watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Oh dear qatari world cup 2022

Started by fulhamben, July 13, 2018, 05:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill dando

I would be interested in the stats of fatalities of American and European people found in Asian countries due to abuse etc.
made in essex

YankeeJim

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on July 13, 2018, 06:17:40 PM
Quote from: Baszab on July 13, 2018, 05:57:46 PM
Hopefully all the alleged "bribing" will be revealed and FIFA will be forced to relocate to a deserving and more realistic football nation - that doesn't employ slave labour to build its stadia

Qatar does not employ the labour. the companies who build the stadiums employ the labour - the majority of these companies are well known European and American construction companies e.g the British company Balfour Beatty

Really? Would such employment practices be allowed in any western nation?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Twig

Hopefully all the alleged "bribing" will be revealed and FIFA will be forced to relocate to a deserving and more realistic football nation - that doesn't employ slave labour to build its stadia

Qatar does not employ the labour. the companies who build the stadiums employ the labour - the majority of these companies are well known European and American construction companies e.g the British company Balfour Beatty

Slap head you are being disingenuous. You obviously live and work in Qatar so you will be well aware that every company is majority owned locally. You give the examp,e of Balfour Beattywhich is actually a company called B K Gulf and Balfour Beatty only own 49%, 51% is owned by Gulf Contracting Company.  This and every other non Qatari company is at least 51% controlled by either; a local sponsor, a local asset management company, a local family group, a local investment company etc. These are the rules and there are no exceptions as I am sure you know.  Therefore, the buck stops with the majority shareholder which is inevitably Qatari.  As a consultant who who worked in the region I know that this is public information.

Woolly Mammoth

I wouldn't send my mother in law there.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bill dando on July 14, 2018, 03:39:15 PM
I would be interested in the stats of fatalities of American and European people found in Asian countries due to abuse etc.

So would I.

Never forget your Roots.

nose returns

what this all means is that the fifa competiton for the world caup was so substantially flawed it needs to be re-run.
the competion was for a june/july tournament, if the jury had known meant a switch to winter disrupting the most pwerful leagues in the world then surely they would have voted differently.
the fact fifa is allowing this is proof positive the organisation remains corrupt to its very core and is not fit for purpose. however, that was clear when they left this years tournament in russia despite it clearly being purchased rather than one in a fair vote.
just my opinion but really it is time fifa and many other major sporting institutions were properly exposed, discredited and then we can all start again.
to be fair the russian tournament has been brilliant but that does not detract from its award being rotten to the core.

Carborundum

Good news on four counts

A ludicrously hot and therefore rubbish World Cup where players play at walking pace doesn't excite me.  England certainly wouldn't win it.

A large part of the World Cup's attraction is getting an extra month of football in what us usually the close season.  Suspect I'm getting at least that albeit maybe some of it one year later.

It might just get switched.....to the UK. 

If not, I'd be tempted to go.  Nights drawing in here or festival of football there?

Pluto

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on July 14, 2018, 02:26:09 PM
https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/death-toll-rises-in-the-lead-up-to-the-2022-world-cup/news-story/43896b31023dd6ab6ed213637fe4d3e7

Shocking. This is almost a year old and around 1,200 had died. Think it said the next most number of deaths was around 60. From when this was written there were 5 years until the World Cup. Horrible to think of how high the numbers could get. Fifa, the Qatari government and the construction companies should be ashamed

They have blood on their hands that's for sure. Disgusting that they've got away with this obvious bribe. Whole thing is a total farce.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Pluto on July 15, 2018, 10:57:31 AM
https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/death-toll-rises-in-the-lead-up-to-the-2022-world-cup/news-story/43896b31023dd6ab6ed213637fe4d3e7

Shocking. This is almost a year old and around 1,200 had died. Think it said the next most number of deaths was around 60. From when this was written there were 5 years until the World Cup. Horrible to think of how high the numbers could get. Fifa, the Qatari government and the construction companies should be ashamed

They have blood on their hands that's for sure. Disgusting that they've got away with this obvious bribe. Whole thing is a total farce.

Yes it most certainly is a farce, it should never have been given to them in the first place, what have they ever contributed to football to earn the right to stage it.
Apart from the fact that the whole farce is magnified by switching it to winter. The agreement was to play it in our summers, and why were they given it in the first place, when clearly their summer with the soaring heat was totally unacceptable.
Corruption at its most evil, brown envelopes changing hands, FIFA who are still ill with corruption and Quatar deserve each other, but we certainly do not deserve either of them.

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 15, 2018, 12:54:14 PM
Quote from: Pluto on July 15, 2018, 10:57:31 AM

Yes it most certainly is a farce, it should never have been given to them in the first place, what have they ever contributed to football to earn the right to stage it.
Apart from the fact that the whole farce is magnified by switching it to winter. The agreement was to play it in our summers, and why were they given it in the first place, when clearly their summer with the soaring heat was totally unacceptable.
Corruption at its most evil, brown envelopes changing hands, FIFA who are still ill with corruption and Quatar deserve each other, but we certainly do not deserve either of them.

Agreed

theofulham

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: theofulham on July 15, 2018, 07:24:43 PM
It's coming home for Christmas

I doubt if Turkey 🦃 will qualify.

Never forget your Roots.

SWSixer

Yes, and sadly these things have a habit of being glossed over and forgotten about once the tournament starts and runs smoothly.

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: Twig on July 14, 2018, 06:41:47 PM

Slap head you are being disingenuous. You obviously live and work in Qatar so you will be well aware that every company is majority owned locally. You give the examp,e of Balfour Beattywhich is actually a company called B K Gulf and Balfour Beatty only own 49%, 51% is owned by Gulf Contracting Company.  This and every other non Qatari company is at least 51% controlled by either; a local sponsor, a local asset management company, a local family group, a local investment company etc. These are the rules and there are no exceptions as I am sure you know.  Therefore, the buck stops with the majority shareholder which is inevitably Qatari.  As a consultant who who worked in the region I know that this is public information.

So twig you don't think the Western Companies bear any responsibility for this?

Twig

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on July 16, 2018, 10:29:43 AM
Quote from: Twig on July 14, 2018, 06:41:47 PM

So twig you don't think the Western Companies bear any responsibility for this?

Have you worked with the Boards of these companies in Qatar? The majority owners ultimately call the shots.  Yes, of course the Western minority stakeholders bear some responsibility too. Even if only by decidiing to get into that market whilst being fully aware of how things work.
My point was that you placed the responsibility squarely on the Western busunesses which is simply incorrect.  They are joint ventures and the majority shareholders are always local. Ultimately they set the standards, determine the culture and dictate high level policy. They have to be regarded as responsible.

gezkc

Quote from: nose returns on July 14, 2018, 10:14:29 PM
what this all means is that the fifa competiton for the world caup was so substantially flawed it needs to be re-run.
the competion was for a june/july tournament, if the jury had known meant a switch to winter disrupting the most pwerful leagues in the world then surely they would have voted differently.
the fact fifa is allowing this is proof positive the organisation remains corrupt to its very core and is not fit for purpose. however, that was clear when they left this years tournament in russia despite it clearly being purchased rather than one in a fair vote.
just my opinion but really it is time fifa and many other major sporting institutions were properly exposed, discredited and then we can all start again.
to be fair the russian tournament has been brilliant but that does not detract from its award being rotten to the core.

0001.jpeg

Pud

Unfortunately we have to wait 8 years for the next 'proper' World Cup*

*=Unless England win it of course, however, if not then it is a fake World Cup to me.

Vinnieffc

Whitesideup

Quote from: gezkc on July 16, 2018, 12:24:35 PM

0001.jpeg

Absolutely agree - is anything going on to make this happen? Do we need the CIA or FBI to step in and start a criminal investigation?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Whitesideup on July 16, 2018, 05:21:44 PM
Quote from: gezkc on July 16, 2018, 12:24:35 PM

0001.jpeg

Absolutely agree - is anything going on to make this happen? Do we need the CIA or FBI to step in and start a criminal investigation?

As well as MI5, Interpol, The Sweeney, The A team, Elliott Ness, Witchfinder General. We need everyone as there are so many of these corrupt officials involved. They not so much fell off the back of a lorry, they were pushed off.
A stench under the nostrils of honest men.

Never forget your Roots.