more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

WORLD CUP THREAD

Started by Maidstone Lee, June 14, 2018, 11:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: grandad on June 18, 2018, 08:53:44 PM
England might have scraped a win but were generally so poor. Like 11 players playing together for the 1st time. Kane is the only player who looks like he knows what he is doing.

Disagree. We did okay. Before the penalty we were excellent.

grandad

I thought Tunisia did well. Caused trouble with their pace out of defence.Deserved a draw.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Holders

Quote from: Stefan The Viking (The Moose) on June 18, 2018, 08:59:14 PM
Quote from: grandad on June 18, 2018, 08:53:44 PM
England might have scraped a win but were generally so poor. Like 11 players playing together for the 1st time. Kane is the only player who looks like he knows what he is doing.

Disagree. We did okay. Before the penalty we were excellent.

We were fine before the (dodgy) pen. Kane could have had two for fouls on him but second half we were trying to pass it in when we should have been running at them - like Sess and Kamara would have. Rashford was an improvement when he came on.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Carborundum

This thing doesn't really get going until the knockout phases.  A win without playing champagne football is fine.  We have some decent forwards and a "big men up from the back" option that's effective. 

Harry Maguire being talked up as a playmaker on the beeb.  This should ring alarm bells.  Tunisia gave him the run of the pitch for reasons that are not flattering. 

Lighthouse

England missed three or four chances. Had an iffy penalty given against them and had two clear cut penalties missed by VAR. Tunisia were niggly and tetchy but were never close to scoring other than the penalty. England deserved the win and it was far from lucky. But we were certainly pedestrian in the second half compared to the first.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on June 18, 2018, 08:54:20 PM
Don't get too excited!
We just struggled to beat a team that wasn't interested in playing.

Well this is every euro or world cup group game we ever play. I'm quite excited we got through this. Not expecting us to win the thing but it's nice to finally get what we deserve.

Twig

Quote from: grandad on June 18, 2018, 08:59:21 PM
I thought Tunisia did well. Caused trouble with their pace out of defence.Deserved a draw.

No because we should have had two stone wall pens.  And Tunisia were very limited we were far and away the better side.  We played the football, had far more shots on goal, dominated possession, had more corners...... In what way did we not deserve to win?

Maidstone Lee

Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

Lighthouse

Iran against Spain. Pundits complaining about Iran playacting. I wonder where Iran players would have got the idea from? Possibly among the worst offenders, Spain maybe?

SP

Maybe it's just me but WCs don't seem to have the glamour these days?

Remember watching unkown players from the African countries in particular & the commentators would speculate if they'd be good enough to play in England.  These days, those players have probably already been signed by the age of 10 to clubs in Spain, Italy or Ch*lsea.

JoelH5

Quote from: SP on June 20, 2018, 08:31:21 PM

Remember watching unkown players from the African countries in particular & the commentators would speculate if they'd be good enough to play in England.  These days, those players have probably already been signed by the age of 10 to clubs in Spain, Italy or Ch*lsea.

It's just you. I'm loving it so far
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Milo

What better way of spending your Friday evening than watching Mitro?

gezkc

Quote from: SP on June 20, 2018, 08:31:21 PM

Not being funny, but how old are you?

There've been top African players in the European leagues for years.

bobbo

Staying on the OP thread just World Cup, who else has noticed the really high level of fouling and gamesmanship going unpunished. It seems it's an accepted part of the game. I hate it with a passion.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Lighthouse

Quote from: bobbo on June 21, 2018, 08:12:00 PM
Staying on the OP thread just World Cup, who else has noticed the really high level of fouling and gamesmanship going unpunished. It seems it's an accepted part of the game. I hate it with a passion.

Also an amazing amount of toe and foot stamping. Seems to be the new craze.

Barrett487

Beckham (whilst in China) predicted an Argentina vs England final  :005:

Steeeeeeeeeed

I think Maradona was right here about Messi...

https://youtu.be/llktgY7ppBI

Absolutely one of the Great Players, but his one big weakness is a lack of leadership / personality. All the great players have this, except him. I have seen him play well at times and in spurts for Argentina, but looks like they are done now in 2018, and he didn't seem to make an impression at all.

Mince n Tatties

He made me laugh the Argentina manager he must have worn his shoes out walking back and forward on touchline, then he took his jacket off and he  looked like an extra from the Sopranos.😉

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on June 21, 2018, 10:28:01 PM
I think Maradona was right here about Messi...

https://youtu.be/llktgY7ppBI

Absolutely one of the Great Players, but his one big weakness is a lack of leadership / personality. All the great players have this, except him. I have seen him play well at times and in spurts for Argentina, but looks like they are done now in 2018, and he didn't seem to make an impression at all.

The difference with him and Ronaldo is the latter can turn it on at International level Messi always seems lost.
He is a great player,but it has been easy playing for a club like Barca all his career,that's the difference with other great players playing to his strength, Argentina haven't got them imo.

toshes mate

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 18, 2018, 09:40:03 PM
England missed three or four chances. Had an iffy penalty given against them and had two clear cut penalties missed by VAR. Tunisia were niggly and tetchy but were never close to scoring other than the penalty. England deserved the win and it was far from lucky. But we were certainly pedestrian in the second half compared to the first.
That was my reading of proceedings too.  The squandered chances were almost easier to score from than the two that were taken.  Kane had composure when others had none and that is why we had to scrap for the win.