watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Betts for England

Started by aaronmcguigan, May 28, 2018, 07:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaronmcguigan

Ok ok I'm not saying now, but a season for even a few months in the top league will get him noticed. Almost all the top flight first choice keepers and even second choice have been thrown about for a call up, from Burnleys two, to Hart, Southamptons two, even Butland in a relegation season.
The quality at the top just isn't there , could Betts who is still improving, stay on that upward curve and end up in an England squad if we go on a run of good form?

I reckon so anyway, he's got a determination about him where he's battled back from injuries and being overlooked to keep battling away and nailing the number one shirt.
Would also hope he isn't usurped by a "big name " signing like Joe Hart / Ben foster type signing or someone . Hopefully he is our number one unless we freakishly make a Van der Sar  signing.

ChesterTheTabby

If Betts keeps going on his current trajectory, he and Sess will feature in an England team together!
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

filham

Betts has had a great season , the next step is to do well in the Premiership, don't push him any further just yet.

cmg

It's certainly much easier to get noticed if you are playing in the PL.
Whether Betts is good enough is another matter.
Southgate picked him once for the u21s. He kept a clean sheet in a 1-0 win against a Czech Rep side captained by Tomas Kalas.

fulhamben

Quote from: cmg on May 28, 2018, 07:45:47 PM
Southgate picked him once for the u21s. He kept a clean sheet in a 1-0 win against a Czech Rep side captained by Tomas Kalas.
I really don't see a lot of difference between Betts and the 3 Southgate has picked. Who knows, a great start to the season and he may just make the euro qualifying squads
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I recently read that Southgate or one of his staff has said that Betts needs to be tested in the premiership before he can be considered for England.
Let's face it we are not that well off for goalkeepers so he must stand a good chance of selection.

As a long shot what about Fred at least selected for a squad sometime?

Twig

Why don't we sing that he's one of our own? We should be as proud of him as Sess. Give the guy our love, he deserves it. 

JoelH5

Quote from: fulhamben on May 28, 2018, 07:48:34 PM
I really don't see a lot of difference between Betts and the 3 Southgate has picked. Who knows, a great start to the season and he may just make the euro qualifying squads

Come on! Let's be realistic, Pickford is (metaphorically!!) leagues ahead at present.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

David I

Not really getting the Betts love in thing.... he is ok, but, in my point of view, if you come up against a team with better shot accuracy he struggles. punches when he should collect and inconsistent positioning. Distribution has improved.
No way is he Prem quality....

Of the teams that went down I would try to pick up Butland..

Madman Maddle

Obviously we all like him because he is Fulham through and through. Betts can make some brilliant saves, great reaction time, usually perfect positioning, proven penalty killer and improved his distribution by a wide margin this season. But quite honestly he is horrible at crosses and doesn't command his area like he should be able to with his size. Goes for the punch too often for my liking, which isn't bad per se, but in order to punch you have to get the timing right which he simply doesn't. This is a huge issue. He had two such moments against Villa when he misjudged crosses and they basically missed 2 empty goal headers. PL strikers don't miss those gifts. Honestly I was surprised Betts didn't cost us more goals this season because his biggest weaknesses are crosses, which happen to be the bread and butter of many typical Championship sides. Somehow we haven't allowed much crosses all season long, maybe because we have so much posession. Villa didn't even have a corner all game long!

Betts needs to keep working on his timing and presence when it comes to crosses. Can't misjudge crosses in the PL routinely. We have to bring in a quality GK anyway since you need 2 solid ones in the PL. If Betts improves and beats him out, I'm happy for him. But we shouldn't hand him the job just because he's one of our own. If he can improve at crosses just like he improved his distribution, Southgate could indeed call soon!

fulhamben

Quote from: JoelH5 on May 28, 2018, 10:47:40 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on May 28, 2018, 07:48:34 PM

Come on! Let's be realistic, Pickford is (metaphorically!!) leagues ahead at present.
only 5 teams let in more goals than Everton this season who finished 8th
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

aaronmcguigan

Well you never know. He is being handed an opportunity to play premier league football. He will also know that competition for his place will obviously increase. Button was never going to push him that hard. If a new keeper comes in and Betts is still number 1 then he will obviously have improved.
This time last year many people didn't even hear of Nick Pope, and he was struggling to get in as a number 2 ahead of Paul Robinson I think