watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Rui Fonte

Started by hongkongfulham, June 13, 2018, 12:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St. Andrews White

I actually had a dream last night that we'd sold him, and I'll be honest I was dissapointed to wake up and find out we hadn't!

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

The Intertoto might not exist anymore, but that doesn't matter. We'll still win it again.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on June 13, 2018, 05:05:06 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on June 13, 2018, 01:06:51 PM
Not good enough,terrible signing along with a few others last Summer,move them on.
+1, don't know how many times the subject of Fonte has to be brought up on here?????

Could be the worst 9million we have ever spent, pound for pound.
I would like him to succeed, because I doubt if we could give him away at the moment let alone get any money back for him.
I would like to know whose error of judgement was it to decide to spend that kind of money on a player that currently has so many short comings, they should pay it back to the club out of their own wages.
As we will not be able carry any passengers in the English Premier League.
So he either gets his act together ASAP like yesterday, or we off load him from the payroll, as he is not giving value for the obscene money he is earning. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Common sense indicates that Fonte is going to struggle to find a place on the bench in the Premiership. Sell him ASAP and use any small transfer fee we get to build up the offer for Mitrovic.

Fulham 442

Common sense indicates that Fonte is going to struggle to find a place on the bench in the Premiership. Sell him ASAP and use any small transfer fee we get to build up the offer for Mitrovic.

I agree.  He hardly lit the Championship up did he, what makes people think he will suddenly be a hit in the EPL?  As nice a fella as he appears to be we can't afford the luxury of keeping him in case he suddenly makes an improvement.  He just didn't work out for us, better for both parties that he be moved on and removed from the wage bill and whatever  funds are recouped can then be better spent elsewhere.

FulhamStu

We do not know, it's All opinions obviously but I would say, if a decent offer comes in, and I suggest we let it know we would be prepared to sell, then let him go.  If not, he fights for form and a place in the squad.

He is not a poor player, he has a fantastic attitude and could be a good squad player.  Don't write him off, but if we can get some good money back, off he goes with our best wishes.

Matt10

Unless he decides to being more selfish on the pitch, he will be a good candidate to give up the #9 shirt depending on who/what position we sign. I think it would be the best thing for him. He can play in midfield or as a second striker. Prem is a different beast than championship. Much more variety of play styles, so who knows.

toshes mate

When it comes to picking the players Jokanovic wants in his squad he shows no sentimentality.  Fonte knows that as well as anyone, but, last season, there were times when our coaches were indulged in making patchwork quilts because they had little options elsewhere.  I really don't get the 'rubbish' tags as Fonte clearly has skill, ability and, perhaps latent, talent.  Much depends on what happens over the next several weeks as a first team core begins to appear.  I am happy to let SJ make the decisions about who is or isn't good enough.

bog

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 13, 2018, 01:13:00 PM
I am hoping that Fonte will actually find a bit more space in the Prem. He is undoubtedly talented and did show all too brief moments of that talent. But I can't see him as an out and out striker. We needed a more physical player like Mitro. In the Prem he may be able to find the form that attracted the club to him in the first place.

+1

Twig

Quote from: bog on June 14, 2018, 08:55:05 AM
Quote from: Lighthouse on June 13, 2018, 01:13:00 PM
I am hoping that Fonte will actually find a bit more space in the Prem. He is undoubtedly talented and did show all too brief moments of that talent. But I can't see him as an out and out striker. We needed a more physical player like Mitro. In the Prem he may be able to find the form that attracted the club to him in the first place.

+1

Absolutely no chance. More space, do you really think defenders politely stand off in the Prem? They are less physical for much of the time because they are better players; speed and timing into the tackle, fitness, pace, ability to steer forwards away from the danger areas, etc. Fonte will not have a prayer.

VicHalomsLovechild

I remember Steven Davies at Fulham and how a lot of people thought he was too light weight but he's done well at Southampton over the years. Fonte is obviously a team man and I along with a few others hope he takes his chances and proves he's got something to offer.

Woolly Mammoth

If Fonte has been a free transfer or for a modest fee, I would probably be more sympathetic. But allegedly 9m is criminal. So unless he has something up his sleeve, or preferably in his boots, and he starts playing like a 9m footballer, then in the cold light of day, unfortunately his wages do not justify having him on board ship, and he has become a very expensive mascot.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

alfie

Mitrovic could not get into Toons, so there is always a chance things could turn around for him.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Andy S

I would keep him for another season and see what progress he made in the Prem. I don't think we can rely to heavily on him though

simplyfulham

Quote from: Twig on June 13, 2018, 02:41:57 PM
The difference between the Championship and the premier league is huge. Players are fitter, quicker, and technically and tactically more adept.  Fonte couldn't deliver in the lesser division so what makes anyone think he will deliver in the prem?  He will not have "more space", defenders do not politely sit off in the prem, they just tend not to need to resort to physicality as much due to their other attributes.
Dream on those who see Fonte as contributing at this level.

Players run more and further in the Chanpionship compared to the Premiership. That's statistically proven.

Players in the Premiership are far more intelligent and are thus in the right positions far more often than players in the Championship.

As for sprint stats, I'm not sure. Players in the Premiership may well rack up more sprints in 90 mins.

filham

Of course it may be difficult to sell Fonte, he is probably on a good contract and is happy to stay and fight for a Premiership place rather than move to a lower league and a less attractive contract.

RaySmith

I don't think the club will keep him on unless they think he  can contribute as a player.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 13, 2018, 06:32:24 PM
Quote from: davew on June 13, 2018, 05:05:06 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on June 13, 2018, 01:06:51 PM
Not good enough,terrible signing along with a few others last Summer,move them on.
+1, don't know how many times the subject of Fonte has to be brought up on here?????

Could be the worst 9million we have ever spent, pound for pound.
I would like him to succeed, because I doubt if we could give him away at the moment let alone get any money back for him.
I would like to know whose error of judgement was it to decide to spend that kind of money on a player that currently has so many short comings, they should pay it back to the club out of their own wages.
As we will not be able carry any passengers in the English Premier League.
So he either gets his act together ASAP like yesterday, or we off load him from the payroll, as he is not giving value for the obscene money he is earning. 

Yet again so on Woolly.

Carborundum

Having seen Tim Ream go from wet lettuce impersonator to POTS, I'll cheerfully admit to knowing diddly squit about whether a player will improve significantly from one season to the next. 

Granted TR was doing it without a change in division.  Rui Fonte's situation is a bit different.  But I know that TR did what he did, in part, because he's a humble and determined character.  Evidence suggests RF has similar characteristics.

Good luck to him, whatever happens

filham

A lot of us would have to eat a lot of humble pie if Fonte came good but I would be quite content with that, indeed I would be pleased because we really do need  more strength up top.

hovewhite

Like him as a person,can he get better at this level ?the jury's out.
It could be the making or breaking next season for him