watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

22 days and counting

Started by Jimsbeerbelly, July 20, 2018, 11:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimsbeerbelly

Yes, just 22 days until we kick off against Crystal Palace, or, in better terms, 3 weeks and 1 day...

I know us FFC fans love a panic button during the summer transfer window, and, most will still likely say 'calm down' but, I'm sorry, 3 weeks is not enough time, for a coach and team to gel, ready for the new season.

If we were already an established Premiership side, fair enough, but, we're not, we're trying to build a squad ready to compete with the elite, which I feel, is still 5-6 players short.

I thought we'd push on since signing Siri and Le Marchand, but, with just 3 weeks remaining, I'm still seeing reports that we're scouting players, making offers, triggering release clauses, talking to clubs.

Don't get me wrong, being linked to the likes of Malcolm, Lopez is great, but, unless they're through the door, it's not really resolving anything.

As we all know, you can get away with having half a bad season in the Championship, and still finish strong, but, half a bad season in the Premiership, will see you relegated by Christmas.

I thought we'd have changed our policy slightly when getting promoted, especially with the window being cut short, but, doesn't look like we have.

I just hope we don't get caught with our pants down, and ruin such a great achievement from last season.   

Rambler

Yeh agree.
I raised this point a couple of weeks ago - I think it partly comes down to the slow nature of the window - other clubs are also having a slow time with transfers. It'll speed up as the deadline draws closer. It always does.
Would have been nice to have something resembling a full team in place by now though.

Woolly Mammoth

You have just said what I was thinking.
We shall have to rely on our Crack Recruitment and Negotiation Teams to finish the job they started.
They have to sign a lot of players, quality players, so surely they must be beavering away behind the scenes. As opposed to sleep walking in some sort of coma, or their heads buried in the sand. This is the Premier League we are now in, so I have to accept and assume they have their fingers on the pulse.
Otherwise trousers will be firmly pulled down around our ankles.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

alfie

It has been widely reported that we have made offers for some decent players, I guess we can always go out and sign any old player if that's what people want.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Roberty

Quote from: Statto on July 20, 2018, 02:04:12 PM
Quote from: alfie on July 20, 2018, 01:57:11 PM
It has been widely reported that we have made offers for some decent players, I guess we can always go out and sign any old player if that's what people want.

Why do we assume it has to take ages to sign decent players?

Yes I'm sure it's tough competing with west ham and others to get deal for the likes of Seri over the line. But why is that any tougher than competing with Cardiff, Huddersfield, Watford et al to get deals for lesser players over the line?

Whatever level of player you're going for, they'll be other clubs going in for them.

Why do you assume it doesn't, when the evidence seems to suggest it does take time to sign DECENT players ?

We already have lesser players - I thought the object of the exercise was to get better players - or am I having a senior moment
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Jimsbeerbelly

Quote from: alfie on July 20, 2018, 01:57:11 PM

Sorry, I'm not getting you?

High end targets, or, old fart players, wasn't my augment here. Regardless of who the player is, it's the timescales again. Being new to the Premiership, and having to mould a team in readiness for Palace, won't be cut over 22 days, sorry.

The odd player like Seri, isn't going to keep you in this division, and, as per usual, we seem to be miles behind the pack.

If we were an established Prem side already, then, fair enough, but we're not.

Lighthouse

While we would all want the squad settled and ready now. It never happens in good time. Most players will be able to play a certain way if asked to and are used to fitting into formations and teams. We may slightly underestimate their capacity to fit into the side. However we will all just have to remain frustrated that things continue to move slowly.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Roberty

Quote from: Statto on July 20, 2018, 02:24:54 PM
Quote from: Roberty on July 20, 2018, 02:20:55 PM
Why do you assume it doesn't, when the evidence seems to suggest it does take time to sign DECENT players ?

We already have lesser players - I thought the object of the exercise was to get better players - or am I having a senior moment

What evidence?
Jorginho, Ronaldo, Alisson... Seri... they've all moved.
Some people on here seem to think there's some unwritten rule that only championship standard players can be signed before August.

Yes they have all moved - but it did take time - thanks for the examples - I was struggling to think of any

unwritten rule that only championship standard players I didn't say that - YOU MADE IT UP

supersimmo123

I fully expect there to be 3 new faces in by the end of next week. If that happens we still have 3/4 pre season games to blood these guys in and 2 weeks of training sessions. No need to panic, if you look at many sides they have not done too much in terms of additions. I understand the panic but whats the point in adding numbers and not players both of the right quality and players who the manager and coaching team may not want. Look at last summer, many players, Mollo, Graham, Cisse all came in at the end as a bit of a panic and were all out of sight by January. Its a horrid chain and when other moves happen the market kicks in. I expect in the next 2 weeks you will see significant movement. If we are in the same situation with 1 week to go I will be very concerned.

hovewhite

Getting the taste now just started my Sun fantasy league and picked my team in the league and this year our clubs involved.fantastic!!

SP

Funny enough, my Palace mate is extremely worried by their failure to strengthen so far.  God knows what he'll be like if they sell Zaha.

MikeW

First - I think Jim's original post is spot on.

Second, while being associated with all sorts of star names is great fun the reality is somewhat different.  I would be very happy to see Mitro, Targett and Kalas thro the door but also a Prem quality CH and another goalscorer.  Surely we are on the case with a few of last seasons better loanees - not all I agree?  We must be in the driving seat on these.  Consistently we seem to be by passed on the bread and butter players that play week in, week out and you cannot be without.

A good example is Flint from Bristol City.  Not going to set the world on fire but won't let you down.

I just don't get why we are so consistently slow off the mark
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Deeping_white

Quote from: MikeW on July 20, 2018, 04:00:36 PM
First - I think Jim's original post is spot on.

Second, while being associated with all sorts of star names is great fun the reality is somewhat different.  I would be very happy to see Mitro, Targett and Kalas thro the door but also a Prem quality CH and another goalscorer.  Surely we are on the case with a few of last seasons better loanees - not all I agree?  We must be in the driving seat on these.  Consistently we seem to be by passed on the bread and butter players that play week in, week out and you cannot be without.

A good example is Flint from Bristol City.  Not going to set the world on fire but won't let you down.

I just don't get why we are so consistently slow off the mark

Flint got bought by Middlesbrough

MikeW

Replying to myself: West Ham released James Collins.  He would be a great mentor to our young centre backs while still more than capable of filling a place on the bench and ChequerTrade stuff.  You need an old head now & again.

PS: I know M'boro purchased him .... but did we try?

Roberty

Aden Flint - are you serious - so Middlesbrough brought a hidden gem

I don't get all of this we have to have them in weeks in advance - SJ is not going to teach them to play football

The early preseason is to gain some match fitness - which late arrivals would have done with their current club

hovewhite

Quote from: MikeW on July 20, 2018, 04:05:50 PM
Replying to myself: West Ham released James Collins.  He would be a great mentor to our young centre backs while still more than capable of filling a place on the bench and ChequerTrade stuff.  You need an old head now & again.

no I don't think he's the type slav wants a ball playing CH

Jimsbeerbelly

Quote from: Roberty on July 20, 2018, 04:11:11 PM
Aden Flint - are you serious - so Middlesbrough brought a hidden gem

I don't get all of this we have to have them in weeks in advance - SJ is not going to teach them to play football

The early preseason is to gain some match fitness - which late arrivals would have done with their current club

I'm sorry, but, you are completely and utterly wrong here, and I hope others back me up.

No, they're not taught to play football, but, it takes time, for a new group of players to settle, and understand a new system, along with those new players around them.

If you think this just takes a couple of days, then you are so far away from the game, its unbelievable.

alfie

Quote from: MikeW on July 20, 2018, 04:05:50 PM

We may have made enquiries, it could also be that he did not want to sign for us. Sometimes I get the impression on here that if a players name is mentioned he would automatically want to sign for us.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Arthur

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on July 20, 2018, 04:25:59 PM

I'm sorry, but, you are completely and utterly wrong here, and I hope others back me up.

No, they're not taught to play football, but, it takes time, for a new group of players to settle, and understand a new system, along with those new players around them.

If you think this just takes a couple of days, then you are so far away from the game, its unbelievable.

There is a clear logic to your argument, of course.

What strikes me, however, is that, in past years, when the transfer window ran until the end of August, it seemed to me that threads such as this would typically urge the Club to sign all its players by the start of the season. My memory may be selective, but I don't recall this time in July being widely-touted as the point at which the Club had delayed too long.

This time around, as we all know, we are forced to do all our business before the opening game and yet, unlike other years, it's no longer deemed soon enough.

MikeW

Arthur; sorry but I don't follow your thread.  The fact is we do have to do our business quickly so we need to be acting now - to use your words, 'by the start of the season'.  The season is but a few weeks away and our management team seem to have a hell of a lot to do in a very short time.