watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Canada 2026

Started by SP, June 19, 2018, 09:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

It's a long way off but anyone considering starting a fund to attend the WC in 2026?  I think putting away £50 a month should make a big dent in it.  Friendly locals, a campervan & a bit of touring around sounds good to me.

General

Technically it's Mexico, canada an the U.s - realistically there are only 6 of 21 venues not in the U.s with Mexico having 3 and canada having the same.

Anyone care to give insights or suggestions as to the point of it being a three country world cup when it's soo heavily skewed towards the U.s?

aaronmcguigan

It's to highlight unity, and togetherness, and I reckon fear that an American bid alone in the current climate would be difficult to vote for.
Canada and Mexico only have 3 venues but they'll also more than likely (so far unconfirmed) automatically  qualify for the World Cup considering it is expanding to 48 teams by then.

LVBPTS

im a big fan of the USA and we have family in Canada so as soon as the result was announced i said we had to go. £50 a month for 8 years would be £4800 if my maths is correct so would be a decent amount i guess but depends on how much it cost for you to get there. i have me my wife and 4 kids with another on the way and when we went to Florida in Februsry it was the best part of £11k with all the spending money etc
Supporter since 2000

gezkc

Was the decision to submit a 3 country World Cup bid decided before or after the decision to expand the format to 48 teams?
With 3 host nations automatically qualifying, you'd have to expand the format just to let anyone else take part!

Lighthouse

Yes because some of us can just save 50 quid a month no problem. Ah how the other half live.  :005:
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Jimpav

We were talking about this at work today, would be the trip of a lifetime.

Not sure about how the fixture lists would work though, can imagine that the semis would be split between Mexico City/Vancouver and perhaps a final in New York or LA?

£50 a month would be a start, but based on the current exchange rate it would not be a cheap holiday.

tommy

Quote from: Jimpav on June 20, 2018, 12:10:12 PM

Not sure about how the fixture lists would work though, can imagine that the semis would be split between Mexico City/Vancouver and perhaps a final in New York or LA?

£50 a month would be a start, but based on the current exchange rate it would not be a cheap holiday.
vancouver didn't bid for it. I'm living here now so was very excited about it until I heard that. Apparently FIFA wanted British Columbia to give them a blank cheque for it and they said no thanks. 🤬

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Newry FFC on June 19, 2018, 11:52:27 PM
It's to highlight unity, and togetherness, and I reckon fear that an American bid alone in the current climate would be difficult to vote for.
Canada and Mexico only have 3 venues but they'll also more than likely (so far unconfirmed) automatically  qualify for the World Cup considering it is expanding to 48 teams by then.

.....which really does a nice job highlighting how absolutely corrupt FIFA is/was. That The U.S. is so disagreeable after the awards to Russia and Qatar is a complete laugh, honestly. And this is coming from a Stars and Stripes waving Yank who absolutely despises what is happening politically and morally to my country.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

ToodlesMcToot

Mexico City has the opening match. So, doubtful it gets much beyond a quarterfinal (a shame as the Azteca is so iconic....and Mexico City is a wonderful place). If I were a betting man, I'd wager at least one of the semis being in Atlanta (very prominently featured in the bid and was one of two locations FIFA reps visited) and the other in New York and I'd say the final will be in California once again at the Rose Bowl.

LVBPTS

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on June 20, 2018, 03:14:00 PM

Mexico City has the opening match. So, doubtful it gets much beyond a quarterfinal (a shame as the Azteca is so iconic....and Mexico City is a wonderful place). If I were a betting man, I'd wager at least one of the semis being in Atlanta (very prominently featured in the bid and was one of two locations FIFA reps visited) and the other in New York and I'd say the final will be in California once again at the Rose Bowl.

the final is already pencilled in to be played in New York at the Giants/ Jets MetLife stadium as far as i heard on the TV yesterday
Supporter since 2000

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: corbs83 on June 20, 2018, 03:23:11 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on June 20, 2018, 03:14:00 PM

the final is already pencilled in to be played in New York at the Giants/ Jets MetLife stadium as far as i heard on the TV yesterday

Hadn't heard that one but, makes as much sense as Pasadena.

Lyle from Hangeland

Not voting for this bid based on this makes absolutely no sense. It's not even true.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on June 20, 2018, 03:04:53 PM

.....which really does a nice job highlighting how absolutely corrupt FIFA is/was. That The U.S. is so disagreeable after the awards to Russia and Qatar is a complete laugh, honestly. And this is coming from a Stars and Stripes waving Yank who absolutely despises what is happening politically and morally to my country.

I absolutely agree with you. However, I am happy with where our country is going.

SP

Quote from: corbs83 on June 20, 2018, 09:40:37 AM
im a big fan of the USA and we have family in Canada so as soon as the result was announced i said we had to go. £50 a month for 8 years would be £4800 if my maths is correct so would be a decent amount i guess but depends on how much it cost for you to get there. i have me my wife and 4 kids with another on the way and when we went to Florida in Februsry it was the best part of £11k with all the spending money etc

I think your calculation is correct.  Presumably there'd be a bit of interest to add on top, particularly if the interest rates continue to rise.  Unfortunately, the flip side, it's s*ds law that an unexpected bill will land for the exact sum saved leaving me to justify to the boss why the WC trip rather than new windows, roof, car etc...