watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Rui Fonte

Started by hongkongfulham, June 13, 2018, 12:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hongkongfulham

Does he have a role to play next year? Do we keep him in the squad or try to ship and recoup funds?

Pretty expensive asset to have around and wonder what part you all think, if any, he will play next year.

My own view is he has talent, but will never bag loads of goals and is better as part of a front 2 centrally. When we tried him on the right he just wasn't direct enough. Seemed to have a great attitude though despite being rightly frozen out. He made the bench for the second Derby game and final (after missing out on the squad for Derby away) so something tells me we haven't seen the final chapter on his Fulham days, but that obviously depends largely on how recruitment goes this summer.

Mince n Tatties

Not good enough,terrible signing along with a few others last Summer,move them on.

Lighthouse

I am hoping that Fonte will actually find a bit more space in the Prem. He is undoubtedly talented and did show all too brief moments of that talent. But I can't see him as an out and out striker. We needed a more physical player like Mitro. In the Prem he may be able to find the form that attracted the club to him in the first place.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

bobbo

I'm afraid i agree he's definately not good enough. Being a person with feelings i'm so loathed to slag him off. but he's been tried on many occasions and in different slots but alas the lad doesnt fit.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Riverside

As the central striker he has no role for us
But has skill and has shown a great attitude

but
1) IF we play 2 up I can see him as a 10 with Mitro as 9
2) In our current formation it would also be interesting to see him play in the Johanson role .

Though if I was offered what I paid to sell him on I would take it .....

Facts Not Fiction

He clearly cares for the club, his impact in the dressing room exceeds his impact on the pitch.

The PL is a different ball game to the Championship, far less physical, and technical ability thrives over strength. Give him a 2nd chance to show what he can do.

Madman Maddle

Stop the illusions now, please!

Fonte couldn't even sniff a sub role in the Championship. He got the benefit of doubt early on as our big 9m signing, but failed to show anything. Good teammate or not, the quality just isn't there. At least for English football.

Another myth I can't listen to anymore is about the PL being less physical than the Championship! PL defenders are not only stronger and faster, but in general they are better in just about every area than your typical wooden Championship defender. Even slightly below average PL defenders wouldn't lose any sleep over Fonte.

I don't see Fonte featuring in the PL. Have a gut feeling that it won't be easy to offload him either. Only chance I see is loaning him back to Portugal with us still paying a good part of his salary. Or we find a Championship club that is desperate for a striker on deadline day, just like we were usually.

MJG

Not willing to write him off yet. Let's wait and see. Ream won everyone round when same criticism of him was going on. Not physically strong enough, can't jump and win headers , no pace. Just won player of the year.
Just the views of a long term fan

Twig

The difference between the Championship and the premier league is huge. Players are fitter, quicker, and technically and tactically more adept.  Fonte couldn't deliver in the lesser division so what makes anyone think he will deliver in the prem?  He will not have "more space", defenders do not politely sit off in the prem, they just tend not to need to resort to physicality as much due to their other attributes.
Dream on those who see Fonte as contributing at this level.

colinwhite

sadly he s just too lightweight. But agree with MJG you never know ,he could turn it around.

Mince n Tatties

Sentimental tosh talked on here,yes that will win us games him being a lovely fella...We were had paying 9 million for him.
Why not keep them all Williams, Woodrow, Dajo,Cisse,
Button,Ojo,and whoever,all lovely fellas.
Nonsense.

Madman Maddle

Quote from: MJG on June 13, 2018, 02:27:58 PM
Not willing to write him off yet. Let's wait and see. Ream won everyone round when same criticism of him was going on. Not physically strong enough, can't jump and win headers , no pace. Just won player of the year.
Ream is a rare exception. Probability of 1 in 100, if not more, that a player who's been playing horrible for the better part of 2 seasons suddenly turns into Beckenbauer.

I just don't see Fonte succeeding with us. He is too weak for attack, too slow for midfield, and doesn't posess other special abilities that would justify playing him. It's not like he has the creativity of Bryan Ruiz, who is much faster btw. Fonte is a solid technician, but nowhere near Cairney or even Johansen. He certainly doesn't have the power of Johansen which you need in midfield these days. Too slow for the wing, like a lesser version of Piazon.

Fonte's track record in Portugal wasn't very good either. At 28 years, odds are he doesn't turn into a serviceable PL striker.

MJG

Quote from: Madman Maddle on June 13, 2018, 02:48:42 PM
Quote from: MJG on June 13, 2018, 02:27:58 PM
Ream is a rare exception. Probability of 1 in 100, if not more, that a player who's been playing horrible for the better part of 2 seasons suddenly turns into Beckenbauer.

I just don't see Fonte succeeding with us. He is too weak for attack, too slow for midfield, and doesn't posess other special abilities that would justify playing him. It's not like he has the creativity of Bryan Ruiz, who is much faster btw. Fonte is a solid technician, but nowhere near Cairney or even Johansen. He certainly doesn't have the power of Johansen which you need in midfield these days. Too slow for the wing, like a lesser version of Piazon.

Fonte's track record in Portugal wasn't very good either. At 28 years, odds are he doesn't turn into a serviceable PL striker.
I'm not saying he will succeed, just not willing to write him off yet.
Ream is not the only player to play better and win back/over fans after a poor start and certainly not 1 in 100.
Just the views of a long term fan

mrmicawbers

I like the man.Think he may be more suited to the Prem.The main thing is what does the manager think.Never really had the chance to cement his place so difficult to say really.

RaySmith

I don't think Fulham will keep him, if the manager doesn't think he's capable of doing a job.

gezkc

I'd like to see Fonte succeed, if only to pay back the investment we've made in him.

If he's still with us after the summer, we'll know that the manager obviously thinks he can do a job for us in the Prem. He might well surprise a few people.

davew

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on June 13, 2018, 01:06:51 PM
Not good enough,terrible signing along with a few others last Summer,move them on.
+1, don't know how many times the subject of Fonte has to be brought up on here?????
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Jack Fulham

Quite happy with him as 3rd choice forward behind Mitro (fingers crossed) and Kamara. Squad is thin right now and he looks like he enjoys it. Give him another season.

Dodger53

I wrote Ream off last year - what do I know - This year he got my vote for Player of the year. Am I the only one?
What ever SJ decides is fine by me.

Samjack

Worth a second chance. Too soon to write him off. Hayles, Ream, Conroy... so common for players to have a bad first season and come good in the second. Clearly got a good attitude, which suggests he might be able to turn it around. That said, if we got what we paid for him , I'd take it.