watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sterling !!!!!!!!

Started by South Coast White, June 18, 2018, 09:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

South Coast White

He was the leak link in the euros 2 years ago, and in my opinion will be this year. Don't get me wrong, for City it works, for England he just doesn't cut it.

hovewhite

He's got time on his side the young man.

keith

I said the same about Sterling two years ago. Start Rashford in the next game. Yep, great club player, but doesn't cut it for England.

MikeTheCubed

I thought he was the weak link in the World Cup 4 years ago yet alone the Euros 2 years ago, even when the media were raving about him. 2 goals (against Lithuania and Estonia) in 39 international appearances, why is he one of the first names on the team sheet?

keith

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on June 18, 2018, 10:02:13 PM
I thought he was the weak link in the World Cup 4 years ago yet alone the Euros 2 years ago, even when the media were raving about him. 2 goals (against Lithuania and Estonia) in 39 international appearances, why is he one of the first names on the team sheet?
.       My question too Mike.

bobbo

Achieved almost nothing tonight. Failed to pass when he ought to, hung on to the ball too long on other occasions, lost possession many times. There's better than him for that role.
I'm glad Southgate noticed it also and subbed him.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

RoyTund

It's always a worry when you don't want a player to have time to think.

Woolly Mammoth

I know it will not happen, but I would like to see Loftus-Cheek, Rashford and Rose start v Panama. I suppose it may depend on injuries, but I know Southgate may not want to change a winning team, but he needs to think carefully.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Andy S

I'm afraid we will come a cropper to better teams but that's football

Woolly Mammoth

Don't be afraid Andy, we are no push overs, it's all a challenge. We have given ourselves a chance to qualify for the knockout stages by deservedly winning our first group match against a tenacious Tunisian team, a referee and the VAR clowns. So have some faith.
If we beat Panama, we guarantee qualifying into last 16 and the knock out stages. Prior to that we have to play Belgium, a quality team and one of the more fancied.
That will be an interesting challenge and a huge test. Whoever wins that tops the group, assuming Belgium beat Tunisia.
We play better against the so called bigger teams, but Brazil, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Argentina have all failed to win their first match, and France only just pipped Australia, so none of the unfancied teams are going to turn up and roll over.
Of course things can change and some teams will get better as the competition progresses, but so far, all the clever Dicks who said Germany are nailed on, are looking rather silly, none of them gave Mexico much chance.
I hope we can go further than recent competitions, that will be a start, you never know.
It's all on the day, plenty of Dark horses in the mix.
We just have to overcome whoever is in front of us, and that includes the Referee and the VAR system.
So relax and enjoy the spectacle.   

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 19, 2018, 12:09:10 AM
I know it will not happen, but I would like to see Loftus-Cheek, Rashford and Rose start v Panama. I suppose it may depend on injuries, but I know Southgate may not want to change a winning team, but he needs to think carefully.
That team almost dropped two points last night, changes are needed. Rose , Radford and Loftus Cheek should be given a chance.
Sterling has run out of chances.

Dixie

Quote from: filham on June 19, 2018, 10:58:30 AM
That team almost dropped two points last night, changes are needed. Rose , Radford and Loftus Cheek should be given a chance.

Totally agree with the above.

Sterling was mostly awful last night, he just never has any end product when playing for England. Runs into dead ends or loses possession.

Also thought Young was poor and Alli should have gone off much sooner.
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

Bill2

Have to agree with the majority of comments in that Sterling does not cut it I an England shirt.

bog

Have we another John Barnes here? Outstanding for Liverpool but rarely got going for England.

092.gif

Woolly Mammoth

I shall be disappointed if he starts v Panama, especially when we have other alternatives that will have a bigger impact.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on June 19, 2018, 10:58:30 AM
especially when there are alternatives like Rashford, Loftus Cheek and Vardy.

Never forget your Roots.

South Coast White

As I posted last week, totally out of his depth in an England shirt.
Ok we won convincingly against a poor Panama defence, but let's hope Southgate picks him against Belgium and he picks up 2 yellows or better still straight red!!!!! He didn't get a touch for at least 10 mins in that game. Ok we scored from his header but how many others would have buried that chance.

filham

Afraid Sterling has been given too many chances for England. The Belgium result is not important so it presents a good opportunity to try out a permanent replacement for Sterling, probably Rashford.

Barrett487

Quote from: South Coast White on June 24, 2018, 03:58:21 PM
As I posted last week, totally out of his depth in an England shirt.
Ok we won convincingly against a poor Panama defence, but let's hope Southgate picks him against Belgium and he picks up 2 yellows or better still straight red!!!!! He didn't get a touch for at least 10 mins in that game. Ok we scored from his header but how many others would have buried that chance.

He also set Lingard up for his goal with a perfectly weighted one-two. His finishing is an issue however.

Nick Bateman

Sterling without referees giving his outrageous dives is not much worth.  We should play Rashford against Belgium to win the group and shut a few doubters and remoaners up!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"