watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Transfer business

Started by Andy S, July 18, 2018, 10:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Is any club ever happy with their transfer business? So far we have made two signings some clubs more and some clubs less. OK even if your club does not sign new players it seems an idea is to freshen it up a little for all concerned. A few weeks into the new season half the clubs are in a relegation battle. Managers are looking over their shoulders while realising they needed to do more. Even the top six in the premier could feel they could have done more.
on a scale of 1-10 I would put us at 7 so far, but with a couple of more signings we could be at 5 but with nobody for a week or two it could be 10

Twig

Quote from: Andy S on July 18, 2018, 10:35:09 AM
Is any club ever happy with their transfer business? So far we have made two signings some clubs more and some clubs less. OK even if your club does not sign new players it seems an idea is to freshen it up a little for all concerned. A few weeks into the new season half the clubs are in a relegation battle. Managers are looking over their shoulders while realising they needed to do more. Even the top six in the premier could feel they could have done more.
on a scale of 1-10 I would put us at 7 so far, but with a couple of more signings we could be at 5 but with nobody for a week or two it could be 10

On a scale of 1 - 10 I would rate us as 2.  Probably the weakest (and certainly the smallest) squad in the prem.

b+w geezer

We clearly need a lot more bodies in (estimates on here that I've spotted varying from 6 to 10), but in many cases it's OK so long as they have arrived by the time the window closes -- because that is so early this year that everyone will have had at least a fortnight's training by matchday 3/38. Assuming sufficient numbers do in fact arrive, timing is therefore less important than calibre.

One hopes that the delay in filling up the squad is because they are pre-occupied with the major signings to complement that of Seri. Presumably that means Mitro and one would expect one or two more. Once that's done, it's evident how much is left over to fill the squad. No shortage of players want to be in this division, so that squad-filling task is much easier.

Lighthouse

We don't know how good or bad it is until the window is shut. At the moment we are weaker than last season. A midfielder who is class I am told and wanted by many and a left sided defender who may or may not be a regular. A long way short of what we had last season. Need a replacement for the loan players and Button. A lot of work to do.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Statto on July 18, 2018, 11:33:26 AM
Quote from: Twig on July 18, 2018, 10:37:07 AM

On a scale of 1 - 10 I would rate us as 2.  Probably the weakest (and certainly the smallest) squad in the prem.

+1

Out of interest however Statto, would you perfer Seri + Le Marchand or all of the Cardiff signings?

VicHalomsLovechild

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on July 18, 2018, 11:42:54 AM
Quote from: Statto on July 18, 2018, 11:33:26 AM
Quote from: Twig on July 18, 2018, 10:37:07 AM

+1

Out of interest however Statto, would you perfer Seri + Le Marchand or all of the Cardiff signings?

I'd go one step further. If there was no more business done by either club would he swap our squad for Cardiffs

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Statto on July 18, 2018, 12:06:20 PM
Quote from: VicHalomsLovechild on July 18, 2018, 11:49:27 AM
If there was no more business done by either club would he swap our squad for Cardiffs

yes

our current best XI is what,

Betts
Christie-Djalo-Ream-Odoi
McDonald-Cairney-Seri
Kamara-Fonte-Sessegnon   

subs: rodak, cisse, johansen, le marchand, kebano, ayite, woodrow...

Betts
Christie-Odoi-Ream-Le Marchand
McDonald-Cairney-Seri
Kamara-Fonte-Sessegnon   

subs: rodak, cisse, johansen, Sessegnon S, kebano, ayite, woodrow...

And no way would I swap our squad for cardiffs lol

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Statto on July 18, 2018, 12:15:01 PM
Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on July 18, 2018, 12:12:08 PM
And no way would I swap our squad for cardiffs lol

just out of interest which of the following statements do you disagree with "lol" -

1. last year our team last year finished below cardiff's
2. that team above is worse than our team last year
3. cardiff's current team is better than their team last year

None of them. Still would rather our squad. Johansen, Cairney, McD p*sses all over Paterson, Grujic and Ralls. Our first choice keeper kept more clean sheets in half the games. Our 18 year old LW scored 5 more than any of cardiff's players despite playing half the season at LB. Our new signing was in the top 2 for passing in the French ligue and had Barcelona after him last year.

Quite how you could ever perfer Cardiff's squad to ours despite their signings (which make me green withy envy) ie. Smithies, Cunningham, Reid and Murphy (none of whom any of us would want) is crazy.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Statto on July 18, 2018, 12:56:54 PM
Sorry mate i stopped reading after none of them. No amount of baseless, biased comparisons of their weakest players to our best players is going to win you that argument. Goodnight

How is Seri being the second best passer in Ligue 1 baseless? Paterson Grujic and Ralls were starting CMs... Gruijic was on loan and they havent replaced him... Betts keeping more clean sheets in half a season as their first choice in a full one... equally not baseless or biased...

Unfortunately sir, facts do win arguments as it has here. 'Good night'.

tommy

Quote from: Statto on July 18, 2018, 12:56:54 PM
Sorry mate i stopped paying attention after "none of them". No amount of baseless, biased comparisons of their weakest players to our best players is going to win you that argument. Goodnight
When he said none of them he was actually agreeing with you 😂.

And I am in the same boat. I wouldn't  swap teams. No way would I want to watch the stronger Cardiff team play over the style and players we have, even if the squad is weaker.

Stevieboy

Everyone was saying Cardiff's style of football won't work in the a Premier League whereas we are playing Premier League football.
So think that evens things up a bit on that score.

I am so bored with our negativity, no matter how fact based. Think positive and positive will happen.
I trust in Slav and the Khans......let's just enjoy the ride, nothing said on this board will make an iota of difference save promote negative feelings of doooooooooom!!

049:gif 049:gif 049:gif 049:gif ALWAYS BELIEVING  049:gif 049:gif 049:gif 049:gif

Roberty

Quote from: Stevieboy on July 18, 2018, 03:21:01 PM
I am so bored with our negativity, no matter how fact based. Think positive and positive will happen.
I trust in Slav and the Khans......let's just enjoy the ride, nothing said on this board will make an iota of difference save promote negative feelings of doooooooooom!!

049:gif 049:gif 049:gif 049:gif ALWAYS BELIEVING  049:gif 049:gif 049:gif 049:gif

Fact Based, what facts ????

It's mostly opinions, statistics and a degree of poetic license

Benjamin Disraeli, allegedly said there were "three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies and statistics". & W S Churchill is reported to have said "the only statistics you can trust are the ones you have falsified yourself"
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Woolly Mammoth

So based on the recent comments and posts on this thread.
Unfortunately it looks very much like both Fulham FC and Cardiff City will finish in the bottom two and be relegated. 
It's just a question as to which one of us finishes bottom.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MikeW

Woolly - as of this moment you are spot on.  Those happy pills I was encouraged to take last week have worn off and I, like you, am looking at a very thin squad and am wondering where any positivity is coming from? Our management (not our coach) are leaving us in despair yet again with seeming lack of activity.  Yes, two good un's on board but where are the other 6 - 8?
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Woolly Mammoth

MikeW, I despair also, there has to be an explanation, but it's far from ideal, and not the way you would expect a newly promoted Club to operate.
Even if some came in late, it's the slow progress. Obviously it's not a simple task, but nevertheless, there is a pattern every summer, and that's no coincidence.
Without being too presumptuous, I would like to think Mitro will be completed, but after that it's anyone's guess.
Too many hollow rumours without any real substance.
That home Dressing room is looking rather somewhat empty at the moment. So there is plenty of room for the players that are left.
Having said all that, the club will probably announce the signing of two or three quality players by the end of the week, and three or four by the end of next week.

Never forget your Roots.

MJG

In the last 7 days there have been a grand total of 13 transfers into PL clubs... Of which we had two.
Yes we are after another six and can be argued we need the more than others, but the market is very stagnant at the moment with stupid fees being asked for. Everyone is expecting the last week to be manic and we will have at least six more in by then.
Just the views of a long term fan

MJG

Quote from: Statto on July 18, 2018, 08:43:16 PM
In the last two months there have been 70... of which we have had two
less than ten a week then... So things moving a bit quicker now.
Just the views of a long term fan

Woolly Mammoth

Subject to any unforeseen hitches, Fabri looks a done deal, and Mitro will be done and dusted in next 24 hours.
We could very well go back in and make an increased offer for Alfie Mawson, and Malcolm is not a lost cause either.
Of course someone else may have more concrete news about other purchases, but getting Mitro over the line will help me sleep a lot better.

Never forget your Roots.

General

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 18, 2018, 10:33:37 PM
Subject to any unforeseen hitches, Fabri looks a done deal, and Mitro will be done and dusted in next 24 hours.
We could very well go back in and make an increased offer for Alfie Mawson, and Malcolm is not a lost cause either.
Of course someone else may have more concrete news about other purchases, but getting Mitro over the line will help me sleep a lot better.

Could you give a bit more detail re what you know about malcom and why it's not a lost cause etc?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: General on July 18, 2018, 10:42:16 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 18, 2018, 10:33:37 PM

Could you give a bit more detail re what you know about malcom and why it's not a lost cause etc?

It's my understanding that Malcolm prefers to come to the English Premier League, and the club are talking to Boudioux, and we are showing ambition and we are not prepared to be pushed to one side by the likes of Everton and Arsenal and others any more.
But what on Earth would be the attraction to Everton apart from money I don't know.
We are a better attraction than we give ourselves credit for, and players like Malcolm know that if they sign, they will be assured of a starting place as opposed to polishing the bench elsewhere. 
Being a London team plus our location gives us a head start.

Never forget your Roots.