watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I'm finding it hard

Started by Andy S, June 19, 2018, 09:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

To get any enthusiasm for this World Cup. Nothing can match our achievements as a club. Anything England do will be an anti-climax. The England management don't inspire me and for that matter neither do the players. I'm patriotic so I would love us to do well. I can't see it happening and I won't be too disappointed

Lighthouse

Haven't been  enthusiastic in the International game for years. The World Cup is something to watch and yes you would like to get involved in whatever team you want to win. But it doesn't have the gloss it once did. At least for me. This is certainly the first World Cup that I have little idea who half the England team play for for their clubs.

Had Fulham not won the play offs I would probably be giving the whole thing a miss. But they did so I might as well prolong the feeling by watching football. 

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Andy S on June 19, 2018, 09:49:33 AM
To get any enthusiasm for this World Cup. Nothing can match our achievements as a club. Anything England do will be an anti-climax. The England management don't inspire me and for that matter neither do the players. I'm patriotic so I would love us to do well. I can't see it happening and I won't be too disappointed

I have the number for the local Samaritans if you feel that depressed.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

It is difficult to get excited about England, they lack strong characters, can't see them progressing far into the knock out.
stages.

My focus is on Fulham in the transfer market, particularly Mitrovic, The World Cup takes a minor place in my mind.

Carborundum

There's now a strong prospect that we will have one, two, perhaps three and just possibly four matches that will grip the nation.  What's not to like?

If it's really not your thing, then there's Metropolitan Police Surrey Youth League seven aside at Imber Court this weekend too.  Gut-wrenching stuff served as standard!

Grumpy Worthing White

I`m finding It hard, getting around on crutches (giving me back ache)after putting a kitchen knife through my foot (accidentally). Thank heavens for the World Cup and the Internet. :016:

Russianrob

I actually live in Russia,St.Petersburg working as an English teacher and have many Russian friends.However after Fulham's victory at Wembley which I was privileged to witness with nearly 40,000 other Fulham supporters this world cup pales into the insignificant.I doubt my enthusiasm could be lifted even if England won it!

mrmicawbers

Now it's here I will get more involved.Not that interested before then.I think that England over the years have Frustrated me in Tournament Football.Lets hope this Team ethic they have brings it's rewards.

filham

OK, don't laugh, but what if we were to get to the final, bet our attitudes would change.

Jimpav

I get the cynicsm surrounding the England team, especially after the last 20+ years of dross, but we now have a much younger team and a level headed manager, there is some hope to had.

Whatever your views on the national side though, the world cup is always a good way to fill what would otherwise be a football free summer.

Spain V Portugal was a classic match and show cased some of the best footballing talent on the planet.

Brazil v Switzerland less so, but was very watchable and was an exciting game.

I won't be shedding any tears when England get knocked out, but I will be cheeing them on along the way.

I'm not sure what you meant by your comments Statto, but all the Germans I have ever met are fiercely patriotic, whether they are from the East or the West.

gezkc

I was adamant I wouldn't get into this World Cup. After all the Sepp Batter business and the dodginess of World Cups being handed to Russia and Qatar, I was convinced I'd had enough of international football and its corrupt bureaucracy.

However, now it's on, I've been watching almost every game and following it on my wall chart. I'm even hopeful England can do well. Gareth Southgate's a decent, level-headed guy and it's a young team without some of the odious characters of the past (not mentioning any names, John Terry).

It's been a good tournament so far, with Spain vs Portugal being the standout match for me.

Here's to another 3 weeks of it, hopefully involving England!  082.gif

alfie

I reckon we must be the only supporters in the World that don't support or care about our National team. If we as supporters stop demanding good overseas players at club level then maybe a few more of our young players would get a chance, and then progress into the national team.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Tabby

Quote from: Statto on June 19, 2018, 11:07:46 AM
Nation states and borders are becoming less and less relevant. We're discouraged from having any national identity or pride for most of the year so why would we suddenly turn it back on for a World Cup? Imagine what it must be like in Germany, where the country itself is younger than most fans, has zero national identity and the best players are Turkish?

By that same token, the Sessegnons aren't English, they're Beninese.

Mince n Tatties

I'm finding it hard to digest my lunch,her indoors undercooked the pasta,I was like a Panda chewing on Bamboo for half an hour.🐼🐼🐼

RaySmith

I've been surprised how I've really got into watching the games, beforehand thinking of it as at least some football to fill the deadly summer gap when there's no Fulham games.

But I've watched most of the games, and enthusiastically supported underdogs like Iceland and Mexico, and really wanted England to win last night - the tension was almost as bad as watching Fulham.

toshes mate

Just watched Colombia v Japan with really good football from the Asian side after the South American team was reduced to ten men from a handball in the box.  The resulting penalty was dispatched with a lesson on how to take a penalty.  Brilliant technique from the Japan side to overcome their height disadvantage and lots of quick fire passing which ended with them deservedly taking the match 2-1.  One of the better games I have watched.

nose returns

i love watching england and am thoroughly committed to the cause.
BUT
in a club V country situation the mighty Fulham are Brasil 1970 and england are bulgaria 1966

It is all a bit of an anti climax this time...wembley still dominates

davew

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 19, 2018, 09:56:00 AM
Haven't been  enthusiastic in the International game for years. The World Cup is something to watch and yes you would like to get involved in whatever team you want to win. But it doesn't have the gloss it once did. At least for me. This is certainly the first World Cup that I have little idea who half the England team play for for their clubs.

Had Fulham not won the play offs I would probably be giving the whole thing a miss. But they did so I might as well prolong the feeling by watching football. 

In total agreement with your comment!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

davew

Quote from: alfie on June 19, 2018, 12:58:07 PM
I reckon we must be the only supporters in the World that don't support or care about our National team. If we as supporters stop demanding good overseas players at club level then maybe a few more of our young players would get a chance, and then progress into the national team.

I think many of us have had our enthusiasm eroded over many years, for some reason England seem to have a divine right to win the World Cup. (LOL)
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Burt

I must admit I wasn't feeling all that about it but watching the Spain v. Portugal match, the upsets we have had already, and watching England down the boozer yesterday have got me right in to it.

I think it is impossible not to enjoy the world cup, if you enjoy football.