watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Spain sack manager

Started by Nero, June 13, 2018, 11:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero

Spain sacked head coach Julen Lopetegui after he was named the new Real Madrid boss - two days before their opening World Cup match against Portugal.

Real Madrid announced on Tuesday that Lopetegui would succeed Zinedine Zidane at the Bernabeu on a three-year-deal.

The Spanish football federation (RFEF) said it had dismissed the 51-year-old because the negotiation occurred "without any information to the RFEF".

"I know it's a very difficult situation. I know there's going to be criticism whatever I do," RFEF president Luis Rubiales said.

"I'm sure this will, in time, make us stronger. I admire Julen very much, I respect him very much. He seems a top trainer and that makes it harder to make the decision.

"You can't do things this way, two or three days before the World Cup. We have been compelled to make this decision."

and there still end up do better then England

Milo

Carborundum

Right now, in a parallel universe, a Chelsea owner is making an offer to Gareth Southgate that repeats this debacle with the primary objective of messing up English prospects.

Fulhamfan666

cmg

Excellent. Nothing like a major disruption to kick off a major tournement.
The Dutch never went to a major competition without an internal ruckus - not always to their advantage.

My favourite, which underlined the importance of detailed coaching, hard training and meticulous planning, was the 1992 Euros. Denmark failed to qualify, but continuing warfare and the general disintegration of the country led to Yugoslavia being kicked out (which was tough for one Slavisa Jokanovic who was an integral part of the team). The Danes were quickly summoned from various beaches and holiday camps around the world to make up the numbers.
Of course they then went and won the whole thing.

Burt

That's a big decision...

Lopetegui should have kept the Spanish FA in the picture, and couldn't really be surprised with the outcome.

Nero

Quote from: Burt on June 13, 2018, 02:50:30 PM
That's a big decision...

Lopetegui should have kept the Spanish FA in the picture, and couldn't really be surprised with the outcome.

Sensible thing would be keep quiet, then resign on either getting knocked out or winning no one would bat an eyelid, 2 days later turn up at Madrid

Fernhurst

Quite right - I would have sacked him too. Bloody disrespectful!!
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

SP

SKY Sports have just shown a clip from his last game for Bolton at the Cottage.  Small world.