs Aston Villa's 'big players' at Wembley

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock is backing Aston Villa's 'big players' at Wembley, claiming they could be the deciding factor in the Championship play-off final.

Warnock guided his Cardiff side to second in the Championship this season, leaving Aston Villa and Fulham to battle it out for the final promotion place via the play-offs, with both sides successfully negotiating their semi-final contests.

With Villa and Fulham both preparing for the crunch encounter, Warnock believes Villa's experienced players could make the difference.

"It's a toss of the coin." he said, speaking on TalkSPORT earlier this week.

"I mean, Fulham have been the best footballing team in the division, but Villa have got the names.

"They've got that stability, they've got John [Terry] at the back.

"If Fulham really play, then Fulham are the best team. But in a match like that, the experience that Villa have got in all the positions really.

"I just think, they've got individuals, Villa. On their day they can beat anybody. They can also lose to anybody on their day.

"But I think at Wembley, the stature, I think they've got big players in there."

Fulham have been tipped as the bookies' favourites throughout the week, with fans citing teen sensation, Ryan Sessegnon as one player who could have a big part to play in the encounter.

However, Warnock believes that it's Villa's creative spark in Jack Grealish who could hold the key to the game, if he plays to his potential.

"Grealish, I've had run-ins with him in the last couple of years, because when you blow on him he goes down. But when he plays he's as good as anything in that league, I love to watch him play." he said.

"He's got everything now and he's got the best manager he could have hasn't he? Because if anybody can keep his feet on the floor it'll be Steve [Bruce].

"He has had run-ins with everybody really, a bit like me. But when you watch him in full flight he's very exciting."

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2018/05/26/neil-warnock-backs-aston-villas-big-players-at-wembley/

WhiteJC

Paul Dixon keen to see Kev McDonald back in Premier League

Kevin McDonald in action.   

If Fulham get back to the Premier League by beating Aston Villa in tomorrow's Championship play-off final at Wembley, Kevin McDonald will be back where he should have spent most of his career.

That's the verdict of the mercurial midfielder's former Dundee team-mate Paul Dixon.

As teenagers over a decade ago Dixon and McDonald were thrust into the first team as the Dark Blues continued their struggle to bounce back from administration in 2003.

After three years together, the pair left Dens Park within a few weeks of each other in the summer of 2008, Dixon to city rivals Dundee United and McDonald for Burnley.

Within a year of heading south, the latter was playing top-flight football with the Clarets and "Dicker" admits to thinking at the time that whether or not the Turf Moor outfit would stay at that level, his mate would.

After an infamous incident that saw McDonald leave the ground after being substituted at half-time during a 6-1 home defeat at the hands of Manchester City, what had been a promising start to his career down south faded for a time.

He played just one more top-tier game that season and has not performed at that level in just over eight years since. That still amazes Dixon.

"Honestly, knowing Kev's talent when he went down to Burnley and got promoted to the Premier League, I expected him to do what Virgil van Dijk and Andy Robertson have," he said.

"I was sure it would be a stepping stone to one of the top-six clubs down there because that is the kind of ability he has.

"He was thrown in at the deep end at Dundee, like a few of us were, but he quickly became a very big player in the team and it wasn't a surprise when English clubs started watching him every week.

"Burnley seemed a good move for him because he was getting a game and they got promoted but something went wrong and it knocked him back for a while.

"What exactly the story was I don't know and maybe we never will, but for me the good thing is he is back in with a chance of getting up to the highest level again.

"I have to say when you look at the clubs he's played for down south and the number of games he's had, you would never say he's had a bad career.

"It's just that he belongs in their Premier League and I really do hope Fulham win tomorrow and he can spend the next few seasons at that level."

He notes with interest McDonald is no longer the attacking midfielder of his Dens days, but tends to be the man who sits a touch deeper.

For him, that's just a another sign of his all-round ability.

"Kev was very much an attacking midfielder when we played together but the times I have seen Fulham on television this season he has had more of a holding role.

"He can still get forward and chip in with a few goals and he'll be a very important player for them at Wembley."

Such is the "small world" nature of football that McDonald is not the only reason Dixon will be rooting for the Cottagers in a game that could earn the winners £160 million, even if they were to be relegated this time next year.

"Oliver Norwood plays beside Kev in their midfield and I played in the same team as him at Huddersfield, so it would be good to see them both go up.

"I even know the other midfielder, Stefan Johansen because I played against him a few times when he was at Celtic and I was at United."

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/paul-dixon-keen-to-see-kev-mcdonald-back-in-premier-league/

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: WhiteJC on May 25, 2018, 04:40:08 PM

Steve Bruce indicates certain Aston Villa area will be crucial against Fulham

Steve Bruce believes that the experience him and his side possess will aid them significantly.

They also have a manager who has achieved four promotions to the Premier League, whereas, Slavisa Jokanovic hasn't achieved one,

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/steve-bruce-indicates-certain-aston-villa-area-will-be-crucial-against-fulham/

Don't tell Watford that......Shocking bias reporting....and people actually pay this numbskull for his 'knowledge'!!  Incredible!!
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

WhiteJC

Revealed: Majority of Aston Villa fans want to stick with 4-1-4-1 formation vs Fulham

Aston Villa will look to secure a return to the Premier League following a two-year absence when they face Fulham in the Championship play-off final at Wembley on Saturday.

The Midlands outfit saw off Middlesbrough 1-0 on aggregate over two legs in their semi-final tie, with manager Steve Bruce deploying a 4-1-4-1 system in both matches.

Mile Jedinak was the man tasked with sitting in front of the back four and providing that shield, and it certainly worked as the Villans kept two clean sheets.

They may well need that protection again against a free-scoring Fulham, with Slavisa Jokanovic's fluid 4-3-3 formation seeing them finish the league campaign as the second-top goalscorers in the division behind champions Wolverhampton Wanderers.

We at Football Fancast suggested previously that Bruce should perhaps look to be a little more adventurous and also select a 4-3-3 system because he has the players that would excel in, and it would likely shock the Cottagers ahead of the encounter.

We asked Aston Villa fans to vote on our poll to see which formation out of the two they would prefer Bruce to use on Saturday, and a majority 62% want him to play it safe and not take any risks by sticking with the trusted 4-1-4-1.

It will certailyn be interesting to see what the 57-year-old chooses to do this weekend, as he looks to lead the club back to the promised land.

https://www.footballfancast.com/championship/aston-villa/revealed-majority-of-aston-villa-fans-want-to-stick-with-4-1-4-1-formation-vs-fulham

WhiteJC

3 Fulham players who could be axed if Premier League football is achieved

This afternoon, Fulham take on Aston Villa in the Sky Bet Championship play-off final. 

A place in the Premier League awaits to winner at Wembley, with Slavisa Jokanovic's side hoping to finally seal their place back in the top tier of English football.

Not much focus will be going beyond this afternoon's clash with Villa, particularly with so much at stake for the Cottagers.

Premier League football will allow some of Fulham's stars the chance to play against the elite, and will also offer Jokanovic an opportunity to show what a promising young manager he is.

Of course, should promotion be achieved later today, planning for the Premier League is almost certainly going to begin in the coming weeks.

There will be members of Fulham's squad sacrificed if promotion is achieved, with Jokanovic sure to be busy over the summer.

With that in mind, here is a look at THREE players who could be moved on if Fulham secure Premier League football...

Rui Fonte

Fonte hasn't been prolific enough in the Championship, with Fulham reliant on Aleksandar Mitrovic's goals to guide them to the brink of promotion.

The striker has some classy attributes, but Fulham would need to significantly bolster their strikeforce in the top-flight.

Fonte's departure could pave the way for arrivals.

Cyrus Christie

Christie was brought in as back-up to Ryan Fredericks, with his opportunities at Craven Cottage limited so far.

Where Fredericks is playing his football next season is a mystery, but if the right-back commits to Fulham, Christie's chance will seem a million miles away.

He could be on his way out if Fredericks stays.

Oliver Norwood

Norwood has found himself competing for a place in midfield, which is arguably Fulham's strongest area.

If Fulham are preparing for Premier League football, Norwood's chance of a permanent deal will seem unlikely.

Brighton didn't deem him good enough for the top-flight, and it will be interesting to see whether Fulham think the same of their loanee.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/3-fulham-players-who-could-be-axed-if-premier-league-football-is-achieved/

WhiteJC

There's only one team I want to do it on Saturday. For all that is good in football.

For us Brentford fans, the season is over. A fourth top ten finish in the Championship, our last significant action of the campaign (aside from beating the Loftus Road mob, again) was Neal Maupay's magnificent 94th minute equaliser at The Cottage in mid-April. Those two points denied Fulham have ended up being the difference between their attaining automatic promotion to the Premier League and now finding themselves in a play-off final against Aston Villa. That game is today. Saturday.

But actually, I'm not as into it as perhaps I normally would be. This is nothing to do with excitement about the chance to play Liverpool bingo later in the Champion's League final. More with the participants and what I've seen on social media this week.

From a purely footballing perspective, there isn't much in who I'd prefer to be Championship opponents next season. Statistically speaking, Fulham have been more than generous opponents to Brentford over the last few seasons. From Jota in the last minute, through that 4-1 humping administered by the river right up to four more points this campaign. A game against Birmingham City aside, there's no surer opportunity for The Bees to climb the table than  playing the Cottagers.

Equally though, our Championship record against Aston Villa has produced 2 draws and 2 wins for Brentford. The Villans have only put the ball past Daniel Bentley twice in those four games as we've pocketed a very handy eight points. We've absolutely played them off the field in both games at Griffin Park whilst given them all manner of headaches up in the Midlands

Villa do have that rich history. They won the European Cup once. Something they go on about almost as much as  West Ham mention their 1966 World Cup win and the FA Cup in 1980. It was Trevor Brooking in the penalty box with a header. Apparently. If only somebody had said.  They have that magnificent stadium and a healthy following of passionate fans. Whilst the likes of Simon Hateley may push it to the extremes of lunacy, it is all about the football.

There are no gin bars.

No clappers.

No half and half scarfs.

No foam fingers.

No statues of Michael Jackson.

Definitely no neutral stand.

No run out music for the warm up.

No song sheets needed.

No advice on taking bottles of water into the ground.

Ah, Fulham. If hipsters did football. Or tried to. That's not to say I have any particular affinity toward Villa. I support Brentford, end of. There's no cheering for two clubs here. I'm still intrigued by what would have happened had West Ham gone down this season or we gone up. There are more than a few amongst our ranks who have an affinity towards the Hammers. Certainly, if the pictorial evidence is to be believed.

Villa do have the Scott Hogan factor aswell. One can only presume / hope, there was a top flight clause built into his move whilst if for no other reason it's always great to see our old boys doing well. Unless they play for Birmingham City. I still haven't forgiven Harlee Dean for those comments. Likewise, it also helps guide any potential investment decision.

Looking at my online bookmaker this morning (purely for research purposes) Scott is 6/1 to grab the opening goal whilst another former Bee in Lewis Grabban – what must he be worth these days  – is 11/2.

Put simply, the heart says there is no way I could ever wish Fulham well. I have Villa supporting friends aswell. As such, they have to be the team I'd prefer to go up.

Or do they?

Something described by one Twitter correspondent as 'twatful' started to do the rounds late this week. An interview given by Steve Bruce about everybody's favourite pantomime villain, John Terry. This, the same John Terry who orchestrated his own 26th minute substitution and guard of honour in his final game at Chelsea. Yet just when it couldn't get worse, it does.

His manager has been quoted as saying that should Villa make it to the top flight and Terry play on, he'll let him miss the games against his former club.

Seriously? Will he be lifting the play off trophy in his full Chelsea kit, too?  I could get on the moral high horse now about it being a huge slap in the face to those people who pay his wages and support Aston Villa. A terrible example to those young children who wear his shirt and cheer him on but that's been long done to death already.

Is it enough to swing me towards Fulham though? No chance. Especially when you see something like this......

They can take those clappers and shove them where the sun don't shine. Not that they did any good on 14th April. As noted on these pages at the time, The Cottager's dependency on those dreaded paper fans to try and generate an atmosphere had been an embarrassment. A repugnant creation and terrible indictment of a club allegedly chasing promotion that they are needed for a game of this magnitude. For any game. Then again, the use of 'run out' music for the warm up showed the level of desperation /  atmosphere building that was required at the Cottage. Cringeworthy. What next, a Mexican wave?

Whilst I won't be cheering on the Villa to win, I'll certainly be celebrating if Fulham lose. Bring on those six points for Brentford in 2018/19.

Nick Bruzon

https://nickbruzonslastword.wordpress.com/2018/05/26/theres-only-one-team-i-want-to-do-it-on-saturday-for-all-that-is-good-in-football/

WhiteJC

Aston Villa facing financial crisis if Fulham win play-off final

Aston Villa are facing a nightmare financial situation if Fulham beat them in the Championship play-off final at Wembley on Saturday, according to the Telegraph.

The newspaper claims that the Villains would have to scrap deals to sign Robert Snodgrass, Sam Johnstone and Lewis Grabban on a permanent basis if they miss out on promotion back to the Premier League while the star trio of Jack Grealish, James Chester and Jonathan Kodjia may end up exiting the West Midlands club with their futures' plunged into doubt.

It is understood that Villa may even have to sell their training ground due to the major pressure to avoid breaking Financial Fair Play regulations, that could possibly see them hit with a transfer embargo.

OPINION

Villa are now paying the price for what was a ridiculous first transfer window in the Championship. Tony Xia showed that he clearly had no clue what he was spending his money on when he let Roberto di Matteo splash major cash on the likes of Ross McCormack, Aaron Tshibola, Tommy Elphick and Pierluigi Gollini. All this while the club only really made any decent money off selling Idrissa Gueye and Ciaran Clark. Villa were so desperate to go back up that they played a major risk with Financial Fair Play and that will definitely come back to bite them if they lose at Wembley. Fulham are understandably the favourites and it would be an absolute disaster for the club if they were to lose. Steve Bruce has done a great job at Villa Park, but he may not want to stick around and deal with the mess if they miss out on promotion.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2018/05/blogs/championship/aston-villa/aston-villa-facing-financial-crisis-if-fulham-win-play-off-final/

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic calls on classy Cottagers to go up in style

Derby County's conquerors take on Aston Villa in the Championship play-off final at Wembley

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic believes playing the "best football in the Championship" could give his side the edge in today's play-off final.

The Cottagers face Aston Villa in the Wembley showpiece (5pm), hoping to end a four-year absence from the Premier League.

They have won plaudits for their attractive style of football, which made them the best team in the division since the turn of the year.

They went 23 games unbeaten - half of the regular season - and only missed out on automatic promotion with defeat on the final day.

After overcoming Derby County in the semi-final they have another chance to finish the job, with Jokanovic hoping their form can see them through.

"At the start of the season if someone bet on Villa against Fulham, people would bet on Villa," he said.

"After the last few months where we showed we can play better and the best football in the Championship we can be favourites but everything is history and the past.

"Now is not important who is favourite and who is not, we will see on the end."

While Fulham may have the edge on form and momentum - they finished five points ahead of Villa over the season - Steve Bruce's side win it on experience.

No manager has won more promotions to the Premier League than Bruce's four, while their side is full of players who have been there and done it in the game, with the likes of John Terry, Alan Hutton, James Chester and Robert Snodgrass.

But Jokanovic says that because their opponents have so much experience in the bag, it means they are no longer at their peak.

"It's not important," he said. "Where we are talking about experience, where we are talking about the past, there are many important players who played in this stadium before and now they cannot offer their best performance.

"John Terry is a fantastic player, Chester is fantastic, they have experience in this stadium but probably they cannot be in their best level right now.

"My team is ready and prepared, we know what we will do with or without the ball and this is why I am really encouraged.

"I am not under any negative pressure, this is a great afternoon ahead of us and I want to be successful, I will push people around me to make a great job and look for our best performance and do everything to win the game."

Bruce, meanwhile, is proud of the way he has helped revitalise Villa both on and off the pitch and hopes to complete the turnaround with promotion back to the Premier League.

He inherited a mess following Villa's relegation at the end of the 2015-16 season and he was taken aback by the culture at the club, while the relationship between the players and supporters had turned toxic following an embarrassing campaign.

But the 57-year-old has helped to repair the bond with the fans since replacing Roberto Di Matteo in October 2016 and Villa stand on the brink of returning to the top flight.

While victory over Fulham would represent Bruce's biggest success at Villa, he counts getting the club back on track as his best achievement.

"Let's be fair, Aston Villa went down with a whimper. There was no association with the players anymore, it had broken," said Bruce.

"I remember speaking to the technical director at the first game against Wolves and thought oh, oh, wow! Of course the culture of the club at the time was... I mean, we hadn't won away from home for 18 months. Some of the stats were just absolutely ridiculous.

"My initial thought, and (technical director) Steve Round agreed with me, was, 'we've got to stop the rot here and just keep the club in the Championship', would you believe.

"That's how low I thought it had got.

"That is why I went down the route of bringing in the likes of (Glenn) Whelan and (Ahmed) Elmohamady, John Terry of course, (Mile) Jedinak - all people who can handle playing for Aston Villa.

"A lot of work has gone in in 18 months. We've worked tirelessly and changed the squad round hugely and thankfully with winning a few games it's certainly starting to mend with the supporters.

"It certainly wasn't there when I arrived 19 months ago. There were certainly times when they wanted to rip my head off and rip the head off the players. But now, I do believe they have enjoyed seeing what we have got at the moment."

Win or lose at Wembley, Bruce is aware that another period of upheaval probably awaits as regards his playing squad.

Loan players Sam Johnstone, Axel Tuanzebe, Robert Snodgrass, Josh Onomah and Lewis Grabban will return to their parent clubs while Terry's future looks like it is dependant on Saturday's result and Jack Grealish is already the subject of speculation.

"I am sure it will be totally different. The five loan signings for a start, I don't think we will be able to get them back," said Bruce, who had joked he would be willing to allow Terry to miss both games against his former club Chelsea, should Villa win promotion, to help facilitate any extended deal.

"When it comes, then we will have to start all over again, dust ourselves down and get ready. I am sure it will change, it will have to."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-aston-villa-playoff-final-1609839

WhiteJC

Jokanovic wants to emulate Arsene Wenger as Fulham prepare to take on Aston Villa

Jokanovic has been linked with the Chelsea job but he wants to focus on completing the project of promotion to the Premier League with Fulham

Slavisa Jokanovic doesn't want getting Fulham into the Premier League to represent finished business, insisting he wants a career like former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger.

The Whites play-off final with Aston Villa at Wembley this afternoon is the next step in a two-and-a-half year project that has seen the head coach take the side from relegation candidates to one of the best teams in the division.

If Fulham were to beat Villa and gain promotion to the Premier League, it would be the second time that Jokanovic has got a side promoted to the top tier in 2015.

He never got the chance to manage the Hornets there after he was replaced that summer and there are rumours surrounding his future this time around too, with links to the Chelsea job emerging their head once more.

(Image: Victoria Jones/PA Wire)

However, Jokanovic wants to finish his project of getting Fulham back to where they belong, insisting he has far more of a connection with the Whites than he did with Watford having spent just under two years longer at the helm.

While some might see managing in the Premier League as unfinished business, Jokanovic sees it as the next step in his career - one he hopes will be as long as Wenger's.

He said: "I want to finish the business like Arsene Wenger, if I am lucky.

"I am still a young man and I am not thinking about any business soon, I expect I will work 20 years more and I was successful with Watford in the Championship but didn't have opportunity to work in the Premier League for different reasons.

"This is part of the past and I am not thinking of Watford or any situation behind me, only what is important is the present and immediately what I have under my control.

"I have the contract and that's it, it's simple.

"I am not thinking about future, this game is so huge and massive, I don't know what I'll do Sunday morning to be honest, only what is important is game immediately in front of us.

"At the end, I am two-and-a-half-years, when I arrive I arrive with a challenge of fighting a relegation battle.

"We start with the problem, we didn't know exactly how to to help this team and after this first few months and with new season for the club we changed the direction and bring different people and we start to improve ourselves.

"Now, we are in the chance of crossing this line and be Premier League team.

"Some months and years are behind us, we show clear improvement and we want to fight to bring Fulham to place where we believe they belong.

"Now we have this chance, all of us are excited and all of us want to show our best level this day.

"We know it's important to cross this line, and you know it is in the life of football, you are successful, feeling is great, you are less successful, feeling is not so well.

"I am here two-and-a-half years, I was coaching Watford only ten months or something, I have more connection with this club than Watford.

"This is memories, they are behind of me, I was really happy there and now I must continue my life and push myself and people around me to be successful."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/jokanovic-wants-emulate-arsene-wenger-14706523

EastEndWhite

Quote from: WhiteJC on May 26, 2018, 08:23:46 AM

There's only one team I want to do it on Saturday. For all that is good in football.

For us Brentford fans, the season is over. A fourth top ten finish in the Championship, our last significant action of the campaign (aside from beating the Loftus Road mob, again) was Neal Maupay's magnificent 94th minute equaliser at The Cottage in mid-April. Those two points denied Fulham have ended up being the difference between their attaining automatic promotion to the Premier League and now finding themselves in a play-off final against Aston Villa. That game is today. Saturday.

But actually, I'm not as into it as perhaps I normally would be. This is nothing to do with excitement about the chance to play Liverpool bingo later in the Champion's League final. More with the participants and what I've seen on social media this week.

From a purely footballing perspective, there isn't much in who I'd prefer to be Championship opponents next season. Statistically speaking, Fulham have been more than generous opponents to Brentford over the last few seasons. From Jota in the last minute, through that 4-1 humping administered by the river right up to four more points this campaign. A game against Birmingham City aside, there's no surer opportunity for The Bees to climb the table than  playing the Cottagers.

Equally though, our Championship record against Aston Villa has produced 2 draws and 2 wins for Brentford. The Villans have only put the ball past Daniel Bentley twice in those four games as we've pocketed a very handy eight points. We've absolutely played them off the field in both games at Griffin Park whilst given them all manner of headaches up in the Midlands

Villa do have that rich history. They won the European Cup once. Something they go on about almost as much as  West Ham mention their 1966 World Cup win and the FA Cup in 1980. It was Trevor Brooking in the penalty box with a header. Apparently. If only somebody had said.  They have that magnificent stadium and a healthy following of passionate fans. Whilst the likes of Simon Hateley may push it to the extremes of lunacy, it is all about the football.

There are no gin bars.

No clappers.

No half and half scarfs.

No foam fingers.

No statues of Michael Jackson.

Definitely no neutral stand.

No run out music for the warm up.

No song sheets needed.

No advice on taking bottles of water into the ground.

Ah, Fulham. If hipsters did football. Or tried to. That's not to say I have any particular affinity toward Villa. I support Brentford, end of. There's no cheering for two clubs here. I'm still intrigued by what would have happened had West Ham gone down this season or we gone up. There are more than a few amongst our ranks who have an affinity towards the Hammers. Certainly, if the pictorial evidence is to be believed.

Villa do have the Scott Hogan factor aswell. One can only presume / hope, there was a top flight clause built into his move whilst if for no other reason it's always great to see our old boys doing well. Unless they play for Birmingham City. I still haven't forgiven Harlee Dean for those comments. Likewise, it also helps guide any potential investment decision.

Looking at my online bookmaker this morning (purely for research purposes) Scott is 6/1 to grab the opening goal whilst another former Bee in Lewis Grabban – what must he be worth these days  – is 11/2.

Put simply, the heart says there is no way I could ever wish Fulham well. I have Villa supporting friends aswell. As such, they have to be the team I'd prefer to go up.

Or do they?

Something described by one Twitter correspondent as 'twatful' started to do the rounds late this week. An interview given by Steve Bruce about everybody's favourite pantomime villain, John Terry. This, the same John Terry who orchestrated his own 26th minute substitution and guard of honour in his final game at Chelsea. Yet just when it couldn't get worse, it does.

His manager has been quoted as saying that should Villa make it to the top flight and Terry play on, he'll let him miss the games against his former club.

Seriously? Will he be lifting the play off trophy in his full Chelsea kit, too?  I could get on the moral high horse now about it being a huge slap in the face to those people who pay his wages and support Aston Villa. A terrible example to those young children who wear his shirt and cheer him on but that's been long done to death already.

Is it enough to swing me towards Fulham though? No chance. Especially when you see something like this......

They can take those clappers and shove them where the sun don't shine. Not that they did any good on 14th April. As noted on these pages at the time, The Cottager's dependency on those dreaded paper fans to try and generate an atmosphere had been an embarrassment. A repugnant creation and terrible indictment of a club allegedly chasing promotion that they are needed for a game of this magnitude. For any game. Then again, the use of 'run out' music for the warm up showed the level of desperation /  atmosphere building that was required at the Cottage. Cringeworthy. What next, a Mexican wave?

Whilst I won't be cheering on the Villa to win, I'll certainly be celebrating if Fulham lose. Bring on those six points for Brentford in 2018/19.

Nick Bruzon

https://nickbruzonslastword.wordpress.com/2018/05/26/theres-only-one-team-i-want-to-do-it-on-saturday-for-all-that-is-good-in-football/

Someone has a serious inferiority complex

WhiteJC

Aston Villa team news: Important man 50-50 for Fulham clash, duo out

Aston Villa are preparing for their biggest match of the season when they meet Fulham at Wembley Stadium on Saturday and could be without one of their key men for the tie, according to a report on the club's official website.

The Villans will be looking to emerge victorious as they attempt to make a return back to the Premier League and Steve Bruce's side will be heading into the fixture with a degree of confidence.

The Villa Park outfit managed to shut out Middlesbrough in the previous round, and will be hoping they can keep Fulham at bay for 90 minutes.

However, they could be without Ahmed Elmohamady for the trip to the national stadium, as he continues to be in a race against time.

The Egypt international suffered a hamstring injury during the dying moments of the Play-Off first-leg against Boro and has been on the sidelines ever since.

Bruce has admitted that the experienced full-back has recovered quicker than expected, although has revealed he will not make a decision on whether he will be involved until as late as possible.

Should Elmohamaday not be declared fit, then the Villans could be prepared to turn to James Bree, who deputised during the second-leg, or switch Alan Hutton onto the right and use Neil Taylor on the left instead.

Villa will also be without Axel Tuanzebe and Jed Steer as both remain unavailable for the massive fixture, however, Bruce has also stated that he has no other concerns and will be able to choose from an almost fully fit squad.

https://ninetyminutesonline.com/aston-villa-team-news-star-man-in-race-to-be-fit-for-play-off-final/