more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (28/05/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 28, 2018, 07:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Former Watford boss Slavisa Jokanovic leads Fulham into Premier League

A delighted Slavisa Jokanovic celebrates promotion to the Premier League. Picture: Action Images

Slavisa Jokanovic recognises Fulham will have to invest in their team to ensure survival after winning promotion to the Premier League.

A 1-0 victory over Aston Villa in the Championship play-off final secured their return to the English top flight after an absence of four years.

The consistently entertaining football they have played since the Serbian's appointment in 2015 has attracted many admirers and was again on display at Wembley, particularly when Ryan Sessegnon created Tom Cairney's first-half goal, but at a higher level it could yet leave them vulnerable.

If the future of the man who led Watford into the top flight had also been the subject of speculation, Fulham's promotion makes him significantly likelier to remain as manager.

The on-loan Aleksandar Mitrovic and Matt Targett similarly did much to inspire his team's improvement following their arrivals in January and the 49-year-old said: "I personally must be satisfied. This is our project, this Fulham is my club, my staff. We needed two and a half years.

"We must adapt ourselves; we know what is ahead of us. The Premier League is the most competitive league and we must be clever.

"That (January) transfer window was successful and gave an important push for the team. We must show ambition to be a Premier League team, show ambition with (transfer) money too.

"We believe we can play this way, but we must know what characters and what players we need. We must try and dominate against teams we believe we can dominate."

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/watfordfc/watfordfcnews/16252809.Jokanovic___We_must_be_clever_/

WhiteJC

Ryan Fredericks hints at Fulham stay amid interest from West Ham and Crystal Palace

On the up | Fredericks says Fulham can 'achieve a lot' after securing promotion to the Premier League (Ian Kington/AFP/Getty Images)

Fulham defender Ryan Fredericks has given a clear indication of his intention to remain at Craven Cottage after his side secured promotion to the Premier League.

The 25-year-old's contract expires at the end of the season, with both Crystal Palace and West Ham closely monitoring his future.

That was largely tied to whether Slavisa Jokanovic's side could secure promotion, which they did with a 1-0 win over Aston Villa at Wembley on Saturday. Fredericks was not the only player attracting top flight interest - Tom Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon are widely admired - but he expects them and him to be at the club next season.

"It's up to the people behind the scenes but I'm sure everyone will want to stay and play at the highest level with Fulham and see what we can achieve," Fredericks said.

"Can this club allow me to fulfil my ambitions? Of course. You look at the players we're attracting, like Aleksandar Mitrovic, we've already got Premier League players in the Championship so I'm sure we're going to build again and have many years in the Premier League.

Fredericks added: "We can achieve a lot. We're not just going to go there and be one-season wonder. We want to keep the club in the Premier League as long as possible. It's a Premier League team.

"We didn't want to come out here and have a good day at Wembley. We wanted to come out and show what we're about. That's what we did. We did ourselves proud."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/ryan-fredericks-hints-at-fulham-stay-amid-interest-from-west-ham-and-crystal-palace-a3849191.html

WhiteJC

The better team won at Wembley as Jack Grealish carried Aston Villa - the play-off final talking points

AVFC reporter Gregg Evans was at Wembley - here's what he learned

Fulham sneaked past Aston Villa to win the final promotion place back to the Premier League.

Gregg Evans was at Wembley. Here are his findings:

YOUNG vs OLD
Slavisa Jokanovic claimed that Villa looked like an 'old and tired' team before the game.

And let's be honest, he got it spot on, didn't he?

This game looked like one too many for Villa, certainly in the first half anyway when Fulham played the claret and blues off the pitch.

John Terry and Alan Hutton looked laboured and were cut apart for the first goal.

And up front Albert Adomah, Robert Snodgrass and Lewis Grabban were sluggish and unable to get going.

Fulham were the complete opposite. Fit, fresh and fired-up.

They had young legs in Ryan Sessegnon and Aleksandar Mitrovic and players in the peak of their career like match winner Tom Cairney, and right-back Ryan Fredericks who flourished.

THE BETTER TEAM WON
Fulham deserved this win. They were the better team, played the better football and converted their chance when they needed to.

Fair play to Jokanovic who has moulded a fine young team and stuck to his philosophy.

Fulham have had some knock-backs, too, remember.

They lost in the play-offs last season and bottled it against Birmingham City on the final day of the 46-game season to surrender second place to Cardiff City.

But they were impressive on the big day here at Wembley.

They passed it quickly from the back, dictated the tempo in the middle of the park, and used their flying wing-backs to good effect.

All over the pitch they were just too good for Villa.

Even centre-half Tim Ream put in an assured performance despite being highlighted as one of the so-called 'weak links' prior to the game.

FIRST HALF REGRETS
Villa were awful in the first-half and at the interval they needed a serious talking-to from Bruce.

Whatever he said in the dressing room worked because Villa actually put up a fight after the break.

But the damage had already been done.

Recovering from a goal down against a team who were set up to hit Villa on the counter-attack after the break was just too much of an ask.

There wasn't enough quality around Jack Grealish and Villa relied too heavily on him.

GREALISH CARRIED VILLA
One man I felt so sorry for in defeat was Grealish.

Could he have done any more to make a difference?

Okay, so he could have tucked away Albert Adomah's cross early in the second half rather than 'shouldering' it over the crossbar.

And had he found a finishing touch to an incredible weaving run soon after - even though his subsequent shot was deflected allowing Marcus Bettinelli to save - things might have been different.

But let's be honest, Grealish carried Villa for long periods in this game.

He was the only real attacking threat at times and everything good that Villa produced came through him.

To think, he's just 22-years-old and he's leading a team like that.

Imagine what he would be like with some real quality alongside him?

Maybe we will see next season because he's going to be the subject of transfer speculation all summer now.

Winning promotion with Villa would have meant the world to him. He wanted it more than ever.

Just look at the way he dropped to his knees and the despair on his face at the final whistle.

There's a very likely chance that it will be his last Villa game and wouldn't that be a shame to leave on such a sour note.

Grealish loves Aston Villa but he will need to think carefully about his career ambitions this summer because he's simply too good to be playing in the Championship again next term.

THE MAN IN THE MIDDLE
Referee Anthony Taylor won't be on Bruce's Christmas card list next year that's for sure.

Not only did he miss Fredericks' disgusting stamp on Grealish in the first-half, he also failed to give Villa any of their two penalty appeals.

The first was when Denis Odoi - who was sent off for two yellow cards soon after - appeared to handle Grealish's effort in the area. I've certainly seen them given.

Then in the last minute, Matt Targett bundled Grealish over in the area but Taylor was having none of it.

Did he bottle it or was it the correct decision?

Villa fans certainly felt he got the big calls wrong, and so did Bruce.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/better-team-won-wembley-jack-14711846

WhiteJC

After being close to joining Tottenham, Frenchman now 'arousing interest' of Fulham

It's wasn't a bad Saturday for Fulham. Promotion to the Premier League at the expense of Aston Villa was much deserved and now they need to start planning for at least one season in the top tier of English football.

One of the Championship sides who scouted in Europe the most, Fulham will already have a list of targets ready to go for, compiled depending on which league they found themselves in next season.

L'Equipe believe that one of the targets, and one who may have been suitable for either Championship or Premier League, is Lamine Fonda. The French newspaper report the 20 year old has previously come close to signing for Tottenham.

Before signing his first professional contract with Auxerre, Fonda was the subject of a serious approach from Spurs and nearly signed for Mauricio Pochettino's men.

Deciding to continue with Auxerre at that time, a change could be on the cards this summer, and L'Equipe say the midfielder has 'aroused the interest' of Fulham.

There's no slant on whether Tottenham will come back in for him.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/close-joining-tottenham-frenchman-now-arousing-interest-fulham/

WhiteJC

"You are a Fulham legend" – Fans heap praise on star man following promotion to the Premier League

Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney scored the only goal in the play-off final to guide his side back to the Premier League.

After several years in the Championship, the Cottagers are finally back in the top flight and they have captain Cairney to thank for sending them there via the play-offs.

Fulham missed out on automatic promotion on the final day of the season and they trailed Derby County after one leg of the play-off semi-finals.

But they have bounced back and they beat Aston Villa at Wembley thanks to Cairney's cool finish in the first-half.

The Scotland international has been excellent for the past few years and has been linked with a Premier League move in the past but he is finally getting his chance on the big stage after promotion was secured.

Here are the best tweets about Cairney after his goal sent Fulham back to the top flight.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/you-are-a-fulham-legend-fans-heap-praise-on-star-man-following-promotion-to-the-premier-league/

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic hints at Fulham stay after return to Premier League

Aleksandar Mitrovic says he is 'really happy' at Fulham

Aleksandar Mitrovic has hinted that his future may lie at Fulham after helping them return to the Premier League after a four-year absence.

The Serbian striker started for Fulham in the play-off final against Aston Villa at Wembley on Saturday, which Fulham won 1-0 to join Wolves and Cardiff in the top flight next season.

Mitrovic joined Fulham on loan from Newcastle in January and was a key player in their push for promotion, scoring 12 goals in 20 games for the Cottagers.

Mitrovic played all 90 minutes of Fulham's 1-0 win over Aston Villa in the play-off final at Wembley yesterday

Asked whether he saw himself remaining at Craven Cottage next season, Mitrovic said: "I don't know. Of course I am really happy here. I had the best three and a half, four months of my career.

"We will see what happens. I am still a Newcastle United player, I have two years left on my contract, so we will see.

"I want to enjoy now. I have one day to rest and then I have to work hard, and I will focus on that.

"I have people - my agent and people who speak with the clubs - and we will see what happens. I just want to enjoy the moment. I am really happy now."

Fulham have received plaudits for their attractive style of play in the Championship under Slavisa Jokanovic this campaign, and Mitrovic believes it will stand them in good stead in the Premier League.

"Of course Fulham will be successful in the Premier League for sure", insisted Mitrovic.

"I am delighted with the style we play, the players, with the staff. Every part.

"The fans really help a lot and I think I play some of the best football in my life, the last four months, and I really enjoyed it."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11386959/aleksandar-mitrovic-hints-at-fulham-stay-after-return-to-premier-league

WhiteJC

West Ham fans think Ryan Fredericks and Tom Cairney won't sign now

West Ham United have been linked with Ryan Fredericks and Tom Cairney.

Fulham are back in the Premier League after a four-year absence following their 1-0 play-off final win over Aston Villa on Saturday evening.

The Cottagers saw off Derby County in the semi-finals of the Championship play-offs and made the short trip to Wembley Stadium for Saturday's final, with Slavisa Jokanovic hoping to see off Villa.

The only goal of the game came in the first half, as Ryan Sessegnon's superbly-weighted through ball picked out Tom Cairney, and the midfielder swept home a fine finish to open the scoring.

The game wasn't without incident from there though; Jack Grealish was superb for Villa but could have been sent off for a rash foul on Cairney, before Denis Odoi was red-carded for a second bookable offence.

Fulham held on with 10 men though and return to the top flight, which may just boost their hopes of keeping a number of star players, including Cairney, Sessegnon and Ryan Fredericks.

Fulham were always in a strong position to charge huge fees for Cairney and Sessegnon anyway, and now even more so, but they are also now well-poised to hand a new deal to out-of-contract Fredericks this summer.

Just days before Saturday's final, the London Evening Standard reported that new West Ham boss Manuel Pellegrini is keen to land Fredericks and Cairney, but the 1-0 win over Villa may just end those hopes.

Hammers fans took to Twitter after the final whistle to suggest that West Ham now stand no chance of landing Cairney and only a slim shot at securing Fredericks, though some feel they are no great loss and that Pellegrini needs to be targeting better players this summer anyway.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/05/27/west-ham-fans-think-ryan-fredericks-and-tom-cairney-wont-sign-no/

WhiteJC

Fulham's Tom Cairney says golden goal and promotion justifies loyalty

Tom Cairney lifted the play-off trophy as Fulham captain

Tom Cairney says scoring the goal that took Fulham back to the Premier League justified his decision to reject overtures from the top-flight.

The Scotland midfielder, who captained the side to the 1-0 play-off final win over Aston Villa, was linked with West Ham United and West Bromwich Albion.

"I signed the contract extension for a reason," he told Sky Sports.

"I believe what we're doing here is special and what the gaffer's doing is special."

Nottingham-born Cairney, who began his career with Hull City, has been with Fulham since moving from Blackburn Rovers in 2015 and the latest deal he signed last summer ties him to the London club until 2021.

The 27-year-old, who has two Scotland caps, admits that "when I've been linked with a few clubs, people have been questioning what I've been doing".

But he believes that manager Slavisa Jokanovic is building a side capable of staying in the top flight.

"I've been saying for quite a while that we've been playing Premier League football in the Championship and I'm so happy that we are getting to play Premier League football in the Premier League now," he said.

"It is a dream come true. It feels incredible. It feels like an out-of-body feeling."

Fulham missed out on the play-off final last season when they lost their semi-final to Reading.

'I believe we'll really hold our own'

Tom Cairney scored the only goal of the play-off final after 23 minutes

There appeared to be a hangover into the new campaign as the Cottagers made a poor start, but Cairney thinks the secret to success this time was "sticking to our guns".

"We didn't change one thing and, as players started to get a feel and we got our squad back together, we went on a 23-game unbeaten run," he pointed out.

"In my eyes, for the last two years, we've been the best team in the league.

"Even though we didn't win the league or win automatic promotion, we honestly at times blew teams away and it is was a joy to play in.

"The way we play, people try to man-mark us, but the way we rotate and how fluid it is, it is really hard.

"I'm not stupid. I know we won't be able to do that against all teams in the Premier League, but I believe we'll really hold our own and I believe we'll stay there for a long time."

As their Scotland colleagues headed on tour to Peru and Mexico, Cairney and fellow midfielder Kevin McDonald helped engineer victory over Aston Villa at Wembley.

Cairney slotted in from a Ryan Sessegnon pass after 23 minutes before Fulham survived last pressure following Denis Odoi's red card.

"I swear, when we were defending with 10 men for 20 minutes, I just had a feeling they wouldn't score," said the Fulham captain.

"They've got some great, experienced players, but I just thought it was our time - and it was."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44271388

WhiteJC

Alexandra Mitrovic: 'I don't know what's going to happen with my future'

Newcastle United striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has revealed that he has enjoyed his loan spell at Fulham, but does not know where his future lies.

The 23-year-old has scored 12 goals for the Cottagers this season, leading the club to promotion to the Premier League.

The Serbian international's loan at Fulham has technically come to an end, but Mitrovic is not ruling out a return to the club.

"I've loved my time here and I don't know what's going to happen after. But why not stay? Maybe," Mitrovic told reporters after the play-off final on Saturday.

"I want to focus on the game on Saturday, then I have time to rest and focus on the World Cup. I needed the gametime so that's why I came here. I needed to be on the pitch, to score goals and to have the feeling that I have now.

"I needed to get confidence - especially because of the World Cup, but also because of myself. I feel good and honestly I have never been in better shape in the whole of my career."

Fulham will join Wolverhampton Wanderers and Cardiff City in the Premier League next season.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/transfer-talk/news/mitrovic-unsure-where-future-lies_326937.html

WhiteJC

Fulham striker hints he may stay at club

Fulham's Aleksandar Mitrovic has told Sky Sports that he may be staying at the club after their promotion to the Premier League.

After being frozen out at Newcastle United, he joined Fulham on loan for the rest of the season on transfer deadline day. This only ended up happening because his initial move to Bordeaux collapsed as Fulham stepped in to make the move. But this has ended up being a brilliant move for everyone involved. Mitrovic has shown some of the best form of his life at Fulham, scoring 12 goals in 20 appearances.

And it all culminated yesterday in the Sky Bet Championship play-off final. Mitrovic played as they claimed a 1-0 win over Aston Villa, sealing their return to the Premier League. But now that the season is over, Mitrovic's future is in doubt. Even with reports that Fulham wanted to sign him if they got promoted, no one is quite sure what is going to happen with him.

But Mitrovic has hinted he may be returning to Craven Cottage next season He said: "I don't know. Of course I am really happy here. I had the best three and a half, four months of my career."

"We will see what happens. I am still a Newcastle United player, I have two years left on my contract, so we will see."

"I want to enjoy now. I have one day to rest and then I have to work hard, and I will focus on that."

"I have people – my agent and people who speak with the clubs – and we will see what happens. I just want to enjoy the moment. I am really happy now."

http://the72.co.uk/103580/fulham-striker-hints-may-stay-club/

WhiteJC

Cyrus Christie says 'dreams do come true' after winning promotion to the Premier League

Former Derby County defender helped Fulham see off Aston Villa in the Championship play-off final at Wembley

Former Derby County defender Cyrus Christie says "dreams do come true" after winning promotion to the Premier League with Fulham.

Christie came on as an 83rd-minute substitute as Fulham beat Aston Villa 1-0 in the Championship play-off final at Wembley on Saturday.

Slavisa Jokanovic's men had beaten Derby in the semi-final and saw off Villa thanks to Tom Cairney's goal after 23 minutes.

They survived a nervy finale after Denis Odoi was sent off for a second bookable offence.

Christie left the Rams last summer after making 119 appearances for the club.

The right-back joined Middlesbrough but his stay at the Riverside Stadium proved brief, as he was sold to Fulham in January.

His late cameo at Wembley was only his sixth appearance for the Cottagers, and fifth from the bench.

The 25-year-old Republic of Ireland took to Instagram to reflect on Fulham's achievement.

"What a day and what an occasion," said Christie. "Every boy dreams of getting to the Premier League when they start their journey.

"It's been a season of ups and downs especially off the field but to be part of promotion winning team makes all the hard work worth it.

"Thank you to all the messages from the @fulhamfc fans and fans from my previous clubs I appreciate the love.

"Dreams do come true. We ARE GOING UP #FulForce #COYW."

Fulham head coach Jokanovic has called on the club to "show ambition" in the transfer market over the summer.

"I personally must be satisfied," he said. "This is our project, this Fulham is my club, my staff. We needed two and a half years.

"We must adapt ourselves; we know what is ahead of us. The Premier League is the most competitive league and we must be clever.

"That (January) transfer window was successful and gave an important push for the team. We must show ambition to be a Premier League team, show ambition with (transfer) money too.

"We believe we can play this way, but we must know what characters and what players we need. We must try and dominate against teams we believe we can dominate."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cyrus-christie-fulham-derby-middlesbrough-1613186

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic quizzed on future after Fulham adventure

Aleksandar Mitrovic on his future: "Of course I am really happy here...I have had the best three and a half, four months of my career."

It has been some 16 weeks for Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Since arriving on loan at Fulham, the striker has played 20 times, with 15 wins, three draws and only two defeats, scoring 12 times and helping the West London club into the Premier League.

This followed only 11 league starts in the previous 21 months and only five goals.

No wonder the Serbian forward says: 'I'm so tired right now, like never in my life, I swear. I can't feel my legs.'

Unless Newcastle fans experience the disaster that would be Rafa Benitez leaving this summer, the striker clearly hasn't got a future at St James Park.

After winning promotion at Wembley and Fulham heading to the top tier, Mitro was asked about his own future.

He claims 'I just want to enjoy the moment' but the Newcastle striker must have a strong idea of what he wants to do now.

With Mike Ashley having priced him out of a move in the past, it remains to be seen just what price tag the NUFC owner will attach now, never mind if he does well in the World Cup this summer.

"I'm so tired right now, like never in my life, I swear. I can't feel my legs.

Aleksandar Mitrovic:

"Unbelievable, a dream come true. We have brought this club back to where it should be and we're very proud.

"I'm so tired right now, like never in my life, I swear. I can't feel my legs.

"I don't know (whether I will still be at Fulham next season).

"Of course I am really happy here...I have had the best three and a half, four months of my career.

"We will see what happens. I am still a Newcastle United player.

"I have two years left on my contract, so we will see.

"I want to enjoy now – I have one day to rest and then I have to work hard, and I will focus on that.

"I have people – my agent and people who speak with the clubs – and we will see what happens. I just want to enjoy the moment. I am really happy now.

"Of course Fulham will be successful in the Premier League for sure.

"I am delighted with the style we play, the players, with the staff. Every part.

"The fans really help a lot and I think I played some of the best football in my life, the last four months, and I really enjoyed it.

"Now I want to enjoy this today and tomorrow start preparing for the World Cup."

https://www.themag.co.uk/2018/05/aleksandar-mitrovic-quizzed-future-fulham-adventure-newcastle-united/

WhiteJC

'We can do great things' - ex Middlesbrough man backs Fulham to excel in the Premier League

The full-back only moved to Craven Cottage in January but said the move has been more than worthwhile.

Cyrus Christie has backed Fulham to prosper next season after booking their place in the Premier League.

The full-back moved to west London in January after just six months with Middlesbrough, and despite failing oust Ryan Fredericks from the right-back slot for large spells, Christie says it's about looking at the bigger picture.

Speaking after the 1-0 victory over Aston Villa at Wembley, he said: "I've come here now and we're now in the Premier League so it's a great feeling.

"I don't think I can describe the feeling, to be honest - it's a fantastic achievement and we're all looking forward to next season.

"I'd have liked to have come and play more but I've come to a team that are playing really well and fair play to the lads, we drove each other on and it's been fantastic to get over the final hurdle.

"I think a lot of people wrote us off when we lost two on the bounce but we knew we could do it. There was talk from a lot of other camps saying we weren't going to do it because of the pressure, but we rose to the occasion.

Asked about targets for next season, Christie said: "We want to survive.

"We want to go there and play our football; we've got a great identity in how we play football and we'll have to go and stamp our identity and the way we play to carry on what we've done this season.

"If you look at the team and the age of us, we have massive potential. We can do great things - we have a great team and a great manager as well so the spirit in the team is always fantastic.

"It's time to kick on and show what we can do next season."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/we-can-great-things-ex-14712468

WhiteJC

Fulham forced to wait as they attempt to land maverick talent as marquee summer signing

The future of Fulham target Aleksandar Mitrovic is not likely be resolved until after the World Cup this summer, according to a report by The Newcastle Chronicle.

Newcastle United striker Mitrovic faces an uncertain future at St James' Park with Rafa Benitez keen to sell him for a transfer fee ranging between £15m and £20m.

Fulham are desperate to sign the Serbia international permanently and this has been made feasible after they won promotion to the Premier League.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side won 1-0 at Wembley against Aston Villa thanks to a Tom Cairney finish and Mitrovic played the full 90 minutes.

The 23-year-old has scored 12 goals in 17 starts for the West London outfit and they want him to become one of their first summer signings ahead of their Premier League campaign.

But Fulham will be forced to wait until they can wrap this deal up as Mitrovic is set to jet out to join the Serbia national team for the World Cup finals in Russia this summer.

While he is representing his country, talks about the physical centre-forward's future will be put on hold and they will be resolved after he returns from international duty.

The Verdict

There is no doubting that Mitrovic is a maverick talent who would thrive in the right environment.

Unfortunately for him, the environment is not quite right under Benitez at Newcastle but under Jokanovic at Fulham, he is really coming into his own.

This move suits all parties and he would be a marquee signing for the newly-promoted Cottagers.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-forced-to-wait-as-they-attempt-to-land-maverick-talent-as-marquee-summer-signing/

WhiteJC

Bouncing Back The Fulhamish Way

Slavisa Jokanovic has been here before, of course. Three years ago, he took Watford into the Premier League before being shuffled out of the door just a few days later as a result of the club's revolving door policy. This weekend he returned to Wembley with Fulham, steering them to a narrow win against Aston Villa which marked the club's first ever win at the national stadium and a return to the Premier League after an absence of of four years. When the full-time whistle, he celebrated in a manner completely at odds with his usual hangdog expression, but this was a win of significance for Fulham, both tangible and intangible.

To understand the importance of this win to this particular club is to delve underneath the numbers and into something more emotional. This isn't, however, to say that the cold, hard facts don't matter at all. Promotion to the Premier League will be worth in excess of £100m to Fulham next season no matter how the season plays out for the club. Should they stay up next season, it will be worth in excess of £280m to the club. We may not like it and it may run counter to what we as supporters feel from the game, but numbers this large cannot simply be dismissed as irrelevancies. They matter, especially with the club's owner, Shahid Khan, being interested in spending £900m on Wembley.

But they're not everything. For this particular football club, merely being at Wembley was a moment of great significance. Much as we might talk of the stadium's overuse in recent years, this overuse hasn't really impacted upon Fulham. Prior to yesterday afternoon, the club had only been there once before, for an FA Cup final against West Ham United in 1975. Furthermore, their play-off semi-final win against Derby County earlier this month was, despite having reached them in different divisions before in 1989, 1998 and 2017, their first ever play-off win of any shade whatsoever. As a club, Fulham have had ups and downs over the years, from the feeling that they were just about to lose their ground, which seemed to be perpetual for years until the club finally renovated it in 2004, to spells in all four divisions of the Premier and Football Leagues over the last quarter of a century.

In the build-up to yesterday afternoon's match, though, it did feel rather as though everything was teed up to disappoint them. The pitch invasion of sheer, untamed delight upon the final whistle blowing at the end of their match against Derby County a couple of weeks ago. The first trip to Wembley in more than four decades. The scale and experience of their opponents Aston Villa against their relative youth and verve. When push came to shove yesterday afternoon, however, Aston Villa's experience – their team had an average age four years greater than their opponents – counted for little. In some respects, this was a game of contrasts, of Ryan Sessegnon's youthful exuberance and brilliance against John Terry's age and experience, of the hope of a place in the Premier League against the expectation of it.

It's entirely plausible that there is a Fulham supporter deep under cover inside Aston Villa at the moment. The leaking of the news that Villa's return to the Premier League would see Terry sign a contract which would exclude him from having to play against Chelsea next season could not have been scripted any better for Fulham. The presumptuousness of the discussing contracts on the assumption of Premier League football next season – which, yes, is fundamentally unfair on Aston Villa, but the way the story was presented was the way the story was presented – and the essential John Terryness of it all seemed almost tailor made to paint Villa as something approaching the pantomime villains of the piece as we headed into the weekend.

But the pain that Aston Villa supporters will have felt since the final whistle blew at Wembley Stadium yesterday afternoon is real, and should be acknowledged. The decline of the club over the course of their last five years in the Premier League was so obvious as to be tangible. The one upside of finally down a level was supposed to be a return to some degree of winning ways, to actually winning a few football matches for once. Last season, however, was as underwhelming as things were likely to be, and a thirteenth placed finish in their first Championship season was a fair reflection upon a tepid season. This time around, Villa looked like contenders in fits and starts, but at a club of this scale it doesn't take much for hope to turn to expectation. Supporters on the whole know better than to succumb to such hubris, but a story was already being told before kick-off at Wembley yesterday afternoon, and it wasn't one that painted Aston Villa in a terribly flattering light. It was unfair on the club and its supporters, but football does prefer its narratives simple, where possible.

Even within the confines of the match itself, the story of yesterday afternoon seemed headed for a destination that at  which it didn't eventually arrive. That Fulham's goal should have come as a result of tidy interplay between Sessegnon and Tom Cairney wasn't that much of a surprise. These two players have been amongst the best in the division and had already been looking perky by the time they linked up to give their team the lead. That they should have had to withstand wave after wave of Villa pressure following this shouldn't have done either, but they held on doughtily, not least after the sending off of Dennis Odoi with twenty minutes still to play, a dismissal at the worst possible time, which pushed Fulham to play the final act of their season, after forty-six league matches and two play-off matches, a man short. But the Aston Villa goal never came.

One of the biggest criticisms of the Premier League in recent years has been how stagnant it has become, with six clubs battling it out for all thr glory while the other fourteen eke out a subsistence living, one eye permanently looking over their shoulders at the relegation trapdoor just beneath them. Perhaps will Fulham will find the glare of the spotlight too bright for them to be any different next season. But perhaps the fluidity of this year's Fulham team can shine at a higher level. Perhaps they can play with the verve that they displayed on so many occasions this season. Because, and the play-offs can tend to obscure this from view somewhat, Fulham did deserve this promotion place. Their third placed finish was thoroughly merited and they played some lovely football at times, amongst the best seen in the division this season, especially after Christmas.

For all of this, the return of Fulham to the Premier League will bring something back that has been very much the top division's loss since they went down four years ago. Craven Cottage remains possibly English football's most handsome venue, and such ideas as the neutral area inside the ground will only add to something "Fulhamish" to the Premier League next season. There is a certain irony to the fact that the team in black and white may just bring a little colour to next season's top flight, but Fulham supporters celebrating their first Wembley win and a return to the lush, green fields of the Premier League next season the opinions of others will likely not matter very much today.

Aston Villa, meanwhile, need to pick up and regroup. The disappointment will be enormous, quite possibly accompanied by the feeling that with each passing year away the Premier League feels increasingly distant. But the club has sufficient quality about its playing staff to improve still further next season, as well as a manager with experience who displayed enormous courage in working through personal matters to get the team into the play-offs for the end of the season. The calibre of the three teams coming down into the Championship from the Premier League for next season hardly seems earth-shattering, and there's no reason why Villa shouldn't be challenging near the top of the table next time around. Yesterday at Wembley, however, belonged to Fulham. Their effervescence and verve will be most welcome in the Premier League next season.

http://twohundredpercent.net/bouncing-back-fulhamish-way/

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic: 'I am really happy at Fulham'

Newcastle United striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has claimed that he has enjoyed the best spell of his entire career during his loan stint at Fulham.

Mitrovic joined Fulham on a temporary basis in January and has scored 12 goals in 20 games for the club across all competitions, playing a major role in earning promotion via the playoffs.

The 23-year-old's longer-term future remains uncertain, but he suggested that he would be open to making his switch to Craven Cottage permanent.

"I don't know (about my future). Of course I am really happy here. I had the best three-and-a-half, four months of my career. We will see what happens. I am still a Newcastle United player, I have two years left on my contract, so we will see," Mitrovic is quoted as saying by Sky Sports News.

"I want to enjoy now. I have one day to rest and then I have to work hard, and I will focus on that. I have people - my agent and people who speak with the clubs - and we will see what happens. I just want to enjoy the moment. I am really happy now.

"Of course Fulham will be successful in the Premier League for sure. I am delighted with the style we play, the players, with the staff. Every part. The fans really help a lot and I think I play some of the best football in my life, the last four months, and I really enjoyed it."

Mitrovic played the full 90 minutes at Wembley as Fulham beat Aston Villa 1-0 in the Championship playoff final yesterday.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/newcastle-united/news/mitrovic-i-am-really-happy-at-fulham_326946.html

WhiteJC

Premier League new boys preparing bid for in-demand Newcastle star

Fulham are readying a bid to sign Newcastle striker Aleksander Mitrovic on a permanent basis.

Chronicle Live report that the Cottagers want to sign the Serbian as they begin to prepare for life back in the Premier League.

Newcastle are happy to sell the player this summer but want to wait until after the World Cup.

Rafa Benitez's men are reportedly demanding between £15-£20 million for the player, a fee that is not out of the question for Fulham thanks to financial benefits that come with promotion to the top flight.

The Magpies are hoping some impressive performances from the striker for Serbia could spark a bidding war for the player.

Brighton, Wolves, Anderlecht and Marseille have all made checks on the player over the last year, but Fulham are leading the race to sign him.

Mitrovic joined Fulham on loan in January after falling out of favour at Newcastle. He appears to have found a home in Fulham, where he made a crucial impact in helping the Whites across the line in the play-offs.

https://readnewcastle.com/2018/05/27/premier-league-new-boys-preparing-bid-for-in-demand-newcastle-star/

WhiteJC

Tim Ream returns to Premier League with Fulham promotion
Ream to the top!

Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images

Fulham earned promotion to the Premier League with a 1-0 win over Aston Villa in the Championship play-off final at Wembley.

In the 23rd minute, English starlet Ryan Sessegnon played a ball in behind to Tom Cairney, who launched his club into the top division with a calmly placed shot past keeper Sam Johnstone.

Fulham returns to the Premier League after a four-year stop in the Championship.

American Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes at center back for The Cottagers. The 30-year old made 48 total appearances this season and most likely (transfer market permitting) returns to the top flight after spending six seasons in the Championship with Bolton and Fulham.

"I don't know that you can describe what the feeling is right now and the emotions, and the release of everything that's gone on this season, in the second half of the season," Ream said after the match (Sky Sports via ESPN). "There's not many better feelings than this. It's incredible. I had a taste of it what, six years ago now, and I wanted to get back ever since. It's the top of the top. Now to be back there and to get a change again to prove ourselves against some of the best in the world, there's nothing better.

This is the part of the post where I do some basic math. Ream is 30-years old and while any Premier League center back should be an automatic call-up for the U.S. national team, these are strange times without a major tournament on the horizon. He'll be 35* at the next potential World Cup (2022 is being played in the winter), and that may put him just on the precipice of being left out of future camps due to reasons beyond talent and performance.

All Ream can do is play well for Fulham, so well that it's impossible to leave him out of future national team rosters regardless of age. That is all any of us can do. Control what is in front of us and hope the rest falls into order.

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2018/5/27/17399274/tim-ream-fulham-promoted-premier-league

WhiteJC

Premier League-bound Fulham have the players, style to compete at a higher level

Back in the autumn, promotion looked not so much a distant dream as a laughable fantasy for Fulham, languishing in the lower half of the Championship with internal disagreements making anything beyond survival look like the height of optimism.

But an extraordinary unbeaten run of 23 games, stretching from December to May, took them to within a whisker of automatic promotion. And on Sunday they completed the job, beating Aston Villa 1-0 in the playoff final to return to the Premier League. So who are this Fulham team and how will they do next season?

Who's the manager?
Slavisa Jokanovic probably should have managed in the Premier League before now. The Serbian, a former Chelsea player, won promotion with Watford in 2015, before a contract disagreement saw him jettisoned in favour of Quique Sanchez Flores. His brooding touchline demeanour gives the impression of a man to whom joy doesn't come easily, but conversely the football his team plays is excellent.

This is a manager whose teams play flowing football, usually passing out from the back, but equally one with the pragmatism to realise that sometimes a more direct approach can be useful too. It is also clear, from the way they clung on with 10 men against Villa, that it is a team with granite will too.

Who's their star man?
Even with promotion secured, perhaps Fulham's biggest task in the summer transfer window will be to keep Ryan Sessegnon. He only turned 18 a couple of weeks ago, but plays with the maturity and clarity of thought that a veteran would be proud of. Sessegnon can sometimes wander through games quietly, but has a knack of suddenly arriving in the right place to score.

There have been comparisons with Gareth Bale, inevitable as he started as a left-back but became a wide attacker, but that sense of timing which allows him to be a sort of poaching winger, is oddly reminiscent to Frank Lampard. Hopefully he stays for now, but this electric youngster is destined for bigger things eventually.

Who are their other big players?
Sessegnon might be Fulham's star player, but he is arguably not the most important one. That title goes to Tom Cairney, the midfielder through whom most of their play is channelled. A No. 10 with a delightful left foot, who would almost certainly have been playing in the Premier League next season with or without Fulham. Their team is and will be built around his talents.

Perhaps the most important player in the second half of the campaign has been Aleksandar Mitrovic, providing some aggression and what Antonio Conte refers to as a "point of reference" up front for Cairney and Sessegnon. Kevin McDonald provides ballast in midfield and right-back Ryan Fredericks will also be at home in the Premier League.

How do they play?
It is usually the first thing said about Fulham that they have played the most attractive football in the Championship, but there is a good reason for that. Their passing is crisp and deliberate, not just for the sake of passing, and the pace they possess gives them a cutting edge which will be crucial in the Premier League. The question is whether that passing will be crisp and purposeful enough to cope with a higher standard of opposition.

Where will they need to strengthen?
In short, everywhere. Their squad certainly needs beefing up: in the second half of the season you could usually predict 10 of their starting XI every week, so more depth will definitely be required. Perhaps the priorities should be signing Mitrovic and Matt Targett, who spent the latter half of the campaign on loan, on permanent deals. Left-back Targett in particular would be a shrewd purchase from Southampton, as he has allowed Sessegnon to be liberated from defence to brilliant attack.

A central defender, a right winger, central midfield reinforcements and at least one striker in addition to Mitrovic, should be top of Fulham's shopping list.

How will they cope in the Premier League?
Assuming they can recreate and upgrade their flowing style of play, they should do well. Much will depend on their fitness, and keeping hold of key players over the summer. In theory the brilliant second half of the season should give Jokanovic some credit in the bank, so if they are struggling as Christmas approaches, hopefully they won't panic.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club/fulham/370/blog/post/3511226/premier-league-bound-fulham-have-the-players-style-to-compete-at-a-higher-level

WhiteJC

Ryan Fredericks drops huge hint over his Fulham future amid West Ham & Crystal Palace rumours

The right-back has impressed many of the past year in the Championship

Fulham right-back Ryan Fredericks has hinted that he could remain with the Cottagers next season after they clinched promotion to the Premier League on Saturday.

After missing out on a top-two finish on the final day of the campaign, Slavisa Jokanovic's side sealed a return to the top flight for the first time since 2014 with a 1-0 win over Aston Villa at Wembley.

Given that Fredericks' contract expires at the end of the season, many feared that he could leave the club on a free transfer had they not secured promotion.

However, despite not yet putting pen-to-paper on a new deal, it looks like the 25-year-old may be set to stay with Fulham despite interest from West Ham and Crystal Palace.

"It's up to the people behind the scenes but I'm sure everyone will want to stay and play at the highest level with Fulham and see what we can achieve," said Fredericks, as reported by the London Evening Standard.

Ryan Fredericks celebrates on the pitch after the play-off final win over Aston Villa (Image: IAN KINGTON/AFP/Getty Images)

"Can this club allow me to fulfil my ambitions? Of course. You look at the players we're attracting, like Aleksandar Mitrovic, we've already got Premier League players in the Championship so I'm sure we're going to build again and have many years in the Premier League."

He added: "We can achieve a lot. We're not just going to go there and be one-season wonder. We want to keep the club in the Premier League as long as possible. It's a Premier League team.

"We didn't want to come out here and have a good day at Wembley. We wanted to come out and show what we're about. That's what we did. We did ourselves proud."

https://www.football.london/west-ham-united-fc/transfer-news/fredericks-west-ham-summer-transfers-14712771