Main Menu

Transfer business

Started by Andy S, July 18, 2018, 10:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 18, 2018, 10:57:00 PM
Quote from: General on July 18, 2018, 10:42:16 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 18, 2018, 10:33:37 PM
Subject to any unforeseen hitches, Fabri looks a done deal, and Mitro will be done and dusted in next 24 hours.
We could very well go back in and make an increased offer for Alfie Mawson, and Malcolm is not a lost cause either.
Of course someone else may have more concrete news about other purchases, but getting Mitro over the line will help me sleep a lot better.

Could you give a bit more detail re what you know about malcom and why it's not a lost cause etc?

It's my understanding that Malcolm prefers to come to the English Premier League, and the club are talking to Boudioux, and we are showing ambition and we are not prepared to be pushed to one side by the likes of Arsenal and others.
We are a better attraction than we give ourselves credit for, and players like Malcolm know that if they sign, they will be assured of a starting place as opposed to polishing the bench elsewhere. 

Cheers, a long way to go but nice to hear and see some consistency with reports stating the club is being ambitious and it's true within the club and players recognise it.

I think we've always had a trump card for a lot of players being based in London,  and believe slavisa and shahid are additional pulls to ambitious players which is great. My only concern is that we're not yet used to shahid spending the necessary money wisely in the premiership and also that the cottage at 25,000 seats could make players see us as as small club.

That said our style of play, signing Seri etc and giving players game time and the opportunity to play at some of the biggest stadiums in the world on away days could counteract that.

It's also interesting to see if and how players respond to fulham now having 8 years or so ago got to the europa league final. Players like Seri, in their youthful prime looking for big clubs to aspire to play for would've witnesssed fulham beating the likes of juve, hamburg, shakthar etc and may believe things can be achieved here.

Hoping next week is a good one along with tomorrow and the rumoured news that Mitrovic seems to be a done deal.

I know people are fretting about so little time until the window shuts along nd games needed to gel but think people forget that even if we signed everyone last minute  (not what anyone wants), it'd still be weeks before we'd normally sign players under old window timeframes and so less of a knock on effect.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: General on July 18, 2018, 11:07:42 PM
Subject to any unforeseen hitches, Fabri looks a done deal, and Mitro will be done and dusted in next 24 hours.
We could very well go back in and make an increased offer for Alfie Mawson, and Malcolm is not a lost cause either.
Of course someone else may have more concrete news about other purchases, but getting Mitro over the line will help me sleep a lot better.

Could you give a bit more detail re what you know about malcom and why it's not a lost cause etc?

It's my understanding that Malcolm prefers to come to the English Premier League, and the club are talking to Boudioux, and we are showing ambition and we are not prepared to be pushed to one side by the likes of Arsenal and others.
We are a better attraction than we give ourselves credit for, and players like Malcolm know that if they sign, they will be assured of a starting place as opposed to polishing the bench elsewhere. 

Cheers, a long way to go but nice to hear and see some consistency with reports stating the club is being ambitious and it's true within the club and players recognise it.

I think we've always had a trump card for a lot of players being based in London,  and believe slavisa and shahid are additional pulls to ambitious players which is great. My only concern is that we're not yet used to shahid spending the necessary money wisely in the premiership and also that the cottage at 25,000 seats could make players see us as as small club.

That said our style of play, signing Seri etc and giving players game time and the opportunity to play at some of the biggest stadiums in the world on away days could counteract that.

It's also interesting to see if and how players respond to fulham now having 8 years or so ago got to the europa league final. Players like Seri, in their youthful prime looking for big clubs to aspire to play for would've witnesssed fulham beating the likes of juve, hamburg, shakthar etc and may believe things can be achieved here.

Hoping next week is a good one along with tomorrow and the rumoured news that Mitrovic seems to be a done deal.

I know people are fretting about so little time until the window shuts along nd games needed to gel but think people forget that even if we signed everyone last minute  (not what anyone wants), it'd still be weeks before we'd normally sign players under old window timeframes and so less of a knock on effect.

I agree with you and yes I concur. As you say, and we have to accept that currently we are not a big club, but it's small steps in the right direction. On and off the pitch, with the proposal of the rebuilding of the new Riverside Stand, running in conjunction with our promotion to the Premier League, so it's all heading the right way on and off the pitch, so small steps it is.
I have to say, that looking back to that marvellous day at Wembley when all our dreams came true.
I don't think we may have realised at the time, the impact that display and result had on our image, especially if you add the way we played our football to get us to Wembley in the first place.
The play off Final therefore was the best window we could have had under the circumstances, added to the reputation we had already earnt have made us a very viable alternative to the usual suspects.
To the neutral, Fulham FC are a breath of fresh air, and the domino effect has revealed that Fulham FC in London by the River Thames with a quality manager, is worth seriously thinking about as an alternative to certain other so called major clubs who are looking rather stale.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

General

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 18, 2018, 11:57:30 PM
Quote from: General on July 18, 2018, 11:07:42 PM

I agree with you and yes I concur. As you say, and we have to accept that currently we are not a big club, but it's small steps in the right direction. On and off the pitch, with the proposal of the rebuilding of the new Riverside Stand, running in conjunction with our promotion to the Premier League, so it's all heading the right way on and off the pitch, so small steps it is.
I have to say, that looking back to that marvellous day at Wembley when all our dreams came true.
I don't think we may have realised at the time, the impact that display and result had on our image, especially if you add the way we played our football to get us to Wembley in the first place.
The play off Final therefore was the best window we could have had under the circumstances, added to the reputation we had already earnt have made us a very viable alternative to the usual suspects.
To the neutral, Fulham FC are a breath of fresh air, and the domino effect has revealed that Fulham FC in London by the River Thames with a quality manager, is worth seriously thinking about as an alternative to certain other so called major clubs who are looking rather stale.

Agreed. I don't think anyone can underestimate the significance of being seen globally as a club that play big games, win them but also sell out half of the stadium to 40,000 odd fans. Whenever a player looks at the cottage they'll know the club is better supported then that and with the owners,  stadium expansion and style of play they could genuinely help build at significant part of fulhams history in the next chapter of growth.

APS

I understand why people are getting worried about the lack of signings so far given the size of our squad. We just need to be patient. There is real ambition being shown in this window and Khan wants this to be a BIG transfer window. Looking to get some good quality players in this window with the intention of not spending much in January or next summer. I'm EXCITED!

twang

If the club can get the Fabri and Mitro signings over the line soon then we're down to a right-sided central defender and a left back as the urgent needs.

Right winger, defensive midfielder and possibly cover at full back along and a backup striker can wait. And two of those could very well be loans during the last day(s) of the window.

Woolly Mammoth

There is now approximately 3 weeks before the deadline, that's very little time for any new signings to come in and get organised and prepared and up to speed with our system of play.
I just hope that none of our Recruitment and Negotiating team have any Annual Leave booked between now and then.

Never forget your Roots.

hovewhite

For me Fulham have great history,London's oldest club best  ground by a country mile view wise overlooking the Thames great supporters,what's not to like!!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: hovewhite on July 19, 2018, 04:33:39 PM
For me Fulham have great history,London's oldest club best  ground by a country mile view wise overlooking the Thames great supporters,what's not to like!!

Exactly hovewhite, and that is what keeps me upbeat, there is so much to like and be attracted to Fulham FC. So on that basis I have to stay calm and be reassured by this, but easier said than done.
I just hope that Mince & Tatties has not set light to his Garden Shed in protest

Never forget your Roots.

b+w geezer

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 19, 2018, 04:29:51 PM
There is now approximately 3 weeks before the deadline, that's very little time for any new signings to come in and get organised and prepared and up to speed with our system of play.
That's true of course, but even if most arrived at the last minute, there would still be good training time before our third fixture out of 38. That's thanks to the early closure. All business done by August 9th would previously have been reckoned good going.

We need Mitro and of course ideally more (especially at CB and LB)  to be best placed for Palace, but already that is a game for which StefJo looks to be consigned to the bench, and the weakness is more in long-term competition and depth than ability to compete for that opening fixture. The second match is one in which any point is a bonus and then by Burnley (H), all-comers have had at least 16 days' training with us.

I don't differ in preferring business earlier, but what matters most is the quality and suitability of who comes in. If they're esnuring that's as good as can reasonably be expected, and in the right numbers, we'll be up to speed in any event with 36 fixtures left.

Fall down in both respects and of course I'll be unhappy!

General

So we've been linked with the following players.

Anyone want to put a price on them?

Mitro - £20m
Fabri - £6m
Malcom -
Barrios - 16m
Mbabu - 7-10m
Lopez -
Augustinsson -
Plattenhardt -

We've apparently already spent around 30£m on Seri and Le Marchand - out of how much?

Is it realistic to be able to sign all of them?

wheelerdeeler

Malcom would be 35-40, Barrios has a known 16m release clause, Mbabu probably 7-10m, Lopez has the 35m release clause but if he pushed for the move we'd probably get him for 20-25 (doubt he would when he's their captain), and then Augustinsson and Plattenhardt would both be in the 15-20 region. Maybe a bit higher for Plattenhardt.

It's hard to say how much we have left to spend, because we don't know how ambitious the Khan's are being after the Seri signing. Think we can maybe afford two more "big money" (20+) signings, and one of them is all but guaranteed to be Mitrovic.

General

What is the financial regulation figures and facts re FFP.. if you go over by a certain amount then you're screwed? Or if you go over by a certain number?

FFC_Benster

Exactly hovewhite, and that is what keeps me upbeat

Wow, if this is upbeat I'd hate to hear you on a downer! 🤣

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Deeping_white

Quote from: General on July 19, 2018, 08:29:56 PM

Mitro - £20m
Fabri - £6m
Malcom -
Barrios - 16m
Mbabu - 7-10m
Lopez -
Augustinsson -
Plattenhardt -

We've apparently already spent around 30£m on Seri and Le Marchand - out of how much?

Technically we can sign all of them. I think we've got about £90m we can spend bit if we structure any deals cleverly by not paying the full fee up front then we can sign more players as it were as the outgoings on the books would show certain amortisation of fees per year

YoungsBitter

I had not realized that the Transfer Window early deadline applies only to Premier, not the other European top leagues:
"The great danger for English clubs is that they fail to sell unwanted players before the window closes but are nevertheless forced to complete deals for their replacements. This would leave them in an abysmal negotiating position as they then seek to rid themselves of the sidelined squad members. Clubs from elsewhere in Europe will, by August, be emboldened to submit cut-price offers to now-desperate employers. Indeed, one of the reasons for the slow pace of this window may be that clubs likely to profit in this scenario are tactically delaying their bids while they wait for prices to crash in a few weeks' time. "It's a good idea to close the window before the season starts but only if every country does it on the same day," one Premier League director of recruitment says. "What we've done has given all the other clubs an advantage."
Fulham are doing the right thing in terms of getting a couple of key moves done early - Seri/Le Marchand, Mitro (hopefully), Fabri, one defensive mid then pick up the squad depth when things get desperate for the big squads in the last couple of days. We have a small squad so the problem does not face Fulham.
Quark, strangeness and charm

Deeping_white

Quote from: Statto on July 19, 2018, 09:19:43 PM
Quote from: Deeping_white on July 19, 2018, 09:04:18 PM
Quote from: General on July 19, 2018, 08:29:56 PM

Mitro - £20m
Fabri - £6m
Malcom -
Barrios - 16m
Mbabu - 7-10m
Lopez -
Augustinsson -
Plattenhardt -

Technically we can sign all of them. I think we've got about £90m we can spend bit if we structure any deals cleverly by not paying the full fee up front then we can sign more players as it were as the outgoings on the books would show certain amortisation of fees per year

The limit on losses is £105m but that applies over a rolling 3 Yr period anyway. So you don't really gain anything by the fact deals are accounted for over several years. Perhaps if you sign all players on very long contracts, eg 5yrs, then I suppose you could technically spend £175m and that would amortize at a rate of £35m per year for the next 5yrs, wgich is £105m over 3 yrs, but I think that would be a bit mad. IMO we should push the boat out and spend £90-£100m but that still wouldnt be anywhere near enough to get all that lot named above

Well this year is the exception, providing we stay up. Because we were in the championship last season it's something like £60m loss this year, hence why structuring the deals gives us more wiggle room this year. Take Malcom for example, if we bought him for £30m then paying only £20 up front gives us that extra £10m to play with this year and pay the rest next year when the losses increase. To be fair I think that when you sign a player for X, it's never really that close anyway because a lot of deals are done with particular clauses nowadays, so as long as there is some clever negotiating then we could probably afford all of the above, but I agree we should probably be stretching ourselves to the FFP limit to get the best team possible.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: FFC_Benster on July 19, 2018, 08:40:06 PM

Exactly hovewhite, and that is what keeps me upbeat

Wow, if this is upbeat I'd hate to hear you on a downer! 🤣

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Very wise too, 😎. If I was a battery, I would be Positive.
I am just naturally realistic I suppose.

Never forget your Roots.

YoungsBitter

Quote from: Statto on July 19, 2018, 11:08:55 PM
Quote from: Deeping_white on July 19, 2018, 10:41:35 PM

Also with regard to how deals are structured and how much you pay up front, I'm not sure that makes any difference. My understanding is the accounting concept you mention, amortization, effectively means all puchases, irrespective of how they're structured, are treated as amortizing over each year of the contract. So in your example, if we buy Malcom for £30m on a 3 yr contract, that's treated as a £10m loss for each of those 3 yrs, irrespective of how payment for the player is structured. 
As a non-accountant I will try and explain that last bit. Losses are difference between revenues and expenses in the period. Expenses on 'capital' large items such as buildings and player contracts can be written off over the life of the item so a new stand costing £100 million can be written off over 20 years at £5 million or a 5 year contract with signing fees of £30 million will be £6 million a year expenses. So all the player contracts are written down to zero over the life of the contract. When we sell a player at the end of the 4th year of his contract that was £30million his value on the books is down to £6mm, so if we sell him for £10mm we would have revenue of £10 and expense of 6 so make a gain of £4mm.
So we get revenue from TV which does not get taken into consideration but all other revenues like match day ticket, shirt sponsors, hospitality income and any trading profit on players are then balanced by expenses of players amortization and more importantly their salaries, plus all expenses for running Mospur and the Cottage, staff etc. Thats where the loss or profit is made. So all revenues are important in balancing the permitted losses, hence Dafabet is paying a lot more than Visit Florida was last time we were in the Prem, i am sure.
Quark, strangeness and charm

Jeroen

Does anyone else think this is for Fulham the worst time to move the transfer deadline?

European clubs are not in a hurry to sell and know that come the 8th of August (or 9th) we will be desperate.

Roberty

Quote from: Jeroen on July 20, 2018, 07:41:24 AM
Does anyone else think this is for Fulham the worst time to move the transfer deadline?

European clubs are not in a hurry to sell and know that come the 8th of August (or 9th) we will be desperate.

It might gee them up to get deals done because could still buy until the end of August BUT only if they have the money from the PL

For instance - Rome had no money to spend until they sold their goalkeeper to Liverpool - now they are flush with funds and are allegedly looking to buy Malcom

Pity we don't have a goalkeeper we can sell for £67m
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy