watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Can We Keep Our Squad Together

Started by filham, June 11, 2018, 06:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

In recent summers we always seem to have been under threat of losing some of our best players, Malone and Aluko last summer and before that Dembele , McCormac, Dempsey and Dembele.

This summer we have already lost Fredericks to West Ham and there seems the possibility of young Sess going to one of the big six for a huge fee. We cannot afford to lose more.
It is essential that both of these players are replaced with players of quality and  that all other players are retained.
Surely it should be possible to hold on to our remaining players as they are not quite up to top six club quality and outside of the top six is there a better team for them to move to than Fulham.

Of our loan players the club should make every effort to sign Mitrovic before others step in.

General

I think the speculation around sess is a season premature. He's a Fulham fan, been at the club since he was 8/9 and clearly loves the club. Most pundits also say he's best staying with us as he wouldn't get game time for a big six club where he will with us. Also, clubs may be concerned that whilst he did very well for us in the Championship the fee of 50 million for an untested premiership may be deemed too much... I imagine most clubs would consider leaving it a season to see how he fares. If he continues in the same vein fulham can up the price.. if not then they may loose interest or get the price down.

General

Also, if you look at the top six and the players they already have in those positions few are in genuine need.

Sterling, sane, alli etc are all still pretty young too.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: filham on June 11, 2018, 06:54:31 PM
In recent summers we always seem to have been under threat of losing some of our best players, Malone and Aluko last summer and before that Dembele , McCormac, Dempsey and Dembele.

This summer we have already lost Fredericks to West Ham and there seems the possibility of young Sess going to one of the big six for a huge fee. We cannot afford to lose more.
It is essential that both of these players are replaced with players of quality and  that all other players are retained.
Surely it should be possible to hold on to our remaining players as they are not quite up to top six club quality and outside of the top six is there a better team for them to move to than Fulham.

Of our loan players the club should make every effort to sign Mitrovic before others step in.

Fredericks wouldn't sign a contract. Out of all the players that we don't want to lose, Sessegnon is the only one been linked away, and I don't think the rumours mean much.

ffc73

I have no concern about keeping our squad together. The real job is getting quality players in as early as possible. We had a poor pre-season last summer and started slowly. The Premier League will not be as forgiving. With Odoi suspended for the first game we are currently starting on 10 Aug with

Betts
Christie-Djago-Ream-Sess
                KMac
      Cairney.  - Stefjo
Kamara - Fonte - Ayite

Subs Button, Kebano & several youngsters

Southcoastffc

Yes we can.   The reality is that we had 6 loan players, set aside Ojo who did not really work out and we had 5 who were usually in the match day squad - Kalas, Piazon, Norwood, Mitro and Targett, We don't control their futures.  If we can't (or don't wish to) buy all of them, that leaves a sizeable hole in the squad.  Personally. I'd go for Mitro and Targett (and possibly Piazon) but to say we can't lose any of the squad who were successful in the Championship is, in my view, taking a very limited outlook.  We can do better.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Twig

Nothing we can do to sign Mitro till after the WC.

Andy S

MrFFC

Mitro & Targett should be our top targets. As we only have Ream & Odoi I'm happy to see Kalas back for the right price. Norwood I feel the same about but I hope we bring in a better wide player than Piazon I think RW is a position where we need to invest none of Piazon Ayite Ojo or Kebano held that place down last year
Come on you Whites!! :)

filham

Quote from: Southcoastffc on June 11, 2018, 10:46:04 PM

Yes we can.   The reality is that we had 6 loan players, set aside Ojo who did not really work out and we had 5 who were usually in the match day squad - Kalas, Piazon, Norwood, Mitro and Targett, We don't control their futures.  If we can't (or don't wish to) buy all of them, that leaves a sizeable hole in the squad.  Personally. I'd go for Mitro and Targett (and possibly Piazon) but to say we can't lose any of the squad who were successful in the Championship is, in my view, taking a very limited outlook.  We can do better.

No, we need to keep the main players that won promotion, Betts, Odoi, Ream, McDonald, Cairney, Johansen, Sess. and Kamara and try to sign Tarrget and Mitrovic on a permanent basis so that at least we can keep the team together. The next step is to signa few better players that can be introduced when they demonstrate they can improve on what we already have.

To lose three or four of our present squad and then to quickly sign half a dozen replacements would be a recipe for disaster.

toshes mate

I would also like to see Piazon retained provided there is evidence he can fully recover from the nasty injury he picked up last August against Leeds.  Such injuries take quite a long recovery and rehabilitation period and I do not think we saw the best of his potential once he returned to the squad.  He is a gamble but he is a hard worker and if we can persuade his parent club to part with him at a realistic figure then I would certainly do so. 

aaronmcguigan

It's not about keeping most of last years team together. It's about supplementing the best of last years squad with talent who will be able to compete. If that means only keeping Ream, Cairney, McDonald and Sess then flushing the rest of the team with newbies then so be it. The recruitment side, coaching side will already have this view in motion.

We shouldn't need to cling on to the view that just because players like Piazon and Odoi got us promoted means they need to be kept around. Some of them are not good enough for a full premier season, maybe their ilk can compete in a relegation battle but surely we need to think higher than that considering the amount of poor and scrappy teams at the bottom of this league. Yes right now they are better than us but smart and balanced recruitment could get us ahead of the likes of West Ham, huddersfield etc

The Rock

I was thinking the exact opposite. For the first time since before Maf decided to put the club in the store front window, we look likely to retain most of our squad and actually improve it.

filham

Quote from: The Rock on June 12, 2018, 06:03:09 PM
I was thinking the exact opposite. For the first time since before Maf decided to put the club in the store front window, we look likely to retain most of our squad and actually improve it.
[/quote

That's right we must retain the squad and improve it.
To think we can discard and improve is a big risk. We have all seen before that some of the signings we think are improvements turn out to be no be weaker than the players we have lost.

Luffy86

To me, I think if they really wanted to keep a player they'd go out of their way to do so...
Yes, Fredericks was a shining light for us, but he isn't irreplaceable... we've got Cyrus Christie waiting in the wings and he's been a stand out player for recent clubs... and we've also got got the main mans twin brother...
have no fear... I believe we are in good hands now!!

Fernhurst

Don't wanna be a pessimist but I believe our chances of signing Mitrovic are fading fast.
He could end up playing Champions League on the continent.

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Fernhurst on June 12, 2018, 11:30:33 PM
Don't wanna be a pessimist but I believe our chances of signing Mitrovic are fading fast.
He could end up playing Champions League on the continent.

I hope I am wrong, and I hope we are both wrong, but I get the same feeling.
I feel it's imperative we nail him down ASAP before he is offered too many choices.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

I would suggest that players like Mitrovic and Targett are already endeared to FFC and actually signing them as permanent features is dependent upon our recruitment people demonstrating, as SJ puts it, 'ambition'.  We do have a good nucleus or core team even after Fredericks leaving but 'ambition' to my mind means fighting to have the best the Club's money can buy during the window - former loan stock or new recruits.  On previous performances our recruitment people have had one really good window - last Winter - and that was the more so because of the fortuitous link between SJ and Mitro.  Most of our other windows have been very hit and miss and a lot of additional hard work for our coaching staff to get the team to gel.  It is getting players to gel that takes time and injecting one or two players into a settled first team is easier to manage than wholesale change.

I am giving the recruitment team time to win me over but the clock is already running. 

MJG

Quote from: toshes mate on June 13, 2018, 07:15:14 AM
I would suggest that players like Mitrovic and Targett are already endeared to FFC and actually signing them as permanent features is dependent upon our recruitment people demonstrating, as SJ puts it, 'ambition'.  We do have a good nucleus or core team even after Fredericks leaving but 'ambition' to my mind means fighting to have the best the Club's money can buy during the window - former loan stock or new recruits.  On previous performances our recruitment people have had one really good window - last Winter - and that was the more so because of the fortuitous link between SJ and Mitro.  Most of our other windows have been very hit and miss and a lot of additional hard work for our coaching staff to get the team to gel.  It is getting players to gel that takes time and injecting one or two players into a settled first team is easier to manage than wholesale change.

I am giving the recruitment team time to win me over but the clock is already running.
isn't almost every window under every manager hit and miss?  Go back to Roy and he had a load of duds as well.
Just the views of a long term fan

toshes mate

Quote from: MJG on June 13, 2018, 07:23:17 AM
Isn't almost every window under every manager hit and miss?  Go back to Roy and he had a load of duds as well.
For sure but I was rather getting a the ratio between the two which should be above 2:1 in favour of hits rather than the inverse.  I rather doubt, although it is a matter of individual interpretation, that our ratio has been so successful and my fear is that we have tended towards panic buying or deals far too many times for comfort.   I take that to be something not quite right in our approach to players in the absence of any other meaningful reasons.