News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How many countries get a "bye" in 2026 World Cup?

Started by Forever Fulham, June 19, 2018, 01:27:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Fulham

Three countries to host the Cup in 2026: U.S., Mexico, and Canada.  Traditionally, the host country gets a bye, doesn't have to qualify to play.  But it would seem wrong to me to award byes to all three host countries in 2026.  Did they come up with a special rule for that Cup, since three countries will be hosting?  That's a big chunk of CONCACAF!     

YankeeJim

Good question. If all three get a bye, doesn't that mean that other CONCACAF teams are automatically eliminated. Either that or CONCACAF gets six places. I think not.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

revengeanceful

From what I recall, they haven't decided on what the qualification rules will be for the 2026 World Cup since it will be the first one hosted by three nations and (probably) the first one with 48 teams.

YankeeJim

Even if they go to 48 teams, CONCACAF doesn't deserve 6 places. It'll be interesting to see what those pillars of integrity at FIFA do. Love to see Bahamas paired up with Brazil. LOL

BTW, welcome revengeanceful. You planning on going after Trinidad or Bruce Arena for your revenge?  :003:

revengeanceful

Thanks!  Always Arena, he's completely blown through all goodwill he built up in the 2002 WC with all the garbage he's done and said since then.

YankeeJim

Quote from: revengeanceful on July 26, 2018, 01:57:39 PM
Thanks!  Always Arena, he's completely blown through all goodwill he built up in the 2002 WC with all the garbage he's done and said since then.

Amen to that. Wonder how far the 2002 team would have gotten with a good coach?