watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR England Fan Behaviour

Started by Milo, July 11, 2018, 01:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milo

Having seen online footage of England fans jumping on Russian police cars, destroying taxis in the streets in Nottingham, and having experienced drunk yobs in a pub last weekend in Kent jumping on tables and throwing drinks over my girlfriend.. I have never felt so embarrassed to be English.

I know it's not everyone, but it seems to be at least one group in every pub, outdoors showing, or street. I know Woolly Mammoth will have me for this.. but at times I wish I lived somewhere else. It's such a shame.

I was wondering what everyone elses thoughts were?

Andy S

So what do you say to these people or do you let them get away with it. People can only get away with bad behaviour because others let them

SuffolkWhite

Yep certainly bizarre behaviour when you win a game of football but I witnessed it in Ipswich with fans running across the road and cars having to brake, and Fans so drunk that they were close to fighting each other.

What can you do though. Tonight I will find a quite pub with me mates and not go to the pubs where it will defo kick off.

Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Milo on July 11, 2018, 01:28:05 PM
Having seen online footage of England fans jumping on Russian police cars, destroying taxis in the streets in Nottingham, and having experienced drunk yobs in a pub last weekend in Kent jumping on tables and throwing drinks over my girlfriend.. I have never felt so embarrassed to be English.

I know it's not everyone, but it seems to be at least one group in every pub, outdoors showing, or street. I know Woolly Mammoth will have me for this.. but at times I wish I lived somewhere else. It's such a shame.

I was wondering what everyone elses thoughts were?

I've not see such footage but a local pub has barred people who, in exuberance, threw beer and glasses into the air resulting in 2 or 3 people being taken to A&E with nasty cuts.  I keep away from any national football gatherings, largely because I never expect it to be an uplifting experience.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

FFC1987

Not sure where you'd live that doesn't have d*ckheads to be honest! Every village has it's idiot unfortunately.

Nero

the fan jumping on the Russian police car video wasn't an see on England fan, dont believe everything you see on Facebook, oh look another 5000 holiday going for free must be true its on Facebook

Camel Club

Too many people who follow the England football team are either thugs or racists (usually both) and when England do well at tournaments it brings out a disproportionate number of them. Factor in the bandwagon jumpers, wannabes and those that want to bathe in the reflected glory of England success and you have a huge number of people that you don't want to be within 100 miles of.

I pity them. It'd be great if England win the World Cup but, for me,
even if that happens it will pale into insignifance against Fulham's promotion play off victory or reaching the Europa League final. These people don't have the same emotional investment and therefore very few of them will come anywhere close to experiencing the sheer and absolute joy of that we experienced at Wembley on that beautiful Saturday in May.

bog

Quote from: Camel Club on July 11, 2018, 02:56:25 PM
Too many people who follow the England football team are either thugs or racists (usually both) and when England do well at tournaments it brings out a disproportionate number of them. Factor in the bandwagon jumpers, wannabes and those that want to bathe in the reflected glory of England success and you have a huge number of people that you don't want to be within 100 miles of.

I pity them. It'd be great if England win the World Cup but, for me,
even if that happens it will pale into insignifance against Fulham's promotion play off victory or reaching the Europa League final. These people don't have the same emotional investment and therefore very few of them will come anywhere close to experiencing the sheer and absolute joy of that we experienced at Wembley on that beautiful Saturday in May.

+1

Neil D

These people don't have the same emotional investment and therefore very few of them will come anywhere close to experiencing the sheer and absolute joy of that we experienced at Wembley on that beautiful Saturday in May.
Amen to that.  To be an England 'supporter' (or any other country, for that matter), the bar is set very low.  You just have to be English.  It is very likely that those responsible for such anti-social behaviour described above, know little  and care even less about football.  Football is merely the medium through which they express their social inadequacy.  To be a Club supporter requires a conscious choice (you don't choose to English).  I'm not talking about Man Ure supporters but about those who have a genuine local attachment to the area of their Club - even if, like me, they have moved away.  That never leaves you.

Russianrob

Just watched the Russian news here and there was nothing about it.It does all appear to be very pally and positive.Not the calm before the storm I hope!

fulhamben

Quote from: Russianrob on July 11, 2018, 04:15:06 PM
Just watched the Russian news here and there was nothing about it.It does all appear to be very pally and positive.Not the calm before the storm I hope!
yep and on sky news they just said the Russian police have said how well behaved our fans are. Obviously you will always get a few that misbehave, but our media especially do like to make things up. I'll never forget the last euros where our media were trying to suggest that our fans started a fight with the Russians. A video was released a few hours later where you can see England fans sitting in a bar when Russians turn up and literally throw molotovs at them. Of course they will try and protect themselves after that, but even after that video emerged our scummy media never made a retraction
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Milo

Quote from: Andy S on July 11, 2018, 01:42:52 PM
So what do you say to these people or do you let them get away with it. People can only get away with bad behaviour because others let them

I was going to ask everyone if they challenged people actually. For me, these people are in big groups and are all totally hammered. If someone challenges them they're only going to fly off the handle and start a fight... and I can't for professional reasons get involved in something like that. Quite frankly, I don't want to either. And shouldn't have to...!

The pub incident for example, I just suggested to my girlfriend we leave and watch the game on my phone on the beach. Maybe not very macho but I think very sensible?

alfie

Quote from: Neil D on July 11, 2018, 03:19:59 PM
These people don't have the same emotional investment and therefore very few of them will come anywhere close to experiencing the sheer and absolute joy of that we experienced at Wembley on that beautiful Saturday in May.
Amen to that.  To be an England 'supporter' (or any other country, for that matter), the bar is set very low.  You just have to be English.  It is very likely that those responsible for such anti-social behaviour described above, know little  and care even less about football.  Football is merely the medium through which they express their social inadequacy.  To be a Club supporter requires a conscious choice (you don't choose to English).  I'm not talking about Man Ure supporters but about those who have a genuine local attachment to the area of their Club - even if, like me, they have moved away.  That never leaves you.
I am as passionate about England as much as Fulham, I have a real sense of National pride
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: alfie on July 11, 2018, 05:13:01 PM
I am as passionate about England as much as Fulham, I have a real sense of National pride

I am the same as you Alfie.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 11, 2018, 06:39:58 PM

I have some national pride (but I agree that I invest more emotions in FFC), but it shouldn't slip into blind jingoism.  Sadly for some drunken fools it brings out the worst in them.

bramble

It is sad for me to remark that I was a (very close) witness to some cretinous behaviour at Wembley.  Fulham 'fans' who got upset that Villa supporters were in the boxes behind them (these guys were actually pretty quiet).  The 'Fulham' lot stood up in order to deliberately obstruct their view which, of course necessitated the calling of a steward to try to smooth things over.  The steward was abused and the swearing and general foul language continued throughout the game.  Eventually the Fulham crowd starting knocking six bells out of each other - there were children in close proximity.  So, there are morons everywhere, even at Fulham.

King_Crud

Quote from: Milo on July 11, 2018, 01:28:05 PM
but at times I wish I lived somewhere else.

you'll see similar boorish behaviour in Australia at a cricket match, it's not just England

Carborundum

Many sensible comments here.   At a young age my father, a model of decency and virtue, banned me from going to the football after we witnessed unpleasant scenes after a match.  It was the seventies when unpleasant could be very unpleasant indeed.  You won't be surprised to read that I didn't agree with the course of action.  But I accepted it and I respect that he made the call and stuck to it. 

Football is the worlds game and all human life is there both off and on the pitch.  I've taken a different approach with my son.  No idiot either on or off the pitch is going to come between us and something we both love.  The rule: if you go to the football or play football you will hear bad language and see bad behaviour.  But if you repeat that language or behaviour, you don't go to the games or play in them.

As a dad it's a minefield.  Pick a path, show them one way to address the reality of it and when they old enough, they decide their path for themselves. 

Southcoastffc

Quote from: bramble on July 12, 2018, 01:38:35 PM
It is sad for me to remark that I was a (very close) witness to some cretinous behaviour at Wembley.  Fulham 'fans' who got upset that Villa supporters were in the boxes behind them (these guys were actually pretty quiet).  The 'Fulham' lot stood up in order to deliberately obstruct their view which, of course necessitated the calling of a steward to try to smooth things over.  The steward was abused and the swearing and general foul language continued throughout the game.  Eventually the Fulham crowd starting knocking six bells out of each other - there were children in close proximity.  So, there are morons everywhere, even at Fulham.
True - at Wembley there were about 6 guys at the end of our row who insisted on standing and amongst others a (at a guess) 8 year old behind them couldn't see.  Other supporters drew their attention to the problem, only to get a mouthful of foul language.  It was only when a steward threatened to eject that the situation was resolved.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

brightster

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 11, 2018, 06:39:58 PM

With both of you as well, often go to see England at home, yet to venture away, different atmosphere at Wembley nowadays, more family environment.