watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Goal of the season vote

Started by Maidstone Lee, June 13, 2018, 11:46:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camel Club

Wow!! What a difficult choice that was. We were so privileged last season. I had to watch the goals 5 times before I voted and feel that I have to justify why I didn't have a couple of them in my top 3.

For me it's always been as much about the context of the goal as it is about the quality of the finish or the move that led up to it.

For example people still go on about John Barnes' goal for England against Brazil being the best ever England goal. It was in a bloody friendly!! When asked about the best England goal I always say Paul Gascoigne against Scotland at Wembley in Euro '96. We were 1-0 up, under the cosh and Scotland had just missed a penalty. The move ending with Gascoigne's finish (inclusive of dentist's chair celebration) after he had dumped Hendry on his backside was just poetic/beautiful/magical.

I therefore voted:-

1. Cairney vs Aston Villa.

This was arguably the biggest domestic game in World football. In addition Fulham hadn't played at Wembley for 43 years and hadn't even scored a goal there. The move, the pass for the assist and the finish were exquisite. Factor in the celebrations on the pitch and off it, that it was the only goal of the game and that it exemplified the way we had played last season to a global audience and you have to go some to beat it.

2. Johansen vs Cardiff.

The finish was absolutely sublime ("Gorgeous" as GJ describes it in his commentary). 3-2 up away from home against a team with an excellent home record and who would go on to be promoted. A pressure relieving break and Stefan had a hell of a long time to think what he was going to do with the ball when he eventually reached the box. Brilliant finish and one which reminded me of a couple of Bryan Ruiz's goals for us.

3. Mitrovic vs Wolves.

A great move during which Mitrovic demonstrated strength, power, skill, hunger, composure and a fabulous finish. This goal made it 2-0 against the team that were league leaders and who would go on to be champions. If we hadn't sensed it already this was the moment when many of us realised we had a real chance of making the play-offs and maybe even automatic promotion.

I decided against including Kevin McDonald's screamer against Millwall because the keeper should have saved it. Brilliant strike as it was every single time I've watched that goal I don't understand why he hasn't tried to save it with his other hand.

For similar reasons I decided against including Floyd Ayite's goal against Villa. The goalkeeper having kicked the ball straight to Floyd had left him an open goal. Whilst he still had a lot to do and he did it very well I'd have been a hypocrite to have voted for this goal. I've never understood the reaction to Beckham's goal against Wimbledon at Selhurst Park all those years ago. Doesn't matter how many times you watch it Sullivan had no business being 10 yards off his line.

Denis Odoi's winner against Derby was the one I found the hardest not to include as it ticked all of the boxes. I only ruled it out because his header was purely instinctive; he had no time to think about it whereas those that did make my top 3 had different options available but all the chose the right one: and how!!

Wolf

Kamara v Hull
Mitrovic v Wolves (what a great trio from Mitro)
Johansen v Cardiff

I didn't pick Cairney v Villa as I'm sure it'll get in anyway

Thing about Ayite's goal is its an empty net, and I've scored from that distance past a goalkeeper.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

Mitch

Any other season, the first two don't make it, but they meant to so much they go in -

1. Cairney @ Wembley
2. Odoi vs Derby
3. K Mac v Milwall

YankeeJim

Carney against Villa because of its significance and the assist from Sess. We "danced with them that brought us".
Odai v Derby again because of its significance and that it brought back our belief.
Floyd against Villa. Just because I loved it
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Shredhead

Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

OdecaMynoT

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on June 13, 2018, 12:06:21 PM
How is Mitro's 2nd against Sheffield Utd at home not in this?? That would have been my #1.

His goal against Brentford really is impeccable technique. It will probably go under the radar but not many players can do that without ballooning it, let alone squeezing it inside the post.

Agree 100%.
D'er idee thic s'portin' Farlhum domajis d'er bloin iz two my moind obsquired.

filham

A lot of great and important goals but you are unlikely to see anything as rare as Cairney's at Wembley again.

NewYorkYank

Omitted from the list, but on mine, is Mitrovic's goal against Leeds, on the break after Bettinelli's one-on-one save.  Great team goal, and a game changing goal.  But tops still has to be Cairney.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Shredhead on June 13, 2018, 05:55:50 PM
Cairney
McDonald
Odoi

Really tough to choose from so many very good and very important goals but I also went for these 3, but in a different order. 

1. Cairney v Villa at Wembley because of the significance of the goal but added to that is that it was so such a typical Fulham goal, created in our style.

2. Odoi v Derby in the play off 2nd leg, because it got us to Wembley

3. KMac v Millwall (away) a super strike out of nowhere and in the context of a difficult game against a team then in the play-off places.

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Porthogs FC

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on June 13, 2018, 03:14:57 PM
Simples....Odoi's header against Derby.
Without it we might never have lived the dream.

And it's literally the best goal. Just try to replicate that goal once more. Good luck.
Literally a strike (header) of miracles.

Milo

SUCH a hard decision this. I also would've given it to Mitros second against Sheff Utd as I still have no idea how he scored it.

1. Odoi V Derby County - winner in a crucial game. They had so little time to practice taking long corners for this game and Odoi was under pressure from the previous game. On balance a close winner.

2. Mitro V Wolves - Strength and accuracy. Also a big goal in a big game.

3. Mitro V Brentford - Technique was brilliant. Was a "pressure cooker" of an atmosphere at the time in CC too.

I enjoyed Stef Jo's and AK's chips!

HatterDon

more than half of them I'd never seen before. I watched three times, but spent all of it jumping up and down with joy and shouting incoherently.

There's no way I can dispassionately evaluate them -- never mind rank them. I'll blindly agree with the majority decision.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Milo

Watched those goals again this morning!

Just shows how good Mitrovic is ... sign him up!

MrFFC

I went
Odoi v Derby
Cairney v Villa
Ayite v Villa
Come on you Whites!! :)

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Goals can be classified by the teamwork involved in the build up , the individual skill of the scorer, or the importance of the goal to the match or overall season.

The best teamwork move which has not been mentioned was by Kamara after a four or five close player move.

Quite honestly I have found it almost impossible to decide but I did find it interesting the way that Jim's goal celebration got louder as the season went on.

A true reflection of all our feeling.

Holders

I couldn't decide either but I rather liked Mitro's against Brentford.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

mrmicawbers

Quote from: Mitch on June 13, 2018, 05:13:33 PM
Any other season, the first two don't make it, but they meant to so much they go in -

1. Cairney @ Wembley
2. Odoi vs Derby
3. K Mac v Milwall
Exactly as I saw it Mitch.

flyingfish

Cairney dribbling to the goal line past at least a couple of defenders followed by sess's dink in is a surprising omission  - I temmebr cairney picking up the ball and the whole ground shouting shoot!!! And wondering wtf he was doing followed by a sublime dribble,pass and sess being just in the right place.

flyingfish

Quote from: flyingfish on June 18, 2018, 06:08:56 PM
Cairney dribbling to the goal line past at least a couple of defenders followed by sess's dink in is a surprising omission  - I temmebr cairney picking up the ball and the whole ground shouting shoot!!! And wondering wtf he was doing followed by a sublime dribble,pass and sess being just in the right place.

Oops home at ipswich

flyingfish

My seven year old chose

1 ayite vs villa
2 cairney vs villa
3 odoi vs derby

Seeing all three of these live will live brightly in her memory all her life.